Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Racism, classism and climate change are all linked, apparently.

I'd nearly say she has a point about climate change and classism; how do you drive the climate change agenda without it disproportionately affecting the poor (carbon tax), but I fail to see how racism fits in there with those two at all?? Can anyone explain this?

She throws statements like the above out there without explaining them at all, how am I supposed to become woke if you won't tell me how !? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

perhaps she just dosnt have the confidence to say "I'm Hazel and i'm running for election because i have drive and commitment to serve my constituency and here are my policies" and instead feels she needs the angle/gimmick of race and gender.

Well to fair, it was the Seanad.

I wish they had the confidence to say "I'm running because I want a pay rise while doing very little work and serving very little purpose"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She can't run on the female platform - the Seanad is very close to 50/50 already.
    She can't run on the immigrant platform - she was born in Dublin.
    So she's trying for the intersectional platform, female AND second generation immigrant.
    That didn't work either.

Her future is with some immigration NGO where she can use her clout and connections to further the immigration/feminist cause.
    We already have an abundance of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Racism, classism and climate change are all linked, apparently.

I'd nearly say she has a point about climate change and classism; how do you drive the climate change agenda without it disproportionately affecting the poor (carbon tax), but I fail to see how racism fits in there with those two at all?? Can anyone explain this?

She throws statements like the above out there without explaining them at all, how am I supposed to become woke if you won't tell me how !? :)

You clearly haven't been informed about the woke credo

listenandbelievesocjus.png?fit=940%2C559&ssl=1

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Well, bombshell announcement this morning that Eoghan Murphy FG is to resign as a TD in Dublin Bay South, triggering a by-election to be held no later than November.

The Lord Mayor topped the poll in the Pembroke ward here with 4,000 odd votes in 2019, while Minister Ryan topped the poll in DBS with 8,888 only last year.

The Green Party candidate here will be a red-hot favourite, with only (presumably) Kate O'Connell FG in the running to halt the green wave.

Will the party at last crack the whip hand and punish the Lord Mayor for her ill-disciple, or will her rogue effort be rewarded with electoral success?

Only time will tell.

Ladies and gentlemen, to paraphrase a that famous line, I think we're gonna need a bigger thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

PunkIPA wrote: »
    Well, bombshell announcement this morning that Eoghan Murphy FG is to resign as a TD in Dublin Bay South, triggering a by-election to be held no later than November.

The Lord Mayor topped the poll in the Pembroke ward here with 4,000 odd votes in 2019, while Minister Ryan topped the poll in DBS with 8,888 only last year.

The Green Party candidate here will be a red-hot favourite, with only (presumably) Kate O'Connell FG in the running to halt the green wave.

Will the party at last crack the whip hand and punish the Lord Mayor for her ill-disciple, or will her rogue effort be rewarded with electoral success?

Only time will tell.

Ladies and gentlemen, to paraphrase a that famous line, I think we're gonna need a bigger thread.

Ryan cannot let another green actually get a seat here unless he wants to retire at the next election, because neither will get elected next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Ryan cannot let another green actually get a seat here unless he wants to retire at the next election, because neither will get elected next time around.

It doesn't really matter what Ryan thinks. Hazel Chu will do what is best for Hazel Chu.

I also think people are underestimating how much goodwill the Greens have burned through since joining this government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Akesh wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what Ryan thinks. Hazel Chu will do what is best for Hazel Chu.

I also think people are underestimating how much goodwill the Greens have burned through since joining this government.

100%,,and by November, when the raft of carbon due taxes due in May have kicked in plus, the Budget measures, they will have a lot less. Not to mention the 12 Billion which has to be "shaved" of public spending,,,not looking good for the greens in any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jmreire wrote: »
    100%,,and by November, when the raft of carbon due taxes due in May have kicked in plus, the Budget measures, they will have a lot less. Not to mention the 12 Billion which has to be "shaved" of public spending,,,not looking good for the greens in any sense.

Ryan will be ok.... sure he has his heads of lettuce to look forward to soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Akesh wrote: »

If there are alot of woke voters Hazel's brand might get through along with green voters.

Unlikely to go to a second count but if it does she may pick up FF, FG and SF voters that don't want to vote for each other. Same goes for LP.

Sure they should all jump on the bandwagon and put forward their own diverse candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Elmo wrote: »
    If there are alot of woke voters Hazel's brand might get through along with green voters.

Unlikely to go to a second count but if it does she may pick up FF, FG and SF voters that don't want to vote for each other. Same goes for LP.

Sure they should all jump on the bandwagon and put forward their own diverse candidate.

Bacik, Chu, O'Connell, Boylan - now there's a wokeathon if ever there was one - very possible.

Someone on radio mentioned Michael McDowell as a possibility (obv. as Independent) - now, I'd like to see that to distinguish from the possible awful borg above.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

archfi wrote: »
    Someone on radio mentioned Michael McDowell as a possibility (obv. as Independent) - now, I'd like to see that to distinguish from the possible awful borg above.

It's funny I would be really against MMcD on a lot of issues but I now realize that its good to have differing opinions.

He's an arse but variety is the spice of life.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

After hearing the news of Eoghan Murphy's resignation, Hazel Chu's 3 year old daughter said "Mummy, having regard to the gender inequality in Dáil Éireann aswell as the lack of diversity, might it be prudent for you to consider a run in the Dublin Bay South by-election?"

https://www.twitter.com/cosainireland/status/1386973650209890306

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

I like Kate O, a fine piece of stuff. A lot nicer the Chu Chu. So Kate gets my vote.

Shouldn't it be 'Lady' mayor or just Mayor?

Bet it drives her insane lol

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Edz87 wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be 'Lady' mayor or just Mayor?

Bet it drives her insane lol

The DCC Standing Orders specify it has to be Lord Mayor, in fact. She addressed the issue on an episode of Don Creedon's Atlas of Ireland recently enough, and said she supported keeping it as such so we can learn from history basically.

Probably the first sensible thing I've heard from her.

PunkIPA wrote: »
    The DCC Standing Orders specify it has to be Lord Mayor, in fact. She addressed the issue on an episode of Don Creedon's Atlas of Ireland recently enough, and said she supported keeping it as such so we can learn from history basically.

Probably the first sensible thing I've heard from her.

ah now she was beaten to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    I like Kate O, a fine piece of stuff. A lot nicer the Chu Chu. So Kate gets my vote.

It's not even a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I hope she gets it.

As Lord Mayor people need only look at her record at regenerating the inner city, and leading a crackdown on crime.

Dublin Bay needs the changes only she can bring.

The recent video asking people not to litter in Portabello shows she is in touch with the youth of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Ivana Bacik said she wants it and that the constituency needs a woman's voice. Lol, she beat Hazel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Ivana Bacik said she wants it and that the constituency needs a woman's voice. Lol, she beat Hazel to it.

Between a choice of those 2 I vote we move everyone out of there and let nature have it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ivana Bacik has stood so often I've lost count and she's unelectable . Hopefully the Greens will kick Chu out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Marcos

A nice way to split the vote to let someone else in.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Ivana Bacik has stood so often I've lost count and she's unelectable . Hopefully the Greens will kick Chu out sooner rather than later.

She's run for the Dail twice. I presume you can count to that, or to three if you add a single European run.

Paul Donnelly of SF got elected on his fifth attempt.

She's not going to get elected this time either, but the nonsense that she's run some huge number of times is tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I immediately thought of poor Hazel on hearing Bacik declaring her candidacy on the basis of the constituency needing a woman's voice :)

Looks like they need a sit down to sort out which of the sisters should stand to stick it to the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I immediately thought of poor Hazel on hearing Bacik declaring her candidacy on the basis of the constituency needing a woman's voice :)

Looks like they need a sit down to sort out which of the sisters should stand to stick it to the man!

A woman's voice? Do these people think they're ****ing suffragettes or something? I hear women's voices all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Lmkrnr wrote: »

Why should it be either

I hope she gets it.

As Lord Mayor people need only look at her record at regenerating the inner city, and leading a crackdown on crime.

Dublin Bay needs the changes only she can bring.

The recent video asking people not to litter in Portabello shows she is in touch with the youth of today.

Nonsense, unless this is a joke and you think sarcasm without any kind of overly ridiculous reference to it makes sarcasm clear,
    because if you are serious, then no wonder Dublin city is in the state it is,
    Asking people not to litter, I hope you are taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All I see daily is people going to their nearest bin on the street and then proceed to dump all their household waste. They actually have no shame.

Chu would want to get onto the council to up their game and actually enforce their own bye-laws, they would actually do quite well in the fines and then could clean up proper.

The streets are stinking, human waste everywhere, tents and more tents, I've never in my life seen it so bad, the tents and rubbish left daily and it's absolutely shocking, bins over flowing, numpties throwing food all over paths to feed the seagulls.

She had all her time in the position to make some changes but chose to go on about her own woke agenda and it's all for her daughter.

I'm still confused that she identify as a Chinese but the parent was from Hong Kong.... Or am I mistaken.
    NGOs must be getting wet just thinking about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

L1011 wrote: »
    She's run for the Dail twice. I presume you can count to that, or to three if you add a single European run.

Paul Donnelly of SF got elected on his fifth attempt.

She's not going to get elected this time either, but the nonsense that she's run some huge number of times is tiresome.

Your right, she isn't going to get elected this time either, so +1 to that list, it's all about profile for the next GE.

This is going to be some clown car election! Can't wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

To be fair, while shes IMO a terrible politician, I can easily imagine she receives a boat load of abuse.

Ive no problem with her being criticised and be held accountable for her comments/policies etc, but she doesn't deserve to be called a "slanty eyed, yellow bitch" (as per the article).

Call her a terrible politician, but that kind of abuse is toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

beakerjoe wrote: »
    To be fair, while shes IMO a terrible politician, I can easily imagine she receives a boat load of abuse.

Ive no problem with her being criticised and be held accountable for her comments/policies etc, but she doesn't deserve to be called a "slanty eyed, yellow bitch" (as per the article).

Noone here is saying any of that is deserved.

I'm more talking about the timing of her allegations, as I see today she has put herself forward for Eoghan Murphys seat in Dublin Bay North.

Maybe I'm been too cynical.

I'm more talking about the timing of her allegations, as I see today she has put herself forward for Eoghan Murphys seat in Dublin Bay North.

I think you are.

It looks like she was sought out for the piece by the Journal.

Look through the thread, Im not her biggest fan, but I dont think shes "at it again".....yet. Not in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You gotta love Ireland when among the insults in the paper is included; “West Brit” and “shape-shifting dragon”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Iv seen pictures with her face super imposed onto the body of jabba the hut. They were sent to her if I remember correctly.

It's not right. Would wear a person down I would imagine. She is still a crap politician though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

I think you are.

It looks like she was sought out for the piece by the Journal.

Look through the thread, Im not her biggest fan, but I dont think shes "at it again".....yet. Not in this instance.

Might be a good idea to listen to her interview with Claire Byrne this morning, or read the Claire Byrne thread in Radio, before jumping to conclusions!

Mav11 wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to listen to her interview with Claire Byrne this morning, or read the Claire Byrne thread in Radio, before jumping to conclusions!

I was responding to the article. Im unaware of any CB interview.

Whats the interview? Just her jumping into the DBS race head first?

Shes not a good politician, I hope she doesn't get elected.

I was responding to the article. Im unaware of any CB interview.

Whats the interview? Just her jumping into the DBS race head first?

Shes not a good politician, I hope she doesn't get elected.

Should be on podcast but you will get a sense on the CB thread here. All I'll say is, "same ole, same ole".

Should be on podcast but you will get a sense on the CB thread here. All I'll say is, "same ole, same ole".

Linky? I dont know this thread.

Im not surprised, if she's banging the same drum as usual.

Its all she has in her political arsenal it seems.

• Advertisement

Linky? I dont know this thread.

Im not surprised, if she's banging the same drum as usual.

Its all she has in her political arsenal it seems.

Our Hazel, a one trick pony and not a very good trick at that!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106563&page=152

Our Hazel, a one trick pony and not a very good trick at that!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106563&page=152

The usual.

I will say Im dislike her strategy.

However, its gotten her this fair, if its not broke she wont fix it.

I'd love someone to ask her "so Hazel, lets say another women of colour is running opposite you, why should they vote for you over her?".

Im all for a decent female woman of colour being elected, Chu is just not a good enough politician to vote for.

The usual.

I will say Im dislike her strategy.

However, its gotten her this fair, if its not broke she wont fix it.

I'd love someone to ask her "so Hazel, lets say another women of colour is running opposite you, why should they vote for you over her?".

Im all for a decent female woman of colour being elected, Chu is just not a good enough politician to vote for.

Regardless of race, gender, creed etc she seems to be totally devoid of any meaningful outward looking policy that doesn’t involve the promotion of Hazel Chu. I suppose all politicians are the same to a certain extent, but she is so blatantly self promoting, she appears incapable of hiding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What does she do other then rubbish talk on twitter?

As I mentioned previously I've tried contacting her and asked honest questions about the race issues she brings up and how racist we are etc....

She blocked me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Iv seen pictures with her face super imposed onto the body of jabba the hut. They were sent to her if I remember correctly.

It's not right. Would wear a person down I would imagine. She is still a crap politician though

Then don't become a politician. Politics was always and should always be for people with tough skin, people who can take mockery and even abuse. I'm not saying it's right, but it comes with the territory. Imagine if media outlets treated the likes of Trump like Chu? With constant articles about how oppressed his is because someone made a joke about him. It would be viewed as ridiculous, and the same reason should be applied to victim-hood seeking politicians like Chu.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Then don't become a politician. Politics was always and should always be for people with tough skin, people who can take mockery and even abuse. I'm not saying it's right, but it comes with the territory. Imagine if media outlets treated the likes of Trump like Chu? With constant articles about how oppressed his is because someone made a joke about him. It would be viewed as ridiculous, and the same reason should be applied to victim-hood seeking politicians like Chu.

She should be open to criticism.

However, she nor should anyone else be subject to dick pics, racist abuse, or any abuse (I hope your son gets autism, what a horrible line).

This needs to change. No one deserves that.

Call her a **** politician.... but when it descends into vulgar abuse its too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The thing is it wasnt just Hazel.

The article mentioned
    Cllr Elisa O'Donovan
    Minister Anne Rabbitte
    Former Senator Lorraine Higgins

So yes it is cynical. None of them deserve that abuse.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

TomTomTim wrote: »

It hasnt always been as bad as the last few years. I think saying "it comes with the territory" is effectively saying its acceptable. Its not acceptable.

Do you want to start receiving dick pics and abusive names every single day because of your job?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think as a politician shes a public figure and open to criticism, ridicule and accusations if true.

You believe shes a racist, I think its fair to accuse her if evidnece is available to support your opinion.

If you believe shes a terrible politician, she should expect to be told that in a reasonable manner.

If she does something wrong, or stupid or criminal, she should be able to take ridicule, or outrage and to expect it.

But no one, not her or anyone desrves to be called names based off her race, gender or sexual orientation.

If anything it gives her fuel to continue her agendas and helps her avoid any real political issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Santana Unimportant Cub

asked this before here but couldnt get an answer, does this one trick pony have any ideas/plans/proposals other than screeching about race baiting/gender - identity politics...she has to realise no one gives a sh!t while there are serious issues like housing etc going on and not her hurt feelings and her entitlement to a well paid job for doing f all

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement