Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia v Republic of Ireland Match Thread - K.O 19.45 24/03/21 - Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Best performance I've seen from Ireland in years. I can't remember them playing that well since maybe the France game.

Better keeper and it was 0-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

With Randolph in goal I think we walk away with a point tonight.

Has to be Bazunu between the sticks in the next game for me.

I think Bazunu is being protected so he mightn't feature before the Qatar game. With the current thinking being that it will be between him and Kelleher for No. 1 in the future, they don't want to throw him in at the deep end.

Wouldn't shock me to see O'Hara against Luxembourg, despite being dropped by Burton. The following won't fill anyone with confidence though:

"...the former United prospect shipped 19 goals in five matches as Burton lost them all. And he has not got a game since.

In that time, O’Hara’s new club have lost just twice in 10 outings and have kept six clean sheets."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We can't play this style. We will always lose to technically superior teams

We need to play to our strengths.

What are those? Seriously?

There's an obvious alternative to you that gets results?

I don't see it. I see a development of an ethos tonight but we're completely lacking in any standout individual talent...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

tom1ie wrote: »
    Jesus there are some negative fookers on this thread tonight!
    We score 2 goals away to a team we weren’t given much of a chance against, while missing our no1 keeper and people are calling for kenny’s head 1 game into the campaign.
    Mad!

Like the posters here calling for Kennys head have been in the minority, and a very small minority at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

2 shots on target, that's a positive given how bad we've been under Kenny.

Hammer Luxembourg the weekend and we're capable of a point in Lisbon, plenty of time to get a few players back.

Yeah the European Champions don't normally do that well at home. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a shocking record. He should be gone imo.

I don't necessarily disagree, but replaced with who?

The Ireland job isn't exactly in high demand I'd suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

It's a shocking record. He should be gone imo.

Who do we bring in? The FAI is broke and there won't be too many jumping at the chance to take this job. Look at the squad and tell me what Kenny could do differently.

We don't have a striker that scores regularly
    Our Premier League players barely play for their clubs.
    The Championship isn't that high of a standard when it comes to international football.
    Irish football will only get worse and it isn't because of Kenny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Still convinced it was a stonewall penalty on Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

fullstop wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. Don’t know if you’re on the windup looking for this reaction (I suspect so) but who the hell sacks a manager or resigns one match into a qualifying campaign after a 3-2 loss away to higher seeds? Have a word with yourself.

It's zero wins from nine matches. Zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oat23 wrote: »
    Let's throw all logic out the window and ignore the vastly different standard of player Stephen Kenny has to work with compared to previous managers...

The Hendrick decision was bad. I agree there.

Would love to know who all these boards "experts" think Ireland can get as manager. Or what players they think Kenny should play, who is the O'Leary/Hoolihan/Reid footballing god in Dunphys mind that would have saved this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

raclle wrote: »
    So you'd rather go back to the dinosaur crap that hasn't got us near a World Cup in 20 years?

This is almost as OTT as the "Kenny should go" comments.

We've been to two WC play offs in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Faugheen wrote: »
    Don't know where the idea that Bazunu is any better comes from. He's playing regularly but he's had his fair share of mares as well this season.

Like you said, he's playing regularly. On that basis alone I'd pick him over Travers.

Granted, he won't be seriously tested against Luxembourg so I could see Travers keeping his place.

I wouldn't bother with O'Hara, he's not the future. If Bazunu is gonna be in the mix long term I don't see the harm in bringing him in for Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why did Kenny take molumby off? Thought that was a mistake he was playing ok, we fell to pieces after that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Had Travers stayed on his line for the second goal we might all be celebrating an away point against the Serbs.
    Small margins.
    I see definite improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

breezy1985 wrote: »
    who is the O'Leary/Hoolihan/Reid footballing god in Dunphys mind that would have saved this team

It was Obafemi until he couldn't get near the Southampton team and then got injured for the rest of the season. Don't think anyone else has been picked up on yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What is an acceptable number of games to get a first win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Why did Kenny take molumby off? Thought that was a mistake he was playing ok, we fell to pieces after that.

Lack of first-team football caught up with him maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Luxembourg on Saturday will strangely be a huge test to see where we are with Kenny, decent performance with a couple goals will be great progress. If we struggle, heat will be on Kenny.
    Based on this performance, I feel a lot better about the Luxembourg game. Based on what we've seen tonight, we should have more than enough to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

noodler wrote: »

but we haven't actually gotten to the world cup :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It's not the winning that's important. It's the beautiful football that we play surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Kenny's decision to bring on Hendrick for Molumby resulted in them putting the game to bed. They gifted us a goal late on but that was where things started to go wrong.

Stephen Kenny’s record as Ireland boss:

Needs a win against Luxembourg to avoid getting to double figures without a victory. Can't imagine too many Ireland coaches have faced that prospect.

In fairness not many Irish managers have had lads dropping like flies from Covid and injuries for their first 10 games either.

Edit; like others I do agree on the Hendrick point. He just shouldn’t be anywhere near the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

edgecutter wrote: »
    Who do we bring in? The FAI is broke and there won't be too many jumping at the chance to take this job. Look at the squad and tell me what Kenny could do differently.

We don't have a striker that scores regularly
    Our Premier League players barely play for their clubs.
    The Championship isn't that high of a standard when it comes to international football.
    Irish football will only get worse and it isn't because of Kenny.

Broke yet paying Kenny over €500k this year and Robbie on €250k.
    If say there'll be a few people that wouldn't mind that wedge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Would love to know who all these boards "experts" think Ireland can get as manager. Or what players they think Kenny should play, who is the O'Leary/Hoolihan/Reid footballing god in Dunphys mind that would have saved this team

Yeah, it says a lot about the current cohort that we don't have 1 of those types anymore. There's nobody else, that was as good a team as we could have played tonight.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How is it? Staunton, Trap, O'Neill, McCarthy.

All played the same way and had the same attitude. The players aren't good enough to play football so we're just going to hit and hope.

We fluked our way to Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 and it papered over the cracks that are coming to fruition now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

guaranteed win the weekend and a chance for some goals. Kenny deserves to campaign in fairness.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He looked very tired coming off I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

For the first time in a long time, I actually enjoyed that. Thought it was a good performance from all the starters. Feel sorry for the keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Player of the match?

Is man of the match a thing of the past?

(That won’t make sense unless you’re watching Rte)

RonanG86 wrote: »
    It was Obafemi until he couldn't get near the Southampton team and then got injured for the rest of the season. Don't think anyone else has been picked up on yet.

Haha, remember the outrage from some on here when Obafemi didn't make the first squad. Hilarious.

I think Bazunu is being protected so he mightn't feature before the Qatar game. With the current thinking being that it will be between him and Kelleher for No. 1 in the future, they don't want to throw him in at the deep end.

Wouldn't shock me to see O'Hara against Luxembourg, despite being dropped by Burton. The following won't fill anyone with confidence though:

"...the former United prospect shipped 19 goals in five matches as Burton lost them all. And he has not got a game since.

In that time, O’Hara’s new club have lost just twice in 10 outings and have kept six clean sheets."

We have a generally reliable, but average, keeper in Randolph and two prospects in Kelleher and Bazunu and pretty much nothing else.

The only silver lining is that Kelleher has come on a lot in 12 months despite not playing regular senior footie and proved for Liverpool that he can perform if dropped in at the deep end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Broke yet paying Kenny over €500k this year and Robbie on €250k.
    If say there'll be a few people that wouldn't mind that wedge.

That deal was done when Delaney was in charge and the FAI are obliged to honour it. If Kenny does go, the FAI won't be handing out that money ever again and that limits our options even further.

Who would you bring in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Reality is if John Delaney had run the FAI properly from when he got the top job in the mid 2000's and focused on grassroots football, investment in academies and coaching at youth level, we'd be starting to reap the benefits of that approach right about now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Still convinced it was a stonewall penalty on Connolly.

Wasn't the one where Coleman slipped and the Serbia player tumbled over him a potential pen too?

We fluked our way to Euro 2012 and Euro 2016 and it papered over the cracks that are coming to fruition now.

Euro 2016 was our best campaign since 2002 and it's the one where we played the least amount of hoofball.

That's not a co-incidence.

The equation would involve who you are and what is available to you + who the games were against + how important were the games + who can replace him= x so no easy answer.

Fking up against LUX would be a big problem for me even then you need to look at the last part of the equation very seriously

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Player of the match?

Is man of the match a thing of the past?

(That won’t make sense unless you’re watching Rte)
    Coleman, Cullen, Browne, and Robinson were the standout players I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Based on this performance, I feel a lot better about the Luxembourg game. Based on what we've seen tonight, we should have more than enough to win.

As do I, we've struggled against the likes of Georgia even Gibraltar lately so if we can go out and get a couple of goals, play well, it'll be great confidence for the players.

@Castletownman makes an excellent point on players, unfortunately we don't have them.

We're a small nation with a small footballing legacy. The likes of Wales and more recently Scotland are our level who have qualified for major tournaments recently because even one world class player in a small nation can change the whole side. We don't have any.

'Spoiled' enough in my generation anyway with some of the players we had but we simply don't have them. This is our level unfortunately until some players come along or we give Kenny a bit of time to see what he can do with a young side over a bit of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Its competitive games that matter.... Competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Definitely some positives in there, it wasn't all just playing it long, 2 goals which is first time in a long time particularly against a higher seed team. Team selection overall wasnt a disaster, the limitations of the squad are there for all to see.

Definitely negatives too, can't stick with Travers anyway. Hendrick coming on wasnt a good sight but I hope that was just to give Molumby a rest before Saturday.

I know they weren't going to qualify, but I hope they haven't regressed to losing to Luxembourg either. If the team selection reverts back to Hendrick/Brady starting, its a step backwards at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Disappointing result but wasn't a bad performance by us in any means. I'm happy were giving lads a bit of experience

Anything other than a win on Saturday would be a disaster. Serbia also facing Portugal the same day and we want a draw from that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Positives:

Coleman his best game for us in a long time

Midfield much better without Hendrick and Hourihane
    Scored twice

Browne looks like a genuine goal that from midfield which we haven't had in a long time

Denied a clear cut pen imo (based on replays I've seen)

Much more composed in possession in general

Pressing very good at times

Shape very good

Negatives:

Keeper terrible
    Doherty very poor
    Hendrick, Brady, McClean being brought on ahead of Knight were very disappointing decisions
    Connolly disappointing - his attitude doesn't seem great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yes. Should win that and will if we perform like tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How is it? Staunton, Trap, O'Neill, McCarthy.

All played the same way and had the same attitude. The players aren't good enough to play football so we're just going to hit and hope.

Hehe...fluked.

Hehe

Positives:
    Connolly disappointing - his attitude doesn't seem great

Connolly has all the hallmarks of a guy who's not taking being a footballer seriously.

Niggling injuries.
    Not kicked on at club level after initially breaking into the team.
    Getting in trouble with his club.
    Knackered after 65 minutes.

Really hope I'm wrong, cos until he went off I couldn't accuse the guy of not trying tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

For the first time in a long time, I actually enjoyed that. Thought it was a good performance from all the starters. Feel sorry for the keeper.

Succinctly put, and I feel exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Progress. Wish he’d changed the shape earlier in his reign but Kenny did tonight and we looked a much better side as a result. Yes mistakes were made, keeper could’ve done better, Serbia’s finishes were quality. But there was enough cohesion in the overall play to have confidence we’ll make and take chances against the lower ranked teams.

Like it or not, that’s our current level and we need to master that level and then focus on rising from it. Despite the result and Kenny’s stats to-date, the glass for me is more than half full now as there’s reason to believe our shape and play are improving and will lead to better results. Onwards.

Reality is if John Delaney had run the FAI properly from when he got the top job in the mid 2000's and focused on grassroots football, investment in academies and coaching at youth level, we'd be starting to reap the benefits of that approach right about now :)

Yep practically every world cup winning team or seemingly over achieving team has invested in smart underage management. Event he English have copped it and seen improvement

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Its competitive games that matter.... Competitive.

Always a pain listening to those lads giving out about pre-season friendlies and their team losing matches in their tour of China or the Saudi Arabia Cup.

Normal people don't actually care, competitive games are all that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

Hehe...fluked.

Hehe
    We finished 3rd in the campaign so had they not changed the rules we wouldn't have been there.

I'd love gibralter in our group just to sush the lads that think we should be winning all around. I think that's the only team we beat under the previous regime right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement