Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Interesting to see the British media reporting on why Boris was stressing about the singularity of the England Scotland Wales and part of Ireland.

Would like to have been a fly on the wall when Macron said what he did.

Francie. Stop fooling yourself. I feel embarrassed for you.
    Tell us all, without ducking and diving, where is the country of Ireland and how many counties are in it?

I know you don’t like the facts but that doesn’t change them

I see a poll being reported in Bbc this morning I haven’t seen the detail but just is 52% don’t want UI approx 30% do want UI. Commentators said it will reassure unionists. Sorry I know no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

downcow wrote: »
    This is one of those occasions when everyone can see how apt ‘ourselves alone’ is for some posters on here.

Often you try to shout down my factual posts but times like this the mask slips.

You can google any reputable site and you will see that YOU ARE WRONG (again)
    United Nations, EU, etc. Here is one often quoted on here https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/uk-population/

You guys need to stop living in fantasy land and folk songs. The world has moved on

Again i will ask you,are you saying the uk is a single country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie. Stop fooling yourself. I feel embarrassed for you.
    Tell us all, without ducking and diving, where is the country of Ireland and how many counties are in it?

I know you don’t like the facts but that doesn’t change them

I was referring to Macron telling Boris that Ireand and Britain were two different countries which apparently led to Boris's blunder about a 'single country'.
    Not understanding that the UK is made up of different countries and a part of a different country has turned Boris into a bit of a laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

I see a poll being reported in Bbc this morning I haven’t seen the detail but just is 52% don’t want UI approx 30% do want UI. Commentators said it will reassure unionists. Sorry I know no more

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/new-border-poll-survey-reveals-53-of-people-in-ni-want-to-stay-in-the-uk-40531085.html

Here it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

jh79 wrote: »

It's skewed towards unionist voters. 34% of respondents were DUP/UUP, 11% Sinn Fein.

Again i will ask you,are you saying the uk is a single country?

No you are getting pedantic again. I would refer to it as a nation but most bodies call it a country, from the olympics to the Eurovision
    Is the 26 counties a country called Ireland?

It's skewed towards unionist voters. 34% of respondents were DUP/UUP, 11% Sinn Fein.

Yeah. Fair enough. Strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

No you are getting pedantic again. I would refer to it as a nation but most bodies call it a country, from the olympics to the Eurovision

I am not being pedantic at all,i simply quoted what johnson said and he clearly doesnt even know where he lives

It was Johnson made the boo boo...nobody else. The UK is a union of countries and a part if one.

'When will you get that into your head...'as they say.

• Advertisement

I am not being pedantic at all,i simply quoted what johnson said and he clearly doesnt even know where he lives

I answered my question. Maybe you would answer yours? How many counties does the country called Ireland have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

This article is about the island in Europe. For the sovereign state of the same name, see Republic of Ireland. For the part of the United Kingdom, see Northern Ireland.

Demonym = Irish

ittakestwo wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland

This article is about the island in Europe. For the sovereign state of the same name, see Republic of Ireland. For the part of the United Kingdom, see Northern Ireland.

Demonym = Irish

The republicans on here would be jumping all over you now for calling Ireland the ROI - except they know that would prove my argument so they are staying silent lol. You are simply wrong, much as I wish you were correct as I am not that fond of the 26 counties taking the name ireland but it’s what they have done.

The republicans on here would be jumping all over you now for calling Ireland the ROI - except they know that would prove my argument so they are staying silent lol. You are simply wrong, much as I wish you were correct as I am not that fond of the 26 counties taking the name ireland but it’s what they have done.

The 'country' was partitioned downcow...you may have missed that, but nobody else has.

Wrong about what? Or should I say what is the Wiki page about Ireland wrong about?

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Wrong about what? Or should I say what is the Wiki page about Ireland wrong about?

It only opened a map for me. I thought you were implying that the country of Ireland was 32 counties. If you agree it is 26 then I apologise

Your page was just the other version of this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,373 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It only opened a map for me. I thought you were implying that the country of Ireland was 32 counties. If you agree it is 26 then I apologise

Your page was just the other version of this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

The island of Ireland has 32 counties, 6 of those counties are currently partitioned to be ruled by Great Britain. Eventually that will not be the case, hopefully a long way down the line when the continuing decline of the Unionist population creates as situation where a United Ireland won't result in bloodshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I thought you were implying that the country of Ireland was 32 counties.

Ireland is one country that has been partitioned. If Scotland voted for independence and sectarian terrorists cleaved off a fifth of it calling it 'Southern Scotland' it would still be part of the country of Scotland.

Irish Constitution [Preamble]

so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, true social order attained, the unity of our country restored, and concord established with other nations

Hope this helps.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 JoeMcDougal

United Ireland in ten years. Scotland will be independent first, followed by reunification within a few short years.

No I agree. I think a person would be delusional not to know the ROI has 26 and the UK has 6 counties of Ireland.

My page was about Ireland. Did you note that the demonym of Ireland is Irish?

And a reminder to what Ireland looks like is below. If you are from there you're Irish.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

United Kingdom - Wikipedia.
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign country ...

United Kingdom - Collins.
    .... a kingdom of NW Europe, consisting chiefly of the island of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland: became the world's leading colonial power in the 18th century; the first country to undergo the Industrial Revolution. It became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1921, after the rest of Ireland became autonomous as the Irish Free State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Macron knows.

Top man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

I think this has to be added to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKwZM8TDEa0

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I suppose our ancestors weren't too fond of the British annexing our island and putting thieving planters here, but its what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Macron knows.

Top man.

Huh :confused:

Sounds like he knows SFA about the UK.

It's been reported that Macron said "Northern Ireland was not part of the United Kingdom", which if true is an ideotic, stupid & provocative thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭eire4

United Ireland in ten years. Scotland will be independent first, followed by reunification within a few short years.

I would say that is a very realistic time frame and I think your probably right Irish reunification happens after Scottish independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭eire4

On an aside if Johnson is going to claim the UK is one country then a few international sporting bodies might be under threat if he really means that. No more sperate international football or Rugby teams for example. But then again I think as with his bluster about many things this is also just bluster and nothing of substance so Wales and Scotland can indeed compete at the current European Championship Finals which is great IMHO.

eire4 wrote: »
    On an aside if Johnson is going to claim the UK is one country then a few international sporting bodies might be under threat if he really means that. No more sperate international football or Rugby teams for example. But then again I think as with his bluster about many things this is also just bluster and nothing of substance so Wales and Scotland can indeed compete at the current European Championship Finals which is great IMHO.

Johnson and Raab were directing their fake anger at the Little Englander mentality that thinks Scotland, Wales are chattels or colonies and not proper countries. Otherwise know as the ERG or Brexiteer mentality.

• Advertisement

Interesting point of view. Not just on how much of a failure the place is but on how Nationalist opinion is evolving changing - confident enough to let go and see what happens. It has to be better than what is there now would be my opinion anyhow.
    If Stormont falls due to disagreement over the Irish Language Act implementation, Unionists could be looking at the real possibility that the next time they have talks about resuming Stormont Sinn Fein will say, ‘No thanks, we are good’.
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2021/06/14/the-nightmare-scenario-for-unionists-is-nationalists-no-longer-caring-if-stormont-falls/

Advertisement