Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway block paved

Options
  • 24-03-2021 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I got two quotes for paving our drive way, 70sqm. One was €6000 and the other €3500. Wouldn't have a clue about costs on this stuff. Usually quotes are not far off but these are way off, anyone any idea which is closer to reality?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Sounds like a lack of information somewhere. When you asked for a price, did you tell them both exactly what paviour you wanted, whether you wanted kerbs or not, and if thre was any landscaping work to be done aftrwards to make good between existign landscaped areas and new paving (if they had to dig out for a kerb, say!)?
    If you have picked a paving slab, can you get a supply price only for the 70sqm (from wherever you saw it)? Then get the 2 builders to price fitting it only (asking how long they think it wil take).

If they are not pricing the same slab, or if one of them is not pricing for the slab at all, there will be a big cost difference.
    Also, is there much landscaping or leveling work to be done after they finish?

Average price for supply and fit of pavign slabs including a prepaired base is from €40 - €135 per sqm...... with other finishing works around the paving priced separately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Weezer84 wrote: »
    Hi, I got two quotes for paving our drive way, 70sqm. One was €6000 and the other €3500. Wouldn't have a clue about costs on this stuff. Usually quotes are not far off but these are way off, anyone any idea which is closer to reality?
    Thanks

Something is wrong here.
    No way 70 Sq. M can be done for 3500 unless its basic poured concrete with no finishing detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I've had three guys out today to look at driveway & patio. All were given the same email (measurements, photo, roughly what we're looking for). 9,100, 9,000 and 6,800. One of the high ones was just for tarmac on the drive, the others were for blocks/pavings stones front and back. All talking about doing the same thing more or less, the cheapest quote actually suggesting to cover slightly more area. Wild differences. For context, driveway is 35sqm and patio 22sqm near as dammit, also including getting two manholes replaced, a pillar getting taken down and moved across and a step to the house front and back. Will be getting a couple more quotes just to be sure.

hots wrote: »
    I've had three guys out today to look at driveway & patio. All were given the same email (measurements, photo, roughly what we're looking for). 9,100, 9,000 and 6,800. One of the high ones was just for tarmac on the drive, the others were for blocks/pavings stones front and back. All talking about doing the same thing more or less, the cheapest quote actually suggesting to cover slightly more area. Wild differences. For context, driveway is 35sqm and patio 22sqm near as dammit, also including getting two manholes replaced, a pillar getting taken down and moved across and a step to the house front and back. Will be getting a couple more quotes just to be sure.

Just in case it's useful for someone, we've had another quote there for 11,000 for the same as above. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Just in case it's useful for someone, we've had another quote there for 11,000 for the same as above. Mental.

Had back garden done in Ceramic tiles 76sq mtrs with drains around the edge and 3 planters in decorative brick. Not sure what type of brick is used by name.

Garden didn't need much leveling as some work done over a previous patio and hardcore already in place. 3 levels to the garden.

Price was 9000 and was finished last July and this included about 3000 for labour. No way would 70sqm be 3500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

(I commented on another thread but thought this would be answered here)

I have a patch of grass beside our driveway, Im looking to get concrete laid to widen it a bit so we don't step on grass when getting out of the car
    (basic laid no design or finishing)

its 23 foot in length and 3 foot across.

Any idea what I would pay? I only got one quote and was for 3k (quoted over the phone after sending a picture) but I thought this was mad money...maybe im wrong

fitzparker wrote: »
    (I commented on another thread but thought this would be answered here)

I have a patch of grass beside our driveway, Im looking to get concrete laid to widen it a bit so we don't step on grass when getting out of the car
    (basic laid no design or finishing)

its 23 foot in length and 3 foot across.

Any idea what I would pay? I only got one quote and was for 3k (quoted over the phone after sending a picture) but I thought this was mad money...maybe im wrong

you're probably in the realm of it being a small job that's not worth the time at that size, get another couple of quotes and see what they come back with, could be worth leaving it until you've more to bundle together with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

you're probably in the realm of it being a small job that's not worth the time at that size, get another couple of quotes and see what they come back with, could be worth leaving it until you've more to bundle together with it?

I thought that myself, its not a necessity, just a nice to have, I hate dragging the bins through the grass in the winter!

iv another patch the other side but want to keep that its about (15 across by 23 foot) by the last quote id be looking at about 15k to have cement laid on that!

Signed and sealed with the 6,800 crew, 5 quotes got and they were the cheapest and had the best feel from the reviews and talking to them, don't think we can do more than that. Includes the drive, patio, a foot of wall being knocked and a pillar moved (to widen the drive), two steps, some kerbing, two drains being replaced with new lids/inserts/concrete base and then the topsoil being moved from the new patio area to a sloped part of the garden and leveled up. Still pricey but if we get a good finish it'll be well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Did you get that quote in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Did you get that quote in Dublin?

Yep. If you're looking for quotes keep an eye out for "interesting" measuring methods (I had 100sqm said to me twice) and "different" companies sending out guys to give quotes (one for substantially more than the other, followed by a strong recommendation to go with the cheaper guy). :rolleyes:

Advertisement