Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

RTE news : NI would vote to remain in UK if poll held - survey

http://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0420/1211107-spotlight-ulster-poll/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That partitionism doesn't wash. We abandoned people before, we cannot, and I don't think we will.

Which "we" are you talking about? I didn't abandon anyone and neither did my parents or in fact even my dead grandparents at this stage.

Ive no guilt or need to repair a situation i had zero involvement in and that would likely make my life and my children's life far more difficult if I were to vote yes in a border poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,708 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

RTE news : NI would vote to remain in UK if poll held - survey

http://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0420/1211107-spotlight-ulster-poll/

Majority think there'll be a UI in 25 years. Probably agree there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,743 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

VinLieger wrote: »
    Which "we" are you talking about? I didn't abandon anyone and neither did my parents or in fact even my dead grandparents at this stage.

Ive no guilt or need to repair a situation i had zero involvement in and that would likely make my life and my children's life far more difficult if I were to vote yes in a border poll.

You are one of 21%, I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Young people are more radical and become more conservative and supportive of status quo as they get older. We see this time and again in ni. Eg more young people voted against gfa as voted for. I am sure if same people were polled today they have moderated.

• Advertisement

Increased majority for staying in UK.

Everyone also has to be careful with these figures as poll was in the midst of the recent street violence.

6 wrote: »
    Majority think there'll be a UI in 25 years. Probably agree there alright.

There seems to be trend every twenty years or so when polls show there'll be a United Ireland in about twenty years, and there'll probably be another poll in twenty years time suggesting the same :)

Maybe it will happen?

downcow wrote: »
    Increased majority for staying in UK.

The scary thing for the proponents of the status quo (should be the scary thing) is that it cannot muster over 50% of the vote.
    Add to that there is only a 6% gap to the option that has no plan presented yet.

You are one of 21%, I think it was.

No real answer then?

• Advertisement

The scary thing for the proponents of the status quo (should be the scary thing) is that it cannot muster over 50% of the vote.
    Add to that there is only a 6% gap to the option that has no plan presented yet.

And the scary thing for you is that when the difficult questions are asked like taxes, NHS etc the numbers in favour of a UI drop massively on both sides of the border.

Its no surprise you like these abstract polls that make things that are in reality impossibly complex out to be very simple.

VinLieger wrote: »
    No real answer then?

Answer to what?

You are one of the 25%. Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Young people are more radical and become more conservative and supportive of status quo as they get older. We see this time and again in ni. Eg more young people voted against gfa as voted for. I am sure if same people were polled today they have moderated.

What's your source for the age groups for the GFA?

I'm not sure how much weight the ageing=more conservative argument holds in this situation. I'm sure people will still become more fiscally conservative, but I don't think the beliefs and attitudes of young people who are put off by regressive politics and culture will change too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Interesting to see the drop in support from previous polls (70% to 51%) in the Republic. Richmond was right, far from certain to pass in either country.

Next big test will be when the financial cost of unification becomes part of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

jh79 wrote: »
    Interesting to see the drop in support from previous polls (70% to 51%) in the Republic.
    Everyone also has to be careful with these figures as poll was in the midst of the recent street violence.

Interesting to see the drop in support from previous polls (70% to 51%) in the Republic. Richmond was right, far from certain to pass in either country.

Next big test will be when the financial cost of unification becomes part of the discussion.

The status quo is in trouble here, that is all you can really say, less than 50% and a strong realism that constitutional change will happen within the next 25 years.

Without a plan, a UI is performing very well, especially in NI.

Bring on the plan and let's see the figures.

Good to put everything into perspective in the wake of Mary Lou standing behind her "England out of Ireland" banner in New York a couple of years ago. And what about all the adverts Sinn Fein recently took out in the States demanding a United Ireland now!

The reality seem somewhat different.
    Maybe in 25 years?

Good to put everything into perspective in the wake of Mary Lou standing behind her "England out of Ireland" banner in New York a couple of years ago. And what about all the adverts Sinn Fein recently took out in the States demanding a United Ireland now!

The reality seem somewhat different.
    Maybe in 25 years?

Firstly...the ads DID NOT call for a UI Now...they called for a poll as per the GFA.

I think that is the next phase tbh. There has to be planning for this by the Irish government.
    All those decrying Brexit style decisions are gonna have their bluff called.

There are consistent polling figures now showing what way the trend is going, it is dangerous and wrong not to produce the data and plan and have the discussion that people need to make informed decisions.

43% in the north want a UI even though there is no plan. That in itself is amazing IMO.

Without a plan, a UI is performing very well, especially in NI.

Bring on the plan and let's see the figures.

Wouldn't say it's performing well in the Republic with a significant downward trend before the major issue of the cost has been discussed.

Must check if that University group have a date yet for the paper on the financial costs.

Wouldn't say it's performing well in the Republic with a significant downward trend before the major issue of the cost has been discussed.

Must check if that University group have a date yet for the paper on the financial costs.

It's 'performing' over 20 points ahead of a No vote jh79...without a plan presented. That's a big hill to climb given any plan from an Irish government will be in favour of unification.

• Advertisement

It's 'performing' over 20 points ahead of a No vote jh79...without a plan presented. That's a big hill to climb given any plan from an Irish government will be in favour of unification.

Still on a downward trend with a 20% loss as the prospect became more realistic.

As I said it'll be interesting to see the numbers once the scale of the cost is out in public. People are already getting cold feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Still on a downward trend with a 20% loss as the prospect became more realistic.

As I said it'll be interesting to see the numbers once the scale of the cost is out in public. People are already getting cold feet.

You've nothing to be worried about then surely?

One poll doesn't a 'trend' make jh79

Here is the trend.

20210417_BRC529.png

You've nothing to be worried about then surely?

Probably not, I don't think it will happen without financial help and if that help is found then I won't be bothered if it does happen.

One poll doesn't a 'trend' make jh79

Here is the trend.

20210417_BRC529.png

Isn't that graphic for NI only?

It could be very close for a long time in NI without ever being likely to pass.

In the Republic we have some evidence that the financial cost will have a big impact on voting patterns. It has already dropped to 51% before talks on levels of tax increase etc have started.

The financial aspect will impact votes in NI too. Is the cost going to be split evenly, will NI have to tighten its belt or will the Republic bare the brunt of it.

Isn't that graphic for NI only?

It could be very close for a long time in NI without ever being likely to pass.

In the Republic we have some evidence that the financial cost will have a big impact on voting patterns. It has already dropped to 51% before talks on levels of tax increase etc have started.

The financial aspect will impact votes in NI too. Is the cost going to be split evenly, will NI have to tighten its belt or will the Republic bare the brunt of it.

Big claims on the basis of one poll is the problem jh79. The trend is the important thing.
    And the trend is that a UI is more likely than not. Hence so many thinking it will happen inside 25 years.

It is pure arrogance to assume that people are ignoring/are not aware of possible costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Probably not, I don't think it will happen without financial help and if that help is found then I won't be bothered if it does happen.

Aren't you a selfish delight.

Big claims on the basis of one poll is the problem jh79. The trend is the important thing.
    And the trend is that a UI is more likely than not. Hence so many thinking it will happen inside 25 years.

It is pure arrogance to assume that people are ignoring/are not aware of possible costs.

I was talking about the Republic and currently the trend is downwards. When we start talking about 20/30 bn in cuts and tax increases the numbers will decrease further.

In the case of NI haven't the numbers in favour of a UI decreased since the last poll?

Will need a few more polls to see if it is stagnating.

I was talking about the Republic and currently the trend is downwards. When we start talking about 20/30 bn in cuts and tax increases the numbers will decrease further.

In the case of NI haven't the numbers in favour of a UI decreased since the last poll?

Will need a few more polls to see if it is stagnating.

One poll doesn't make a 'trend' jh79.

• Advertisement

One poll doesn't make a 'trend' jh79.

To be fair i just assumed previous polls were higher but looking at wiki our support for a UI has been flaky for the last decade, very up and down.

Big drop since the last poll anyways and at 51% prior to a discussion on tax increases, welfare cuts etc not a good starting point.

Advertisement