Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mchale bale handler

• 23-03-2021 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I have a mchale bale handler here for the front loader. I would often load fertiliser with it and put a half tonne bag on each spike.

Would it be a bit too much to ask these to move a full pallet of fertiliser out of a trailer? As in stick the two spikes into the pallet and lift it all off in one go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Don't do it. A compromise to say the least. Bound to be a dairy man near hand with pallet forks for/with a loader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Lifting 2 ton with a front loader would be serious pressure on any tractor. An option would be to lift 2 bags off at a time and store on separate pallets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

The bale handler certainly wouldn't be designed for that kind of weight, nor would the loader probably....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

Ya I can lift them off in twos but was just thinking what would a person get away with lifting on a pallet. Maybe a tonne is even plenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Once the straps that bind the 4 bags together are cut it makes the bags unstable on the pallet. At the price of the stuff at the moment I wouldnt be taking the risk of a bag falling and splitting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

mengele wrote: »
    Ya I can lift them off in twos but was just thinking what would a person get away with lifting on a pallet. Maybe a tonne is even plenty

Those handlers are probably lifting plenty of bales up around the ton mark. But a pallet would probably extend the weight out beyond the end of the prongs a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

My MX 75U loader is maxed out at 1.2/1.3m lifting a gang slat on a 105hp tractor

Some of the 160/200HP tractors will lift 2 ton no problem with pallet forks. Local lad here use to deliver all the pallets of fert for a co-op on a bale trailer and John deere tractor even back 10/12 years ago.

The bale lifter your on about (Spikes with 2 rollers) like realistic 1 bale of silage of max 1ton is there design . you buy a set of pallet forks for 350/400 euro. set here cost me about 250 and are on the tractor weekly all year around. Pallets, IBC, dropping implements into a shed , meal, fert, silage wrap, cement and blocks even a bale of silage if I was to lazy to swap it off

mengele wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Certainly not advisable with a bale spike. When you carry 2 half tonne bags the weight is carried at the widest strongest part of the spike.

Even with a pallet forks, 2 ton on a pallet forks is at the upper capability of the largest loader’s

A quickie Q75 or Q980 will have the rams to lift regardless of tractor but it’s then up to the tractor being able to actually move about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

you buy a set of pallet forks for 350/400 euro. set here cost me about 250

Please show me where I can pick up a set for that money. Can't find any under 500.

timple23 wrote: »
    Please show me where I can pick up a set for that money. Can't find any under 500.

Place in Armagh selling them for 350 sterling on Donedeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Place in Armagh selling them for 350 sterling on Donedeal

That price is carraige only, they're 450 sterling plus vat incl brackets and forks.

timple23 wrote: »
    That price is carraige only, they're 450 sterling plus vat incl brackets and forks.

Grand well im not looking for a set I have my set 6 years and that's the price they cost me. im sure if you watch the classified adds and have the money and time to move straight away you will pick up a forks in the price range

Of buy an old forklift mast head and get someone to weld the brackets on to suit your loader

Advertisement