Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    As before I'm happy with paying extra tax to fund reunification if required. Thus no need for cuts to services.

That extra tax could be spent on more needy projects.
    Serious question and don’t take this the wrong way but do you pay income tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can you point to backup for social welfare 'cuts'?

Social welfare rates in the North (under a SF government) are far below those in the South (under a FF/FG/Green government. Are we going to pay more tax for those in the North, or cut rates for those in the South?

Some honesty of response on this would be welcome from supporters of a UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,737 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

tom1ie wrote: »
    So you agree the government has squandered the tax money we pay already, yet you are willing to take on a further liability and pay MORE tax so we can say we live in a UI?!
    Nuts.

I think a UI will fundamentally change how we do politics here.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It creates big opportunities for NI with a 12.5% corperatation tax.

The whole of Ireland ran a defcit of 3% of its GDP in 2019 which is by no means excessive. A UI is by no means unaffordable.

The North already has the freedom to set a 12.5% corporation tax rate, but Sinn Fein have blocked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

In what way?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Social welfare rates in the North (under a SF government) are far below those in the South (under a FF/FG/Green government. Are we going to pay more tax for those in the North, or cut rates for those in the South?

Some honesty of response on this would be welcome from supporters of a UI.

Once again....THERE IS NO SF government in the north. Sensationalism mixed with a wilful ignorance of how the failed state operates is no excuse at this stage.

....meaning?

The EU will be contributing to a UI.

No they won't, not a single shred of evidence has been presented that the would, could or will contribute a single cent.

Some vague aspirational notions of Cohesion Funds etc that are there already means nothing.

I would be in favour of cutting SW in the ROI to pay for a United Ireland.

I would not be in favour of raising taxes to achieve the same goal.

jh79 wrote: »
    In what way?

I think you will see something closer to a real republic where a 'power swap' between two similar, if not the same parties is not dividing the spoils among itself.

• Advertisement

I think you will see something closer to a real republic where a 'power swap' between two similar, if not the same parties is not dividing the spoils among itself.

A real republic?

What is a real republic?

No they won't, not a single shred of evidence has been presented that the would, could or will contribute a single cent.

Some vague aspirational notions of Cohesion Funds etc that are there already means nothing.

Something more convincing than what you have offered as evidence blanch - 'history'.

The EU has committed to funding the peace here on an on going basis. No reason to suspect that they will not continue to fund a UI - the ultimate peace project and NOW politically advantageous to the EU from a Single Market point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

All Ireland unity. If its not going to cost a lot SW cuts will be small. But for a starting point for discussion..... how about a 20 euro per head tempory tax. 20 off SW, 20 off Child allowance and 20 euro tax increase..... In place until finance of UI sorted. All feel the pain and something to work towards.

Something more convincing than what you have offered as evidence blanch - 'history'.

The EU has committed to funding the peace here on an on going basis. No reason to suspect that they will not continue to fund a UI - the ultimate peace project and NOW politically advantageous to the EU from a Single Market point of view.

So there is no evidence that the EU will fund a future UI. You can dress it up as many ways as you want but that is the case.

A real republic?

What is a real republic?

Somewhere where the majority rule but the rights, parity of esteem and welfare of minorities is important.
    Where power isn't swapped between to parties that are basically the same.

If there’s no tax increase how do we pay for UI?
    The reason I ask is people who don’t pay tax might not care if there’s a tax increase.

Somewhere where the majority rule but the rights, parity of esteem and welfare of minorities is important.
    Where power isn't swapped between to parties that are basically the same.

So let the people vote, except if they give the result that you don't want. Sounds like a real republic all right.

So there is no evidence that the EU will fund a future UI. You can dress it up as many ways as you want but that is the case.

Yes...I said that before. There is no evidence, all we have to go on is very strong historical precedents.

What have you got only dogmatic proclamations from a partitionist stance?

Yes...I said that before. There is no evidence, all we have to go on is very strong historical precedents.

What have you got only?

They are historical precedents from the 1980s when the EU was very different and have zero currency or relevance to today. I have explained that many times.

So let the people vote, except if they give the result that you don't want. Sounds like a real republic all right.

Well, take the last election here for an example...both power sawap parties more or less told the electorate they would not coalesce with the otheror that coalescing would be like re-installing John Delaney etc etc.

Look what happened when the electorate voted on that basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

no way of doing it without a huge increase in violence. it's a selfish fantasy for people that don't have to live there.

Well, take the last election here for an example...both power sawap parties more or less told the electorate they would not coalesce with the otheror that coalescing would be like re-installing John Delaney etc etc.

Look what happened when the electorate voted on that basis?

The electorate voted, and in line with all representative democracies, we got the government we voted for.

If some people want to waste their vote and vote for a party that nobody else will share power with, even under extenuating circumstances, well that's their entitlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

NI is being subsidized by ten billion pounds annually. Suggesting that gap is affordable in a UI is the same as saying the post 08 crash years were affordable here.

No. In the post years of the crash the ROI was running defcits of 10%+ of GDP. Ireland (ROI +NI) in 2019 ran a defcit of 3%. By no means this would be the same situation. It is scaremongering. Also overall debt as percentage of GDP will be initially lower in a UI compared to the ROI as NI will presumably will be handed over with little or no debt of the UK.

The electorate voted, and in line with all representative democracies, we got the government we voted for.

If some people want to waste their vote and vote for a party that nobody else will share power with, even under extenuating circumstances, well that's their entitlement.

I disagree. You must be too used to the power swap.
    They lied through their teeth to the electorate and did the deal regardless. Cynical and archaic politics. They have been forced to practically merge now, it's in it's death throes thankfully. Vote share down from a heady, unhealthy 86% to just over 40%.

Perfect timing for a UI really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's no evidence that nationalists will miss Sainsbury's, but you'd no problem throwing that nonsense out there.

The EU has committed billions to Ireland north and south since the 70s. PEACE reconciliation funding is a cornerstone of their efforts here. The EU is ostensibly a peace project, they will support a member state. We don't cease to be a member state on reunification.

Why you think there's gonna be no funding for a member state of the EU is beyond me. It's almost like a bad faith argument, some might say.

There's no evidence that nationalists will miss Sainsbury's, but you'd no problem throwing that nonsense out there.

The EU has committed billions to Ireland north and south since the 70s. PEACE reconciliation funding is a cornerstone of their efforts here. The EU is ostensibly a peace project, they will support a member state. We don't cease to be a member state on reunification.

Why you think there's gonna be no funding for a member state of the EU is beyond me. It's almost like a bad faith argument, some might say.

Unionists and partitionists know 99% of their argument goes out the window if a financial package is put together. You can tell from the dogmatic ruling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭mehico

The notion of Ireland accessing increased funds through the EU Cohesion Fund in a future UI was just an example of a fund that could be accessed in the event it was needed to address regional imbalances. This hypothetical application for funding (if required) would be credible and in accordance with the actual EU policy of this programme.

It was not being suggested that this is the EU paying for a UI.

I think it may be for you.

The question was no tax increase but cuts to services to fund UI. Would you be happy with that?

Any chance of an answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Any chance of an answer?

Do you query the minutia of every cent that leaves your vast wage packet every month?

You seem to have such a concern for the cost of everything I'm surprised that you're not out on the streets most days complaining about this, that and the other.

It's quite clear you have no idea how taxation or capital funding works.

• Advertisement

Do you query the minutia of every cent that leaves your vast wage packet every month?

You seem to have such a concern for the cost of everything I'm surprised that you're not out on the streets most days complaining about this, that and the other.

It's quite clear you have no idea how taxation or capital funding works.

Lol! Who rattled your cage!
    How do you know I have a “vast wage packet” which really is none of your concern.
    Maybe I’ll get some sort of answer from you (I doubt it tbh),but how will we pay for UI if people don’t want a tax increase which they don’t.
    Would you be in favour of service cuts to cover the cost?

Advertisement