Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The majority want a UI jh.

Constitutionally, all is well.

Where do we get the "majority in the south want it" - I assume some poll?

I know everyone tends to mix with people of similar minds but in family and friends i find its 2 to 1 on those who dont care in favour of caring (majority really don't give an F). And 50:50 on the yes and no front (some of the don't cares would vote yes due to the old rhetoric, then again most haven't bothered to check impact).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Where do we get the "majority in the south want it" - I assume some poll?

I know everyone tends to mix with people of similar minds but in family and friends i find its 2 to 1 on those who dont care in favour of caring (majority really don't give an F). And 50:50 on the yes and no front (some of the don't cares would vote yes due to the old rhetoric, then again most haven't bothered to check impact).

The last poll showed 67% in favour in the south. And strong majorities in both jurisdictions want a border poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,246 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The last poll showed 67% in favour in the south. And strong majorities in both jurisdictions want a border poll.

35% in Northern Ireland want a united Ireland.

22% in Ireland want a united Ireland if it means more taxes.

Pretty clear evidence of the way people are thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Poots the new DUP leader....if we had've got him with Gregory Campbell as deputy, we could've had unification by Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Poots the new DUP leader....if we had've got him with Gregory Campbell as deputy, we could've had unification by Monday!
    Sniggery Campbell makes it the dream team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

jh79 wrote: »
    No, it would just mean the status quo is preferred and it stays that way ie a 26 counties Republic until a better plan comes along.

I can assure there will not be a return to the status quo in the south after a pro-UI vote in the north.

Not a hope in hell.

I can assure there will not be a return to the status quo in the south after a pro-UI vote in the north.

Not a hope in hell.

I'm not sure the south will want the north when the facts are made clear.
    In that case the status quo will be just fine.

But in all seriousness what's the thoughts on Poots in charge and its impact. Do the northy's on here think he will help boost alliance and the Middle?

All I know of him are his creationism and mad gay conversion rubbish.

I'm not sure the south will want the north when the facts are made clear.

Well then 'the south' will need to stop using the current flag, current anthem, eschew the 1916 proclamation, reject the legacy of the patriot dead, create an alliance with Unionists in the north who just lost a UI vote, and ultimately create a new state because this one will not be fit for purpose.

Let's see how many people get behind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭eire4

Well then 'the south' will need to stop using the current flag, current anthem, eschew the 1916 proclamation, reject the legacy of the patriot dead, and create a new state because this one will not be fit for purpose.

I'll take Irish reunification instead thanks:)

Well then 'the south' will need to stop using the current flag, current anthem, eschew the 1916 proclamation, reject the legacy of the patriot dead, create an alliance with Unionists in the north who just lost a UI vote, and ultimately create a new state because this one will not be fit for purpose.

Or like a logical group, we just continue on as we are.

We have a nice state here. No need to upset that.

• Advertisement

Or like a logical group, we just continue on as we are.

We have a nice state here. No need to upset that.

Is that gonna be your pitch?....'we're alright, fook you?

we just continue on as we are.

Forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Not a hope in hell.

What do you think would happen?

Is that gonna be your pitch?....'we're alright, fook you?

No just reply to Junkyards daft assumption that in the case of a no we'd have to change anything.

If we end up with a UI after a majority decision I won't be too fussed.

Just personally feel while the heart says yes the head is saying no. But that's from my perspective so others are happy to disagree.

I just feel we are entering a time where people will follow their heads over the hearts. Mind you I have mentioned that's from my limited view of the world, could be way off the general mood of the nation.

Forget that.

You'd need to provide a bit of basis for these claims you have.

Then we can have a discussion. I know the North is against intelligent debate and more inclined to mad rants and demands.

That would need to change before a UI

You'd need to provide a bit of basis for these claims you have.

They're predictions, as Fintan O'Toole said 'the nightmare scenario'. The current state is transitory with a United Ireland as its destination. If you lot want permanent partition then it is you that will need to come up with a vision for it with new symbols, new flag, new artefacts, and a rejection of the past.

Those of us who want to see through the vision of our country will happily inherit the symbols, flags, artefacts, and legacy of those who envisioned a United Ireland for our people.

They're predictions, as Fintan O'Toole said 'the nightmare scenario'. The current state is transitory with a United Ireland as its destination. If you lot want permanent partition then it is you that will need to come up with a vision for it with new symbols, new flag, new artefacts, and a rejection of the past.

Those of us who want to see through the vision of our country will happily inherit the symbols, flags, artefacts, and legacy of those who envisioned a United Ireland for our people.

Don't believe in self determination? Ireland is whatever the majority want it to be.

A lovely romantic notion there. A good example of the heart saying yes.

But if the people say no, nothing changes and that's just a bit of reality. Would they even bother kicking it further down the line.

Don't believe in self determination? Ireland is whatever the majority want to be.

I believe in seeing through the vision for our country as set out by the 1916 rebels, as symbolised by the flag, as laid down in our constitution, that which thousands of our men and women lived and died for, as is in the DNA of this place.

If you want a permanently partitioned country then work towards that goal because the current setup, and everything that goes with it, is not yours to appropriate.

I believe in seeing through the vision for our country as set out by the 1916 rebels, as symbolised by the flag, as laid down in our constitution, as is in the DNA of this place.

If you want a permanently partitioned country then work towards that goal because the current setup, and everything that goes with it, is not yours to appropriate.

But Irish unionists (North South Union) are the ones who need to work.

The Irish Republicans (supporters of our current Republic) need do nothing really.

• Advertisement

I believe in seeing through the vision for our country as set out by the 1916 rebels, as symbolised by the flag, as laid down in our constitution, that which thousands of our men and women lived and died for, as is in the DNA of this place.

To steal a phrase from Francie, I'm a democrat. If the majority prefer partition then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The current state is transitory with a United Ireland as its destination. If you lot want permanent partition then it is you that will need to come up with a vision for it with new symbols, new flag, new artefacts, and a rejection of the past.

But they're not you're people Tom, that's the point, they're Unionists whom whish to remain aligned, connected & part of the United Kingdom.
    I would agree to a United Ireland on a clean slate, with new symbolism of unity and inclusiveness for Nationalist, Unionist, Loyalist & Republican, so the Tricolour is lowered for the last time, the anthem is put out to grass too (the price we pay), as we would get together with our Nordie cousins and thrash out a new nation with new symbolism.

You can't force the Unionist Nordies into the current Republic, you just can't, they don't like it up 'em, unless you want Loyalist unrest & The Troubles in reverse.

I would agree to a United Ireland on a clean slate, with new symbolism of unity and inclusiveness for Nationalist, Unionist, Loyalist & Republican

I am open to those changes but it will be by agreement, former Unionists will not be having demands met.
    To steal a phrase from Francie, I'm a democrat. If the majority prefer partition then so be it.

You are like a Brexiter ultra, you believe that if you get your way everything will stay as is. On the national question I assure you you won't.

I am open to those changes but it will be by agreement, former Unionists will not be having demands met.

You are like a Brexiter ultra, you believe that if you get your way everything will stay as is. On the national question I assure you you won't.

Again, what would change and why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Barry904

blanch152 wrote: »
    35% in Northern Ireland want a united Ireland.

22% in Ireland want a united Ireland if it means more taxes.

Pretty clear evidence of the way people are thinking.

According to a single poll, another poll published by the times showed 45% and the numbers polled were far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

45% in Northern Ireland?

Barry904 wrote: »
    According to a single poll, another poll published by the times showed 45% and the numbers polled were far higher.

Still a minority and it's been sliding downward ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, it is not superseded somewhere else.

Many "republicans" fear a referendum because all of the issues of the cost, the terrorism, the lack of integration in the North will come to the fore.

The Alliance approach of first solving the differences in the North through integration offers the best realistic peaceful outcome to Northern Ireland. The "republicans" think peace comes by getting what they want, whether or not others agree.

Wait? Can you point out where you've seen "'republicans' fear [of] a referendum"?

Is there a chance you've just made that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So you've nothing to be worrying about then.

• Advertisement

67% in the south is not a 'minority' by a long shot.

35% in favour of it in the north without a plan or a proposal is extraordinary numbers.

Advertisement