Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The line that SF or FG aren't bigots. They are in every class, party or group. Some more than others and its not all about religion

Christ above

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Christ above

See this is what p1ss's me off about this forum. If you don't comply to your thinking your put down or dismissed. Personally I don't give a rats but if you can't take a person's point of view on an online chat God help us all when thing get serious in a referendum. Whats next..... knee capings and public feathering. Christ above is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

See this is what p1ss's me off about this forum. If you don't comply to your thinking your put down or dismissed. Personally I don't give a rats but if you can't take a person's point of view on an online chat God help us all when thing get serious in a referendum. Whats next..... knee capings and public feathering. Christ above is right.
    if you can't take a person's point of view on an online chat God help us all when thing get serious in a referendum.

then the guy looking to be taken seriously comes out with:
    Whats next..... knee capings and public feathering.

:D:D:D:D

then the guy looking to be taken seriously comes out with:

:D:D:D:D

Look I'm the voter that you need to convince. I'm not anti UI but not at any cost. The whole romantic notion of a UI doesn't wash with all. You may scoff at my totally flippant comment but what if the south says no. By 0.1%... By 20% . Will you accept the vote and let it be or be calling for new vote every 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm not anti UI but not at any cost.

I would appeal to you to consider the costs to us all should the partitionists 'win' -- it could end up being one of the most destabilising events in our history.

• Advertisement

Look I'm the voter that you need to convince. I'm not anti UI but not at any cost. The whole romantic notion of a UI doesn't wash with all. You may scoff at my totally flippant comment but what if the south says no. By 0.1%... By 20% . Will you accept the vote and let it be or be calling for new vote every 5 years

No interest in convincing you, the trajectory is upwards, it is those against who will have to do the convincing.

I was pointing out the absurdity you built into your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would appeal to you to consider the costs to us all should the partitionists 'win' -- it could end up being one of the most destabilising events in our history.

More insidious threats of violence.

They are tired and tiresome.

Can you expand on that. What costs? Destabilising how? By?

Can you expand on that. What costs? Destabilising how? By?

So partitionists 'win' a no vote after a pro-UI vote in the north. What then?

NI no longer has any legitimate status under British jurisdiction with a majority seeking a unified Irish state. What then?

Pro-UI people the length and breadth of Ireland claim that the vision for the country has been betrayed by partitionists. What then?

Pro-UI people claim to be the rightful inheritors of the state and declare a United Ireland anyway. What then?

blanch152 wrote: »
    More insidious threats of violence.

Who said anything about violence?

• Advertisement

NI no longer has any legitimate status under British jurisdiction with a majority seeking a unified Irish state. What then?

Pro-UI people the length and breadth of Ireland claim that the vision for the country has been betrayed by partitionists. What then?

Pro-UI people claim to be the rightful inheritors of the state and declare a United Ireland anyway. What then?

So the only solution to these potential outcomes is not to call a vote. Any other course only leads to anarchy as double yes votes can't be a cert at this point in time.

So the only solution to these potential outcomes is not to call a vote.

I think it would be better to let a UI vote go ahead in the north first because if it's rejected then there's no need for one in the south.

When they do vote in favour of a UI in the north I think we'll, in reality, be looking at how it happens not if because of the potential mess a no vote in the south could cause.

Other options will be explored. The NI independent membership of the EU would be on the table.

So the only solution to these potential outcomes is not to call a vote. Any other course only leads to anarchy as double yes votes can't be a cert at this point in time.

The way forward is for the British government to hold an indicative vote in the North, rather than a vote under the GFA. If, and that is a huge if, that is passed, negotiations can then take place to create a new Ireland, and both sides can then vote on it.

The NI independent membership of the EU would be on the table.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

6 wrote: »
    Is the DUPs stance on gay people based on religion or what's their story? Incredibly backward stuff. Don't they have gay members in their party?

They'll need to get their house in order quick and align with the times.
    To many dinosaurs in the party. Of course there are many younger members who take an opposite view but they are a disgrace for their stance

Dup homophonic
    SF sectarian

Just about sums it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

A rough calculation on how the political parties would look in a All Ireland lower House Legislature or / extended Dáil Éireann using recent election results & TD to population ratios. NI Assembly 90 members reduced by 30% to 63 seats which is the same representation ratio.
    223 members in total.

Potential Government party coalition.

FF 37
    FG 35
    GP 14 (2 NI)
    SDLP 8
    AP 6

SDLP is an associated party of FF, the Alliance Party is a member of the same European Parliament Liberal political grouping as FF. It's possible that they would join a similar government party coalition as presently runs Dáil Éireann, however they would be 12 short of a majority.

Opposition

SF 56
    DUP 20
    UUP 7
    Other Unionist Parties 1
    LP 6
    SD 6
    PBP 5
    RTOC 1
    Aontu 1
    Independent 19

I have often heard SF supporters claiming they would be the biggest party in an All Ireland legislature, but that's not enough to form a government as recent events proved.

Recent NI Assmebly opinion polls, I don't think there would be major changes to the totals above as compared to a 90 seat NI Assembly.

https://024943a0-ce9e-4fe5-85a2-d9f4d3bc845d.usrfiles.com/ugd/024943_4d976919c4f5444aa9275d6732954e89.pdf

Dáil Éireann next election opinion polls suggests a rise in support for SF & also FG at the expense of FF.

I can't find any polls giving forecasts with totals of TD's for the various parties. If anyone has a link please post it here. :D

There are just 18 MPs in NI and i think it is more likely after we re-write our constitution which will be necessary for a UI that our TD ratio will fall more in line with the rest of Europe, maybe 30 TDs in the North and 90 in South.
    We have a crazy amount of TDs and Ministers.I am looking forward to it as we see big political reform which is long overdue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Other options will be explored. The NI independent membership of the EU would be on the table.

No it won't

downcow wrote: »
    To many dinosaurs in the party. Of course there are many younger members who take an opposite view but they are a disgrace for their stance

Dup homophonic
    SF sectarian

Just about sums it up

Name one SF policy that is 'sectarian'?

The way forward is for the British government to hold an indicative vote in the North, rather than a vote under the GFA. If, and that is a huge if, that is passed, negotiations can then take place to create a new Ireland, and both sides can then vote on it.

From constructing veto's for Unionists to the wriggling you are having to do trying to get out of the GFA. :) Funny stuff TBH.

• Advertisement

At least he is talking about next decade. 19 years to plan. Should go some ways to getting sides aligned

At least he is talking about next decade. 19 years to plan. Should go some ways to getting sides aligned

:)

My own stated position would be in the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Name one SF policy that is 'sectarian'?

They don’t need policies to ensure they are sectarian, it comes naturally to them.

downcow wrote: »
    They don’t need policies to ensure they are sectarian, it comes naturally to them.

So that would be an admission hat they don't have a single sectarian policy.

Once again the poster who claims to be anti DUP has tremendous difficulty calling the DUP out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Have you read his paper yet? A few things you won't like. Thinks we should reconsider our neutrality and also join the Commonwealth.

He doesn't seem too confident that a border poll would be successful.

"It is easy to speak of a United Ireland in terms of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ as it is something that so many of us feel very strongly about. The fact of the matter
    is, however, that it is far from given that there would be a majority for the idea, on either side of the border."

jh79 wrote: »
    Have you read his paper yet? A few things you won't like. Thinks we should reconsider our neutrality and also join the Commonwealth.

He doesn't seem too confident that a border poll would be successful.

"It is easy to speak of a United Ireland in terms of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ as it is something that so many of us feel very strongly about. The fact of the matter
    is, however, that it is far from given that there would be a majority for the idea, on either side of the border."

Neale's vote is the same as mine.

Our neutrality is a farce. We should either back our neutrality like the Swiss or join some sort of pact, preferably European rather than US led.

Our neutrality is a farce. We should either back our neutrality like the Swiss or join some sort of pact, preferably European rather than US led.

Yeh, the guy parroting about the importance of neutrality will be out commemorating the deaths of several hundred thousand of our countrymen and women in 2 World Wars. Or defending the US's use of Shannon Airport.

'Farce' is the correct word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What is this absolute nonsense?

Advertisement