Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

can you do the honours seeing as you're making the statement.

No problem. This guy wrote this in response to Doyle's paper;

First, Doyle’s argument with regard to pensions is based in part on the view
    that through payments of social insurance and taxes, individuals accrue entitlements to pensions and that it would be expected that the UK government would honour these entitlements. Doyle makes the point that public pensionsin the UK and Ireland are not funded and instead are pay-as-you-go. He also concedes that the UK government would have a reasonable point if they were to ask the Irish authorities to take over this responsibility because of the lack of pre-funding. Doyle seems to argue that, on balance, the UK would continue to pay but I am simply not so sure. I think it is a more likely outcome that the UK government would look at the fiscal balance in aggregate and seek to negotiate a settlement whereby they might continue to pay part of the pensions bill in exchange, for example, for accepting all liability for the UK national debt.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.3318/isia.2021.32b.31.pdf?refreqid=excelsior%3A4ce6a644a5eb2e740d26e3bd098f4274

jh79 wrote: »

that through payments of social insurance and taxes, individuals accrue entitlements to pensions and that it would be expected that the UK government would honour these entitlements. Doyle makes the point that public pensionsin the UK and Ireland are not funded and instead are pay-as-you-go. He also concedes that the UK government would have a reasonable point if they were to ask the Irish authorities to take over this responsibility because of the lack of pre-funding. Doyle seems to argue that, on balance, the UK would continue to pay but I am simply not so sure. I think it is a more likely outcome that the UK government would look at the fiscal balance in aggregate and seek to negotiate a settlement whereby they might continue to pay part of the pensions bill in exchange, for example, for accepting all liability for the UK national debt.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.3318/isia.2021.32b.31.pdf?refreqid=excelsior%3A4ce6a644a5eb2e740d26e3bd098f4274

Problem. That's a reference to someone's opinion. Can you post up a link to where the UK is not obliged to pay pensions to people that paid National Insurance contributions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,759 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So just because you like the cut of his/her jib, that is what will happen? Really? :)

Problem. That's a reference to someone's opinion. Can you post up a link to where the UK is not obliged to pay pensions to people that paid National Insurance contributions?

Here is another;

Most public pension systems operate on a pay-as-you-go basis. This means
    that pensions paid to current pensioners are financed from contributions paid
    by current workers

https://ifs.org.uk/economic_review/fp184.pdf

Also, as has been pointed out the UK continues to pay pensions to expats, and those that were never British. What makes anyone think they can discriminate against those living in the present NI that will be allowed to retain British citizenship. Fantasy thinking. Pure fantasy.

Plus, the Irish lobby in the US would spill more than British tea into the harbour if the British tried this lark.

So, no. You can forget that fantasy.

• Advertisement

So just because you like the cut of his/her jib, that is what will happen? Really? :)

Where did I say that?

I said SF and Doyle think that they will pay it but that there is no legal obligation. The other guy thinks that they might not in the event of Scottish independence.

I've no idea if they will or not but I think there is a moral obligation even if there is no legal one.

Also, as has been pointed out the UK continues to pay pensions to expats, and those that were never British. What makes anyone think they can discriminate against those living in the present NI that will be allowed to retain British citizenship. Fantasy thinking. Pure fantasy.

Plus, the Irish lobby in the US would spill more than British tea into the harbour if the British tried this lark.

I'd imagine the Unionist fraternity, not confident of the success of a UI will exert pressure to have the British pay them too.

That's just an 'opinion' - it hasn't miraculously gotten a blessing and become fact. :)

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The subvention (which includes pension obligation or otherwise) is only a minor part of the cost of an investment in a United Ireland.

Here is another;

Most public pension systems operate on a pay-as-you-go basis. This means
    that pensions paid to current pensioners are financed from contributions paid
    by current workers

What makes you think the pay as you go system doesn't have a legal obligation to future pensioners? Just because the physical money from Peter is paid to Paul, what makes you think the UK doesn't have a future obligation to Peter?

and

I'd imagine the Unionist fraternity, not confident of the success of a UI will exert pressure to have the British pay them too.

That's just an 'opinion' - it hasn't miraculously gotten a blessing and become fact. :)

Francie, please point out which post where I presented this as a fact?

(well apart from that it is a fact that there is no legal obligation)

• Advertisement

What makes you think the pay as you go system doesn't have a legal obligation to future pensioners? Just because the physical money from Peter is paid to Paul, what makes you think the UK doesn't have a future obligation to Peter?

and

Well it's the law according to the experts. Your pension isn't ring fenced your you.

Well it's the law according to the experts. Your pension isn't ring fenced your you.

The same will go for anyone paid a pension from the UK government. They may stop paying pensions in the future, but they cannot say, we'll pay Clive in Essex and and not Willie junior from Londonderry.

Francie, please point out which post where I presented this as a fact?

(well apart from that it is a fact that there is no legal obligation)

You are ignoring questions and requests for backup from CW. You are trying to leave it out there and are blocking a proper discussion of it as a possibility.

You must think posters are foolish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

As I said to the other poster, the legal position is they don't have to.

I though the same as you guys but the economists say it's a common misconception among the general public that their pension is ring fenced and protected. Probably the exact same situation here too.

You can live abroad and receive your UK pension.
    You are guessing that the UK might renege on the pensions of people who paid into it for their working lives. I believe less than ten years means no pension. Basically if you have paid in enough you are due and you can live where you like.
    Private pensions would remain as is I would imagine.
    These are the kind of things need laying out before we can hazard a guess at the cost of a UI. Throwing out ifs and buts is fun to discuss but not provable at this point.

Shebean wrote: »
    You are guessing that the UK might renege on the pensions of people who paid into it for their working lives. I believe less than ten years means no pension. Basically if you have paid in enough you are due and you can live where you like.
    These are the kind of things need laying out before we can hazard a guess at the cost of a UI. Throwing out ifs and buts is fun to discuss but not provable at this point.

I think we can start off with the point of view that the UK will honour pensions that it has done in the past and will do in the future, at the same rate to its citizens. As it has done in the past. It's fantasy to think otherwise. A fantasy some are readily willing to cling to.

As I said above, I've more faith in the UK than unionists.

As I said, I was surprised when I found out too. It's the same here too.

But Doyle has said it irrelevant anyways as it's not the significant part of the investment.

You are ignoring questions and requests for backup from CW. You are trying to leave it out there and are blocking a proper discussion of it as a possibility.

You must think posters are foolish?

I gave him the back up

But Doyle has said it irrelevant anyways as it's not the significant part of the investment.

Tortoise debating.
    Make a claim, when it is rubbished retreat into your shell claiming it isn't important anyway. :):)

And it's not relevant. IF the UK stops paying pensions then nobody gets them. If the UK does (barring an asteroid hitting) pay pensions to its citizens it will pay to those that paid into the scheme in equal measure, as it has done in the past, as it currently does. That it might stop that in the future is... what's the word... yes, fantasy. That's the word. Fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

It's significant enough to be used as a roadblock by some.
    I cannot see the UK government refusing to pay the pensions of people who fit the criteria for receiving it. While they are capable of anything, I agree, it's not worth putting in the mix as a possibility.

• Advertisement

It's significant enough to be used as a roadblock by some.
    I cannot see the UK government refusing to pay the pensions of people who fit the criteria for receiving it. While they are capable of anything, I agree, it's not worth putting in the mix as a possibility.

Hopefully this has been put to bed... on this thread at least.

Tortoise debating.
    Make a claim, when it is rubbished retreat into your shell claiming it isn't important anyway. :):)

I've backed my claim up. There is no legal obligation. Check the link i've had to post twice! Out for a bit of revenge are we ?

Still, I can't see them not paying. Either way isn't going to have a huge impact on the cost of an investment in a United Ireland.

I've backed my claim up. There is no legal obligation. Check the link i've had to post twice! Out for a bit of revenge are we ?

Still, I can't see them not paying. Either way isn't going to have a huge impact on the cost of an investment in a United Ireland.

You presented it as a negative. Now you claim you can't see it happening. :rolleyes:

You presented it as a negative. Now you claim you can't see it happening. :rolleyes:

Shifting the goal posts I see. Itching to get revenge.

I presented it as an alternative opinion from another expert.

I'm not sure as to whether its a legal obligation or not. I don't think it can be said definitely there's no legal obligation. It would have to be tested in the courts.

What we do know is that it would be electoral suicide for any government to stop paying pensions. Or if the circumstances were to arise for the UK government to stop paying pensions the UK's finances would have to be shattered.

Shifting the goal posts I see. Itching to get revenge.

I presented it as an alternative opinion from another expert.

Flattering yourself won't cut it.

I hope this is the strategy come a BP, present arguments you don't really believe in and withdraw them when they are challenged. I see great success in that :):)

I'm not sure as to whether its a legal obligation or not. I don't think it can be said definitely there's no legal obligation. It would have to be tested in the courts.

What we do know is that it would be electoral suicide for any government to stop paying pensions. Or if the circumstances were to arise for the UK government to stop paying pensions the UK's finances would have to be shattered.

I could guarantee it will be a disgruntled Unionist testing it too.

Flattering yourself won't cut it.

I hope this is the strategy come a BP, present arguments you don't really believe in and withdraw them when they are challenged. I see great success in that :):)

Jaysus you really are hurting.

It was challenged and I backed it up. That is the situation according to 2 individual experts and a UK economic institute.

Doyle wasn't bothered and has promised a reply. Not an insecure Republican presumably.

And it's not relevant. IF the UK stops paying pensions then nobody gets them. If the UK does (barring an asteroid hitting) pay pensions to its citizens it will pay to those that paid into the scheme in equal measure, as it has done in the past, as it currently does. That it might stop that in the future is... what's the word... yes, fantasy. That's the word. Fantasy.

The point the expert was making was that paying for both NI and Scotland might lead to the British negotiating a lower sum. There is no legal obligation so obviously it's a possibility.

• Advertisement

Jaysus you really are hurting.

It was challenged and I backed it up. That is the situation according to 2 individual experts and a UK economic institute.

Doyle wasn't bothered and has promised a reply. Not an insecure Republican presumably.

You backed away from it as unimportant when challenged. And stated you didn't believe it yourself.

Nobody hurting here but your cred.

Advertisement