Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendation for a wifi router to use with Virgin Media white router

Options
  • 24-03-2021 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi

Currently have a Virgin Media white router providing WIFI.
    The WIFI signal is pretty poor at times and I have tried simple fixes like changing the channel and the likes but still not happy with it. I have a wifi repeater set up in another room but that struggles at times.

I have heard that you can plug in another router into this, using the VM router as a bridge and use the second router as your WIFI point.
    Can anyone recomend something suitable?
    Live in a pretty standard sized house.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Hi

The WIFI signal is pretty poor at times and I have tried simple fixes like changing the channel and the likes but still not happy with it. I have a wifi repeater set up in another room but that struggles at times.

I have heard that you can plug in another router into this, using the VM router as a bridge and use the second router as your WIFI point.
    Thanks in advance

I'd go with a mesh solution like Google Wifi or Ubiquity's similar products, depending on the size of your home you can setup the required number of nodes to cover the whole place well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi

Thanks in advance

A small warning in advance: yes, you can put the router into modem mode. But you need to know beforehand that this option doesn't appear by default, unless the mode has is set to use a public IPv4 address, and not DS-Lite by default. But you can't change this yourself, you'll need VM customer support to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Spear wrote: »
    A small warning in advance: yes, you can put the router into modem mode. But you need to know beforehand that this option doesn't appear by default, unless the mode has is set to use a public IPv4 address, and not DS-Lite by default. But you can't change this yourself, you'll need VM customer support to do so.

You can change it, in the options you have router or modem mode fully selectable.

pTvk8Sr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Same here.
    My solution has been to keep the VM router but only provide 5GHz coverage. Turned off 2.4GHz and the guest network. This works great for recent devices, which support 5Ghz.

Since I still own devices that need 2.4GHz, I've set up a separate WiFi access point, exclusively for 2.4Ghz, using a different SSID, and only connect to it the devices that cannot handle 5Ghz.

This setup works fine for me, and I didn't need to fiddle too much with the VM box for this.

Advertisement