Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

We don't know. We can't possibly know, but we can use our brains to figure out that things WILL change. It's a bit obvious that in the event of a NI: YES and ROI: NO that things will get, messy.

The ROI couldn't possibly continue as is. How are you guys so politically naive?

Please enlighten me.

What examples of things changing are there for the RoI?

To make an informed choice I'd love to know. I just don't see that many beyond romantic notions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Please enlighten me.

What examples of things changing are there for the RoI?

To make an informed choice I'd love to know. I just don't see that many beyond romantic notions.

I'm not here to convince you.

If you can't see how things in this State will change, then there's no hope for ya.

I'm not here to convince you.

If you can't see how things in this State will change, then there's no hope for ya.

Jaysus I must be a lost cause haha.

UI to me means:
    - Huge change in political landscape, SF would become the biggest party by far, DUP would be in the Dail with their backward views.
    - Increases in taxation in combination with stretching current finances to support NI.
    - Changes to anthm and Flag.

That's just a few things.

Saying no to a UI:
    - Nothing really changes realistically.
    - Old romantic notions die.

Not once has a UI supporter here given any concrete change that would happen in the RoI.

NI is a different story but a No vote means they are also a different country.

Jaysus I must be a lost cause haha.

UI to me means:
    - Huge change in political landscape, SF would become the biggest party by far, DUP would be in the Dail with their backward views.
    - Increases in taxation in combination with stretching current finances to support NI.
    - Changes to anthm and Flag.

That's just a few things.

Saying no to a UI:
    - Nothing really changes realistically.
    - Old romantic notions die.

Not once has a UI supporter here given any concrete change that would happen in the RoI.

NI is a different story but a No vote means they are also a different country.

Again, if you can't see how the scenario I laid out above changes the dynamic of this State going forward there really is no hope for you.

I'm not sure how you can demand concrete answers about a hypothetical yet possible scenario.

Did ye all do the first week of Hist Pol in UCD and just go with it?

I'm not sure how you can demand concrete answers about a hypothetical yet possible scenario.

So your just making stuff up?

Fair enough, so in a vote I have the choice between factual changes that may impact negatively on my life or something you want say.

Reading back you make lots of non specific statements.

I mean we will still be RoI, still have our governance as is (no dup or NI influence on the vote), still be in the EU, still be paying the same tax, still be in the same jobs, still have the same anthem and flag... So on and so on.

Seems like voting No would maintain the nation I love. Guess you've convinced me to stay towards the no side.

• Advertisement

So your just making stuff up?

Fair enough, so in a vote I have the choice between factual changes that may impact negatively on my life or something you want say.

Reading back you make lots of non specific statements.

I mean we will still be RoI, still have our governance as is (no dup or NI influence on the vote), still be in the EU, still be paying the same tax, still be in the same jobs, still have the same anthem and flag... So on and so on.

Seems like voting No would maintain the nation I love. Guess you've convinced me to stay towards the no side.

How do you live day to day if you can't think further than what's directly in front of you?

How do you live day to day if you can't think further than what's directly in front of you?

Another limited response that verges on an insult.
    Surely given your certainty you can do better than this.

A practical discussion outlining pros and cons and a vote based on this is how democracy works.

You haven't provided anything beyond romantic historical notions to support UI and comedic comments about others lack of vision.

blanch152 wrote: »
    More fantasy flat-earth stuff.

There won't be a border poll without it being clear what happens next. There won't be a united Ireland if the people of the South vote against it. Simple as.

blanch152 wrote: »
    No, because the numbers in favour of a united Ireland are falling in the North. What is the point of preparing for something that is less likely each year?

Another limited response that verges on an insult.
    Surely given your certainty you can do better than this.

A practical discussion outlining pros and cons and a vote based on this is how democracy works.

You haven't provided anything beyond romantic historical notions to support UI and comedic comments about others lack of vision.

So you guys want a discussion now?

Pick a lane.

So you guys want a discussion now?

Pick a lane.

Well we could start with the negative impacts to RoI in the case of a no vote down south.

Then if you have any positive impacts of the yes vote for those in RoI.

We could discuss the cost to the Gov when it comes to switching NI over to say the euro, irish employments laws including minimum wage, wage equilisation.

Then we could look at potential concessions required to keep the unionists onside and keep violence down.

Well we could start with the negative impacts to RoI in the case of a no vote down south.

Explain to me how you think a NO vote in this State after a Yes vote in the North doesn't have negative impacts?

We could discuss the cost to the Gov when it comes to switching NI over to say the euro, irish employments laws including minimum wage, wage equilisation.

That's a fair amount to be demanding when you can't wrap your head around the concept of "ROI: NO/NI: YES"
    Then we could look at potential concessions required to keep the unionists onside and keep violence down.

Instigating a Unionist veto again are we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Would these concessions given to the uniosts be similar to the Concessions the nationalists were given when partition originated?

Explain to me how you think a NO vote in this State after a Yes vote in the North doesn't have negative impacts?

That's a fair amount to be demanding when you can't wrap your head around the concept of "ROI: NO/NI: YES"

Instigating a Unionist veto again are we?

So your providing nothing in response to my queries that would constitute a reason to vote yes for people down south?

Me thinks this debate is in trouble at the start.

It will most certainly have serious consequences for the North.

However I imagine the day before such a vote and the day after one would look the same to people in the Republic. You've yet to give me any idea why it would change.

I didn't mention a union veto, I think you misunderstood me. Unionists should there be a UI will be Irish and as such they should rightly be considered and be made feel included. For a UI to work we will have to leave behind the sad divisive thought processes that exist in the north and embrace a new future.

Not sure what you think I'm demanding but an honest debate will cover these topics and many more. If they make you feel uncomfortable then maybe you should reassess your viewpoint?

Would these concessions given to the uniosts be similar to the Concessions the nationalists were given when partition originated?

This kind of mindset supports a no vote for a UI.

Why would anyone in the Republic want to absord this butter thought process, forward progress should surely be an inclusive process.

And I imagine some concessions would be needed to ensure this inclusivity works. I am not even sure what they would be.

Would you rather unionists feel for years to come how NI nationalists feel now?

Why would anyone in the Republic want to absord this butter thought process, forward progress should surely be an inclusive process.

And I imagine some concessions would be needed to ensure this inclusivity works. I am not even sure what they would be.

No concessions should be given to them,why would there be?they would be welcome just like anyone else,once they abide by the law there would be no problems,if they didnt they would be dealt with under the law,same as everyone else

So your providing nothing in response to my queries that would constitute a reason to vote yes for people down south?

Me thinks this debate is in trouble at the start.

It will most certainly have serious consequences for the North.

However I imagine the day before such a vote and the day after one would look the same to people in the Republic. You've yet to give me any idea why it would change.

I didn't mention a union veto, I think you misunderstood me. Unionists should there be a UI will be Irish and as such they should rightly be considered and be made feel included. For a UI to work we will have to leave behind the sad divisive thought processes that exist in the north and embrace a new future.

Not sure what you think I'm demanding but an honest debate will cover these topics and many more. If they make you feel uncomfortable then maybe you should reassess your viewpoint?

You're right it's in trouble.

You want to make concessions to people so they don't get violent in the event of a consensual democratic vote on reunification.

That's in essence reinstating a veto on how this state is to be conceived and ran going forward.

And you want an honest debate apparently?

Butter thought he says, while not considering the issues that "ROI: NO, NI: YES" would bring because they're "made up" or "hypothetical".

Butter thought he says, while not considering the issues that "ROI: NO, NI: YES" would bring because they're "made up" or "hypothetical".

For all your typing you've failed to name one that will impact the Republic.

And you have yet to provide comment on any of the real issues I mentioned related to UI.

It's kinda getting funny now.

No concessions should be given to them,why would there be?they would be welcome just like anyone else,once they abide by the law there would be no problems,if they didnt they would be dealt with under the law,same as everyone else

This is a funny comment.

They would be welcome to join the Republic or leave their homes. Sounding like the Brits now...

This is a funny comment.

They would be welcome to join the Republic or leave their homes. Sounding like the Brits now...

You found that funny?

I don't think you actually understand what droidman posted if that's your response.

You found that funny?

I don't think you actually understand what droidman posted if that's your response.

I see you're still failing to verbalise the impacts to RoI after a no vote.

I've given up holding my breadth.

Mind you, you could be right that I misunderstood him/her.

• Advertisement

For all your typing you've failed to name one that will impact the Republic.

And you have yet to provide comment on any of the real issues I mentioned related to UI.

It's kinda getting funny now.

For all your typing you haven't really indicated if you understand much of what anyone's posting here, much less what you're even trying to achieve with these questions.

For all your typing you haven't really indicated if you understand much of what anyone's posting here, much less what you're even trying to achieve with these questions.

You haven't posted anything significant yet.

As I've said still waiting for the impacts to RoI post no vote.

Surely they'll be coming soon?

The height of ignorance.

The lengths you'll go to to avoid not engaging on the simple questions alright.

No matter.

The height of ignorance.

The lengths you'll go to to avoid not engaging on the simple questions alright.

No matter.

What questions? You haven't really asked any.

You've refused to answer a good few.

You told me there would be serious impacts to RoI post a no vote in the South.

Yet to see you post one, leave the petty insults to the kids.

This is a funny comment.

Link me to where i said that?

Link me to where i said that?

I may have misunderstood your comment.
    I admitted as much to Bonnie above.

Sorry in that case.

You haven't posted anything significant yet.

As I've said still waiting for the impacts to RoI post no vote.

Surely they'll be coming soon?

Ha ha.

A poster can't figure out why there might be issues in the event of "ROI: NO, NI: YES", wants to reintroduce the Unionist veto, and he's mad for answers on what would happen in the event of a UI?

Baby steps.

Sorry in that case.

No problem,could you give a rough outline of what concessions would/should be given to unionists in the event of a u.i.?

Sorry in that case.

That's fair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Barry904

I see there is no answer to my question of why the partitionists and unionists are so scared of a referendum when they seem so certain the poll of a few hundred people is as good as fact?

Advertisement