Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 :Round 1 Bahrain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Good drive by Lewis. Even though I find him a boring character on the grid can’t deny he’s some driver.

Hoping that today is a sign of more battling this year to come.

Be interesting to get Perez in the mix.

Seems unfortunately rest of teams still a good bit behind Red Bull and Merc. But who knows what will happen!

Entertaining start to the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

skipper_G wrote: »
    You can't possibly be suggesting it's okay to overtake another car with all 4 wheels off the track?

Next they will be saying cross the sand on an open hair pin to gain an advantage is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Lawlesz wrote: »
    You realize that was in response to Hamilton doing it beforehand and getting away with it? Give your head a wobble

So Lewis does it and its cheating, but when Max does the same " He is just responding to Lewis". Breaching the track limits is either cheating or its not. Also its up to the stewards to enforce this rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Very subdued podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

BrentMused wrote: »
    Superb drive from Hamilton and a clinic in tyre management as always, but lack of patience really cost Max there.

He inevitably would have caught Lewis on the straight at the end of that lap if he had more patience.

Completely agree with this. I guess because of the usual Merc dominance Max hasn’t quite gained the experience of patience and being clever in the latter stages. As Brundle says, he could have waited until turn 13/14 to let Lewis pass so then he would get DRS on the home straight and retake the position - that sort of thinking comes with experience. Tactics from RB also seemed out of character but I’m guessing that was to get Perez up to top-5 to act as a block.

Hats off to Perez though and a lot of other drivers. It’s refreshing to see so many teams in the mix and some proper racing across the top and middle of field.

Also, delighted Mazepin crashed out on lap 1. Hopefully he learns a bit of humility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Jaysus, three weeks until the next race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Faugheen wrote: »
    Loads of people doubt his ability.

For anyone to say ‘nobody doubts his ability’ is chatting complete and utter nonsense. Every race there is some excuse that undermines his ability and it’s because people think he’s a complete and utter twat.

‘Cheated today and got away with it’. Exactly my point.

How much of a cumulative advantage did he get from all those laps when he went out of limits? Add it up and see what you get at the end of the race.

Blinkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Max and Bottas have no interest in celebrations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

3 weeks to the next race!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To everyone saying Mercedes cheated.

Show me where Lewis Hamilton overtook someone in this race with all four wheels off the track?

Otherwise, you’re comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Really disappointed Max didn't win but that was the stewards fault for not warning Mercedes earlier in the race for going wide at turn 4.
    Max got the pass done but it was his tiny error and great driving from Hamilton that lost him the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Show me where Lewis Hamilton overtook someone in this race with all four wheels off the track?

Perez had a time deleted yesterday.

Where was Hamilton/Bottas punishment today

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Even with the bad pit stop Bottas was well off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

lolie wrote: »
    Really disappointed Max didn't win but that was the stewards fault for not warning Mercedes earlier for going wide at turn 4.
    Max got the pass done but it was his tiny error and great driving from Hamilton that lost him the race.

He had his chances. Wasn’t able to take it. Maybe next time.

Regardless, what a season we may have in store for us. It would be great to see a competitive race every week.

How much of a cumulative advantage did he get from all those laps when he went out of limits? Add it up and see what you get at the end of the race.

Blinkers.

How much of an advantage did Max get for doing the same thing before the overtake?

How much of an advantage did Max get when they were side-by-side?

Hamilton got a track-limits warning. Did you know that?

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Perez had a time deleted yesterday.

Where was Hamilton/Bottas punishment today

Hamilton got a warning and told next time was a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

He had his chances. Wasn’t able to take it. Maybe next time.

Regardless, what a season we may have in store for us. It would be great to see a competitive race every week.

Amen to that FourFourRed. We’re in for a mega season if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Even with the bad pit stop Bottas was well off the pace.

Nothing unusual there

and he did it one or two times more from what i could see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not much in the way of celebrations after that - how many races in a row is that without champagne on the podium?

• Advertisement

and he did it one or two times more from what i could see

That’s nice. How many cars did he overtake when doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

The stewards should either enforce track limits or not. Not just start enforcing them once RB start doing it.

McFly85 wrote: »
    The stewards should either enforce track limits or not. Not just start enforcing them once RB start doing it.

It’s always against the rules to overtake a car while off the track.

How are you having trouble understanding that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I wonder if redbull had not flagged it could we have had a different result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Hamilton did it dozens of times and got a meaningless warning. Verstappen did it once and was told to hand certain victory that he’d earned over to Lewis.

The mental gymnastics trying to justify the way Mercedes got away with cheating is astonishingly.

You don't need to be overtaking someone to gain an advantage or be breaking the rules. If you do it lap after lap then you're eating into the gap to the car ahead. It's all fairly simple, really. How come Perez got called up on it immediately yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I hope Perez can qualify well this year. We could have some more battles at the front.

Great to see McLaren and Ferrari so closely matched. Still disappointing that Bottas had plenty of margin for a pitstop in front of them.
    Difficult to judge exactly where Alpha Tauri, Alpine and Aston Martin fall in the order. They all showed some promise of being close the McLarens.

Mick spinning could highlight some issues with the Haas, which is definitely the worst car this year. At least he held it, though....

Looking like an exiting year so far!

its also against the rules to run wide consistently to gain an advantage. So they clearly gained an advantage by doing it so much and they only applied this rule when RB told Max to do it.

Why was Perez and others getting lap times deleted in the previous 2 days and the Mercs not getting any form of punishment today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not talking about the overtaking, I’m talking about Mercedes going off track as part of their racing line. RB started doing it after Merc weren’t punished, then the stewards told everyone to stop.

Mercedes were allowed a faster racing line for the starting laps, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

But that's not what happens. They do not have somebody monitoring every car at every corner for track limits. They do not have sensors in the tarmac to automatically detect them. What actually happens is, the race director forwards suspected infringements to the stewards for investigation. Assuming that was triggered By Red Bull's commenting on it via team radio, Hamilton was then instructed to stop or risk a black and white flag and subsequently a 5 second time penalty.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    Hamilton did it dozens of times and got a meaningless warning. Verstappen did it once and was told to hand certain victory that he’d earned over to Lewis.

The mental gymnastics trying to justify the way Mercedes got away with cheating is astonishingly.

No no, Max overtook a car while off the track, which is not allowed.

That was always a rule no matter where the race is or whether track limits are in play or not.

When did Hamilton overtake a car while off the track in this race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

its also against the rules to run wide consistently to gain an advantage. So they clearly gained an advantage by doing it so much and they only applied this rule when RB told Max to do it.

Why was Perez and others getting lap times deleted in the previous 2 days and the Mercs not getting any form of punishment today?

Simply because the rules in Qually and the race as laid down by the stewards were different, comprende?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That’s nice. How many cars did he overtake when doing it?

That isn't always the only way to gain an advantage.

The thing I can make out from all the talk on Sky was that the track limits issue needs sorting. Whether it is Practice, Qualification, or the race itself it needs to be the same limits and the same enforcement - from what I got from Brundle they left it open for the race in the notes.

I think we can agree there should be a track and they should stick to it. It should be pulled up in the race as quickly as they did for qualifying yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

You cannot overtake beyond the track limits period. Red Bull have no complaints about it. Christian Horner has no complaints just finished a full interview.

You don't need to be overtaking someone to gain an advantage or be breaking the rules. If you do it lap after lap then you're eating into the gap to the car ahead. It's all fairly simple, really. How come Perez got called up on it immediately yesterday?

But Max gained a massive advantage by going off the track, he gained a position.

Why do you have an issue with this rule now? It’s been in place for years.

ricimaki wrote: »
    I hope Perez can qualify well this year. We could have some more battles at the front.

Great to see McLaren and Ferrari so closely matched. Still disappointing that Bottas had plenty of margin for a pitstop in front of them.
    Difficult to judge exactly where Alpha Tauri, Alpine and Aston Martin fall in the order. They all showed some promise of being close the McLarens.

Mick spinning could highlight some issues with the Haas, which is definitely the worst car this year. At least he held it, though....

Looking like an exiting year so far!

I think the Haas has had those issues for some time. Grosjean and Magnussen are both much better drivers than they’ve been able to show.

Am I right in saying Mazepin has now started three actual competitive laps in his F1 career and spun in all of them? Other teams might start having to account for him in their strategies if that keeps up.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Simply because the rules in Qually and the race as laid down by the stewards were different, comprende?

so why were they warning hamilton after RB told max to run wide if the rules were different

By running wide at turn 4 consistently while doing the undercut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

so why were they warning hamilton after RB told max to run wide if the rules were different

Qually, lap deleted, Race, only penalised if gaining an advantage, which usually means overtaking, they only got involved because Horner whines like a......

• Advertisement

No no, Max overtook a car while off the track, which is not allowed.

That was always a rule no matter where the race is or whether track limits are in play or not.

You seem to either be unfamiliar with the rules or be intentionally ignoring them.

That isn't always the only way to gain an advantage.

The thing I can make out from all the talk on Sky was that the track limits issue needs sorting. Whether it is Practice, Qualification, or the race itself it needs to be the same limits and the same enforcement - from what I got from Brundle they left it open for the race in the notes.

I think we can agree there should be a track and they should stick to it. It should be pulled up in the race as quickly as they did for qualifying yesterday.

I’m going to spell it out again.

You can’t overtake a car while off the track. Period.

There is no ambiguity on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

But Max gained a massive advantage by going off the track, he gained a position.

How are you not understanding that posters aren't talking about the overtaking, it's the run wide at turn 4. I've no issue with it myself but why you're being deliberately obtuse, I've no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

From the clip that they showed of Bottas to mention that he got fastest lap, it looks looks like he was off track on than one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Norris explained it well on F1 YouTube a moment ago. You can go wide at turn 4 if you don't gain an advantage. In qualifying, lap time is an advantage, in the race the position is the advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I’m going to spell it out again.

You can’t overtake a car while off the track. Period.

There is no ambiguity on that.

Show us where someone said you can overtake while off the track.

• Advertisement

Jesus, it's been in place for years and yet Lewis claimed he didn't know about it.

Max got understeer just as he overtook and that took him off. He immediately gave it back. Why do you have an issue with that? You're completely choosing to ignore the advantage that Lewis accrued early in the race by breaking this limit.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Qually, lap deleted, Race, only penalised if gaining an advantage, which usually means overtaking, they only got involved because Horner whines like a......

so pitting early and using the fresh tyres to put in quick laps to close the gap isnt gaining an advantage?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Max's point of being allowed to continue and taking a 5 second penalty, best case, he makes up +5 and wins, worst case, he doesnt and is relegated to 2nd.

This is it wrote: »
    How are you not understanding that posters aren't talking about the overtaking, it's the run wide at turn 4. I've no issue with it myself but why you're being deliberately obtuse, I've no idea.

I’m not being obtuse. People are only complaining because Max had to give back a position.

Why are you deliberately ignoring that?

flazio wrote: »
    Norris explained it well on F1 YouTube a moment ago. You can go wide at turn 4 if you don't gain an advantage. In qualifying, lap time is an advantage, in the race the position is the advantage.

So gaining a few tenths lap after lap is not gaining an advantage?

• Advertisement
Advertisement