Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

There's a huge amount of hate and anger amongst men in the 30s and 40s for Hazel. Her crime. Existing and speaking out loud.

Dinosaurs.

Men eh?

They're the worst. All their generalisations about sexes....

Wooly mammoths.

There's a huge amount of hate and anger amongst men in the 30s and 40s for Hazel. Her crime. Existing and speaking out loud.

Dinosaurs.

You also spelled "race-baiting" and "playing the victim card" incorrectly.

Sabre Tooth Tigers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Conduct your own study did you paddy??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Men eh?

They're the worst. All their generalisations about sexes....

Wooly mammoths.

I personally have no issue with generalizations if everyone is allowed to make them, even if some of them are horsehit. Saying that, I remember many posters getting cards on feminism threads for making milder generalisations towards women.

All the same, said poster has likely lived under a few bridges in his time, so the bait should not be taken. Even the serious ones should not annoy us either, as they come from bitter people who deserve our pity.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dinosaurs.

Sexist remark isn't it.....

Lot of women have no time for her either

Sexist remark isn't it.....

Lot of women have no time for her either

None of this matters, stop trying to even justify your position. They don't care. They know what they are doing, and simply want a rise from other posters.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    None of this matters, stop trying to even justify your position. They don't care. They know what they are doing, and simply want a rise from other posters.

What have I said wrong

What have I said wrong

Nothing. I'm saying that you're talking to a wall, as they are impervious to reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dinosaurs.
    She's welcome to do both, but she wants to be taken seriously as well. She's a very average councillor exploiting her position for a variety of agendas and is little more than an empty vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dinosaurs.
    Have another pint, Losty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

There is a world of abuse aimed at Hazel Chu. There are some racists/misogynists in Ireland. She is right to defend herself against them.

She is also the epitome of the self promoting public representative. She's not alone, the majority of those in an elected office are like this. The system encourages this behaviour.

KaneToad wrote: »
    There is a world of abuse aimed at Hazel Chu. There are some racists/misogynists in Ireland. She is right to defend herself against them.

She is also the epitome of the self promoting public representative. She's not alone, the majority of those in an elected office are like this. The system encourages this behaviour.

She's the real world equivalent of meme of the feminist throwing **** over a wall and being surprised that it comes back. I'd guess that she'd go completely under the radar if it wasn't for the fact she invokes race and gender at every opportunity. If not one of these "abusers" existed, she'd still be saying the exact same stuff, so please don't try and frame her of as a victim of the system, when she's an aggressor who get aggression thrown back at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Shes a terrible politician. Even the Greens see that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

KaneToad wrote: »

There are horrible people online. But they affect everyone. One straight white male minister was harassed online and some linked it to his suicide a few years ago. The problem is shehad madeit her raison d'être. There is something very alluring being the victim and she is mining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Shes a terrible politician. Even the Greens see that now.

In all seriousness I’d say Chu has lost a significant amount of support and trust within the Greens for her Seanad Carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Marcos

Larbre34 wrote: »

Chu will be a Soc Dem before the summer is out.

Her real party is Mé Féinn.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

In all seriousness I’d say Chu has lost a significant amount of support and trust within the Greens for her Seanad Carry on

Her victim act is wearing thin at this stage and she has very little else to keep herself relevant. Maybe if she spent less time race baiting and less time being a selfish selfserving elected representive and d more time being a hard working elevted official Id have more respect for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I have no hatred for Hazel Chu as I don't know her personally despite what my stalking troll posted in this thread. I do however have a strong dislike for her and her other Green party colleagues - Catherine Martin, Neasa Hourigan and Roderic O'Gorman, as I feel that they are driving away many people - myself included - who would always have voted Green in the past.

The sooner there's a spilt in the Greens the happier I'll be - Hazel Chu and Catherine Martin off to FG and the other two off anywhere, just out of the Green Party ASAP.

Ah, so as long as they are white, middle aged heterosexual males it fine then.
    Gotcha...

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

She got more public toilets for Dublin CC in fairness to her, albeit a little late, the place has absolutely reeked of piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nullzero wrote: »
    She has every right to defend herself and I think you'd go a long way before finding anyone here who feels she should be subjected to any type of abuse and I think you know that quite well.

What she doesn't have the right to do is weigh in on every issue she feels like and make blanket statements about Irish society that have no basis in reality and only serve to create the type of divide she claims exists in this country.

She is part of a cadre of people (who going by past interactions on this site, you also belong to) that want everyone seeing far right extremists in our corn flakes every morning.

The truth is that far right extremism is not a real issue in this country, our only political party that fits that description were made a mockery of in our last general election.

You making this into an issue of people not wanting Hazel Chu to defend herself is disingenuous in the extreme.

Nobody feels anyone should be exposed to racist or misogynistic rhetoric and they have every right to defend themselves if and when they are. That is not the issue people have with Hazel Chu and well you know it. Shame on you for attempting to skew the argument in that fashion.

So it's only the people who you agree with and Hazel, and myself apparently should STFU?
    To use a similar acronym GTFO.

Is me asking a single question pointing out some facts of this situation making it an issue? Is this an invite only thread or something? Do you feel triggered?

You are right, the far right is not a real issue in this country, they are a pathetic crowd of degnerates for the most part, but they and people who loosely give credence to their position through soft and tacit agreement with some of their points in what they think is a more acceptable tone have been growing more vocal over the last couple of years and should be called out for what they are.

And if you think that an educated woman who holds a public office does not have the right to weigh in on what issue she sees fit while anonymous accounts can start thread after thread on them, then I've got news for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ah, so as long as they are white, middle aged heterosexual males it fine then.
    Gotcha...

The Greens, across Europe, Ireland and Britain are overwhelmingly White and upper middle class.

Even in cities like London where White English rich are a small minority. The party is near all well heeled white.

The Left in general now is a movement of the middle class and it's activists are disproportionately white middle class.

It's a very unusual thing that those who always talk about working class politics, working class this or that, are Nearly always now from the top 3rd of society, at least.

The older you go, the less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So it's only the people who you agree with and Hazel, and myself apparently should STFU?
    To use a similar acronym GTFO.

Is me asking a single question pointing out some facts of this situation making it an issue? Is this an invite only thread or something? Do you feel triggered?

You are right, the far right is not a real issue in this country, they are a pathetic crowd of degnerates for the most part, but they and people who loosely give credence to their position through soft and tacit agreement with some of their points in what they think is a more acceptable tone have been growing more vocal over the last couple of years and should be called out for what they are.

And if you think that an educated woman who holds a public office does not have the right to weigh in on what issue she sees fit while anonymous accounts can start thread after thread on them, then I've got news for you.

The whiff of self righteousness is overpowering as usual.

I never said anyone needs to STFU as you so colourfully put it. Hazel likes to weigh in on issues like say the George Nkencho case which she has every right to comment on and use it as a means of pushing an agenda which serves to do more harm than good.

As for whether I feel triggered? The irony of you feeling you have the right to make those type of comments, and the comment about whether this is an invitation only thread are laughable. If I post something you disagree with you can call it into question, and vice versa. Just because I didn't treat your post with the reverence you feel it deserved doesn't mean I was triggered by it, you need to get your head out of the clouds with that sort of nonsense.

The notion that Ireland is a hotbed of racism and discrimination is not based in fact. As you pointed out yourself the far right in Ireland is pathetic. The notion that their views are given credence by people agreeing with their "more acceptable" points is something that also has no basis in reality, I cant recall anyone talking about the National Party in any positive way at all.

The nub of the issue with Hazel Chu and her outspoken demeanour is that as an educated public official she has a responsibility to moderate what she says. She has often made inflammatory comments that have served to stoke tensions instead of calming the situation.

If her position of making sweeping comments was a responsible stance all politicians would be at it. As things stand she's like a left wing Irish Donald Trump, too trigger happy with her Twitter account and not giving due consideration to what she posts.

If you think that our elected officials should be stoking tensions in our society then whatever news you think you have for me or the wider community here is likely to be rigorously scrutinised.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hhhhh wrote: »
    She does, but in a similar vein to Donald Trump, who also got reams of abuse, she does herself no favours. She is a race baiter, who clearly doesn't care about her party, and only seems to care for herself. She's thrown the greens under the bus by doing what she has.

Wrong. She's doing it for her daughter now actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Listening to Eamonn Ryan, it's obvious the Greens are soft on scumbags.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

When he gets knocked off his self esteem powered vehicle by a scummer he will know all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Annasopra wrote: »
    There may be another Seanad by election if Bacik or Boylan win....

If only there was a deal that FF and FG would stand aside to allow the greens win.....

If Bacik wins, it's a TCD Seanad seat, so even if FF and FG stand aside, the Greens have no chance of winning. The seat will be probably be won by a woke leftie, or possibly by one of Lynn Ruane's mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She just can't seem to help herself when it comes to getting a dig at the Gardai, showed a clip of her on the news suggesting how they dealt with the scrotes causing trouble was heavy handed.

We probably have one of the most restrained police forces in the world, anywhere else if pricks threw bottles and gave the abuse Gardai have to put up with they would know what heavy handed really was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Unlike the other mainstream parties who are really tough on crime....Lol...decades of pussyfooting about coming down hard on all crime has us in the present mess.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Unlike the other mainstream parties who are really tough on crime....Lol...decades of pussyfooting about coming down hard on all crime has us in the present mess.

True.

But Ryans comments today were so misjudged with how the majority of people view the incident.

No one wants to see riot police in action, but Ive no doubt it was needed against 200 idiots attacking the AGS.

Where were all these Gardai when BLM was going their thing....
    We can't have such a division going on....

Irish had absolutely nothing to do with oppression of black people.

• Advertisement

She just can't seem to help herself when it comes to getting a dig at the Gardai, showed a clip of her on the news suggesting how they dealt with the scrotes causing trouble was heavy handed.

We probably have one of the most restrained police forces in the world, anywhere else if pricks threw bottles and gave the abuse Gardai have to put up with they would know what heavy handed really was.

Happily, she'll be gone from the Mansion House at the end of the month when the "Dublin Agreement" Councilors will, no doubt, inflict another dud Councillor on us as our new Lord Mayor.

I wonder how Chu will manage to maintain her high media profile after her term of office ends. Maybe she'd consider participating in Ireland's Fittest Family.

°°°°°

Happily, she'll be gone from the Mansion House at the end of the month when the "Dublin Agreement" Councilors will, no doubt, inflict another dud Councillor on us as our new Lord Mayor.

I wonder how Chu will manage to maintain her high media profile after her term of office ends. Maybe she'd consider participating in Ireland's Fittest Family.

She could pitch a new show to RTE "Ireland's Most Marginalised Family".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm sure she'll find a nice role with an NGO or something and continue to tweet stuff that only causes the very division and polarisation she's supposedly against.

RTE and the others will continue to give her a platform as well

Live from the Mansion House

Follow enda on the Chu Chu trails

The first time I heard of her is when she called the Gardai racist.

Incidentally, that was the last time I heard anything she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Well, hello Senator McCarthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The first time I heard of her is when she called the Gardai racist.

Incidentally, that was the last time I heard anything she said.

First time I really heard of Hazel was when she made a big deal out of teenage girls not following a school uniform policy in Carlow. She came across as an over the top parent gossiping at the school wall!

First time I really heard of Hazel was when she made a big deal out of teenage girls not following a school uniform policy in Carlow. She came across as an over the top parent gossiping at the school wall!

IIRC, she (and her fellow first class passenger on the SS WokeArseh0le, Labour's Morón Ó'Riordán) made complete fools of themselves over that one and were publicly humiliated* when the facts came out.

* EDIT: or would have been completely humilated if either of them was capable of feeling embarrassment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/n5eyxm/hazel_chu_never_apologised_to_the_carlow_teachers/

IIRC, she (and her fellow first class passenger on the SS WokeArseh0le, Labour's Morón Ó'Riordán) made complete fools of themselves over that one and were publicly humiliated* when the facts came out.

* EDIT: or would have been completely humilated if either of them was capable of feeling embarrassment.

It looks to me they actually believe their own sh1te so they actually can do no wrong it seems....

Bit like biden, he is in no fit state to be the world's most powerful man, sure after working in the senate for 120 years he is understandably tired.....

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

That whole incident illustrated the need to verify facts before wading into a discussion.

If some eejit that nobody knows had waded in saying what Hazel Chu had said in relation to that incident nobody would care, it's just another ill informed cretin with no insight making sweeping statements.

Hazel Chu however is an elected official, working in a jurisdiction far removed from Carlow as it happens trying to make as much noise as possible to make sure she is seen to be involved in any issue in any way connected to what is perceived as related to social justice topics.

Had she done her due diligence on that situation she firstly wouldn't have waded in making stupid statements that assumed professional teaching staff were guilty of some form of repugnant paraphilia that made them targets for the ire of the entire nation. Instead she would have garnered as many FACTS as possible and made a balanced and reasonable statement.

Supposedly Hazel Chu only defends herself from racists slurs (which she should do, racists are idiots) and never says anything ridiculous or slanderous /libellous. The fact is although she is occasionally the victim of mindless idiots (I'm looking at you Justin Barrett and your missus) doesn't excuse how she gladly indulges her own nonsensical inclinations whenever the opportunity presents itself.

This is not the standard we should be holding our elected officials to(yeah I know out politicians aren't wonderful by and large but that's another discussion) and her continued involvement in political life in this country will not be tolerated if she continually indulges herself with the type of self promoting thoughtless nonsense she's been involving herself in thus far.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Acosta

That whole incident illustrated the need to verify facts before wading into a discussion.

Indeed. And some of her biggest critics around these parts should try doing the same next time they're about to share or 'thank' unsubstantiated rumours related to very serious incidents, which turn out to be lies.

°°°°°

Acosta wrote: »
    Indeed. And some of her biggest critics around these parts should try doing the same next time they're about to share or 'thank' unsubstantiated rumours related to very serious incidents, which turn out to be lies.

Meaning?

Glazers Out!

Pure deflection. Those people aren't in power, the same standards don't apply to them. Regardless, what exactly have they been wrong about? Or are you just speaking generally, in some sort of attempt to do some "both sides" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Hazel wants it every way, she's responsible for everything good and nothing bad and blows with the wind. She plays all the cards in the deck and expects everyone to roll over for her. No backbone, not sincere and only in it for herself.

Meaning?

There was a lot of lies posted here regarding the shooting in Dublin at Christmas for example. I didn't see any of the regular right wing posters take issue with any of it.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Pure deflection. Those people aren't in power, the same standards don't apply to them. Regardless, what exactly have they been wrong about? Or are you just speaking generally, in some sort of attempt to do some "both sides" nonsense.

It's not deflecting to point out the irony that posters here and across social media who tend to shout the loudest and keep banging on about the school incident are only too happy to share misinformation or see it posted on here bout very serious incidents that usually haven't even gone to the courts yet.

But that also doesn't mean she wasn't wrong and stupid to jump the gun with the school comment.

°°°°°

There was a lot of lies posted here regarding the shooting in Dublin at Christmas for example. I didn't see any of the regular right wing posters take issue with any of it.

Lies were flying around on both sides tbf.
    There were plenty of people making statements about ingrained racism in the Gardai and making comparisons with the George Floyd incident, neither of which had any basis in fact.

Back to the discussion at hand, I'll hold Hazel Chu an elected representative (who as it happens was happy to pour petrol on the fire of the George Nkencho case) to a higher standard than some posters on this site.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

LOL that got a chuckle out of me.

Credit to Hazel for her recent work. She's a credit to her city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Credit to Hazel for her recent work. She's a credit to her city.

LOL that got a chuckle out of me.

Can you list the achievements she’s delivered for Dublin?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement