Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

BBC News

Ireland's Central Statistics Office (CSO) figures show the value of goods exports from Northern Ireland (NI) to the Republic of Ireland rose by 62% from 176m euros to 285m euros.

bbc.com/news

Unfortunately for partitionists/unionists we're heading towards a point where a UI will be, initially, just the Brits handing over the keys.

With a deficit of between 2 and 12bn depending on who you ask I wouldn't be getting the bunting out just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

jh79 wrote: »
    With a deficit of between 2 and 12bn depending on who you ask I wouldn't be getting the bunting out just yet!

I'm confident when the consequences of a paritionist/unionist 'win', you hope for are, juxtaposed to the costs/benefits of a UI then it'll be a resounding 'yes' for a UI.

I'm confident when the consequences of a paritionist/unionist 'win', you hope for are, juxtaposed to the costs/benefits of a UI then it'll be a resounding 'yes' for a UI.

The consequences are just a figment of your imagination. And to be fair the best you could come up with was that the flag would no longer be appropriate. Not much of a threat.

the flag would no longer be appropriate

You'd need to making a new country in my view, not just a new flag.

You'd need to making a new country in my view, not just a new flag.

A "new" country. That's hilarious. Yeah , we'll knock the whole thing down and start from scratch!

Everything stays the same expect for the moaning of a few belligerents who can't accept democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A "new" country. That's hilarious. Yeah , we'll knock the whole thing down and start from scratch!

Everything stays the same expect for the moaning of a few belligerents who can't accept democracy.

What 'democracy' was that?

What 'democracy' was that?

JT is claiming some imaginary consequences if the Republic expresses it's democratic right to refuse unification.

A "new" country. That's hilarious.

Things southern partitonists will be keeping after they get a majority to reject Irish Unification.

Flag x
    Anthem x
    Constitution x
    Symbols x

Things southern partitonists will have to eschew

Political History
    Anniversary of rising
    Name of county
    All artefacts, monuments and historic sites dedicated to patriots

That's just off the top of my head. Best of luck with preventing that making utter mess of your dream

JT is claiming some imaginary consequences if the Republic expresses it's democratic right to refuse unification.

Well of course there will be consequences for a state founded on our proclamation and constitution.
    Do you think people will be allowed to pretend about all that?
    Do you think all will stay the same politically? How could it.

Things you'll be keeping after your 'win'.

Flag x
    Anthem x
    Constitution x
    Symbols x

Things you'll have to eschew

Political History
    Anniversary of rising
    Name of county

That's just off the top of my head. Best of luck with preventing that making utter mess of your dream

Flag doesn't have to change
    National Anthem - don't care
    Constitution's change all the time (8th Amendment etc), Name doesn't need to change.
    It's still a Republic and still Ireland.
    Not bothered about statues. Nice to look at as pieces of art and can still serve that function anyways.

• Advertisement

Well of course there will be consequences for a state founded on our proclamation and constitution.
    Do you think people will be allowed to pretend about all that?
    Do you think all will stay the same politically? How could it.

Give me something tangible ? If it so obvious there is no need to be so vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Whatcar212

Things you'll be keeping after your 'win'.

Flag x
    Anthem x
    Constitution x
    Symbols x

Things you'll have to eschew

Political History
    Anniversary of rising
    Name of county

So you're saying a minority of northern Ireland (or what is becoming a minority) will have more say that the other 6 or 7million people on the island?

Surely these things will be put to an all island vote and not changed to suit a minority? Even if those things were voted on by only those living in the north, it would be touch and go if these would change at all.

You are talking as if the unionist persuasion in the north is large enough to outvote the rest of the island (when in reality it can barely outvote nationalists in the north atm)

Flag doesn't have to change
    National Anthem - don't care
    Constitution's change all the time (8th Amendment etc), Name doesn't need to change.
    It's still a Republic and still Ireland.
    Not bothered about statues. Nice to look at as pieces of art and can still serve that function anyways.

Lol, best of luck getting that by the public. :) You didn't give this any thought at all, did you? I'm sure the likes of Gregory Campbell and Edwin Poots would become your greatest allies.

As I've written before, like Brexiters, you lot think if you get your way everything stays the same. It will like hell.

Whatcar212 wrote: »
    So you're saying a minority of northern Ireland (or what is becoming a minority) will have more say that the other 6 or 7million people on the island?

Surely these things will be put to an all island vote and not changed to suit a minority? Even if those things were voted on by only those living in the north, it would be touch and go if these would change at all.

You are talking as if the unionist persuasion in the north is large enough to outvote the rest of the island (when in reality it can barely outvote nationalists in the north atm)

No. I'm addressing a partitonist here who wants the public in the south to vote down a United Ireland. I'm trying to help him see the water he's swimming in, as it were.

Lol, best of luck getting that by the public. :) You didn't give this any thought at all, did you? I'm sure the likes of Gregory Campbell and Edwin Poots would become your greatest allies.

As I've written before, like Brexiters, you lot think if you get your way everything stays the same. It will like hell.

Pure delusion that a belligerent minority would force the majority to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Whatcar212

No. I'm addressing a partitonist here who wants the public in the south to vote down a United Ireland. I'm trying to help him see the water he's swimming in, as it were.

Fair do, I should have properly followed your quote :)

A relatively successful Republic as it is now.

Pure delusion that a belligerent minority would force the majority to change anything.

It would be some laugh you lot bringing a foreign dignitary to the Garden of Remembrance. As I said, you'll be selling a vision for a very different country.

A relatively successful Republic as it is now.

Yes because of the very people who fought, lived, and died, for its independence. You know, the ones you'll have to ignore.

Is it starting to click?

WrKPhfd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

It would be some laugh you lot bringing a foreign dignitary to the Garden of Remembrance. As I said, you'll be selling a vision for a very different country.

You'll find labelling people who like their country as is isn't really going to get you anywhere.

No matter your feelings, the people will make the right choice for them and their country and that will be respected by everyone in the Republic.

"you lot" you means people who live in the South and don't have to suffer extreme opinions.

Responses are getting a bit sad, the time will come when a vote will be held and the democratic will of this nation will be upheld whatever that may be.

I know this concept can be anti thesis to some in the North.

• Advertisement

people who like their country

Ireland is one country, all 32 counties of it. You're speaking to the current 26 county state which resulted from partition of the country. The clue is in the description 'partition'. I'm from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Ireland is one country, all 32 counties of it. You're speaking to the current 26 county state which resulted from partition of the country. The clue is in the description 'partition'. I'm from Cork.

You'll find that we are actually a 26 county country and the North belongs to this other nation.

Mad confusing I know, but you'll find a map with a line explaining it.

Then see they use different units and currency.

We might become one country one day - if the people of our nation and the North will it so.

I am a republican from a republic. Was born and raised in it. No plans to partition my nation.

Lots of Unionists down south are mad to unite with NI though

We might become one country one day - if the people of our nation and the North will it so.

This is one country that was divided. What do you think happened in 1920's? Do you think it was Britain that was partitioned or some other country?

You'll find labelling people who like their country as is isn't really going to get you anywhere.

No matter your feelings, the people will make the right choice for them and their country and that will be respected by everyone in the Republic.

"you lot" you means people who live in the South and don't have to suffer extreme opinions.

Responses are getting a bit sad, the time will come when a vote will be held and the democratic will of this nation will be upheld whatever that may be.

I know this concept can be anti thesis to some in the North.

How many people 'like their country as is?'

I'd imagine that would be a tiny minority of people who can turn blind eyes.

There are some things we have gotten massively wrong since the foundation of the state that can be put right/started again in a UI.

Not many will, when presented with that as a plan, turn it down.

67% want a UI, the UI campaign is off to a flyer as soon as a BP is called with numbers like that.

Jaysus this is hilarious. The imaginery carrot now replaced with the imaginery stick.

Yes because of the very people who fought, lived, and died, for its independence. You know, the ones you'll have to ignore.

Is it starting to click?

WrKPhfd.gif

So a gif is the best you can come up with.

Keep going it's great craic.

Jaysus this is hilarious. The imaginery carrot now replaced with the imaginery stick.

We get it jh79...people always get carried away with opinion poll results. It is not a good idea really.

You need to see that a UI will be far from a simple yes or no answer. Nor will be simply about how much jh79 has left in his pocket.

We get it jh79...people always get carried away with opinion poll results. It is not a good idea really.

You need to see that a UI will be far from a simple yes or no answer. Nor will be simply about how much jh79 has left in his pocket.

I thought you were a democrat? Vote yes otherwise there will be serious consequences doesn't match the description.

I thought you were a democrat? Vote yes otherwise there will be serious consequences doesn't match the description.

:):) Here we go. The predictable misrepresentation. Nobody said 'or else'' jh79.

Why not go all in and insinuate that people will be intimidated to vote yes by droves of white bearded men descending from the hills of Antrim.

• Advertisement

You want consequences-free outcomes. The world doesn't work that way.

You simply can't wish away that this country's foundations were built by people with a vision for a 32 county Republic, if you reject that then the foundations become shaky.

See, if you think about it, people in the north were victimised by partition, all of us were, but particularly them. So they vote to unify the country in the north, and you want people in the south to victimise people all over again by saying 'no' and expect everyone to just shrug and say 'ah well'? Who is being realistic here?

Advertisement