Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

jh79 wrote: »
    Jaysus you really are hurting.

It was challenged and I backed it up. That is the situation according to 2 individual experts and a UK economic institute.

Doyle wasn't bothered and has promised a reply. Not an insecure Republican presumably.

I don't think the institute is saying what you think its saying.

Current pensions are funded from current NI payments. Funds backed by £s. That's not to say there is no backing in the future, they have the backing of the UK government. The UK government could theoretically renege on pensions. How long do you think they'd stay in power?

Speculation that the UK would stop paying pensions is not worthy of serious consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

I don't think the institute is saying what you think its saying.

Current pensions are funded from current NI payments. Funds backed by £s. That's not to say there is no backing in the future, they have the backing of the UK government. The UK government could theoretically renege on pensions. How long do you think they'd stay in power?

Speculation that the UK would stop paying pensions is not worthy of serious consideration.

What are you on about "staying in power"?
    In a United Ireland they wouldn't have a vote anymore. Did you honestly think they meant all pensions being stopped!!

You backed away from it as unimportant when challenged. And stated you didn't believe it yourself.

Nobody hurting here but your cred.

Sure... that's what happened.

Insecure Republican traits at the forefront today.

Would you like me to find an official UK document on it? Unlikely 2 experts and a UK institute are wrong but I don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,759 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sure... that's what happened.

Insecure Republican traits at the forefront today.

Would you like me to find an official UK document on it? Unlikely 2 experts and a UK institute are wrong but I don't mind.

Speaking of 'insecurity'.
    Anything else that you don't think will happen for us? :D:D

Speaking of 'insecurity'.
    Anything else that you don't think will happen for us? :D:D

So are you after an official document or happy to accept I am right?

It's the case for Ireland too by the way.

• Advertisement

So are you after an official document or happy to accept I am right?

It's the case for Ireland too by the way.

You are right about an opinion that you don't think is going to happen.

Honestly, I have heard it all. Presenting stuff that you don't think will happen is desperation stuff.

Keep it coming.

You are right about an opinion that you don't think is going to happen.

Honestly, I have heard it all. Presenting stuff that you don't think will happen is desperation stuff.

Keep it coming.

What are you on about? There is no legal obligation in the UK to pay pensions is a fact. NI is part of the UK in case you've forgotten.

What are you on about? There is no legal obligation in the UK to pay pensions is a fact. NI is part of the UK in case you've forgotten.

But you think they will. How can you claim it's an 'expert' opinion when you don't even agree with it. :):)

But you think they will. How can you claim it's an 'expert' opinion when you don't even agree with it. :):)

Quote the offending post so.

Quote the offending post so.
    Still, I can't see them not paying.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117544848&postcount=3834

• Advertisement

What are you on about "staying in power"?
    In a United Ireland they wouldn't have a vote anymore. Did you honestly think they meant all pensions being stopped!!

The UK either pay everyone that paid NI (as they currently do) or not pay anyone. You're the one saying they could change that. Precedence has legal effect.

In the UK parliament is sovereign, so technically they could change the law. Similarly they could make rape legal. Neither are remotely likely to happen.

That's your "proof"!

I posted a summary of various experts on the pension issue all in a single post.

Now, where did i say it was likely to happen and then change my mind like you claim?

The whole "Big Reveal" white paper thing has really got to you.

That's your "proof"!

I posted a summary of various experts on the pension issue all in a single post.

Now, where did i say it was likely to happen and then change my mind like you claim?

The whole "Big Reveal" white paper thing has really got to you.

Why would you post opinions you dont agree with?

Bizarre carry on.
    Almost as bizarre as inventing something I said and claiming a victory.

Seriously jh79, review the strategy.

Why would you post opinions you dont agree with?

Bizarre carry on.
    Almost as bizarre as inventing something I said and claiming a victory.

Seriously jh79, review the strategy.

So my crime has gone from being factually incorrect to saying it was likely to happen but then backtracking to then retreating when challenged to wait for it.....

Posting expert opinion about a possible scenario I personally believe wouldn't happen. On an internet discussion board of all places!

So my crime has gone from being factually incorrect to saying it was likely to happen but then backtracking to then retreating when challenged to wait for it.....

Posting expert opinion about a possible scenario I personally believe wouldn't happen. On an internet discussion board of all places!

Why would you do it? Was the question.
    Did you think it wouldn't be challenged and you wouldn't have to reveal you didnt think it would happen, and then the real doozy, that it's not that important anyway. :)

Why would you do it? Was the question.
    Did you think it wouldn't be challenged and you wouldn't have to reveal you didnt think it would happen, and then the real doozy, that it's not that important anyway. :)

Ok Francie one thing at a time seeing as your determined to keep digging.

* I always said the subvention wasn't important. Do you really need to see Doyle's tweet again calling it irrelevant? An expert you recommend by the way.

Pensions make up part of the subvention. The subvention is just the deficit. Part of that is what they pay out on the pension. If pension commitments drop the deficit will reduce ie the subvention will reduce.

But as already pointed out an expert you recommended says the subvention is irrelevant in a debate on Irish Unity.

How you are surprised that I would say the pension issue is irrelevant is beyond me? Especially you, given I'm been saying it to you for god knows how long.

Are you saying pensions are not part of the subvention? That the only other possibility I can think of.

Could you just clear this up first?

Ok Francie one thing at a time seeing as your determined to keep digging.

* I always said the subvention wasn't important. Do you really need to see Doyle's tweet again calling it irrelevant? An expert you recommend by the way.

Pensions make up part of the subvention. The subvention is just the deficit. Part of that is what they pay out on the pension. If pension commitments drop the deficit will reduce ie the subvention will reduce.

But as already pointed out an expert you recommended says the subvention is irrelevant in a debate on Irish Unity.

How you are surprised that I would say the pension issue is irrelevant is beyond me? Especially you, given I'm been saying it to you for god knows how long.

Are you saying pensions are not part of the subvention? That the only other possibility I can think of.

Could you just clear this up first?

Perhaps stop calling people you don't agree with 'experts'?

I am 'surprised' by you introducing something you didn't believe would happen.

And I never 'recommended' Mr Doyle to anyone. Another invention/lie on the lines of me talking about a 'big reveal'.

If you are seriously against a UI, you need to up the game.

Take care. No need to clog up the thread with the back and forth.

Perhaps stop calling people you don't agree with 'experts'?,

Seriously?

I should stop calling an academic who published a rebuttal to Doyle's research in the very same journal an expert because I personally don't think it would happen!

And I never 'recommended' Mr Doyle to anyone. Another invention/lie on the lines of me talking about a 'big reveal'.

You posted his Irish Times article and paraphrasing here said "it would shake things up" on the subvention. Not long after you recommended following him on Twitter. I did and my first reply to you was the tweet saying the subvention was irrelevant.

Ring a bell at all, do you really need to see the posts?

Seriously?

I should stop calling an academic who published a rebuttal to Doyle's research in the very same journal an expert because I personally don't think it would happen!

How can you call someone an expert if you disagree with their point? Maybe it was a bit of gloss you added to give the opinion weight before you were challenged on it. Who knows.

Maybe I was raised in a different era when words meant something.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Over and out.

• Advertisement

You posted his Irish Times article and paraphrasing here said "it would shake things up" on the subvention. Not long after you recommended following him on Twitter. I did and my first reply to you was the tweet saying the subvention was irrelevant.

Ring a bell at all, do you really need to see the posts?

Clutching at straws now.
    I told you to follow him on Twitter BECAUSE you could not get enough info from the article I posted. I post loads of articles about loads of topics.

Slimy attempt there to mis-represent again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117065460&postcount=1900

Clutching at straws now.
    I told you to follow him on Twitter BECAUSE you could not get enough info from the article I posted. I post loads of articles about loads of topics.

Slimy attempt there to mis-represent again.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117065460&postcount=1900

So did he shake things up? Do you agree with his research?

How can you call someone an expert if you disagree with their point? Maybe it was a bit of gloss you added to give the opinion weight before you were challenged on it. Who knows.

Maybe I was raised in a different era when words meant something.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Over and out.

His reply was published in the journal as a rebuttal to peer reviewed research. He's an expert not some random person off boards or twitter.

Don't think it's the era Francie, just you.

What is your field? If not similar a bit arrogant to think you know more on the subject to judge him as not an expert don't you think?

So did he shake things up? Do you agree with his research?

Do some more research, I have been saying for years the subvention is not as high as the scaremongers insisted.

I agree with him and others who said it before.

Seems it takes an 'expert' from certain quarters for you guys to finally accept what it didn't take an 'expert' (me) to work out.

Do some more research, I have been saying for years the subvention is not as high as the scaremongers insisted.

I agree with him and others who said it before.

Seems it takes an 'expert' from certain quarters for you guys to finally accept what it didn't take an 'expert' (me) to work out.

And his tweet about it being irrelevant ? Do you agree with that too?

And his tweet about it being irrelevant ? Do you agree with that too?

I've also been saying the costs IMO are irrelevant to the benefits of a UI (said again yesterday) so yes I agree with him. But that point was also made by others before.

I've also been saying the costs IMO are irrelevant to the benefits of a UI (said again yesterday) so yes I agree with him. But that point was also made by others before.

Interesting spin. I'll get back to you on that one. Want to give it another read. Certain he did a podcast with times too on the subject. Don't remember much talk on the anything other than the financial.

Just so we don't waste each others time. What do you mean by benefits? Peace , equality that kind of stuff or do you mean the financial benefits make the cost irrelevant?

Just to rule that out before I reply properly.

Also, are you basing this on the paper? Nothing in his Irish Times article fits the bill.

Just in case I am accused of it. I don't 'recommend' Susan McKay as any particular expert on the subject, I post this as opinion of interest to the debate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/opinion/northern-ireland-centenary.html

• Advertisement

Just so we don't waste each others time. What do you mean by benefits? Peace , equality that kind of stuff or do you mean the financial benefits make the cost irrelevant?

Just to rule that out before I reply properly.

Also, are you basing this on the paper? Nothing in his Irish Times article fits the bill.

I have pointed this all out/debated it before. Not really bothered to do it again. I am not here to be interrogated at the court of jh79.

Advertisement