Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tom1ie wrote: »
    Lmao!
    We pay a certain amount of tax to run the republic.
    The uk pay a certain amount of tax to run NI.
    if we take over NI that means we need to cover the money that the UK were paying.
    How do we do that without a tax increase or service costs.
    You have absolutely no idea how NI will be paid for in a UI system do ya, or maybe you are the only person on boards that’ll be happy with a tax increase?

Northern Ireland will be a contributing part of the country. I will be paying for my country when I pay my tax. That is HOW it will work.

If tax goes up so be it.

Connaught and parts of Munster are impoverished enough currently without monies being both diverted from the East Coast without its peoples paying to reform a disfunctional system

Who looks at Munster and Connacht as a 'cost'?

I certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Who looks at Munster and Connacht as a 'cost'?

I certainly don't.

And I said that where? I said if areas like connaught become net contributers instead of receivers it will be a whole different landscape in these areas post UI and not for the better.

And I said that where? I said if areas like connaught become net contributers instead of receivers it will be a whole different landscape in these areas post UI and not for the better.

You are presenting northern Ireland as a 'cost'. That is where you said it.
    It won't, it will be a part of the country, just like Munster and Connacht etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Do you get your wage check and dissect the taxes you are paying and mutter under your breath about how much you are paying for Munster, or Connacht etc?

Just interested in this and how you do it?

Munster or Connacht are not Ulster

in reality almost no on wants ulster . the brits or us , its a awful place.
    its expensive to run and has social problems we are not equipped to deal with , UI would also make a sf government a possibility which no one wants either apart from their indoctrinated online army and party shills
    Any one with any intelligence situational awareness or financial sense wants nothing to do with the mess that the loyalists and sf have made up there.
    its like some less developed eastern European countries ive been to.

In spite many efforts to elicit a intelligent response about a viable financial plan from any pro UI poster nothing has been forthcoming apart from this sort of rubbish . sure ye play for Munster :pac::pac:

come back to us in 50 years min and we might have another think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Northern Ireland will be a contributing part of the country. I will be paying for my country when I pay my tax. That is HOW it will work.

If tax goes up so be it.

Ffs. How can NI contribute if it TAKES money from the UK at the minute.
    Grand you wanna pay extra tax, I don’t and anyone I know gives out about the amount of tax they currently pay so I’d be fairly sure your in the minority.

You are presenting northern Ireland as a 'cost'. That is where you said it.
    It won't, it will be a part of the country, just like Munster and Connacht etc.

And someone who won't work in Dublin is a cost to every tax payer in Connaught. All areas of a functioning government has costs. Its the ability to finance the costs that make or break a country. Remember 2008 to 2012? How close we came to being a bankrupt state. No UI should be even muted until a well tested finance plan is developed and stress tested. Throw in another Covid like crisis..... Global down turn or two......oli crisis. If your figures hold up and I'm not paying another 3k a year tax to finance I'll change my tune and be first in line to vote for a UI

And someone who won't work in Dublin is a cost to every tax payer in Connaught. All areas of a functioning government has costs. Its the ability to finance the costs that make or break a country. Remember 2008 to 2012? How close we came to being a bankrupt state. No UI should be even muted until a well tested finance plan is developed and stress tested. Throw in another Covid like crisis..... Global down turn or two......oli crisis. If your figures hold up and I'm not paying another 3k a year tax to finance I'll change my tune and be first in line to vote for a UI

The 'government' broke us in 2008.

The 'government' broke us in 2008.

And you think it won't happen again. Leftest politics with tax the worker to give to all will kill the countries golden goose. All this talk of the EU, US and UK Bank rolling the UI is fantasy land. Yes they will give support but I guarantee you there will be a day when we would be expected to stand on our own two feet.

The reality is the 6 counties are a 'cost'. Currently supported by UK lifeline money. We will shoulder this cost.

And you think it won't happen again. Leftest politics with tax the worker to give to all will kill the countries golden goose. All this talk of the EU, US and UK Bank rolling the UI is fantasy land. Yes they will give support but I guarantee you there will be a day when we would be expected to stand on our own two feet.

The reality is the 6 counties are a 'cost'. Currently supported by UK lifeline money. We will shoulder this cost.

The reality is Munster and Cnnacht are a cost...if you want to see it that way.

I don't, we are a country...plusses and minuses, costs and benefits etc.

• Advertisement

any proofs ? links ? plans ? for this economic theory .

any proofs ? links ? plans ? for this economic theory .

No, not trying to convince you Stevo. You tick that box too come the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

A cost that we already for francie!!
    We don’t currently pay for NI the UK does.
    How do you not see this.
    I think your trolling at this stage.

No, not trying to convince you Stevo. You tick that box too come the day.

its a discussion board though francie

all your doing is repeating the same nonsensible statements again and again and insisting that they are true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Looking at 2019 the year before the pandemic hit and thrown government finances.

ROI GDP was €350bn and there was a slight surplus.
    NI GDP was €50bn and ran a defcit of €12bn.

So for the whole Ireland if there was one economy there would have been a deficit of about 3% (12bn/400bn). This is within euro limits and is by no means unaffordable. The ROI was running deficits of over 10% as recent as 2012.

Also if NI was handed over given that it runs such a defcit it is likely that no government debt of the UK will come attached with it. The UK would be happy enough to get rid of a €12bn loss region even if it takes none of its debt so an all Ireland debt to GDP would initially fall compared with the ROI debt to GDP.

The EU said a UI will have the same terms as the ROI in the EU so NI will be able to lower its corperatation tax to 12.5% to attract MNCs. Belfast being the second largest city in Ireland would be in a good place to attract MNCs.

In 1921 all the money in Ireland was in the North, now it's in the south. ROI has no natural resources and became wealthy from attracting foreign investment. Why cant what is NI do this in a UI aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No. I'm all for it. All I want is some specific proposals on the finance and logistics of how this will happen so we can discuss here. I proposed an independent NI for 50 years to get their house in order and then let NI decide on what they want.

Suggesting an independent NI is like suggesting the Yankees should have allowed the confederate states to keep their slavery.

There's a reason for example that Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan were kept out of NI for partition. Because they wanted to have NI with a built in supremacy.

So suggesting an independent NI is like suggesting the KKK should have their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭normanbond

No
    Let them resolve things amicably up there first.
    Learn a bit of tolerance and diplomacy. Figure out how to make their economy self-sustaining without the need for handouts from London.
    The rest of the UK doesn’t really want them, not much of an appetite for them down here in the republic either ......

Suggesting an independent NI is like suggesting the Yankees should have allowed the confederate states to keep their slavery.

There's a reason for example that Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan were kept out of NI for partition. Because they wanted to have NI with a built in supremacy.

So suggesting an independent NI is like suggesting the KKK should have their own country.

And over two hundred years later its still bubbling away. And people think a UI will be all flowers and fluffy clouds.

its a discussion board though francie

all your doing is repeating the same nonsensible statements again and again and insisting that they are true

My view is my view, you have yours. My vote is worth the same as yours.

We pay our taxes, the taxes are used to run the whole country.

I just wondered how you work out how much you are paying for Munster Connacht etc. Or say a public servant in Sligo?

You are setting up to object to paying towards the running of your country.

The majority of Sinn Fein dieters that I know aren't paying much in taxes and won't be the ones paying for the burden of the extra taxation required for reunification.

After all, isn't SF the party that thinks it's representatives should only receive the industrial average wage, which means also a huge reduction in taxes payable on that.

Nothing unusual in that. They want to tax high incomes while forgetting to mention that we need to encourage highly paid consultants to work in our hospitals.

Maybe their "volunteer" principles can work on fixing that.

• Advertisement

That's laughable considering it's currently subsidized by the UK for billions.

You're ignoring how much extra tax will have to be raised to integrate it.

Why would we want to pay that extra when we can just leave things as they are...

That's laughable considering it's currently subsidized by the UK for billions.

You're ignoring how much extra tax will have to be raised to integrate it.

Why would we want to pay that extra when we can just leave things as they are...

I assure you I am ignoring nothing.
    I see a UI as an investment. Like any infrastructural or social prospect - you invest to benefit.
    That isnt seen by me anyway as 'cost'.

My view is my view, you have yours. My vote is worth the same as yours.

and you feel that you can claim any kind of economic nonsense is true because its your opinion

ya that's worth a vote

the shinners really are having a mare this month again

and you feel that you can claim any kind of economic nonsense is true because its your opinion

ya that's worth a vote

the shinners really are having a mare this month again

What 'economic' nonsense?

I just said how I view a UI - as an investment.

You don't. That's fine, I'm not here to convince you as stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Have a word with the developers of the touch site on the quote function and cut'n paste.

In relation to other point..... Play the ball not the man to use a well known phrase.

Wasn't your last post regarding me as a negotiator? Or was your point above a moment of self-reflection?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Wasn't your last post regarding me as a negotiator? Or was your point above a moment of self-reflection?

Both really. Shouldn't have commented without explaining.
    Pick on the content of my posts not the grammar. If that's the best comeback you have so be it.
    In relation to your skill as a negotiator, I'm sure your diplomatic responce to my explanation will put my fear to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The majority of Sinn Fein dieters that I know aren't paying much in taxes and won't be the ones paying for the burden of the extra taxation required for reunification.

After all, isn't SF the party that thinks it's representatives should only receive the industrial average wage, which means also a huge reduction in taxes payable on that.

Nothing unusual in that. They want to tax high incomes while forgetting to mention that we need to encourage highly paid consultants to work in our hospitals.

Maybe their "volunteer" principles can work on fixing that.

I think the way it works is that the representatives get paid the going rate, they just donate whatever is over the average industrial wage to party funds. That means they have funds to pay people, rather than relying on volunteers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I subsequently asked how do you reject paying for Munster or Connacht if you are taxed n them?
    They are a part of the country as northern Ireland will be. Therefore not a cost. We may have to invest as we have in other regions and probably always will from time to time if required. There is no reason I can think of that northern Ireland will not eventually be just like Munster or Connacht and potentially a bgger earner f you count in the size of Belfast and it's infrastructure.

Connaught and parts of Munster are impoverished enough currently without monies being both diverted from the East Coast without its peoples paying to reform a disfunctional system

The Southern EU parliament Constituency (Munster + Kilkenny + Wexford) is the second wealthiest region in the EU (after Luxembourg). Eastern/Midlands/Dublin (mainly Leinster is 4th).
    https://infogram.com/the-eus-richest-regions-1hmr6gj3orxo6nl

Ireland’s Southern region also recorded the greatest labour productivity rate from some 240 regions in the EU in 2019.
    The latest figures show that GDP per person employed in the Southern region was €205,000 compared to the EU average of €66,800, while Eastern and Midland had the second highest level in the EU with €156,900.
    In contrast, the rate for the Northern and Western Region was less than €70,000.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6660274/munster-second-wealthiest-european-union/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Hdjsjsjsj

Yeah it would be nice to get the whole county back for sure.

One of the most irritating problems for a lot of people would be that it would officially kill the Irish car market and it's bad enough already.

But obviously not a problem in the grand scheme. More just something that extremely frustrating for people that like cars.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    The Southern EU parliament Constituency (Munster + Kilkenny + Wexford) is the second wealthiest region in the EU (after Luxembourg). Eastern/Midlands/Dublin (mainly Leinster is 4th).
    https://infogram.com/the-eus-richest-regions-1hmr6gj3orxo6nl

How much of that is distorted by pharma in Cork? I'm sure parts of Clare don't feel rich this morning. It's like the Irelands a rich country until you see some of the villages in Leitrim or areas of inner city Dublin etc. Larger the area bigger the distortion

Advertisement