Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

jh79 wrote: »
    What would be your explanation to why 25% of Catholics would vote for remaining in the UK?

I dunno. Probably the ability to buy scotch eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The ballot only has 2 choices.

You said if the majority reject unification then there would be consequences.

Is the story now that if you found out after the event that they meant "no" in the permanent sense then there would be consequences?

I think he is trying to back away completely from the "implications".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The ballot only has 2 choices. You said if the majority reject unification then there would be consequences.

Is the story now that if you found out after the event that they meant "no" in the permanent sense then there would be consequences?

I've written numerous times that we will be discussing the 'how' and not the 'if' in the south when it comes to unification.

And yes, pro-UI vote in the north combined with a no-to-UI vote in the south will have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Because *sigh* 'not now' is not the same as 'no'. 'Not now' is essentially 'yes, but with conditions'. No is no.

You're a mess, pull yourself together.

That is actually just your take on it.

I would argue it the other way, as not making a change to allow it doesn't mean it cannot be made later. But a yes is a definitive yes.

As a not now voter - No is my only viable option.

I've written numerous times that we will be discussing the 'how' and not the 'if' in the south when it comes to unification.

And yes, pro-UI vote in the north combined with a no-to-UI vote in the south will have consequences.

Why not discuss them now? If you are so certain there will be a real world impact on the South.

Surely your opinion has a basis - and this basis can be put into words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

And you'll deduce from the No tick on the box whether it was a real no or a "not now" and then all hell will be unleashed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

Most people would probably like to see a United Ireland at some stage, but a lot of people that like to bandy the term about would need to look up the word United first.

A United Ireland requires a united people to become a reality.

A mere geographic unity on a map or a piece of paper will change nothing.

You keep telling us that there will be consequences, but you haven't been able to list a single one. Give us two, so that we know you are correct that there is more than one.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think you don't understand.

"Not now" voters only have the option of voting "no". Essentially therefore, they are "no" voters.

You are a no voter. You want permanent partition and attempt to disguise it behind a 'perfect solution'.

'Not now' is different.

And yes pro-UI in the north + no-to-UI in the south will be a mess.

We're back to redefining words again I see.

It's not that long ago that Blanch tried this nonsense.

You guys are really cranking out the hits these days.

To unite something would define one as a unionist no?

I was born and live in an actual Republic that i fully support thus making me a republican.

Just speaking of grammar here.

• Advertisement

You are a no voter. You want permanent partition and attempt to disguise it behind a 'perfect solution'.

'Not now' is different.

And yes pro-UI in the north + no-to-UI in the south will be a mess.

A mess? Consequences?

What are you talking about? A few heads in the media getting in a spin about what it means to be Irish? Sean-nos singers being more mournful than usual? The Wolfe Tones emigrating in disgust?

Or do you mean republican thugs rioting in the streets refusing to accept a democratic vote?

Spit it out, unspoken threats are the most disgusting of the lot.

I was born and live in an actual Republic that i fully support thus making me a republican.

It is quite strange, we have "republicans" claiming there will be "consequences" and a "mess" if people exercise their democratic will in a way that they don't like, quite possibly the most unrepublican thing possible.

Is that how you took it back in 1998?

When we discuss this does it ever come to ones mind that since 1998 the voter base has actually changed.

All the people from outside Ireland that can vote, and every irish person registered to vote since 1998 (will be 25+ years of voters by the time we get anywhere near a vote), then all those that have passed on since.

The nation has changed..

A mess? Consequences?

Yes, a mess. People in the north (probably around a million of them) vote for a UI and the part of the country built on those very foundations votes no?

You think everyone goes back to their mundane lives the next day? You wish.

Yes, a mess. People in the north (probably around a million of them) vote for a UI and the part of the country built on those very foundations votes no?

We have gone over this quite a bit and as you can offer nothing to the contrary it is safe to assume that people in the Republic will continue on as normal.

As for NI that is another story but would also be another country.

So what are the far left dissidents going to do then ? Shoot dead more journalists ?
    Blow up some more mothers and kids out shopping ?
    Abduct some more single mothers of 10, murder them, and then hide the body ?
    Sell more Drugs ?

Yep, that'll really "unite" Ireland, but not in the way they plan.

We have gone over this quite a bit and as you can offer nothing to the contrary it is safe to assume that people in the Republic will continue on as normal.

That is a ridiculous assumption.
    As for NI that is another story but would also be another country.

The north has never been a country and never will be a country. It will have just voted for unification. You think the next day they're told 'sorry lads do your own thing we're grand down here' will wash?

Seriously, this is a weirdly naive prediction.

Well, yes. Didn't we all go back to our mundane lives the day after every other referendum?

What would be different? Will someone burn down all the schools so kids have to stay at home? Will government offices close for a day of mourning?

Look, there will be lots of crying and calls of betrayal, but there will have been a democratic vote, and the people will have spoken. Perhaps the sectarianists will get the message and sort the problems in the North first.

The north has never been a country and never will be a country. It will have just voted for unification. You think the next day they're told 'sorry lads do your own thing we're grand down here' will wash?

Seriously, this is a weirdly naive prediction.

They will have voted for two things.

(1) To leave the UK
    (2) To join the South.

Half a loaf is better than none at all. The Republic of Northern Ireland?

I don't think it is either weird or naive to expect people to accept a democratic vote.

Coming from someone who cannot provide any valid argument against it.

If you are so pro UI but cannot even give as a half decent example of a negative then it gives me confidence that this assumption will turn out true.

You are making assumptions all over which you refuse to support at all... You have strange thought processes.

• Advertisement

Look, there will be lots of crying and calls of betrayal

There will be a serious political crisis at the very least. You know this but you're so wedded to permanent partition you'd be happy to take the risks and probably be delighted if you could split the population all over again.
    Perhaps the sectarianists will get the message and sort the problems in the North first.

You will be telling people in the north who've had enough of the sectarianism and dysfunction that has flowed from partition 'fuck you, have some more, and have it forever'.

How noble of you.

They will have voted for two things.

(1) To leave the UK
    (2) To join the South.

Half a loaf is better than none at all. The Republic of Northern Ireland?

I don't think it is either weird or naive to expect people to accept a democratic vote.

Maybe as time goes by it may develop into a society that people in RoI would unite with.

Let them get the hate out of their system first.

Coming from someone who cannot provide any valid argument against it.

If you are so pro UI but cannot even give as a half decent example of a negative then it gives me confidence that this assumption will turn out true.

You are making assumptions all over which you refuse to support at all... You have strange thought processes.

The arrogance to suggest that the world will somehow fall apart the next day if people express a particular view in a referendum yet not provide a single example of how this would happen.

You will be telling people in the north who've had enough of the sectarianism and dysfunction that has flowed from partition 'fuck you, have some more, and have it forever'.

How noble of you.

So the minority of Irish "Unionists" should dictate to the majority of Irish people ?

There will be a serious political crisis at the very least. You know this but you're so wedded to permanent partition you'd be happy to take the risks and probably be delighted if you could split the population all over again.

How noble of you.

No we would merely be saying we do not want to unite with them at the exact time the vote is carried out.

We are not voting to change any wording to demand never having a UI - all the wording will still be there to allow a future vote.

This has nothing to do with nobility - the brits used these kind of lines for brexit. All heart and no head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Aren't you so SMRT

I've little doubt there would be accusations of betrayal and a political mess with a million people left dangling in limbo, in the north, who have as much right to Irish citizenship as anyone else.

You tell me, what do we do with those people?

How noble of you.

You really don't get it.

A "political crisis" doesn't change a single thing for everyday life, is that all you have? We had a political crisis after the last election in the middle of a pandemic and we managed ok. Nowhere near your apocalyptic prediction.

The sectarianism and dysfunction didn't flow from partition, they flowed from the actions of people. Like a poor workman blaming his tools, it is always the fault of some abstract concept, rather than the fault of the people who carried out the actual nauseating violence.

I've little doubt there would be accusations of betrayal and a political mess with a million people left dangling in limbo, in the north, who have as much right to Irish citizenship as anyone else.

You tell me, what do we do with those people?

They already have Irish citizenship, in fact nearly anyone with no connection to Ireland can have it, it's a meaningless brand name now.

• Advertisement

Let them get the hate out of their system first.

Let who get it out? What you're saying here is 'we're sorry you were left in the predicament you were, with those people who hate you, but you must learn to love them'. That's immoral and unconscionable.
    The sectarianism and dysfunction didn't flow from partition, they flowed from the actions of people.

This is rubbish and you know it. The north was a one-party sectarian statelet for 50 years before it blew up in their faces. You know this, everyone knows this.

You're absolutely blinded by your hatred of Republicans/Nationalists and I believe you'd accept turmoil in favour of unification.

Advertisement