Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia v Republic of Ireland Match Thread - K.O 19.45 24/03/21 - Mod Note in OP

• 24-03-2021 11:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod note added 22.35

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116684251&postcount=624
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Mod: please stay on topic of the game and do not make personal comments or broad commentary about the thread. If you can't keep the discussion about soccer or are not willing to disagree with others respectfully then do not post.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/serbia-v-ireland-what-time-what-channel-and-all-you-need-to-know-about-tonights-world-cup-qualifier-40233489.html

Ireland's World Cup qualifying campaign kicks off this evening with Stephen Kenny still searching for his first win as Ireland boss.

Here's all you need to know about tonight's game.

What time is kick-off?

7.45pm Irish time.

Where can I watch it?

The game will be shown on RTE2 and Sky Sports Football with coverage on both starting at 7PM. We'll also be live-blogging all the action as it happens here on Independent.ie.

What will Ireland's starting line-up look like?

Once again., Stephen Kenny's plans have been decimated by circumstances beyond his control with a hefty injury last rather than Covid-19 the issue this week.

His first and second choice keepers are both missing after the weekend news that Caoimhín Kelleher was joining Darren Randolph on the injury list. Kenny has since confirmed that Bournemouth's Mark Travers will make his competitive debut between the sticks.

James McCarthy and John Egan had already been ruled out by the time Kelleher, Conor Hourihane, Callum O’Dowda and Kevin Long were ruled out last Sunday and the likes of James McClean and Aaron Connolly have joined up with the squad carrying knocks.

This has left the Irish boss with the below squad to pick from and it's thought that both Seamus Coleman and Matt Doherty will start tonight.

Goalkeepers: Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Gavin Bazunu (Rochdale, on loan from Manchester City), Kieran O'Hara (Burton Albion).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Ryan Manning (Swansea City), Cyrus Christie (Nottingham Forest), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders: Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Jayson Molumby (Preston North End, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), Jason Knight (Derby County), Josh Cullen (Anderlecht), Conor Coventry (West Ham United), Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McClean (Stoke City), Daryl Horgan (Wycombe Wanderers), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth).

Strikers: Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Shane Long (AFC Bournemouth, on loan from Southampton), James Collins (Luton Town), Troy Parrott (Ipswich Town, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur).

What about Serbia?

Serbia will be hoping for a new manager bounce with Dragan Stojkovic who takes over with the side at a low ebb following their Euro 20 play-off defeat to Scotland. It's slim pickings in terms of players familiar to a Premier League audience with Manchester United and Crystal Palace midfielders Nemanja Matic and Luka Milivojevic both recently retired from international football. Former Manchester City defender Aleksandar Kolarov is also absent leaving Fulham’s Aleksandar Mitrovic the only Premier League player in the squad with Ajax's ex-Southampton man Dusan Tadic also present.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

may god have mercy on us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Never underestimate the ability of an Irish team to pull together as a group and make a go of a tough assignment. We have a great bunch of players who always give us their best effort.

I think we will hang around this game and make a fist of it. Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Can’t see anything other than a convincing win for the Boys in Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Feel sorry for SK.

This is the weakest Irish squad in my memory, and it's hammered with injuries as well.

A draw would be a good result tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

All I want is not to be bored to tears and the players give it a lash. I have faith in Stephen Kenny and the players to at least give the group a go, despite the number of injuries in the first game. I hope this is the beginning of a golden era of Irish football and when the Aviva opens again, I can leave the pillow at home. COYBIG

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Travers
    Coleman Clark O’Shea Stevens
    Browne Cullen Knight
    Robinson Long Connolly

is the team I would pick. In reality I think it is going to be something closer to:

Travers
    Coleman Clark Duffy Stevens
    Doherty Hendrick Cullen Brady McClean
    Collins

A result from this game would be so huge for the team and SK, here’s hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The one thing that always gives you hope/fear with Ireland, is that they're capable of getting results that just defy footballing logic.

For good and for bad, incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    The one thing that always gives you hope/fear with Ireland, is that they're capable of getting results that just defy footballing logic.

For good and for bad, incidentally.

I remember us being played off the park in Serbia, and coming away with a 2-2 draw. Anything’s possible. But very worried about getting a hiding this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As per the main Ireland thread, my guess at a team.

Travers
    Coleman - Duffy - O'Shea - Stevens
    Doherty - Cullen - Hendrick - Brady
    Knight
    Long/Connolly

I think Connolly would definitely start if fit, if he's not there then it'll be Long.

I think with Serbia having a good midfield, I would hope our main aim is to pack our midfield to try and stifle them. I am hoping to see an improvement in our set pieces, in a tight edgy game, it could be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can we get a poll added on whether we will actually score a goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd take a draw but it's hard to see us getting any goals. If Serbia score first were goosed

I would of put Coventry in the squad because it has the potential to be another Rice saga if he turns out anyway good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd take a draw but it's hard to see us getting any goals. If Serbia score first were goosed

I would of put Coventry in the squad because it has the potential to be another Rice saga if he turns out anyway good

Hopefully it's the plan for Luxembourg

As per the main Ireland thread, my guess at a team.

Travers
    Coleman - Duffy - O'Shea - Stevens
    Doherty - Cullen - Hendrick - Brady
    Knight
    Long/Connolly

I think Connolly would definitely start if fit, if he's not there then it'll be Long.

I think with Serbia having a good midfield, I would hope our main aim is to pack our midfield to try and stifle them. I am hoping to see an improvement in our set pieces, in a tight edgy game, it could be the difference.

Looking at that team I'd say a number of those are up for debate, particularly the midfield.

I think Hendrick and Brady are guaranteed starters in midfield. Cullen and Knight are probably likely to miss out to Molumby and Browne - I hope Cullen gets a start but based on past selections he's bottom of the pecking order from the list of midfielders just named.

If he goes 3-5-2 as is being rumoured based on talk of Coleman and Doherty both starting then I think it will be...

Travers

O'Shea
    Duffy
    Coleman

Stevens
    Browne
    Hendrick
    Brady
    Doherty

Connolly
    Robinson

sugarman wrote: »

Jaysus. That means McClean is in the squad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It has taken a lot longer than normal but the excitement has finally arrived and starting to feel hopeful we could snatch a result. Rumours that we might go 3-5-2, I would be very happy if that was the case and it would allow us to field our players in positions that suit them and maybe surprise the Serbs.

Still think we will lose but you can never write us off completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

We could win tonight if Ireland line out 352 with a bit more direct football (not hoofball).

Same no goal crap if it's 433 and tippy tappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont see how playing one way and not the other will result in our strikers putting their chances away any better.

Its not creating chances thats been our problem, its the finishing.

True enough that you need them to put chances away - though I do feel better about the idea of a pair up front, purely in that the strikers have a better chance of receiving the ball under a bit less pressure, and closer to goal.

Generally speaking, our '1 up' is playing back to goal with a lot of work to be done if they're gonna turn that possession into a goal - probably via a layoff and return from a wide-forward. Meanwhile, the way we've been playing, the wide forwards have been very wide - out close to the touchline, bringing the width. So as it stands, our 3 attackers are very rarely in a position where they can receive a pass, take one touch and shoot. There's almost always more work needed than that. Now, in practice, our way of playing hasn't necessarily been to get goals from those guys, it's been to get possession and control higher up the pitch so that a whole range of players can be on the end of a chance. But since we're not scoring from midfielders getting good chances, I'd be happy for us to change things up try to create more chances closer to goal for the guys that (in theory at least) are more natural scorers.

With the width coming from fullbacks in a 3-5-2, our forwards can go back to basics a bit and just focus on finding a little pocket of space to receive the ball, touch, and shoot - or lay off to their partner in a better spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Duffy, Hendrick and Brady all on the bench. Never thought I'd see the day. To be fair to Kenny, he can't be accused of reverting to type and picking the old favourites. This selection alone shows that. Plenty of youth there, hopefully we can give it a crack. I'd be happy with a draw though in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,606 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Travers
    Coleman Clark O’Shea
    Doherty Molumby Cullen Stevens
    Browne Connolly Robinson

I hope a clean sheet and 2-0 win for ROI

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Glad to see Kenny showing a bit of tactical flexibility, dogmatically sticking to 433 was looking a poor choice with each game.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mon Ireland!

Very interesting selection - most of the things I wanted are in there anyway, particularly Cullen, Molumby, and Browne in midfield. Looks a much more active bunch than we've seen in some of the previous games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Given the Serbian physicality upfront and that he's gone for 3 at the back, im a little surprised Duffy didn't get in but the right call on form.

Energetic looking team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Good to see Seamie back and to see Cullen in and not before time Hendrick is dropped. This is an interesting team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Shocked with that team selection, but a good shocked. Looking forward to tonight's game even more after seeing the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Very happy with that selection. Excitement has risen for me. Looking forward to it now.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm excited as well.

I'm surprised Hendrick is dropped because of his experience (esp with Hourihane out) but at the same time you can't be too surprised by it either considering his form.

Glad to see Cullen start. He's been excellent for Anderlecht by all accounts.

Duff wrote: »
    Very happy with that selection. Excitement has risen for me. Looking forward to it now.

Same... looks to play to just about everyone's strengths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Travers
    Coleman Clark O’Shea
    Doherty Molumby Cullen Stevens
    Browne Connolly Robinson

I hope a clean sheet and 2-0 win for ROI

Is it a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2. Interesting formation. Risky, hopefully will be rewarded with a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like the line-up. Delighted to see Hendrick benched which is a long time coming. Pleased to see Cullen and Molumby getting a chance too.

Serbia line-up isn't as bad as I feared either. No Milinkovic-Savic, Jovic, Kostic or Mitrovic (despite his club form his international form is very good). Serbia fans seem concerned, which is good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No complaints with that team, pretty much exactly what I'd have gone with in the circumstances. Hopefully we get a performance.

Very happy with that team, ballsy selection from Kenny. Genuinely expected to see Hendrick, Duffy and Brady in there.

Same here

Expecting a lot of energy in CM from Cullen and Molumby.

Wonder how much influence the new lad Anthony Barry possibly had with tonight's team selection and going 3-5-2.

I like the line-up. Delighted to see Hendrick benched which is a long time coming. Pleased to see Cullen and Molumby getting a chance too.

Serbia line-up isn't as bad as I feared either. No Milinkovic-Savic, Jovic, Kostic or Mitrovic (despite his club form his international form is very good). Serbia fans seem concerned, which is good.

Really surprised by a few of their decisions! Still though, have to be very wary of young Vlahović, having a great season at Fiorentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Not too many predicted that team, balls of steel from SK, fcuked out the hasbeens, Duffy, hendrick, Brady, 1st time I've got exited about an ROI team in years. Anything better than 0-0 will satisfy me

Wonder how much influence the new lad Anthony Barry possibly had with tonight's team selection and going 3-5-2.
    I still think it will be 4-5-1/4-3-3, but we will see.

I still think it will be 4-5-1/4-3-3, but we will see.

FAI tweet said Robinson and Connolly are up front together.

So is it a 3-5-2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Can we all remember how fresh this team is how your all happy SK is trying something new so let’s not see a complete shafting if he gets beaten

Mon Ireland

• Advertisement

Ooops, so it did.

I guess I am the only one who doesn't like the changes. First game of a new qualification campaign in a tricky away tie and we're trying something completely new. If we are playing two upfront, how does that team line up in such a way to provide width on the left? I am also worried that Molumby/Browne could be overwhelmed in central midfield. I suppose we will have to see how the players line up in awhile.

The only thing that gives me hope is that Serbia appeared to have went with something that's perhaps even more radical than we have. They are giving their first caps to two players tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Remote interview here is odd, Kenny doesn't know where to look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Kenny is awful shaky behind a mic isn't he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I am happy with that line-up given the current predicament,

I quite like Robinson, and Connolly has potential but is hit and miss.

Quite flexible between 5-3-2 and 3-5-2, let's just hope we create the chances needed.

The only thing I'll say is if it's a 3-5-2 he should have trialled that formation in the Nations League. Hopefully it'll work out but it's risky to suddenly change formation like that.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So is it a 3-5-2?

Must be unless one of Browne or Molumby are playing LM.

Ooops, so it did.

I guess I am the only one who doesn't like the changes. First game of a new qualification campaign in a tricky away tie and we're trying something completely new. If we are playing two upfront, how does that team line up in such a way to provide width on the left? I am also worried that Molumby/Browne could be overwhelmed in central midfield. I suppose we will have to see how the players line up in awhile.

The only thing that gives me hope is that Serbia appeared to have went with something that's perhaps even more radical than we have. They are giving their first caps to two players tonight.

For width on the left - Enda Stevens was one of the best left wing backs in the PL last season.

And for the midfield, they’ve Cullen as well - it’s the trio I think are least likely to be overrun, in that they’re all active physical players. They’ll run and track a lot more than lads like Brady or Hourihane.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The only thing I'll say is if it's a 3-5-2 he should have trialled that formation in the Nations League. Hopefully it'll work out but it's risky to suddenly change formation like that.

Coleman was injured for all those games bar two in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

4/5 of the defenders have spent large chunks of this season in a back 5 (odd one out being Doherty who is a natural RWB) so not worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Soups123 wrote: »
    Can we all remember how fresh this team is how your all happy SK is trying something new so let’s not see a complete shafting if he gets beaten

Mon Ireland

Don't care if we get beat I'm just sick of being bored a little embarrassed and mostly resigned to both.

Delighted to see an Irish team that might just go all in

• Advertisement
Advertisement