Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

...unless you're from Northern Ireland and you're British. NI is also part of this island but is part of the UK, hence 'Ireland' is not always good enough, specially as 1/5th of this island is not of this State!

Northern Ireland is a region of the United Kingdom.

The demonym for Ireland is Irish. You're from Ireland and you're Irish by that fact.even if you live on the part of Ireland which is within the UK jurisdiction you are still Irish just like people from England can be referred to as English by that fact even tho it is all within the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Is Arlene Foster British?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is Arlene Foster British?

She identifies as British which is her right and will never be denied her. She is from a stone's throw away from where I am right now, Dernawilt, in Co. Fermanagh, one of the 32 county's of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

...unless you're from Northern Ireland and you're British. NI is also part of this island but is part of the UK, hence 'Ireland' is not always good enough, specially as 1/5th of this island is not of this State!

Northern Ireland is a region of the United Kingdom.

You can choose to be British is you are from Northern Ireland..

Personally I refer to the 2 areas as the North and the South, even if its not accurate geographically, its what I have always said..

Anyone living outside of Northern Ireland, probably refers to everyone living on the island of Ireland as Irish..May not suit the people who live here who choose to be British, but it's the truth..

She identifies as British which is her right and will never be denied her. She is from a stone's throw away from where I am right now, Dernawilt, in Co. Fermanagh, one of the 32 county's of Ireland.

Six of which are in Northern Ireland (UK), so that leaves 26 in Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Ireland is both a geographical term and a political entity.
    Can mean both the "Island of Ireland" or the state.
    Personally I prefer using the terms
    Ireland = Current Irish state (or future state, should reunification occur down the line).
    Island of Ireland = Full geographical Island.
    Northern Ireland = The current region of the UK

And yes, Éire should never be used when speaking English. Especially by English people. It sounds so patronising. Seemingly using Éire was advice given to the BBC back in the 1940's by the UK government.

Six of which are in Northern Ireland (UK), so that leaves 26 in Ireland :D

Which doesn't take them out of 'Ireland' HC.

Which doesn't take them out of 'Ireland' HC.

It's all a bit cloudy these days, I mean is the President of Ireland the President of Northern Ireland too, or just the President of Ireland? Is Ireland in the EU? How many international football teams does Ireland have?

It's all nuanced and open to question unless you stipify which jurisdiction you're referring to, hence 'Ireland' is not always good enough, is it. The Republic, The South, Northern Ireland, The North are all fine when being specific.

It's all a bit cloudy these days, I mean is the President of Ireland the President of Northern Ireland too, or just the President of Ireland? Is Ireland in the EU? How many international football teams does Ireland have?

It's all nuanced and open to question unless you stipify which jurisdiction you're referring to, hence 'Ireland' is not always good enough, is it. The Republic, The South, Northern Ireland, The North are all fine when being specific.

Good enough?

It is Ireland HC. If you want to refer to the British administered part of it, go ahead. But stop trying to ignore plain and simple geography and history.

Ireland, an island of 32 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

guy2231 wrote: »
    Of course you don't, I know you are a little slow so let me explain in simpler terms.

You were saying that people from Northern Ireland are not Irish, using examples of football players from Northern Ireland playing for the ROI, you are claiming they are British not Irish.

What I was saying is that prior to 1922 or 1937 to be precise, all of Ireland was under British rule so by using the logic you are now using then anyone in Ireland prior to 1937 was ever Irish.
    Nonsense. I am very clear that players from ni playing for Ireland are very likely irish. I daid nothing contrary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

ittakestwo wrote: »
    The demonym for Ireland is Irish. You're from Ireland and you're Irish by that fact.even if you live on the part of Ireland which is within the UK jurisdiction you are still Irish just like people from England can be referred to as English by that fact even tho it is all within the UK

It doesn’t follow.
    I would not say everyone born in ni is northern Irish. It’s really up to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    It doesn’t follow.

A symptom of how f*cked our wee home is, Downcow.

In France, anyone born there with generations of familial history in France would of course be French.....in Germany, Russia, Japan, China, Nigeria etc etc the same, but in NI, a heap don't want it to exist at all and another heap wish it was transplanted onto an entirely different landmass.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    but in NI, a heap don't want it to exist at all and another heap wish it was transplanted onto an entirely different landmass.

And we know one of those is like Boris's tunnel...impossible. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

downcow wrote: »
    It doesn’t follow.

To a man from Timbuktu, if you're from Northern Ireland you're Irish, you may be British,but you're of the Ireland of Ireland therefore Irish

I remember speaking to a Unionist from East Belfast, when she lived in Liverpool in the 70s she was always referred to as Irish by the locals.

Used to drive her crackers

Tánaiste and Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar has told party members he believes that the unification of Ireland can happen in his lifetime.

Unification of Ireland 'can happen in my lifetime'

http://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0615/1228335-politics-fine-gael/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To a man from Timbuktu, if you're from Northern Ireland you're Irish, you may be British,but you're of the Ireland of Ireland therefore Irish

I remember speaking to a Unionist from East Belfast, when she lived in Liverpool in the 70s she was always referred to as Irish by the locals.

Used to drive her crackers

Younger people from Northern Ireland these days are much more assertive about this when abroad, claiming to be Northern Irish, rather than British or Irish.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Younger people from Northern Ireland these days are much more assertive about this when abroad, claiming to be Northern Irish, rather than British or Irish.

The nationality there is 'Irish' blanch. A northern English person is distinct in identity terms to a southern English person and would profess it loudly themselves...both are English though and always will be. Nothing to fear in a Northern Irish identity. It shows zero signs (because it is a split identity too) of coalescing into seeking an independent NI, which seems to be emerging as the last bastion of hope for some.

What's this business about telling (not asking) the people of Northern Ireland what Nationality they are?

Interesting phenomon in recent years, like a massive tussle for hearts & minds, You are Irish, no we're not, oh yes you are, oh no .......

OK then, we're Northern Irish, oh no you're not, you're all Irish, but I have a British passport, doesn't matter, you're Irish and that's that :confused:

Like why are we telling them what they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Does that mean Leo isn't a partitionist now? What about M Martin, is he still a partitionist?

I still don't understand why I need a party to represent me? Each will put forward their proposals and if I don't like them I'll vote no and see what happens.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Does that mean Leo isn't a partitionist now? What about M Martin, is he still a partitionist?
    Well, words are just words, let's see if there is action. Quite happy that he has renounced his partitionism...I think it wise and kind of hard to maintain now as a political stance.
    I still don't understand why I need a party to represent me? Each will put forward their proposals and if I don't like them I'll vote no and see what happens.

Not doubting for a second that you have and are entitled to vote how you like. Just fascinated to see how partitionism will win a Border Poll with every single major party endorsing and backing unity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jh79 wrote: »

The insistence when it comes to NI and a UI on giving everyone a label or forcing them to pick a side will forever be bizarre to me.

Not doubting for a second that you have and are entitled to vote how you like. Just fascinated to see how partitionism will win a Border Poll with every single major party endorsing and backing unity.

Always with the black or white ehh Francie?

Im 100% for a UI however that doesn't mean i want to see it tomorrow or maybe even in the next 20 years but for some reason to you that makes me a partitionist?

Your insistence on demonising everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you is just petty at this stage.

A border poll should be won on its merits for both countries and currently the negatives of social, financial and security issues outweigh any merits in my opinion.

VinLieger wrote: »
    The insistence when it comes to NI and a UI on giving everyone a label or forcing them to pick a side will forever be bizarre to me.

Again...partition at fault there. It deliberately created 'sides'. The Unionist sectarian state it created deepened that division.

Undenial fact, and I would be critical of both sides in failing to step back from the divisions post GFA, but it is clear to me that one side, the rump of that sectarian state, is way out in the lead in that failure.
    Note how those with a partitionist mentality INSIST that there are two equal sides in this regard.

Again...partition at fault there. It deliberately created 'sides'. The Unionist sectarian state it created deepened that division.

Undenial fact, and I would be critical of both sides in failing to step back from the divisions post GFA, but it is clear to me that one side, the rump of that sectarian state, is way out in the lead in that failure.
    Note how those with a partitionist mentality INSIST that there are two equal sides in this regard.

But your doing that right now. You are insisting on labeling everyone but then blaming someone else for forcing you to label everyone?

Always with the black or white ehh Francie?

Im 100% for a UI however that doesn't mean i want to see it tomorrow or maybe even in the next 20 years but for some reason to you that makes me a partitionist?

Your insistence on demonising everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you is just petty at this stage.

A border poll should be won on its merits for both countries and currently the negatives of social, financial and security issues outweigh any merits.

I have explained this before. I use the word 'partitionist' with a small 'p'.
    It is a perfectly adequate word to describe somebody who currently or as a political ideology stands in the way of unity or blocks it.

I use the word 'unionist' in exactly the same way, capitalising it, when referring to political parties or members of.

But your doing that right now. You are insisting on labeling everyone but then blaming someone else for forcing you to label everyone?

I am using descriptive terms and ordinary words. If you have guilt about that, not my problem.

You could be partitionist today and a unionist tomorrow.

It is a perfectly adequate word to describe somebody who currently or as a political ideology stands in the way of unity or blocks it.

I use the word 'unionist' in exactly the same way, capitalising it, when referring to political parties or members of.

Its really not Francie the world and its mother knows exactly why you are doing it, its sad and beyond pathetic.
    I am using descriptive terms and ordinary words. If you have guilt about that, not my problem.

You could be partitionist today and a unionist tomorrow.

Great example proving my point thanks for that.

Its really not Francie the world and its mother knows exactly why you are doing it, its sad and beyond pathetic.

Great example proving my point thanks for that.

Give me a good reason why you object to descriptive words?

Are you saying 'partitionists/unionists don't exist?

Why be offended. I don't get offended being described as a republican/nationalist etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

It is a perfectly adequate word to describe somebody who currently or as a political ideology stands in the way of unity or blocks it. .

I completely disagree with you on this. You do not use descriptive terms.
    Your definition of partitionist is incorrect. It actually means a person who wants a partition. Where your definition is for anyone that stands in the way of unity.

It's a perfect example of a polarised viewpoint.

Advertisement