Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm old enough to remember the troubles. Are you. The specifics are as follows and you can fill in as appropriate.
    Cost to ROI budget
    Unionist intregration
    Health system for NI
    Public service jobs both North and South.

1.There will be NO ROI budget, there will be an Irish budget
    2. That in large measure is up to Unionists to propose.
    3. A new system for the island is required. The notion that nobody 'pays' for the NHS is nonsense as is the notion that it hasn't got problems too and big ones coming down the line.
    4. PS reform and rationalisaton ahead of hand over, not beyond anybody if the will is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Missing my point or choosing not to answer
    What are your proposals on marches for example
    3. A new system for the island is required. The notion that nobody 'pays' for the NHS is nonsense as is the notion that it hasn't got problems too and big ones coming down the line.
    HSE is a mess as it is. Good luck with that and it's unions
    4. PS reform and rationalisaton ahead of hand over, not beyond anybody if the will is there.
    See above ré unions

See above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Specifics for democracy? It's going to be PR dude.

NI ain't worked for 100 years. Another 50 won't help.

Questions re finance have been repeatedly answered at length above. Fair enough if you don't like the answers but they're not changing because of your dissatisfaction.

They haven’t been answered. Are we getting taxed more for this or not?
    Simple question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭mehico

Maybe you will be paying less tax?

I'm old enough to remember the troubles. Are you. The specifics are as follows and you can fill in as appropriate.
    Cost to ROI budget
    Unionist intregration
    Health system for NI

This.
    I’ve asked this too and no one has given any straight coatings or answers.
    Until I know this info it’s a NO to a UI from me.
    However I could be convinced if people provided costed proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

tom1ie wrote: »
    Simple question.

Yes is the answer. No other way.

Hence why it's doomed short term.

6 wrote: »
    Yes is the answer. No other way.

Hence why it's doomed short term.

Do you get your wage check and dissect the taxes you are paying and mutter under your breath about how much you are paying for Munster, or Connacht etc?

Just interested in this and how you do it?

Do you get your wage check and dissect the taxes you are paying and mutter under your breath about how much you are paying for Munster, or Connacht etc?

Just interested in this and how you do it?

This makes no sense and is a terrible comparison.

6 wrote: »
    This makes no sense and is a terrible comparison.

You are setting up to object to paying towards the running of your country.

I just wondered how you work out how much you are paying for Munster Connacht etc. Or say a public servant in Sligo?

We pay our taxes, the taxes are used to run the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Is it possible that in the event of a United Ireland these two islands would be brought closer together?

Unionist Northern Ireland will not easily let go their connections with next door, and I suspect we wouldn't want to cut them off completely (from the rest of these islands), so maybe we will move a bit closer to Great Britain in order to bring Unionism closer to us?

Waits for Republican backlash :eek:
    Pith helmet on, in trench waiting for incoming.

• Advertisement

Is it possible that in the event of a United Ireland these two islands would be brought closer together?

Unionist Northern Ireland will not easily let go their connections with next door, and I suspect we wouldn't want to cut them off completely (from the rest of these islands), so maybe we will move a bit closer to Great Britain in order to bring Unionism closer to us?

We have a close working relationship with GB, or had until they decided to go up against the EU.
    Don't see an issue with maintaining a close relationship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, the republic needs an nhs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Interesting suggestion. That and autonomy for ni in a UI and you might start to get the attention of some.
    Mind you that does resolve the massive financial issues

downcow wrote: »
    Interesting suggestion. That and autonomy for ni in a UI and you might start to get the attention of some.
    Mind you that does resolve the massive financial issues

Can you explain how this 'autonomy' would work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Cost to ROI budget
    Unionist intregration
    Health system for NI

Budget cost high, countrywide not ROI, much underwritten by UK obligations, EU funds and US investment.

Democratic integration for Unionists. Respect going both ways as there has been in the Republic between religions and adversaries post-independence.

National health system, hopefully closer to NHS than current HSE and private system brought into the public fold as was possible during this pandemic.

Those in UK public service will find their skills incorporated into an Irish administration. Pruning of both services pre-unification with scant recruitment and those pensioned off not replaced.

See above

I see no points, just a badly formulated answer.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Simple question.

Hopefully yes, so the transformation can be done properly.

May not be a need if UK, EU and US cash covers it though. Peace/Reunification dividend.

Not with Brexit and the English nationalism that is currently at play. Ireland will definitely move much closer to an independent Scotland, something that surely would be welcomed by most of the Unionist population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Not with Brexit and the English nationalism that is currently at play. Ireland will definitely move much closer to an independent Scotland, something that surely would be welcomed by most of the Unionist population.

Scottish independence is not going to happen.

I just hope Seath your not leading the negotiations

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

It was until the the voters got spooked by the cost. People with pensions and savings.

Not sure Scotland was ready for it anyway. Well, obviously they weren't!

Bambi wrote: »

Based on?

I just hope Seath your not leading the negotiations

And why not? Why not indeed?

Should I need any technical back-up I must apologise for not calling on you but give me a shout when you've learned to cut-and-paste.

And why not? Why not indeed?

Should I need any technical back-up I must apologise for not calling on you but give me a shout when you've learned to cut-and-paste.

Have a word with the developers of the touch site on the quote function and cut'n paste.

In relation to other point..... Play the ball not the man to use a well known phrase.

Now that I have time to format to Seaths requirements. Based on Francis replies....

See above ré unions

Now that I have time to format to Seaths requirements. Based on Francis replies....

I subsequently asked how do you reject paying for Munster or Connacht if you are taxed n them?
    They are a part of the country as northern Ireland will be. Therefore not a cost. We may have to invest as we have in other regions and probably always will from time to time if required. There is no reason I can think of that northern Ireland will not eventually be just like Munster or Connacht and potentially a bgger earner f you count in the size of Belfast and it's infrastructure.

Nobody cares about marches that are respectful and non bigoted.

Asfine a chance we will get to reform and completely restructure it.
    And I stand by what I said about the myths of the NHS stuff.
    See above ré unions

See what about unions?

Public sector reform both North and South and Union impass

I subsequently asked how do you reject paying for Munster or Connacht if you are taxed n them?
    They are a part of the country as northern Ireland will be. Therefore not a cost. We may have to invest as we have in other regions and probably always will from time to time if required. There is no reason I can think of that northern Ireland will not eventually be just like Munster or Connacht and potentially a bgger earner f you count in the size of Belfast and it's infrastructure.

Connaught and parts of Munster are impoverished enough currently without monies being both diverted from the East Coast without its peoples paying to reform a disfunctional system

Hopefully yes, so the transformation can be done properly.

May not be a need if UK, EU and US cash covers it though. Peace/Reunification dividend.

Hopefully yes?
    You want to pay more tax?
    If so I would say you are in a minority.

• Advertisement

Nobody cares about marches that are respectful and non bigoted.

Asfine a chance we will get to reform and completely restructure it.
    And I stand by what I said about the myths of the NHS stuff.

See what about unions?

Lmao!
    We pay a certain amount of tax to run the republic.
    The uk pay a certain amount of tax to run NI.
    if we take over NI that means we need to cover the money that the UK were paying.
    How do we do that without a tax increase or service costs.
    You have absolutely no idea how NI will be paid for in a UI system do ya, or maybe you are the only person on boards that’ll be happy with a tax increase?

Advertisement