Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,754 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sorry, but there is always a context to democratic decisions, that doesn't reduce their legitimacy.

How often would they have the threat of war hanging over them from a serial international bully?

Next thing you'll be telling us that the Japanese surrender was the result of thoughtful and considered democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Carson was a Dub.

That his views may have changed or somebody sought to airbrush him doesn't change what he and others did earlier and its consequences.

Well done on leaping to the defence of somebody you know nothing about by your own admission.

I am struggling to see how a quote from the internet is “leaping to someone defence”. I provided the links I found and the quotes I found, not sure what issue you have with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How often would they have the threat of war hanging over them from a serial international bully?

Next thing you'll be telling us that the Japanese surrender was the result of thoughtful and considered democracy.

Given that Japan wasn't a democracy, the answer is no.

Given that Japan wasn't a democracy, the answer is no.

Exactly. Neither could we be under threat of immediate and terrible war from a serial bully.

sebdavis wrote: »
    I am struggling to see how a quote from the internet is “leaping to someone defence”. I provided the links I found and the quotes I found, not sure what issue you have with that?

Well I am struggling why you doubted the 'Carson' I was talking about and went looking for a quote and found one from the end of his life that had nothing to do with how he conducted his career and was in fact him coming to terms with what is again happening to modern day Unionists...his betrayal by perfidious Albion.

What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power

• Advertisement

Exactly. Neither could we be under threat of immediate and terrible war from a serial bully.

Ah here, you're having a laugh.

Ireland made a democratic decision to accept partition and to be fair to us, we lived up to that democratic decision over the next 100 years. Sure, a small minority of thugs acted otherwise during that time, but we did the right thing as a country.

Ireland made a democratic decision to accept partition and to be fair to us, we lived up to that democratic decision over the next 100 years. Sure, a small minority of thugs acted otherwise during that time, but we did the right thing as a country.

In democracies you have a choice. We were bullied and a weak Dáil, (soon to be bullied by the church too as we all know to our tragic cost) succumbed to the threat and settled to swap the power between them for most of the next 100 years always subservient to that church. And then they ignored and stood by as the part they abandoned to Unionist sectarian bigots went up in tragic flames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Well I am struggling why you doubted the 'Carson' I was talking about and went looking for a quote and found one from the end of his life that had nothing to do with how he conducted his career and was in fact him coming to terms with what is again happening to modern day Unionists...his betrayal by perfidious Albion.

What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power

You posted "Carson and Craig", I have no idea who they are so put in "Carson and Craig" into google. First link is Edward Carson. Click on that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Carson
    Then search "partition"
    What do you find?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

You are abusing the term 'democratic'.

In democracies you have a choice. We were bullied and a weak Dáil, (soon to be bullied by the church too as we all know to our tragic cost) succumbed to the threat and settled to swap the power between them for most of the next 100 years always subservient to that church. And then they ignored and stood by as the part they abandoned to Unionist sectarian bigots went up in tragic flames.

The people we elected made the decision we elected them to make. Ironically, the Church takeover only happened when those that didn't like the original decision got into power.

• Advertisement

The people we elected made the decision we elected them to make. Ironically, the Church takeover only happened when those that didn't like the original decision got into power.

Under the threat of immediate and terrible war.

You are trying to say it was a normal democratic decision and a normal choice. Hideous position to take as is the handwashing in the second part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭mehico

The first meeting of the SDLP's New Ireland Commission is taking place today. Some interesting names on the panel and they will be exploring a lot of the issues being discussed on this thread.

Under the threat of immediate and terrible war.

You are trying to say it was a normal democratic decision and a normal choice. Hideous position to take as is the handwashing in the second part.

You are rejecting democracy because you don't like the outcome. Will we hear the same about a border poll if one ever happens and is inevitably soundly defeated? Oh, the people were under threat, na, na, na.

You are rejecting democracy because you don't like the outcome. Will we hear the same about a border poll if one ever happens and is inevitably soundly defeated? Oh, the people were under threat, na, na, na.

:):) I think those blathering about 'super majorities and independent NI's' are those with a problem with any outcome of a border poll.

I'll live with the outcome of a Border Poll as I actually read the GFA before I voted for it. And more to the point, I have observed what I agreed to since as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How long between border polls?

I'm presuming there'll be at least two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

:):) I think those blathering about 'super majorities

Retrospective super-majorities no less, and if we're going retrospective then I think the division of the country should be looked at because (despite the British gun to our heads) it was only a slight majority in favour of partition.

See where that line of thinking takes us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How long between border polls?

I'm presuming there'll be at least two.

A minimum of seven years.

We've been over this. Repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

We did not make a democratic decision. If every inhabitant of Ireland had a vote in 1921 on Independence it would have gone independent as you well know.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    We did not make a democratic decision. If every inhabitant of Ireland had a vote in 1921 on Independence it would have gone independent as you well know.

Can we count 1918 as a proxy referendum?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/centenaries/centenarypoll/majority-favour-a-united-ireland-but-just-22pc-would-pay-for-it-40375875.html

I have been reading this report and am a little confused. Much has been made of the 72% who want a border poll within five years. Yet there is much contradictory evidence. When asked do you want a border poll i.e. "Would you like to see a vote on removing the border between north and south?", only 44% say yes.

The follow-up question is "When would you like to see such a vote happen?". Was this asked of all those polled, or only those who indicated "yes" in the previous question? It certainly looks like it was only those who answered "yes" as another strange aspect is that there is no "never" category to that question.

If I am correct, it is only 72% of 44%, i.e. 32% in Northern Ireland who want a border poll within five years.

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/centenaries/centenarypoll/majority-favour-a-united-ireland-but-just-22pc-would-pay-for-it-40375875.html

I have been reading this report and am a little confused. Much has been made of the 72% who want a border poll within five years. Yet there is much contradictory evidence. When asked do you want a border poll i.e. "Would you like to see a vote on removing the border between north and south?", only 44% say yes.

The follow-up question is "When would you like to see such a vote happen?". Was this asked of all those polled, or only those who indicated "yes" in the previous question? It certainly looks like it was only those who answered "yes" as another strange aspect is that there is no "never" category to that question.

If I am correct, it is only 72% of 44%, i.e. 32% in Northern Ireland who want a border poll within five years.

You should probably ask those questions of those running the poll.

You should probably ask those questions of those running the poll.

It seems pretty clear to me, it is just the reporting of the poll that is wrong.

It seems pretty clear to me, it is just the reporting of the poll that is wrong.

You sure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

How could there have been a fair election in this country when the greatest power in the world threatens "immediate and terrible war" if we vote the wrong way.

We didn't "accept" anything it was in the Irish constitution at the end of the Irish free state in 1937 the claim to the ownership of all of Ireland the vote to "accept partition" was a vote saying no to "immediate and terrible war".

Bh

Why exactly is the poll wrong?

The poll only asked 1,500 people in the Republic and 750 people in the North.

Another poll by Joe.ie asking 5,000 people showed 95% of people in favour of a United Ireland, I would even regard the poll by Joe to be more accurate than that one.

Also the poll was scraped out of somewhere by the Independent.ie the most anti republican newspaper in the Republic of Ireland, they likely only bothered reporting on that poll because they felt it furthered their own political agenda.

Marco23d wrote: »
    The poll only asked 1,500 people in the Republic and 750 people in the North and it was also conducted online.

Another poll by Joe.ie asking 5,000 people showed 95% of people in favour of a United Ireland, I would even regard the poll by Joe to be more accurate than that one.

Also the poll was scraped out of somewhere by the Independent.ie the most anti republican newspaper in the Republic of Ireland, they likely only bothered reporting on that poll because they felt it furthered their own political agenda.

This must be the funniest post in years on boards.ie. I can only assume you are having a laugh, as the alternative is that you don't have a clue about polling.

---
    This must be the funniest post in years on boards.ie. I can only assume you are having a laugh, as the alternative is that you don't have a clue about polling.

No more than you did I guess?

Tbh Blanch, the most ridiculous post on boards is still your assertion that people will vote against a UI to maintain access to Sainsbury's.

Well why doesn't blanch the polling expert of boards elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Marco23d wrote: »
    Well why doesn't blanch the polling expert of boards elaborate?

I'm not having a go but there is a science to polling. It doesn't consist of whacking a few responses into an excel sheet and creating a pie chart

The Irish Independent poll was carried out by Kantar, who similar to Red C etc are a professional polling company. They have a professional reputation to uphold. There are methods to polling, including ensuring the population is randomly sampled. Believe it or not, if you truly randomly sample a population i.e. your sample is normally distributed across age/socio economic/regional cohorts etc, 1000 responses can be more than enough to get an accurate reflection of the overall population, within a margin of error (which is usually published along with the study). This can all be proven statistically, which is what these polling companies are paid to do to ensure the results are accurate without having to ask 3 million people their opinion.

Not sure about the Joe.ie poll but it was probably just a click of a button on their website. This means the results reflect their website visitors and whoever shared it the most - completely open to abuse and in no way a statistically accurate reflection of anything.

Advertisement