Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First AMD build

Options
  • 24-03-2021 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

First time going with an AMD cpu, curious if everything looks ok. I know the motherboard will need to be flashed with a usb stick but other than that? Maybe I've missed something and there's something incompatible :o

I'll hang onto my 1070 for the foreseeable future until things are less crazy before upgrading the gpuHaven't used caseking.de before but the shipping seems reasonable. Appreciate any thoughts before biting the bullet

2TDAGX5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

The ram looks a bit expensive for the speed, you should be able to get 3600CL16 for less e.g. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B083V93HJG

I think 500W is cutting it a bit fine on the psu but guess it depends what sort of gpu you are thinking of down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

What Resolution are you playing at? 5600X might be worth it for 1080p gaming but a 3600 will do grand at 1440p/4k

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bewareofthedog

minitrue wrote: »
    The ram looks a bit expensive for the speed, you should be able to get 3600CL16 for less e.g. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B083V93HJG

I think 500W is cutting it a bit fine on the psu but guess it depends what sort of gpu you are thinking of down the road.

Cheers will look around for a faster ram set, there's a seasonic 600w same model that's a tad more expensive I'll get one them instead

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    What Resolution are you playing at? 5600X might be worth it for 1080p gaming but a 3600 will do grand at 1440p/4k

Currently 1080p with a 144hz screen. Into the competitive shooters so the extra frames are borderline worth it I guess. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

That same motherboard is a lot cheaper on amazon.de -

[url] https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08BCQF1BD[/url]

The Tomahawk variant is currently at €155.90 but there is an 8 euro voucher available to reduce it further at checkout.

Semi-modular Be quiet! System Power 9 Cable Management 600W psu is €71.55

Amazon de have a nice selection of Be quiet cases too. The pure Base 500 is available in black and white for less than €75 euro

If you got all your components on amazon.de (fulfilled by amazon or sold by amazon) the shipping would be around €25

If you must have the ryzen 5600x you could see if you could get one tomorrow directly from AMD. They usually appear in stock on the amd shop around 4:30pm. It would cost about €330 shipped from AMD

https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/5450881700/ie

• Advertisement

With the above posts I've decided to spend a little more and did more research on psu's and cases etc. Unfortunately the 5600x is overpriced on amazon uk and it's out of stock on .de so I'll have to source it elsewhere hopefully from confused suggestion of buying directly from amd. Pretty happy with how it's looking. psu is 600w

NcSxnEP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MSI B550 Tomahawk is a waste of money IMHO
    Only advantage it has over MSI B550-A Pro is a better audio chip.
    I think someone above was confusing it for the X570 Tomahawk which IS an upgrade (insane VRM, lots of headers, Wi-Fi)

MSI have me confused :pac:

I was thinking Pro B550-A actually had the B550A chipset (rebranded B450) while the Tomahawk was B550 proper. As it turns out they're both B550 chipset so performance should be the same. Still the Tomahawk has shiny stuff, lights and two m.2 heatsinks :)

That Be-quiet case is a beautiful case. My brother has the black version , it's big so measure your intended storage location.

The Ryzen 5600x is way overpriced on Amazon UK. I had one in my basket on the AMD store last week but without a gpu for a new build I'm thinking about I decided against buying it. I also found it for $299 on amazon US sold directly by amazon with import fees and delivery to Ireland it was still cheaper than from amazon UK. AMD direct was the cheapest option

I should have asked if RGB lighting is something you think you'd consider or would like on your new build. It's a form over function thing and can be cheap enough to add at a later point but with a component like RAM slots if it's something you'd like you should consider getting it now rather than later.

There was no drop on AMD products today on their website , but the 5600x is available for preorder on Amazon de for €324 euro, due in stock on the 28th of March

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can see 5600X here: https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement