Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How can you possibly be so naïve to think that the State, as founded can go on the next day after ROI: NO, NI: YES happens go on as normal like nothing happened, without any consequences?

No idea why you obsess over violence. Is that all you know? Or do you mean, violence that you would approve of?

There might be a situation alright. Is that the right word for this?

I can't predict exactly what will happen, but it's almost a certainty that in this scenario occurring there's going to be issues for a Republic founded on the ideal of reunification, rejecting one of its founding principles.

How could it not?

How could there not be problems?

What kind of problems? The problems are for Northern Ireland, not wanting to stay in the UK, not wanted by the South. An independent route is the obvious option for them.

As for us in the South, why should our democratically expressed will cause us a problem. If we don't want a united Ireland because we are not prepared to pay for it, what is the downside? Riots in the bogside? Dessie Ellis planting bombs in the Dail? Seriously?

It is time we became proud of our 26-county republic. It is one of the best places to live on this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I assume the unionists would want the right to do their summer walk abouts enshrined. Unless of course they can be classified as the same as a paddys day parade. A government would be expected to recognise heritage that many of us have little time for.

Then given that such things cannot be geo locked, we may see orange men march in Dublin.

Then I feel that unionist parties would seek to find a victory in defeat as something to sell to their fan base (to save themselves).

Mind you I could be way off the mark.

I couldnt really care If they march in dublin or not once they behave themselves.same as i wouldnt care about people from any country,african,south american,continenal europe,or anywhere else having a march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I couldnt really care If they march in dublin or not once they behave themselves.same as i wouldnt care about people from any country,african,south american,continenal europe,or anywhere else having a march.

Didn't work out so great the last time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Didn't work out so great the last time though

No it didnt, a lot of them need manners put on them,but the ones that are capable of behaving themselves have nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

blanch152 wrote: »
    What kind of problems? The problems are for Northern Ireland, not wanting to stay in the UK, not wanted by the South. An independent route is the obvious option for them.

As for us in the South, why should our democratically expressed will cause us a problem. If we don't want a united Ireland because we are not prepared to pay for it, what is the downside? Riots in the bogside? Dessie Ellis planting bombs in the Dail? Seriously?

It is time we became proud of our 26-county republic. It is one of the best places to live on this planet.

I think at this stage we can prob all agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think at this stage we can prob all agree.

Yes, we can agree that no poster has identified any problems should the South vote NO while the North votes YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yes, we can agree that no poster has identified any problems should the South vote NO while the North votes YES.

So far not a single potential issue for the Republic identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It is foolish to suggest a referendum would not be needed. It is strange that "republicans" oppose it. Real republicans favour referendums as a means of establishing the will of the people. Are they afraid of the view of the people?

Excellent observation

Presume the election of Poots brings a UI another step closer.
    It shows up unionism yet again, a well known homophobe being elected its leader, really crazy stuff. Surely most unionists are going to defect away from that party soon, hopefully a lot go to Alliance.

I dismay at the election of Poots. A ‘young earther’, homophobic, etc. What is interesting is that the deputy elected has spoken out in favour of equal marriage and is certainly not a young earther, etc. So I think the is trouble ahead internally for the DUP. I reckon the old guard is on borrowed time even though it won this one.

I say all this as a UUP voter.

It’s not very long since all parties on the island were homophobic, many were young earthers, and many others believed wine turned into blood every Sunday morning (maybe some still do). ….and even more incredibly some still believe Gerry wasn’t in the IRA lol

Onwards and upwards to a more civilised educated society north and south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There would be ripples of destabilization spreading from the border counties I would imagine, almost immediately after a No vote in the south.
    Not a hope in hell would they abandon the northern Irish to their fate again.

Public disobedience and protest on a scale not seen before would ensue I would imagine.

While the north itself would become ungovernable.

• Advertisement

There would be ripples of destabilization spreading from the border counties I would imagine, almost immediately after a No vote in the south.

Public disobedience and protest on a scale not seen before would ensue I would imagine.

Would you be supportive of these actions Francie?

downcow wrote: »
    Would you be supportive of these actions Francie?

No issues here with peaceful protest downcow...never had.

And your peaceful protest would make ni ‘ungovernable’. Francieland!
    A 30 year violent campaign didn’t make it ungovernable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

POLL RESULTS

Yes -let's have a United Ireland asap 198 (21.76%)

No - let's leave things as they are 395 (43.41%)

Yes - but within 10 years when everything is fully agreed 317 (34.84%)

Voters: 910.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There would be ripples of destabilization spreading from the border counties I would imagine

All over I would imagine and there would be questions as to the legitimacy of the state that remained.

Republicans declare a UI anyway and those who voted that way support it. Unionists align with partitionists? Partitonists would immediately lose a majority of their support and align with UIers.

A mess, certainly. But then the patitionists, not unlike Brexiters, think they get to keep their privileges in the event of no vote. No chance.

And your peaceful protest would make ni ‘ungovernable’. Francieland!
    A 30 year violent campaign didn’t make it ungovernable

No, I said NI would become ungovernable if made to go independent against the will of it's people.

Please read what is being said downcow, it's important.

It is ungovernable now and cannot function without the oversight of two sovereign governments, in an Internationally Binding agreement...that is the harsh reality of the failure of partition.

Do you think Northern Ireland could have solved the Brexit issue on it's own or by agreement? :):)

Not a hope...the two sovereign governments agreed what should be done there...i.e. The Protocol was added to the WA and the rest is history..

No, I said NI would become ungovernable if made to go independent against the will of it's people.

Please read what is being said downcow, it's important.

It is ungovernable now and cannot function without the oversight of two sovereign governments, in an Internationally Binding agreement...that is the harsh reality of the failure of partition.

Do you think Northern Ireland could have solved the Brexit issue on it's own or by agreement? :):)

Not a hope...the two sovereign governments agreed what should be done there...i.e. The Protocol was added to the WA and the rest is history..

I missed that the discussion was about ni being made to go independent???
    You are ducking and diving.
    The gfa ensures we won’t be made to do anything

I missed that the discussion was about ni being made to go independent???
    You are ducking and diving.
    The gfa ensures we won’t be made to do anything

Blanch i think it was who suggested independence if the outcome is a Yes to a UI in rhe north but no in the South.

Pay attention downcow. Saves a lot of pedantry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Does Mr Poots believe the Earth was formed 6,000 years a go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Barry904

POLL RESULTS

No surprise the partionist users of Boards voting that way, a similar poll on Joe.ie with 5,000 people polled showed 95% of people in support of a United Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Look at these guys. Pathetic engagement as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

POLL RESULTS

Well, that's it settled so.

Does Mr Poots believe the Earth was formed 6,000 years a go?

I believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

But as a self described democrat you would want the wishes of the majority respected? 50+1 %.

jh79 wrote: »
    But as a self described democrat you would want the wishes of the majority respected? 50+1 %.

If 50+1 have voted for Independence...no objection from me.

If 'Independence' is foisted on them...sorry, I reserve the right as a democrat to object to such a thing.

You have a big hill to climb. Just watching the news there and local catholic and ex Celtic coach Brendan Rodgers has just described himself as british. There’s a few posters here might want to drop him a line lol.
    His nationality is given as northern Irish on Wikipedia. Me and him are part of a growing community

You have a big hill to climb. Just watching the news there and local catholic and ex Celtic coach Brendan Rodgers has just described himself as british. There’s a few posters here might want to drop him a line lol.
    His nationality is given as northern Irish on Wikipedia. Me and him are part of a growing community

downcow...pay attention yet again.
    In the scenario presented...NI has voted in favour of a UI. in which case it doesn't matter what some football manager identifies as.

jh79 wrote: »

What will you call your new country? What flag will it fly? Where will your capital be? Will it remove the aspiration for unification from your new constitution? Will it mark the 1916 anniversaries? Where do the patriots figure in your new country?

Lots of things for you to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What will you call your new country? What flag will it fly? Where will your capital be? Will it remove the aspiration for unification from your new constitution? Will it mark the 1916 anniversaries? Where do the patriots figure in your new country?

Lots of things for you to consider.

The constitution says that a united irealnd can only be brought about if the majority in both jurisdictions vote democratically to do so.

• Advertisement

The constitution says that a united irealnd can only be brought about if the majority in both jurisdictions vote democratically to do so.

Yep.

Advertisement