Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

keano_afc wrote: »
    When her term as mayor ends, she'll either beg the Social Democrats to take her in or get a role with some money pit like the NWCI. She's be perfect at finding ways to waste taxpayer money.

ah the greens could be in a completely different place by then, how does she current waste money?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah the greens could be in a completely different place by then, how does she current waste money?

Her salary.

Her salary.

what do you mean?

what do you mean?

Paying her is a waste of taxpayers money.

Paying her is a waste of taxpayers money.

why, should the mayor work for free, or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

what might help her is if she had clearly defined tasks as should any position, but in this case the mayoral one, instead of spending her time on her personal agenda.
    That way the taxpayers money spent on her postion might be voewed as less of a waste.
    People elected in are figurehead representatives, the real actual work is always done by someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think the poster is suggesting the Mayor is doing such a poor job they are a waste of money.

1874 wrote: »
    what might help her is if she had clearly defined tasks as should any position, but in this case the mayoral one, instead of spending her time on her personal agenda.
    That way the taxpayers money spent on her postion might be voewed as less of a waste.
    People elected in are figurehead representatives, the real actual work is always done by someone else.

is it really, who says? ive always seen it as an ambassador type role, and since humans generally do the job, they all bring their own 'personal agenda' with it!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think the poster is suggesting the Mayor is doing such a poor job they are a waste of money.

thats fair enough i guess, but i guess that is their opinion on it, and theyre well entitled to it

• Advertisement

thats fair enough i guess, but i guess that is their opinion on it, and theyre well entitled to it

Thats very obvious. We all are.

The majority in here believe Chu is doing a poor job. Id tend to agree.

A very selfish, self serving person. We need less Chu.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Thats very obvious. We all are.

The majority in here believe Chu is doing a poor job. Id tend to agree.

A very selfish, self serving person. We need less Chu.

do they really, have all members of boards been asked this, i certainly dont remember being?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

do they really, have all members of boards been asked this, i certainly dont remember being?

I think that only the grown ups were asked.

I think that only the grown ups were asked.

thats interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

is it too late for a vote?

Was this a breech of the current Covid restrictions ?

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1402273744735944714

• Advertisement

Was this a breach of the current Covid restrictions ?

“When I interpret a Covid restriction" Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

With thanks to Lewis Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im surprised she used the term mother, 126 people with breasts surely?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Chestfeeders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

silverharp wrote: »
    Im surprised she used the term mother, 126 people with breasts surely?

What if they don't identify as human? I think 126 entities would be more appropriate.

Stop being obtuse, its clear the majority if people who have contributed to this thread feel Chu is a piss poor politician.

You dont agree? Thats cool. But fact is you are in the minority.

• Advertisement

Id say yes on the face of it. Need more facts to get a better determination.

But I imagine she wont get challenged on it by a reporter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 delldelivery

126. So presumably that's 60 mothers and their babies (allowing for a few twins)

A lot of people in a small space.

I'm sure Hazel knows best. She is a mother after all.

Great PR exercise for Hazel Chu Ltd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Great to see her give buggies a day they deserve for all the work they do.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

She was awful. Worst self serving mayor since Royston Brady. No policies, no vision, no gravitas, no loyalty. Just one long whine about hazel issues.... Thankfully she's gone in a couple of weeks but God knows what will replace her.

Obsessed about some lunatic fringe on the right but gave those particular dickheads more airtime than necessary and continues to. Foolish tactic unless she was just after attention....

When the Dublin bay South field became predominantly female it became clear she had nothing different to offer the wider public except proven disloyalty to the GP.

Still busily seeking attention - even on the eve of her wedding!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40317980.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

She'll go through the family tree now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The best thing people could do is ignore her.

She just like Gemma and those other loons but apparently from other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Disloyal to her party leader

Walks out on her party colleagues to run as an Independent for the Seanad

Explores an opportunity to run as a TD and fails to get selected and no harm in that but how many bridges were burned trying to usurp a councillor with 5 more years experience in the area and on the ground?

I wonder why she is in the Green Party at all. Or any party, she should be an Independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Disloyal to her party leader

Walks out on her party colleagues to run as an Independent

Explores an opportunity to run as a TD and fail to get selected and no harm in that but how many bridges were burned trying to usurp a councillor with 5 more years experience?

I wonder why she is in the Green Party at all. Or any party, she should be an Independent

She's a self-serving opportunist and one of a number of reasons that my intended membership fee for the Green Party remains in my bank account and looks like to remain there for the foreseeable. The Green Party needs a major bloodletting DUP style nothing else will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

She's toxic at this stage. People - sane ones anyway - can see through her self-serving agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

A few weeks ago I was watching Reeling In the Years from 2015 or so and they featured a very short bit with the then mayor of Dublin. Criona something her name was.

I didn't remember.

In fact, as a born and raised Dub of 37 years young I can't recall a single mayor apart from possibly Christy Burke, Micheal Mac Donnocha and Royston Brady.

And that's only because of Royston's daft name, and because a shinner mate of mine is good mates with Mac Donnocha.. The only time Mac D made the national news was his jaunt to Israel and his comments about the IRFU.

I would seriously bet that on the Irish Times Hazel Chu has more articles mentioning her than they have mentioning, since his election, Joe Biden.

I am no particular fan of Biden, but that a local county councillor in an honoury role should have more national media mentions than the US president is nothing short of a campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

In fact, as a born and raised Dub of 37 years young I can't recall a single mayor apart from possibly Christy Burke, Micheal Mac Donnocha and Royston Brady.

And that's only because of Royston's daft name,

Surely you remember Alderman Carmencita Hederman?

If daft names are what you're after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A few weeks ago I was watching Reeling In the Years from 2015 or so and they featured a very short bit with the then mayor of Dublin. Criona something her name was.

I didn't remember.

Críona Ní Dhálaigh

She isn't a councillor since last year. Only Lord Mayor I ever met. Was at a charity concert and she was kind to everyone and give a nice speech

She did her job well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Surely you remember Alderman Carmencita Hederman?

If daft names are what you're after :)

Or Carmencita Hederperson as the Phoenix used to refer to her - they were away head of the Woke brigade! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Mayors I remember:

Royston Brady (uncommon name)
    Carmencita Hederman (uncommon name)
    Ben Brsicoe (uncommon name)

Can you see the trend?

It's a very insignificant public rep role with very little power. Some are attracted to it for the opportunity to make change (albeit the opportunity is miniscule) while others are attracted to it for the opportunity to put themselves in the spotlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

KaneToad wrote: »
    Mayors I remember:

Royston Brady (uncommon name)
    Carmencita Hederman (uncommon name)
    Ben Brsicoe (uncommon name)

Can you see the trend?

It's a very insignificant public rep role with very little power. Some are attracted to it for the opportunity to make change (albeit the opportunity is miniscule) while others are attracted to it for the opportunity to put themselves in the spotlight.

Mayors are traditionally voted in by fellow Councillors on an agreed rotational basis, e.g. Fine Gael's turn in 2019, Fianna Fail's turn in 2020, Labour's turn in 2021.

It is a ceremonial position. Wining and dining, wearing the robes and chain, etc.

The people of Limerick will be choosing a Directly Elected Mayor in autumn 2021. The new mayor will have significant powers, like a Saddiq Khan or Michael Bloomberg.

Limerick's new mayor will be able to effect change and act like a Chief Executive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

No doubt we’ve got dozens of wannabe Boris Johnsons waiting in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Great to see Hazel and her husband enjoy their wedding this weekend.

People here upset that she has the temerity to speak out about her mother being called a ch*nk :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Or Carmencita Hederperson as the Phoenix used to refer to her - they were away head of the Woke brigade! :D

I think you'll find she started that herself as satire and it was Carpersoncita Hederperson

https://mobile.twitter.com/killianm2/status/1363460394443014149

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

People here upset that she has the temerity to speak out about her mother being called a ch*nk :rolleyes:

Who? Which poster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't think anyone is upset.

If you were to ask me I'd just say it was a strange thing to bring up on, or just before, your wedding day that your mother was called a derogatory name 30 years ago.

Maybe she thought that her wedding wasn't getting the attention in the national media that she felt it deserved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I don't think anyone is upset.

If you were to ask me I'd just say it was a strange thing to bring up on, or just before, your wedding day that your mother was called a derogatory name 30 years ago.

Maybe she thought that her wedding wasn't getting the attention in the national media that she felt it deserved?

Her wedding is getting plenty of national coverage which is lovely to see

Hazel is extremely hard working and no reason why she wouldn't continue to fight against fascists and racism on the day before her wedding.

It's obvious it's the message people don't like. The day it is delivered doesn't matter.

Hazel is extremely hard working and no reason why she wouldn't continue to fight against fascists and racism on the day before her wedding.

It's obvious it's the message people don't like. The day it is delivered doesn't matter.

Why is it lovely to see a politician's wedding getting loads of publicity? I 'd much rather be in the French camp than the UK camp on these matters. I don't want to hear about their personal lives. I don't care about their human side. I want to see their policy platforms and their worldviews and I absolute dont want to hear where they went for dates or how they are coping with the lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fighting against fascists me hole. It's only trying to jump on a victim bandwagon for her own benefit - which is really simply profiting off the backs of genuine victims

• Advertisement

Fighting against fascists me hole. It's only trying to jump on a victim bandwagon for her own benefit - which is really simply profiting off the backs of genuine victims

I think I agree with you on many things but I slightly disagree here. It is a bandwagon but it is probably an issue that she is quite sincere about. The problem, is politicians have only so much political capital, only so much poweder in their horns. Opening a door closes another door. Middle class politicians using theirs own capital on discrimination, just isnt the most inspiring of politician visions for me. The Greens are one of the few parties with a coherent policy vision and its immensely popular, in Ireland and international. It is very they are so transfer friendly so she has a very clear road to success if she sticks to the script. It just seems very unstrategic on to me to be taking a different vision. then again I presume she has much knowledge advisors than me! So I could be very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Surely her wedding is surely a private affair no?

Hazel Chu fighting against fascism (we don't really have any issues with that in this country as our only far right party was made a mockery of in last years general election) isn't an issue for anyone, it's her willingness to jump on any story without giving it sufficient thought beforehand that's the problem, which isn't a trait people look for in their elected representatives.

It will be interesting to see how she keeps herself in the spotlight going forward, perhaps she will become a talking head in Irish media for all things discrimination et al.
    Hard to see her persisting as a politician going forward, which is nice to see.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hazel is a genuine victim. She has been continuously attacked with racism by Justin Barrett and His wife.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m struggling to recall a Lord mayor who is as obsessed with media exposure than this one.

I will be glad to see the back of her.

Can anyone point to any initiative/policy she can take credit for in her term as mayor ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Annasopra wrote: »
    I think you'll find she started that herself as satire and it was Carpersoncita Hederperson

https://mobile.twitter.com/killianm2/status/1363460394443014149

Ooooh I love her. The little lick at the end of the comment too :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement