Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club fundraising / gambling crossover

Options
  • 24-03-2021 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

My local club have been running a game called "last one standing" for a few years. It basically involves people picking a winning team for a weekend of premier league games on consecutive weeks. You can't pick the same team twice. If I pick Liverpool o week 1 and the lose, I am out. If they win I am through to the next week but I can no longer pick Liverpool. It keeps going until there is only one person left.

Locals, members, friends contribute 20 EUR to join, we typically get 150 joiners. 3k brought in and it's split 70/30 between the club and the winner. If there is 3,000 brought in, the club gets 2,100 and the winner gets 900.

There is a bit of admin to in, trying to meet lads to get money, lads promising to pay next week, paying half, you know how it is, a pain in the backside!!

There is a question as to whether this is legal or not in the first place but it is back of an envelope stuff so nobody really worries about it. However a local computer whiz kid has offered to build the Last One Standing competition in to the clubs website, totally automating it and allowing people to buy in to the game online.

Brilliant but suddenly it's all very official. Is it legal or do you need some sort of gambling license? Technically it probably is gambling. Anyone able to throw some light on where we stand?

Advertisement