Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it me??

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

enricoh wrote: »
    Now that I'm a multi millionaire there will be anyway! The missus may get the shotgun out!

Join a swingers club, works both ways then.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Danzy wrote: »
    I'll give you 20k for both but you have to fill them with diesel.

I'll throw in an ifor Williams with an ibc full of diesel if I got that price!

lads do be on about land and the attachment to it. i said to dad years ago, if a motorway was coming this way would you sell the house and farm to them? his reply was, id never see that sort of money coming this way again, let them have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

lads do be on about land and the attachment to it. i said to dad years ago, if a motorway was coming this way would you sell the house and farm to them? his reply was, id never see that sort of money coming this way again, let them have it.

About 30 years ago there were plans for a motorway to come through middle of farm (60 acres). The father was fierce annoyed about it at the time as farm is is rectangle in shape and the plans were for straight down the middle of the long part. Thankfully it never came.

Everyone to their own but I certainly wouldn’t like motorway down the middle of farm regardless of what money I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

josephsoap wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/28154202

€15,250 for 2006 landcruiser ����

Sounds reasonable considering I paid 750 Euro more (ie 16k inc. vat ) for the same year Landcruiser.
    Granted I bought mine from a main Toyota dealer with a 1 year warranty ,It was a LWB ,had 120k less on it ,serviced and had injector recall done. Ok the tyre's were not brand new but it did have a full years test on it .Also I had no trade in .

Almost forgot ;I bought mine in September 2009 which is 12 years ago in 4 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dunedin wrote: »
    About 30 years ago there were plans for a motorway to come through middle of farm (60 acres). The father was fierce annoyed about it at the time as farm is is rectangle in shape and the plans were for straight down the middle of the long part. Thankfully it never came.

Everyone to their own but I certainly wouldn’t like motorway down the middle of farm regardless of what money I got.

No one wants a motorway through their farm but when it happens you won't stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    No one wants a motorway through their farm but when it happens you won't stop it.

Unless you're Peter Sweetman.

https://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.org/papers-today/43-views-opinons/15020-

Yea, I ran up against him a few times,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No mention of felling licences there?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    No mention of felling licences there?

None but I think there's references to forestry on that site.

It's a pity people with that thought don't see timber as a crop.
    Apparently there's a shortage in the US as well whether it's the same as objections to felling licenses as here and the same collaboration.

If we are to drawdown carbon. It has to be harvested, used in long-term building or furniture or cooked for centuries storage. .and the land resown in as fast as turn around as possible.

Leaving in situ risks burn down and carbon release or rot and release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Your dad was a wise wise man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Like selling a mare... "put her into your pocket"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Era there's something nice about walking through a field being on a zoom call to someone in America or trading a few shares on the phone and pausing for a second to wonder what my ancestors would have been doing 100 years ago in the same spot, hard to put a price on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Talked with a friend about selling land one day. No way would he sell he said. I said if say in exceptional circumstances I got 2-3 times the value of the place I would let it off if I knew there was a bigger suitable holding to buy that would work for us.
    I know people see the hardship their ancestors put into the place, but I’d think if they got the opportunity to sell and buy a bigger place they would have done it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Talked with a friend about selling land one day. No way would he sell he said. I said if say in exceptional circumstances I got 2-3 times the value of the place I would let it off if I knew there was a bigger suitable holding to buy that would work for us.
    I know people see the hardship their ancestors put into the place, but I’d think if they got the opportunity to sell and buy a bigger place they would have done it too

Yeah maybe but what’s the likelihood of someone to come in and give you multiple times the value of your farm and a suitable (bigger)farm being available at the same time.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Yeah maybe but what’s the likelihood of someone to come in and give you multiple times the value of your farm and a suitable (bigger)farm being available at the same time.

If you had a year after selling that you couldn't buy a farm, You'd never go back to farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Normal case scenario id never sell the farm ... but if a gold mine was discovered underneath ya might have to let it good :) !! on the other hand isn't there a tainted element of inheriting land that u should never sell but pass onto the next generation? You often hear the " his father would turn in his grave if he sells" type spiel from a neighbour about another. When I was out in New Zealand they couldn't believe that element of sentimental value attracted to land... if they could sell and buy a different better/ more valuable piece of land it was a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

rs8 wrote: »
    Normal case scenario id never sell the farm ... but if a gold mine was discovered underneath ya might have to let it good :) !! on the other hand isn't there a tainted element of inheriting land that u should never sell but pass onto the next generation? You often hear the " his father would turn in his grave if he sells" type spiel from a neighbour about another. When I was out in New Zealand they couldn't believe that element of sentimental value attracted to land... if they could sell and buy a different better/ more valuable piece of land it was a no brainer.

Funny - it seems to be when you’re younger you have that “I’d never sell” attitude.

As you get older, it seems to fade, but the time it’s gone, and you say to the next lad “sell it if you want, don’t feel beholden to it” - they are in the “I’d never sell” mode
    ;)

That’s what kinda happened here anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

wrangler wrote: »
    If you had a year after selling that you couldn't buy a farm, You'd never go back to farming.

The first thing most of the super rich and privileged do is buy farm.
    Owning a farm is more than being a farmer, it enables a lifestyle that is hard to surpass especially for rearing a family.
    I wouldn't sell the place here, but it's a fairly special spot to live. It's got a lot of geographical and historical extras but it mightn't be the best farm to make a living from. Many farms have very little going for them apart from their agricultural value and I wouldn't swop what I have for such a farm.

rs8 wrote: »

Careful what you wish for, if they did discover gold they'll get the Government against you and destroy your land, forget about Beverly Hills. We had a long and hard battle here against a Canadian mining co. because of low grade gold & silver and molybdenum.

That's an ill-fitting characterisation at best. So who are the organizers of this ponzi? Where can I find them? If the ponzi was started with the publishing of the bitcoin whitepaper back in October 2008, can you point out where it touted the financial riches that awaits participants? That's generally how a ponzi works, right? Here's a link to the Bitcoin Whitepaper if you'd like to dig that out for us.

Anyone couldn't but have respect for the Oracle of Omaha. However, he's not infallible. He openly admitted that he got it all wrong on tech stocks (Apple, google, facebook, etc). Tech isn't his strong suit. Furthermore, there's a definite demographic trend with regard to who is embracing digital assets and who isn't. Older people can't get their head round the notion of a digital asset or currency. From millennials down, it's second nature - increasingly so as we go down the way. Meanwhile, a whole host of notable people from finance and tech have changed their opinion and now see the value in bitcoin.

I know you read that somewhere but it's not true. Cerca 2017 this nonsense used to be rolled out all the time - not so much any more. A couple of questions...
    - How long did tulipmania last?
    - What attributes do tulips have as a store of value or as money? Compare those attributes (you won't find any!) with bitcoins attributes in that regard.

That's one hell of a 'confidence trick' what with it being around for 12 years and having a market capitalisation of $1.08 trillion today.

That;s a fair point. However, gold is not revenue-producing....just like bitcoin. If I buy gold, then the only way I can profit from it is if someone pays me more for it, right? Isn't that what you said about bitcoin? What about FX markets? Those have existed for donkey's years. Those who trade in them only turn a profit if number go up and yet its a legitimate marketplace?

It takes a shed tonne of energy to mint a bitcoin so it's not created from nothing.

I wonder how many people were duped by this bull talk and bought bitcoin?

• Advertisement

Crypto is volatile, always has been that way. I'm gradually convincing myself to get back in. The only thing stopping me is being broke :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Bought in March 2020.
    Sold 90% of what I had in January 2021.

My stock has dropped 33% in value since then. I won't cash out, I've already made profit from what I cashed out.

timple23 wrote: »
    Bought in March 2020.
    Sold 90% of what I had in January 2021.

My stock has dropped 33% in value since then. I won't cash out, I've already made profit from what I cashed out.

At the end of the day it's just gambling.
    You've won this time.

Imagine if you read the message I replied to and invested your savings based on that talk at the height of the boom.
    You'd have just given your cash to someone like yourself who bought in 2020 and was waiting for someone else that thought there was still an upward trend and decided it was a good time to get into the market and buy your stock.

Elon Musk is laughing all the way. They bought in at the bottom. Announced they'd take bitcoin as payment for their goods. Amassed a good amount. It boomed in price. Then sold it all at the height of the market.
    It dropped some on that news. Now it's dropped more since he announced he won't take payment of bitcoin for his goods.
    Great fella that he has bitcoin under his control.

Of course you know the merry go round will start all over again. But then you don't know how long and for Elon will drop it down and when Elon will buy back in or take it as payment or even if he will at all.

You've won this time.

Imagine if you read the message I replied to and invested your savings based on that talk at the height of the boom.
    You'd have just given your cash to someone like yourself who bought in 2020 and was waiting for someone else that thought there was still an upward trend and decided it was a good time to get into the market and buy your stock.

Elon Musk is laughing all the way. They bought in at the bottom. Announced they'd take bitcoin as payment for their goods. Amassed a good amount. It boomed in price. Then sold it all at the height of the market.
    It dropped some on that news. Now it's dropped more since he announced he won't take payment of bitcoin for his goods.

Of course you know the merry go round will start all over again. But then you don't know how long and for Elon will drop it down and when Elon will buy back in or take it as payment or even if he will at all.

But couldn’t the same be said for a lot of stocks or shares, or currencies. They go up and down...
    I guess anything you buy could either increase or decrease in value.

And who knows, maybe we’ll be reading this in 6 months time saying the opposite, that the people who bought then have still make a fortune...

If it isn’t your thing fair enough, but some people are into it...

But couldn’t the same be said for a lot of stocks or shares, or currencies. They go up and down...

And who knows, maybe we’ll be reading this in 6 months time saying the opposite, that the people who bought then have still make a fortune...

It's still gambling.

And now controlled massively seemingly on the thoughts and actions of one person.

People are into lots of things..

It's still gambling.

And now controlled massively seemingly on the thoughts and actions of one person.

People are into lots of things..

Oh, it is gambling Say...

But could you argue that anyone with a pension is gambling to an extent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Stocks and shares are backed in that you're investing in a company that generate revenue, bitcoin isn't backed by anything, the only value in bitcoin is generated by people believing it had value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

You've won this time.

Key point is to only invest what you can afford to lose, that must be rule no. 1 of investing.

One of the reasons there is very little return from savings in banks is because there is very little risk.

I could invest in a weanling tomorrow with the intention of fattening them and they could die of illness or injury. I would be left with nothing.

I think now is a time to hold onto money and not do any rash spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Oh, it is gambling Say...

But could you argue that anyone with a pension is gambling to an extent?

Even with a defined benefit pension ?

9935452 wrote: »
    Even with a defined benefit pension ?

No - but they are in short supply now. Does anywhere still offer them? Do the semi states still have them?

Although I have a bit of one myself, unfortunately it’s very small... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

No - but they are in short supply now. Does anywhere still offer them? Do the semi states still have them?

Although I have a bit of one myself, unfortunately it’s very small... :(

I have one too. Up to a few years ago they were still offering one. Tbh i dont actually know if they still do. .
    Its a good benefit of the job that when i was younger never really appreciated

Advertisement