Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia v Republic of Ireland Match Thread - K.O 19.45 24/03/21 - Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Connolly has all the hallmarks of a guy who's not taking being a footballer seriously.

Niggling injuries.
    Not kicked on at club level after initially breaking into the team.
    Getting in trouble with his club.
    Knackered after 65 minutes.

Really hope I'm wrong, cos until he went off I couldn't accuse the guy of not trying tonight.

Doubt he was fully fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Connolly has all the hallmarks of a guy who's not taking being a footballer seriously.

Niggling injuries.
    Not kicked on at club level after initially breaking into the team.
    Getting in trouble with his club.
    Knackered after 65 minutes.

Really hope I'm wrong, cos until he went off I couldn't accuse the guy of not trying tonight.

McLean did more in his 10 minutes than connolly, almost twice as many touches, Connolly still has a lot to learn.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

elefant wrote: »
    Succinctly put, and I feel exactly the same.

Same I liked this team. Haven't said that in a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

Positives:

Coleman his best game for us in a long time

Midfield much better without Hendrick and Hourihane
    Scored twice

Browne looks like a genuine goal that from midfield which we haven't had in a long time

Denied a clear cut pen imo (based on replays I've seen)

Much more composed in possession in general

Pressing very good at times

Shape very good

Negatives:

Keeper terrible
    Doherty very poor
    Hendrick, Brady, McClean being brought on ahead of Knight were very disappointing decisions
    Connolly disappointing - his attitude doesn't seem great

Keeper was at fault for one goal only and that was to a world class chip. Give the lad a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'd love gibralter in our group just to sush the lads that think we should be winning all around. I think that's the only team we beat under the previous regime right?

We beat Georgia 1-0 too. Didn't score from open play in 180 minutes against them playing good, honest, Irish longball footie mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hopefully a couple of early goals v Luxembourg and we relax and get a few more, anything else won't do

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Euro 2016 was our best campaign since 2002 and it's the one where we played the least amount of hoofball.

That's not a co-incidence.

We jammed a win and a draw over Germany and even then we only qualified for a play-off because Scotland (who we couldn't beat) lost at home to Georgia. Both Germany games, while great moments, we were absolutely sh*te.

We scored three injury-time goals completely against the run of play to secure 2 draws and a win.

The play-off against Bosnia I'll give you, but that was a monster performance from Walters that we never saw again (despite his usual high standards).

Let's not kid ourselves by saying we haven't rode our luck over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

raclle wrote: »
    We finished 3rd in the campaign so had they not changed the rules we wouldn't have been there.

Ok.

Eight teams 'fluked' their way to Euro 2016 by qualifying.

Ok

crossman47 wrote: »
    Keeper was at fault for one goal only and that was to a world class chip. Give the lad a break.

That was a chip any decent forward would make with a keeper that badly positioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's some start to an interview.. He's badly struggling through it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kenny moaning about the 'penalty' ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

How many of his crosses connected with an Irish player? That constitutes "something wrong" for a winger.

At one point he crossed three times in less than a minute. Each one was muck

The amount of times he was seen hesitating to come out or peddling back could be a big problem for him getting picked again

Don't blame him.

Why wasn't there VAR tonight? Shambles that it's there for some games and not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I don't think I'm being overly harsh on him. He was very poor. When was the last time you seen an international keeper being chipped like that? That goal changed the game.

He's only a young lad and hopefully he'll bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I’m the gaffer. I’m the boss vibes off this fella.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why wasn't there VAR tonight? Shambles that it's there for some games and not others.

Kenny just said the same. It should be all or nothing.

He has a point about that. Don't get your problem with him raising it?

• Advertisement

'we came out the wrong side of a narrow defeat.

Meaningless words really

Needs a little media training perhaps.

Not the most fluent

Of course he is. It was a ****ing blatant penalty which the ref missed from a clear position a few yards away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Neeson wrote: »
    I’m the gaffer. I’m the boss vibes off this fella.

He's probably useless at poker anyway if the big pauses and faces before every answer is any indication

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

He wants to win and I like that attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If a ball is getting crossed and your keeper is off his line, he better be coming to get it. Travers was lost watching it and put himself in no man's land. It's something you'd expect from a non-keeper in goal.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He has a point about that. Don't get your problem with him raising it?

Again English fan tabloid mentality of moaning about everything the manager does

noodler wrote: »
    Don't blame him.

I'm not blaming him. I just think it's laughable to blame that refs decision for the result in any way

Should Kenny whip out a sword and commit seppuku in his interview instead? Would that be satisfactory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Meaningless words really

What did you expect him to say “we were ****e, we could have lost 6-0. I’m glad the ref didn’t give a penalty”. Any chance to have a go

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Meaningless words really

You could say that about the majority of this thread tbh.
    Kenny's decision to bring on Hendrick for Molumby resulted in them putting the game to bed. They gifted us a goal late on but that was where things started to go wrong.

Are we allowed to say that we gifted Serbia goals too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

Keeper was terrible looked shaky with everything. Really missing some spark in the middle. Played well in parts tonight against a far superior side.

I'd give Kenny until the end of the next Euros campaign. He is trying to change who whole style and mindset of this squad. It was refreshing to see out of form players dropped.

I'd say stick with the youth for this campaign and build towards the next Euros and World cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

I think some posters on here will just hate on whatever happens

I'm not blaming him. I just think it's laughable to blame that refs decision for the result in any way

It was 1-1 mid way through the 2nd half. If we get the penalty and score it we’re defending a lead and have a decent change at winning the game. Christ almighty.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He's probably useless at poker anyway if the big pauses and faces before every answer is any indication

Why does it matter. Is talking to the press an important part of football tactics or training

That was at 1-1 and that penalty changes the game if it's scored.

So he has every right to be annoyed. Instead of us having a chance to go 2-1 up, Serbia end up going 3-1 up.

He didn't blame the result on that decision. He spoke about it for less than 20 seconds, then was questioned about VAR and why it wasn't used tonight, which he was puzzled by but basically said that's the way it is and there's nothing you can do about it now. No idea what your issue is with him mentioning it.

fullstop wrote: »
    What did you expect him to say “we were ****e, we could have lost 6-0. I’m glad the ref didn’t give a penalty”. Any chance to have a go

No need for hysterics. All I'm saying is he didn't need to bring the pen decision up when asked what went wrong tonight

It made **** all difference to the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

No need for hysterics. All I'm saying is he didn't need to bring the pen decision up when asked what went wrong tonight

It made a massive difference to the outcome. Surely you can see that, in a 1 goal defeat?

Vlahovic and Mitrovic would both be our first choice strikers if they were in our squad.

A lot of posts suggesting he should go as if losing away to Serbia should never have happened. I didn't see a single post on this forum expecting us to win here the match, and very few suggestions we'd get a draw. Now all the rats are out to get him after a narrow defeat to a team with a significantly better squad of players to choose from.

Why didn’t he? It more than likely affected the outcome of the game. How can you say it made **** all difference? The game doesn’t pan out the same way if it’s give. We still might not have won or got a result but we’d have had a hell of a chance of getting something out of the game.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Moot point talking about the peno incident.

It was a peno IMO and would have been given if VAR was in use, but so would theirs when Coleman slipped in the box and took out their striker who was in on goal.

But if ours is given, then there is a very, very high chance the Coleman incident doesn't even happen.

If anything it would have been more of a travesty if their penalty was given and ours wasn't.

What would you like him to discuss?

I don't know if it's the first time you've watched a post match interview but it's standard practice to mention things that happened during the game that may have had a bearing on the end result. A penalty decision like that going against you being one of those things you tend to hear all managers talk about.

For what it's worth I didn't think it was a penalty but may need another look. Connolly tends to go down way too easily and I think there's a bit of that going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Poor result but an encouraging performance. If Randolph is in goal, I think we get a point tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It was a peno IMO and would have been given if VAR was in use, but so would theirs when Coleman slipped in the box and took out their striker who was in on goal.

We’re lucky enough that they didn’t get one for the Coleman thing - but obviously if we get the first one, the game is changed and that Coleman incident never happens, so it’s not quite a case of them equaling each other out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Vlahovic and Mitrovic would both be our first choice strikers if they were in our squad.

Jovic would too. They're a miles better team than us.

No don't agree with that. We scored that penno and go 2-1 up then it's a different game.

Very few countries have forwards who wouldn't be first choice for us. Thing is we don't even need a good footballer quite the opposite just a no nonsense poacher a Philip O'Zaggi

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Euro 2016 was our best campaign since 2002 and it's the one where we played the least amount of hoofball.

That's not a co-incidence.

Euro 2016 we finished 3rd in the qualifying group to get to a play off. Every other tournament previously we would have been eliminated.

We then got 3rd in the group stages of that tournament, being a (albeit decent) 2nd string Italian team who were already though. Again in all previous tournaments, 3rd was out.

Euro 2016 we finished 3rd in the qualifying group to get to a play off. Every other tournament previously we would have been eliminated.

We then got 3rd in the group stages of that tournament, being a (albeit decent) 2nd string Italian team who were already though. Again in all previous tournaments, 3rd was out.

People forget that Euro 88 had only 8 teams in the tournament. Just qualifying was the same as being in the quarter final

• Advertisement

sterz wrote: »

For what it's worth I didn't think it was a penalty but may need another look. Connolly tends to go down way too easily and I think there's a bit of that going on here.

You definitely need another look. You should do that before assuming that a supposed reputation a player has means he's incapable of being fouled for a penalty.

Advertisement