Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Do better than what?

I didn't notice any original proposals while reading the thread. Was there something stand out about yours?

Would there be a tax increase or social welfare cut imposed on the people of rep Ireland to fund a UI temporary or otherwise?
    Simple question a yes or no answer will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,727 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tom1ie wrote: »
    Would there be a tax increase or social welfare cut imposed on the people of rep Ireland to fund a UI temporary or otherwise?
    Simple question a yes or no answer will suffice.

Possibly yes.

My preference would be to see a rationalisation taking place ahead of a handover. Over a 10 year period, reduce the public service by redeployment, natural retirement, and an embargo on new recruitment.
    A root and branch restructuring of health and a pick and mix of the best bits of the two education systems. A major drive to bring in investment to blackspots etc.

Nothing too scary in that.

Possibly yes.

My preference would be to see a rationalisation taking place ahead of a handover. Over a 10 year period, reduce the public service by redeployment, natural retirement, and an embargo on new recruitment.
    A root and branch restructuring of health and a pick and mix of the best bits of the two education systems. A major drive to bring in investment to blackspots etc.

Nothing too scary in that.

There is as none of the above will happen.
    Sounds like decentralisation.

If a tax or cuts to social welfare and the loss of the NHS in the north are results of a UI who in there right mind would vote for that?

There is as none of the above will happen.
    Sounds like decentralisation.

If a tax or cuts to social welfare and the loss of the NHS in the north are results of a UI who in there right mind would vote for that?

Why would it not happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What flag would a UI have?

The obsession with flags in the north probably means it'll be a contentious issue. That'll be an interesting obstacle whenever it comes up :)!

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    What flag would a UI have?

The obsession with flags in the north probably means it'll be a contentious issue. That'll be an interesting obstacle whenever it comes up :)!

The reason northern Ireland doesn't have a flag is because one cannot be agreed.

I see no issue in compromising and getting rid of the tricolour if it offends. A selection of new flags can then be agreed and we all vote on the one we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

It's all well and good for a near-superpower country to handle the problems there, economic and otherwise.

The republic trying to absorb that area would be unmitigated disaster for all concerned in every way imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A selection of new flags can then be agreed and we all vote on the one we want.

Probably the best and fairest way to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

It's had 100 years, that is why we are where we are. Another 50 or 100 will make no difference, it cannot govern itself.

And if it can't govern itself how can Dublin look after it. Can't even build a Childers hospital.

And if it can't govern itself how can Dublin look after it. Can't even build a Childers hospital.

'Dublin' wouldn't be. We would 'all' be governing ourselves, 'deciding our fate ourselves without outside impediment'.

Why be afraid of that?

• Advertisement

'Dublin' wouldn't be. We would 'all' be governing ourselves, 'deciding our fate ourselves without outside impediment'.

Why be afraid of that?

So your not afraid of a united Ireland rejoining the UK... In theory...when the people decide to.

Why would it not happen?

Do you trust this government to get all that right?
    To integrate the psni with the guards?
    To balance the pay structures between NI teachers and REP teachers in a UI?
    Would the rep Ireland teacher payscales come down to the same levels as the ni teacher payscales?
    I think we all know the answer to that one.
    Same for firemen, paramedics etc etc.
    The government cant get the HSE to run itself properly yet you trust them to sort out these issues which would only be the tip of the iceberg at the same time as finding the money, but not through SW cuts or higher taxation?
    That’s la la land stuff tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

6 wrote: »
    Probably the best and fairest way to deal with it

Sounds like majority rule. So the tricolour would obviously win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I see no issue in compromising and getting rid of the tricolour if it offends. A selection of new flags can then be agreed and we all vote on the one we want.

I would contend a majority of people in the Republic would have a big problem with getting rid of the tri colour in the case of a UI.

Theres been no real polling done on it so its impossible to say one way or another but i dont see how you can so easily dismiss this as being something that would not be a large issue for a border poll in the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭mehico

downcow wrote: »
    Sounds like majority rule. So the tricolour would obviously win

I think it would have to be a new flag.

So your not afraid of a united Ireland rejoining the UK... In theory...when the people decide to.

If a majority decide that, as a democrat I would have to accept it, as I accept the current status.

Do you trust this government to get all that right?
    To integrate the psni with the guards?
    To balance the pay structures between NI teachers and REP teachers in a UI?
    Would the rep Ireland teacher payscales come down to the same levels as the ni teacher payscales?
    I think we all know the answer to that one.
    Same for firemen, paramedics etc etc.
    The government cant get the HSE to run itself properly yet you trust them to sort out these issues which would only be the tip of the iceberg at the same time as finding the money, but not through SW cuts or higher taxation?
    That’s la la land stuff tbh.

The government don't have the will you mean. Anything can be fixed if the will is there. Are you proposing we just accept things as they are and never seek to improve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not going to happen.
    there would absolutely be no benefit or reason for us to rejoin with a basket case state.
    reunification between the north and south is what is going to happen and you just need to get used to it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

there would absolutely be no benefit or reason for us to rejoin with a basket case state.
    reunification between the north and south is what is going to happen and you just need to get used to it.

one on the many valid and logical reasons why we don't want to rejoin with NI

I have no doubt that the irony of your statement will be lost on you

'and you just need to get used to it'
    And it that attitude that has me worried. If that what's being thrown about on a Internet site....... God help you trying to get Billy on board.
    I've said it here before, let the north sort themselves out first. No interference from London or Dublin. Replacing Dublin for London will only replace Unionist for Republican and the wheel keeps on turning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

one on the many valid and logical reasons why we don't want to rejoin with NI

I have no doubt that the irony of your statement will be lost on you

NI is the way it is because of the abomination of partition and being under UK rule, but that is very fixable.
    the UK itself on the other hand is less certain with scotland probably heading for the door in the near future and wales who knows, with england itself falling victim to the far and alt right.
    maybe they will turn things around who knows, but there is no doubt the only way to stop NI being a basket case is reunification with the south.
    'and you just need to get used to it'
    And it that attitude that has me worried. If that what's being thrown about on a Internet site....... God help you trying to get Billy on board.
    I've said it here before, let the north sort themselves out first. No interference from London or Dublin. Replacing Dublin for London will only replace Unionist for Republican and the wheel keeps on turning

leaving northern ireland to sort itself out without interference has been tried, we ended up with one of the most sectarian states in europe and a 30 year conflict and all of the issues that went with it, and still do.
    that won't be happening again.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

NI is the way it is because of the abomination of partition and being under UK rule, but that is very fixable.
    the UK itself on the other hand is less certain with scotland probably heading for the door in the near future and wales who knows, with england itself falling victim to the far and alt right.
    maybe they will turn things around who knows, but there is no doubt the only way to stop NI being a basket case is reunification with the south.

leaving northern ireland to sort itself out without interference has been tried, we ended up with one of the most sectarian states in europe and a 30 year conflict and all of the issues that went with it, and still do.
    that won't be happening again.

Yes but with the nationalist population now in the majority which has been pointed out here numerous times thing will be as clean cut as the UI that has been put forward. Wasn't one of the main issues that the nationalist population were the minority?

I don't think a vote on an UI is as clear cut either side of the line as some posters here think.

The government don't have the will you mean. Anything can be fixed if the will is there. Are you proposing we just accept things as they are and never seek to improve?

I never suggested accepting anything.
    You mention improve? How would an extra tax on my pay packet improve anything for me?
    Explain that to me Francie.

I never suggested accepting anything.
    You mention improve? How would an extra tax on my pay packet improve anything for me?
    Explain that to me Francie.

Tax as an investment. You pay tax so the government can invest in making the country better.

And you are accepting, if you resist change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How would an extra tax on my pay packet improve anything for me?

Belfast seriously under-performs when compared to Dublin. Belfast can become a sister-city to Dublin and I've little doubt that the economy of Ulster could be reoriented fairly quickly to perform in line with the rest of the country.

Tax as an investment. You pay tax so the government can invest in making the country better.

And you are accepting, if you resist change.

How does it make the country better francie?

Belfast seriously under-performs when compared to Dublin. Belfast can become a sister-city to Dublin and I've little doubt that the economy of Ulster could be reoriented fairly quickly to perform in line with the rest of the country.

That’s great but how long will the extra tax on my pay packet last and how long will that tax be in place?

How does it make the country better francie?

In many ways tom1ie.

In many ways tom1ie.

Grand, but how?
    I’m failing to see any positives to the working people of the rep, I’m also failing to see any positives to the people of NI as they lose the NHS.

• Advertisement

That’s great but how long will the extra tax on my pay packet last and how long will that tax be in place?

A tiny fraction of a second is the answer to the first part and for as long as it is required if it is required at all is the answer to the second part.

Advertisement