Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    The big bad brits

If that's all you can take from that post, work away Downcow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    While I agree with your sentiment, I suspect that the identity issue was more of an issue for Arlene and Co. Also Boris' need to try and sell the Brexit project was more responsible for a lack of working together throughout than any issues on the Irish side (where much of our government would've taken great pleasure in shoving it up SF).

Boris actually got his Brexit project sold due to unionist incompetence and foolhardy belief. They got shafted as a result of pure gullibility and failure to learn from history.
    Here, we had a seismic shift in Irish politics, an aligning of all Irish people on the islands interests, with almost zero difference between political ideologies about what was wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭eire4

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The Tories will blame every economic fallout on Covid. Which many people will swallow but that won't last when they contrast their economy with the far more successful EU.

No doubt they will continue to use the pandemic as a cover but as you say that won't last forever. Hopefully by the end of this year we will be coming out of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

According to the recent LucidTalk polling 95% of Nationalist/Republican voters, 82% of Alliance/Green/Others voters, and 11% of Unionist voters want MLA's to vote to stay in the EU single market in 3 years time.This is what all the trouble is really about, the loss of Unionist majority and control.

As regards a United Ireland, being integrated into the EU single market will help tightly weave the north/south economy into the tapestry of Irish life until the idea of disentangling it will fall even further outside the Overton Window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

We have the crazy situation today that two soldiers are being tried for killing an ira man who the ira said killed 15 soldiers. You couldn’t make it up.
    And it’s all being done to feed the nationalist crocodiles.
    We need to wise up in this country.
    Of course it is all for the optics. They won’t be convicted - same as Bloody Sunday soldiers and Gerry Adams following his arrest whether the murders or the peadophile protection

• Advertisement

We have the crazy situation today that two soldiers are being tried for killing an ira man who the ira said killed 15 soldiers. You couldn’t make it up.
    Of course it is all for the optics. They won’t be convicted - same as Bloody Sunday soldiers and Gerry Adams following his arrest whether the murders or the peadophile protection

Republicans have served many multiples of time more than any other group downcow.
    There is no equivalence at all. You may stop that line of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

They both shot an unarmed man in the back. If you want to compare the BA to the IRA you might have a fair argument.

If they won't be convicted, and I think you're right, it won't be Nationalists (or anyone who holds the BA in any regard) getting fed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/centenaries/centenarypoll/majority-favour-a-united-ireland-but-just-22pc-would-pay-for-it-40375875.html

Two thirds in the republic in favour of a UI but only 22% willing to pay extra tax to fund it.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/centenaries/centenarypoll/majority-favour-a-united-ireland-but-just-22pc-would-pay-for-it-40375875.html

Two thirds in the republic in favour of a UI but only 22% willing to pay extra tax to fund it.

66% in the south and 44% in the north want to see a Border poll with only 39% against it in the north.

I think we are rushing headlong towards that poll and a concrete proposal on a UI.

Amazing numbers when there is no proposal or plan.

66% in the south and 44% in the north want to see a Border poll with only 39% against it in the north.

I think we are rushing headlong towards that poll and a concrete proposal on a UI.

But 78% don't want to pay for it in the south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Lol

But 78% don't want to pay for it in the south

...don't want to pay more tax.

Nobody wants to pay 'more tax'. Do people want to invest in the future if there are benefits?....different answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

...don't want to pay more tax.

Nobody wants to pay 'more tax'. Do people want to invest in the future if there are benefits?....different answer.

It's a big "if" and a bit of word play isn't gonna trick anybody.

Look at the hated USC, you really think a 5% "unification charge" would get a different response to a 5% tax increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,709 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How much will it cost people in the pocket. Different poll if we find that out.

People want a UI but not at any cost.

Still no cost proposal from any of these spoofer parties, both North and South. FFG and SF, show us some numbers.

6 wrote: »
    How much will it cost people in the pocket. Different poll if we find that out.

People want a UI but not at any cost.

Still no cost proposal from any of these spoofer parties, both North and South. FFG and SF, show us some numbers.

One prediction is a 20 /30bn adjustment based on what we did in the recession when our GDP per capita dropped to the levels we would see in a UI.

jh79 wrote: »
    It's a big "if" and a bit of word play isn't gonna trick anybody.

Look at the hated USC, you really think a 5% "unification charge" would get a different response to a 5% tax increase?

USC is disliked because it is not and never was clear what we were getting for it as a benefit and the suspicion it was a tax to pay for the mistakes made by banking and financial sectors.

We have paid taxes in this state for the benefit of the state since independence. Massive infrastructural investment. We paid them because we know it was future investment in ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

That's what it boils down to. Who's gonna pay > 40 per cent tax to fund NI. Dubs? You must be joking.

And NI folks won't want to leave their NHS or their public sector jobs for uncertainty.

Personally I'd be alright paying more tax to achieve unification cos I'm single and in the high income tax bracket, so I reckon I could manage.

But I don't think most people could afford to.

USC is disliked because it is not and never was clear what we were getting for it as a benefit and the suspicion it was a tax to pay for the mistakes made by banking and financial sectors.

We have paid taxes in this state for the benefit of the state since independence. Massive infrastructural investment. We paid them because we know it was future investment in ourselves.

Problem is it's not an investment for the 26 counties it's to fix NI. We won't gain from it. If we are lucky we might get back to where we are now financially.

Problem is it's not an investment for the 26 counties it's to fix NI. We won't gain from it. If we are lucky we might get back to where we are now financially.

If the 'proposal' includes a transition period (essential in my view) to fix the headline problems in the NI economy to prepare it for unification and a similar preparation here then that too could negate a lot of concerns.
    Also, I don't think anyone will be proposing that NI is just subsumed into an unchanged country here.
    A proposal that includes root and branch/start again reform in both jurisdictions would be welcomed by many.

If the 'proposal' includes a transition period (essential in my view) to fix the headline problems in the NI economy to prepare it for unification and a similar preparation here then that too could negate a lot of concerns.
    Also, I don't think anyone will be proposing that NI is just subsumed into an unchanged country here.
    A proposal that includes root and branch/start again reform in both jurisdictions would be welcomed by many.

It would need to be a long transition period. The NI economy is a mess.

• Advertisement

It would need to be a long transition period. The NI economy is a mess.

We were a mess in 2008 and I could be sure there are those here who constantly claim that the industrious folk in FF and FG have totally turned that around to make us one of the best places to live in the world.

No bother to us to turn it around again. 10/15 years of no recruitment/rationalisation/redeployment of any public service would make a huge difference for instance.

We were a mess in 2008 and I could be sure there are those here who constantly claim that the industrious folk in FF and FG have totally turned that around to make us one of the best places to live in the world.

No bother to us to turn it around again. 10/15 years of no recruitment/rationalisation/redeployment of any public service would make a huge difference for instance.

It can be done but the will isn't there.

Unification would be like going back to the recession era alright.

It can be done but the will isn't there.

Unification would be like going back to the recession era alright.

The Scots thought so too, UNTIL a proposal was made.

Again, these figures have to be taken in context of no proposal being on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I find it hilarious that people think voting no (in the south) means everything would stay as it is, no hope. After a pro-UI vote in the north it'll be happening one way or another.

Some want a UI at any cost. Their foot in an Orangeman's face and Gerry Adams the successor to Brian Boru. Our kids have to live on this island so any decision i make will be with the head rather than the heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What percentage of us were willing to pay to bail out bondholders?

what percentage of us were willing to euthanize our economy while keeping our airports open and issuing the same amount of work visa as 2019?

We have a long history of paying for things we didnt want to pay for

fair point

but i dont think its proponents would thank you for listing a UI with recessions, pandemics and economic harakiri :D

Should it not be a joyous occasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Some want a UI at any cost. Their foot in an Orangeman's face and Gerry Adams the successor to Brian Boru. Our kids have to live on this island so any decision i make will be with the head rather than the heart.

100% agree, my vote (whichever way) will be made with the head and not the heart.
    Already my kids have a harder future than I had at their age. I don't want to make it any more difficult for them.

Saying that, it would be nice to have a peaceful, unified Ireland. It's a nice idea and one to aim for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I would say they are a miniscule minority, even if occasionally loud. Any reasonable person would understand that a potential UI, would require a lot of effort in making the former unionist community into proper stakeholders, with proportional democratic power obviously and freedom to express their culture. They will have an influence on things in a UI and we have to accept that. It's the only way it works. I'm fine with that, we have to accept that ireland is multicultural now, we can integrate unionists too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Vote for a UI and every town in Ulster will get a free direct provision.

Advertisement