Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Annasopra wrote: »
    It hasnt always been as bad as the last few years. I think saying "it comes with the territory" is effectively saying its acceptable. Its not acceptable.

Do you want to start receiving dick pics and abusive names every single day because of your job?

It's victim blaming, basically.

So is this the end of Ms Chu's political ambition within the Green Party?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40306718.html

Split in 5...4...3....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So is this the end of Ms Chu's political ambition within the Green Party?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40306718.html

Split in 5...4...3....?

she may try to muscle into a leader role with the splinter group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Surprised by that actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If Chu got it and won, you'd have to suspect she would go independent when she met her first no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The useless cnut hasn't commented on last nights disgracefully scenes but she count stop tweeting about her great work getting toilets and bins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

She's on with Katie Hannon at the moment re Dublin crowds but I'm sure she'll be asked about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The useless cnut hasn't commented on last nights disgracefully scenes but she count stop tweeting about her great work getting toilets and bins

She's literally on the radio as you typed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Danzy wrote: »
    If Chu got it and won, you'd have to suspect she would go independent when she met her first no.

She is a fair weather Green. No commitment to technocratic green policy.

• Advertisement

Not a great outing for her here

Tying herself up in riddles

Terrified to call out that some ppl are not law abiding

It’s a no from me

Tying herself up in riddles

Terrified to call out that some ppl are not law abiding

It’s a no from me

Saying that the vast majority were sitting drinking and being law abiding, never mind that street drinking is illegal in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

She's on with Katie Hannon at the moment re Dublin crowds but I'm sure she'll be asked about it.

Ok but she is not on her favorite platform like she always jumps on
    Useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Toilets and such facilities should be all over the city anyway.

Dublin city is a a horrible place to be, stinks, dirty and scum everywhere and nothing done about it.

Toilets and such facilities should be all over the city anyway.

Dublin city is a a horrible place to be, stinks, dirty and scum everywhere and nothing done about it.

The reason there are no toilets is because there is scum everywhere. We had public toilets years ago until they were overrun by junkies

• Advertisement

The train there are no toilets is because there is scum everywhere. We had public toilets years ago until they were overrun by junkies

That can't be used as an excuse, there are enough Gardai, council workers etcto keep these under control.

The toilets I remember as a child had attendees so were kept quite clean too.

The pod at O'Connell bridge removed years ago too was ridiculous, as a bus driver there are zero facilities for us too., Over 2,500 drivers and not a toilet.

[HTML][/HTML]
    That can't be used as an excuse, there are enough Gardai, council workers etcto keep these under control.

The toilets I remember as a child had attendees so were kept quite clean too.

The pod at O'Connell bridge removed years ago too was ridiculous, as a bus driver there are zero facilities for us too., Over 2,500 drivers and not a toilet.

There were attendees until they were assaulted and abused by these junkies and had to be removed for their own safety.

The insistence on providing drug clinics and social housing with embedded social problems is the root of the issues in the city. Everything flows from that.

It's mad when you think about it. Because of junkies and a few cottagers, the city of Dublin completely ceased providing any toilet facilities. Outrageous. But then it kind of sums up the state's approach to any bad behaviour - ban it for everyone.

It's mad when you think about it. Because of junkies and a few cottagers, the city of Dublin completely ceased providing any toilet facilities. Outrageous. But then it kind of sums up the state's approach to any bad behaviour - ban it for everyone.

It is mad, but would you work in a place where you're constantly threatened? Would you be happy if your employer who had a duty of care to you left you there?

The toilets became unsafe for staff and patrons and had to go. It's not right, but that's the reality of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The reality is that they didn't want to put any money into the cost of the upkeep.

My old man remembered when the public toilets in Dublin were staffed by a full time attendant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If I was gender blind and basing my opinion of Chu solely on performance.
    I'd have to say she comes across as an exceptionally poor politician.
    Reactive, poor engagement and no actual spine when put on the spot.
    Near immediate resort to identity politicking rather than a history of achievement or policy success and very much appears to operate in the realm of what's best for me, rather than what's best for my constituents.

Not an ideological Green and not an effective politician in building any effective support or consensus for her positions or policies.

Honestly, other than gender or race?
    What is her actual voter appeal?

Tony EH wrote: »
    The reality is that they didn't want to put any money into the cost of the upkeep.

My old man remembered when the public toilets in Dublin were staffed by a full time attendant.
    Your dad is probably thinking of a time when people with 400 convictions didnt roam the streets stamping on people's skulls for sport and when garda foot patrols were a common sight.

There are auto cleaning kiosk toilets and free standing pissoirs in loads of cities around the world. We dont need the elaborate Victorian "spend a penny" affairs.

Surprised by that actually

A little dig by Ryan?

"Party leader and Dublin Bay South TD Eamon Ryan congratulated Ms Bryne, saying it was a reflection of the Green Party’s strength and diversity to have such a strong candidate running in Dublin Bay South."

I wonder how the Greens are now aligned after this.

There are auto cleaning kiosk toilets and free standing pissoirs in loads of cities around the world. We dont need the elaborate Victorian "spend a penny" affairs.

No we don't. They still don't want to foot the cost of upkeep though.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No we don't. They still don't want to foot the cost of upkeep though.

However they dont seems to mind spending our money on white water rafting complexes or death trap cycle lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Saying that the vast majority were sitting drinking and being law abiding, never mind that street drinking is illegal in Dublin

Shure why would you expect Dublin's Lord Mayor (also a qualified barrister as it happens) to know anything about the Dublin City Council's by-laws? That's way outside her comfort zone!

She knows how to fill in a Councillor's expenses claim form, and that's all that matters.

Shure why would you expect Dublin's Lord Mayor (also a qualified barrister as it happens) to know anything about the Dublin City Council's by-laws? That's way outside her comfort zone!

She knows how to fill in a Councillor's expenses claim form, and that's all that matters.

That's a bit unfair. She also knows how to write race baiting posts on twitter and make herself the self appointed champion of women and minorities.

Is it? I asked a guard that a couple of weeks ago when we were going for a takeaway pint with some relatives.

He said it's ok to drink on the street, it's just illegal to be drunk in public.

Now he may have been under orders to turn a blind eye what with the covid situation but I'm surprised about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wonder how the Greens are now aligned after this.

I'd say they are aligned right down the middle, wouldn't you?

Chu will be a Soc Dem before the summer is out. Catherine Martin will lead whats left of the Greens by Christmas.

Is it? I asked a guard that a couple of weeks ago when we were going for a takeaway pint with some relatives.

He said it's ok to drink on the street, it's just illegal to be drunk in public.

Now he may have been under orders to turn a blind eye what with the covid situation but I'm surprised about that.
    Dublin and Cork have bye-laws that prohibit street drinking. I'm not sure about other cities or county towns.

• Advertisement

Dublin and Cork have bye-laws that prohibit street drinking. I'm not sure about other cities or county towns.

Huh... Every day is a schoolday.

I guess it's just unenforceable at the moment.

Cheers.

That's a pretty dumb law when the street's outside Kehoe's, Grogan's and others are regularly packed with drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It reminds me of primary school; if one person acted the bollox everyone else got in trouble too. I hated the concept then, and I hate it even more now.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It reminds me of primary school; if one person acted the bollox everyone else got in trouble too. I hated the concept then, and I hate it even more now.

It's weak leadership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I assumed it was a general law across the country that you couldn't drink in public places.

• It's mad when you think about it. Because of junkies and a few cottagers, the city of Dublin completely ceased providing any toilet facilities. Outrageous. But then it kind of sums up the state's approach to any bad behaviour - ban it for everyone.

Yep too incompetent and self serving to their own constitiencies to be even bothered with the problems on Dublin's streets.

Dublin is falling behind again. I think it peaked somewhere between the 90s and last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd say they are aligned right down the middle, wouldn't you?

Chu will be a Soc Dem before the summer is out. Catherine Martin will lead whats left of the Greens by Christmas.

It wouldn't surprise me to see her toss her hat in the ring to replace the Hobbit in the park when he retires - on behalf of all the minorities of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Elmo wrote: »
    I assumed it was a general law across the country that you couldn't drink in public places.

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/32178/1/Intox%20Bye-Laws%202008.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me to see her toss her hat in the ring to replace the Hobbit in the park when he retires - on behalf of all the minorities of course!

:pac: I can see the posters now "Vote for me or you're a racist".

She is a terrible politician, but her contemporaries aren't much better, she's just another flavour of crap Irish politician.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok, we get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you want to know why the Tories are 16 points ahead, even while being a circus. Why the Left has died as a credible electoral force in many of its European Social Democratic bases. Use Chu as an example, one of an awful lot one could pick but thread context.

She thrives on hostility against party colleagues. against everything and everyone. If it can be made a public media dumpster fire, the better.

The Party may be getting places, a chance of becoming a serious electoral force and implementer of policy and she goes on a solo Seanad run, no chance but start a fire on the ship, Great craic and publicity. Drive on the division in the Party, rather than make it an actual force for change.

The common thread is the need to be front and centre, to be the moral warrior in shining army, to be acknowledged as that.

A friend who was a long standing volunteer often spoke about his admiration for those who sheltered him,hid arms, bought goods etc, often at risk of Life long imprisonment, and they were just helping, not volunteers.

Didn't want a word of thanks, did their part, hard yards and much suffering and they are unknown and out there in large numbers.

Regardless of your views on the war in the North my point is that the type and motivation of committed activist has changed across the left, across all politics to a degree and countries. The many who were on the edges unknown, risking long jail time, while remaining unknown.

Front and centre at all times and if you don't know it, they'll make you know it,ya fash.

The wider left is so deeply broken that a decade might see it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm pretty sure it was the electorate that ended Lorraine Higgins political career and not the idiots throwing abuse and death threats.

nullzero wrote: »
    :pac: I can see the posters now "Vote for me or you're a racist".

Worked for Biden :pac:

Worked for Biden :pac:

Yeah if you don't vote for me you ain't black.... C'mon man....

They could really fix themselves over there and put someone in that will care for the people.

He is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There may be another Seanad by election if Bacik or Boylan win....

If only there was a deal that FF and FG would stand aside to allow the greens win.....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Ah yes, thought so. True colours are shining through now.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's a bit unfair. She also knows how to write race baiting posts on twitter and make herself the self appointed champion of women and minorities.

Do you think every woman who defends herself or comments on something publicly thinks they are the self appointed champion of women and minorities?

What is it about Hazel that makes you think she sees herself in this way?

She gets some pretty horrific stuff sent to here, by mail and on Twitter as well, a lot of it mysognistic and racist based on the few examples she has shared publicly.

Should she not do this?

Everyone is an expert on calling out politicians and saying what is wrong with them from behind an anonymous account, suggesting they should shut up and not defend themselves is about what I'd expect from the sort of people who do this.

Do you think every woman who defends herself or comments on something publicly thinks they are the self appointed champion of women and minorities?

She gets some pretty horrific stuff sent to here, by mail and on Twitter as well, a lot of it mysognistic and racist based on the few examples she has shared publicly.

Should she not do this?

Everyone is an expert on calling out politicians and saying what is wrong with them from behind an anonymous account, suggesting they should shut up and not defend themselves is about what I'd expect from the sort of people who do this.
    She does, but in a similar vein to Donald Trump, who also got reams of abuse, she does herself no favours. She is a race baiter, who clearly doesn't care about her party, and only seems to care for herself. She's thrown the greens under the bus by doing what she has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Should she not do this?

She has every right to defend herself and I think you'd go a long way before finding anyone here who feels she should be subjected to any type of abuse and I think you know that quite well.

What she doesn't have the right to do is weigh in on every issue she feels like and make blanket statements about Irish society that have no basis in reality and only serve to create the type of divide she claims exists in this country.

She is part of a cadre of people (who going by past interactions on this site, you also belong to) that want everyone seeing far right extremists in our corn flakes every morning.

The truth is that far right extremism is not a real issue in this country, our only political party that fits that description were made a mockery of in our last general election.

You making this into an issue of people not wanting Hazel Chu to defend herself is disingenuous in the extreme.

Nobody feels anyone should be exposed to racist or misogynistic rhetoric and they have every right to defend themselves if and when they are. That is not the issue people have with Hazel Chu and well you know it. Shame on you for attempting to skew the argument in that fashion.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

There's a huge amount of hate and anger amongst men in the 30s and 40s for Hazel. Her crime. Existing and speaking out loud.

Dinosaurs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement