Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That's interesting, I haven't been through there since they revised the layout. I would hope that if there are more locations where drivers have to yield turning left, they'll get used to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Today was busy for traffic going from ballymun direction through the new junction.

Whether it's true layout, reduced lanes, light sequence, or increased volume, the standard of piss poor driving there today was astounding.

I saw so man cars just bail into the bus lane without so much as a glance. One right in front of me too. Now that's a a people problem, not a design problem. You sometimes have a Garda up beside Albert college park checking for speeding.

They should have a visual presence regularly for this shite until people cop on (or just have cameras)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's where there should've been a yellow box. Traffic turning right there is never let out by traffic coming from mobhi or Griffith. I've seen some cars letting them out and then dipsticks cutting them off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had an argument with a friend recently, who insisted that when driving in the city, if you don’t drive out beyond stop lines “you’ll never get out”. Thinking about it, he’s probably right in some cases. For some people, the MGIF mentality applies to other drivers as well as cyclists.

A yellow box would at least help discourage the simply inattentive though.

• Advertisement

Has someone a google maps of that junction I'm not familiar with it, cars on the right trying to join there from the wrong side of the road frying my brain, one way system ?

Anyway even if there was a yellow box there, given they are turning right they would have every right to be in it no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's the Ballymun Road/Mobhi Road/Griffith Avenue/Griffith Avenue Extension gyratory

https://goo.gl/maps/pke24w4Ti4T4dTXb6

You can actually see the old and new layouts in Streeview.

Jesus!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So according to this tweet the construction contract would be awarded this January, anyone know if it happened or not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at just the junction in the photo i posted, i think there are nearly 20 traffic light poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Not and unlikely to. They left it too long after receiving bids, a year in total and costs have increased, the tender price isn't valid anymore.

great, that should kick it down the road another year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don’t think this is correct, tender process only finished around May 2021 so tender bids are still valid you’d imagine.

This is from December 24:

The Environment and Transportation Department is pleased to advise Members of the Central and North Central Area Committees that on December 17th 2021 the National Transport Authority confirmed approval to proceed to the construction stage of the Clontarf to City Centre Project. As a result, the construction contract will be awarded in January 2022. A construction planning and project set-up phase will commence in February 2022, and construction is expected to commence in April 2022. During the project set-up phase, the contractor will prepare detailed traffic management plans and update the plan for sequencing of works to ensure timely delivery of the project. Once these are available, the DCC Project Team will be in a position to present the plans to the Central Area and North Central Area Committees, as well as engage with residents and businesses that may be impacted.

A project information leaflet has been prepared for issue to residents and businesses along the route and in the surrounding areas. This will be issued in January 2022. Further information will issue soon thereafter in relation to the detailed works programme and the project team will engage with directly affected businesses and residents. DCC aims to ensure that the project will be delivered in such a way as to minimise disruption to the surrounding areas as much as possible. Access to businesses and homes will be maintained at all times during the works.

The project information booklet mentioned was issued a few days ago:

I've asked if the contract has been awarded yet, I should get an answer next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I stand corrected. Contract awarded today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

It was never in doubt at this stage. Construction to start in April.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wait for the build up of bile about €62million being spent on a bit of a cycle path. A quick look on the DCC facebook page shows that it has started...

While I was on FB, I saw this in reply to an announcement about the new contra-flow cycle lane, between Ballymun Road and Mobhi Road, on Griffith Avenue...

"I'm all for bike lanes but......." 🙄

The one thing these people miss, is that they are mostly people driving their kids to school, yet they all live well within walking and cycling distance of the schools, and pretty much all of the schools in the area are easily reachable by public transport too.

I do think the design is a bit crap though. There's something just not quite right about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume it is because people don't want to see themselves as being part of a problem while they are trying to live their normal lives. It suits to take the easy way out.

Yeah. I live very near the junction, and traffic being crap in the morning isn't exactly new there

The signals were altered this morning, and now the cycle light goes green at the same time as the general traffic light. Not good.

So I did what you’ve suggested there (proceeded on to the second stop line). In order to not block the Griffith Avenue cycle track, I had to position myself as such that I had to crane my neck backwards in order to see the cycle signal.

Surely the C2C thing can still get Mannixed? Counsellors etc will start losing it when they realise the inconveniences it will cause their motorist constituents

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Nah this is completely different to the Strand Road development, it's gone through the proper planning permission process since 2017, and constructions about to start.

Any objections would've had to have been made about 2 years ago now.

Yeah I guess the Sandymount one was a kind of sudden temporary arrangements. The mouthbreather anti-everything motorist loonies will totally lose their sh*t when they see the disruption and money involved in this project. I really can't wait for Fairview to be sorted out, 20 odd years cycling through there, it's been a long time coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You didn't go to school in Joey's by any chance, did you? 😉

Delighted to see this progressing, Lots of publicity the last few days, informational leaflets dropped into local houses etc. People will complain about the cost, but it's far more than a cycle lane - bus lanes, pedestrian upgrades, bus stops, sewers, water infrastructure all included, plus some linkages to new greenways as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Advertisement