Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Outside of hoping them well I’m failing to see why this is getting as much attention as it is. People get married in this country and around the world every day. I remember that Mary Harney got married and if I recall correctly it was a very low key affair and it was reported about after the fact. I see the Lord Mayor of Dublin Twitter account tweeted about it which was strange to me.

She was outside the mansion house in her wedding dress and the mayoral chains ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Her wedding is getting plenty of national coverage which is lovely to see

Hazel is extremely hard working and no reason why she wouldn't continue to fight against fascists and racism on the day before her wedding.

It's obvious it's the message people don't like. The day it is delivered doesn't matter.

Ive no problem with her fighting against racism, I take issue that it appears that most wrong doings against her are attributed to racism or her gender. She wants to appear like a social justice warrior but in realty shes a race baiter.

She jumped the gun on the Nchnko shooting for example, shouting racism when A) there was no evidence to suggest race was a factor and B) it was by all accounts a by the book operation by Garda.

Thats not fighting racism, thats pouring fuel on the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fandymo wrote: »
    She was outside the mansion house in her wedding dress and the mayoral chains ffs.

The Lord Mayor of Dublin getting married and posing outside the Mansion House wearing chain of office is newsworthy all day long.

Good luck to the happy couple I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin getting married and posing outside the Mansion House wearing chain of office is newsworthy all day long.

for good or bad reasons?

Dublin Lord Mayor doesn't usually get so much attention. It's a minor role agreed by politicians' in the City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Jayzus, when was the last time a Lord Mayor got married while in office? It's a bit newsworthy to be fair, it tends to fall into the 'And finally....' category, but so what. As someone who tweets about every inane detail of her life it's obvious she's going to tweet about it. It's also obvious that the Lord Mayor's Twitter account will mention it as well, as it's an unusual story.

Anyway, best of luck to her, her husband and the child in their new family unit.

FWIW I don't rate her as a politician, but there's a lot of ridiculous stuff written about her wedding over the past few pages.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    for good or bad reasons?

Dublin Lord Mayor doesn't usually get so much attention. It's a minor role agreed by politicians' in the City Council.

Good as in a "good news story".

As "first citizen" of the capital city there is usually a fair bit of coverage of the Lord Mayor.

To be fair while the office is largely ceremonial there is a lot of history and tradition attached to the office.

Also it has attracted some political heavyweights in the past including one Bertie Ahern.

Your point about the method of election is well made.

Directly elected Mayor anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The woman has just got married and there is a pile on asking her to apologise for believing a story reported by multiple media source. Total witch hunt. Hopefully Hazel ignores as I'm sure she has better things to do in the days after her wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The woman has just got married and there is a pile on asking her to apologise for believing a story reported by multiple media source. Total witch hunt. Hopefully Hazel ignores as I'm sure she has better things to do in the days after her wedding.

Yes I agree the Carlow teacher story was a total witch hunt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

She isn’t being asked to apologise for believing something paddy. She’s being asked to apologise for her own ignorant comments. It’s not a big ask either, though your typical melodramatic reaction suggests otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

She was happy to engage in a witch hunt herself without giving due consideration to the consequences of her actions, and let's not forget this is a woman who describes herself in her twitter blurb as "trained as barrister", who one would assume is aware of what libel is, and an elected public official to boot.

I'm afraid Hazel deserves the backlash she's receiving, and if anything it has been too muted thus far.

I'm sure she's going to enjoy her honeymoon, she doesn't have a whole lot of political engagements to worry about once it's over however so I'm sure she will have plenty of time to pay attention to what's being said and maybe she'll take stock of what brought her to this juncture.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She deleted the tweet, but hasn't yet apologised for it, it seems.

https://twitter.com/ElaineByrne/status/1407404779291254785

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

KevRossi wrote: »

to her credit?:eek:
    WTF? deleting the tweet is cowardly behaviour
    Tweet should stand with apology also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

At this stage apologies are meaningless .. if you have to be asked to apologise it isn’t an apology.

So at this stage polling on Chu is a fruitless and childish action and she should just be ignored and when she goes up for election it will come out in the wash and she can answer in a public forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The worst part of her tweet was “do better”. It’s so pious. Anyone who says that is generally a melt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

1. No she hasnt
    2. That is the worst way out, its pretending it didnt happen rather than apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Tweet is still available. I was able to pull it up this morning. Search “Hazel Chu Do Better” on Twitter and it’s one of the first subtweets to come up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 delldelivery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nearly 2k likes. Shameful.

Witch hunt? Nope.

She , as usual, she jumps the gun with her virtue signaling without getting facts right or any research.

She should apologise, but she wont. No accountability ..... yet she screams that the Guards, employers, the general public should be held accountability for their actions.... yet she doesnt think it applies to herself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

The evidence suggests that she did most of those "better things" long before she bothered to avail of the Mansion House to facilitate her wedding.

And so it came to pass that Chu-chu was superseded in the Mayoral Stakes.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40322141.html

*mod snip - less of the fat shaming*

Good luck to her. Surely she can look at Chu and learn from her mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Good luck to her. Surely she can look at Chu and learn from her mistakes.

So far anyway Uruemu Adejinmi doesn't seem to be massively invested in intersectionalism. She seems more a like normal person thankfully. Although I must crticise the media for some of the false headlines ie. the Irish Times claims she is the first migrant, first African and first black female to become Mayor. She isnt. Only the first black woman. We had a black majoy 2007.

So far anyway Uruemu Adejinmi doesn't seem to be massively invested in intersectionalism. She seems more a like normal person thankfully. Although I must crticise the media for some of the false headlines ie. the Irish Times claims she is the first migrant, first African and first black female to become Mayor. She isnt. Only the first black woman. We had a black majoy 2007.

The headline in the Irish Times is not false.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/first-black-female-african-mayor-in-state-elected-1.4602861

The wording is slightly different in the print edition referring to to her as " the first migrant, first African and first black female to become mayor in Longford".

I presume you are referring to the former Mayor of Laois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    The headline in the Irish Times is not false.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/first-black-female-african-mayor-in-state-elected-1.4602861

The wording is slightly different in the print edition referring to to her as " the first migrant, first African and first black female to become mayor in Longford".

I presume you are referring to the former Mayor of Laois.

There are two many firsts in this world. Just do your job effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The job should go to whoever has the best qualities and qualifications to do the role not a token entry because they are a woman, of colour or gay or trans or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The job should go to whoever has the best qualities and qualifications to do the role not a token entry because they are a woman, of colour or gay or trans or something.

The mayor's role is generally passed around between multiple councillors so they can all get their day in the sun (and increased expenses) in the lifetime of the council.

Elmo wrote: »
    There are two many firsts in this world. Just do your job effectively.

I wasn't commenting on that aspect of the matter.

I just put the record straight as regards the IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't wait to see the spin Hazel's staff will give the Carlow incident. Or perhaps they will just give it the silent treatment until people forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I believe Hazel's 1 year term is up in the next few days/ weeks. Seems like we have been hearing her brainfarts forever.

It's going to be strange going back to the status quo of not knowing who the mayor of Dublin is because they only get mentioned in the media once, maybe twice per year. As opposed to Hazel and her at times twice weekly full on profile interviews.

If she fails to get into the Dail or Seanad I would bet my life savings that she will attempt a presidential run in, 2025 is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I believe Hazel's 1 year term is up in the next few days/ weeks. Seems like we have been hearing her brainfarts forever.

It's going to be strange going back to the status quo of not knowing who the mayor of Dublin is because they only get mentioned in the media once, maybe twice per year. As opposed to Hazel and her at times twice weekly full on profile interviews.

If she fails to get into the Dail or Seanad I would bet my life savings that she will attempt a presidential run in, 2025 is it?

Like George Galloway etc She has cottoned on to the fact that campaigning is publicity and there is a power and high earning potential.

Politics as a star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

We won’t get an apology.

The sad fact it’s how the left leaning Twitterati work. It’s all a circle jerk of “being better” than everyone else. A total echo chamber of the worst kind.

Her tweet re: The Carlow Teachers got liked and RTed to beat the band. An apology won’t garner as many likes, RTs or back pats. Thus she’ll keep quiet. Bellowing your right on opinions from the pulpit is a lot sexier than being humble, measured or admitting you were wrong.

Social media for these public representatives is like a blood bank for vampires. At times It’s quest to go viral for being the best boy/girl/non-binary in class.

I measure my politicians on how credible they are. Non of them rowing back on this is weaselly, lacking conviction and shows their total lack of responsibility.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    We won’t get an apology.

The sad fact it’s how the left leaning Twitterati work. It’s all a circle jerk of “being better” than everyone else. A total echo chamber of the worst kind.

Her tweet re: The Carlow Teachers got liked and RTed to beat the band. An apology won’t garner as many likes, RTs or back pats. Thus she’ll keep quiet. Bellowing your right on opinions from the pulpit is a lot sexier than being humble, measured or admitting you were wrong.

Social media for these public representatives is like a blood bank for vampires. At times It’s quest to go viral for being the best boy/girl/non-binary in class.

I measure my politicians on how credible they are. Non of them rowing back on this is weaselly, lacking conviction and shows their total lack of responsibility.

Ireland today is a country where some very bitter, sour, joyless social outcast types have managed to get elected to positions and then use the position to wage war on a society they feel has abused and excluded them down the years, when in reality they were only ever excluded because they were hate filled moanbags with no sense of personal responsibility. With a particular aversion to genuinely working class people, men in particular.

Hazel Chu, Ruth Coppinger, Aodhan O'Riordan, Simon Harris, Brid Smith, the list goes on and on. Ably supported by a few hundred/ low thousand amount of reclusive losers who live on Twtter banging out 80, 90 thousand posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ireland today is a country where some very bitter, sour, joyless social outcast types.....

Sounds like you are describing yourself there.

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like you are describing yourself there.

Nope. I'm anti lockown and eagerly awaiting getting back to the pubs.

Can you say the same for any of the dry shytes I mentioned?

This Hot Press interview with Ruth says a lot

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/full-hot-press-interview-ruth-coppinger-td-22757759
    Who was your teenage crush growing up?

I thought that was all too girly. I don’t think I had any particular crush. I don’t think I ever had posters on the wall – and I’m not just saying that. I was never a posters on the wall type.

Too busy fighting the patriarchy to be spending her youth fancying Jason Donovan was our Ruth :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nope. I'm anti lockown and eagerly awaiting getting back to the pubs.

Can you say the same for any of the dry shytes I mentioned?

This Hot Press interview with Ruth says a lot

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/full-hot-press-interview-ruth-coppinger-td-22757759

Too busy fighting the patriarchy to be spending her youth fancying Jason Donovan was our Ruth :pac:

Holy Mother Ruth was concerned about fighting sin.

Like any Religion when it is taken too seriously it becomes a problem. For the person and those around them. That faith though drives people like Ruth and gives them a bigger impact than their support would suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think the 'Great Statesman' - Bertie Ahern - has that in his sights and his pals in the media are doing their best to give him a dig-out. :D

Danzy wrote: »
    Holy Mother Ruth was concerned about fighting sin.

Like any Religion when it is taken too seriously it becomes a problem. For the person and those around them. That faith though drives people like Ruth and gives them a bigger impact than their support would suggest.

She seems to have gotten even angrier and more bitter after losing her seat, if that is even possible. Ranting and raving about that shooting, demanding "justice", rants about Gardai and brutality, there's a fine line between her and Gemma tbh. Seems to have completely gave up on the native dole class of D15, still bitter that they refused to vote for her because she did nothing about social housing allocation to off the boaters. Still also seems convinced that she is a public representative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I think the 'Great Statesman' - Bertie Ahern - has that in his sights and his pals in the media are doing their best to give him a dig-out. :D

I'd be sick if he got it, the guy should be in Prison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Great news. Seems chu is moving out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Ireland today is a country where some very bitter, sour, joyless social outcast types have managed to get elected to positions and then use the position to wage war on a society they feel has abused and excluded them down the years, when in reality they were only ever excluded because they were hate filled moanbags with no sense of personal responsibility. With a particular aversion to genuinely working class people, men in particular.

Hazel Chu, Ruth Coppinger, Aodhan O'Riordan, Simon Harris, Brid Smith, the list goes on and on. Ably supported by a few hundred/ low thousand amount of reclusive losers who live on Twtter banging out 80, 90 thousand posts.

Yup. I have said before that I think you can trace the ideological origins of a lot of extremist types (but particularly the socialist types) back to their formative years in secondary school where invariably, they were a bit of a "loser", a bit of an outcast. They seem to be angry at life over this in adulthood. It's very sad.

Anecdotal but I even see it myself on Facebook. Lads i went to school with who were harmless enough but were outcast types, full blown socialists campaigning for PBP these days.

I have no doubt our Lord Mayor falls in that bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Child of immigrant parents evicted from city center dwelling by unscrupulous local authority.

Justice for Hazel.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They elect a new Mayor tomorrow (Monday)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Good riddance to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Good riddance to her

Yep, her time in the limelight is over.

Next month, it's her husband's turn to hog the headlines, as his case against parts of the CETA trade deal will be heard in the High Court.

(However, unlike his partner's witless twitterings, this case does appear to have some substance to it.)

...back to their formative years in secondary school where invariably, they were a bit of a "loser", a bit of an outcast. They seem to be angry at life over this in adulthood. It's very sad.

Anecdotal but I even see it myself on Facebook. Lads i went to school with who were harmless enough but were outcast types, full blown socialists campaigning for PBP these days.

I have no doubt our Lord Mayor falls in that bracket.

I think your theory is rubbish.

I was bullied in secondary school, called "loser" and treated like an outcast. I had no friends at all. I'm genuinely wondering what an "outcast type" is in your head? Did you just keep your head down and thank your lucky stars the kids so labelled were getting the grief from the bullies or were you one of the bullies? Those kids were just trying to avoid contact with their peers because they were frightened of how they'd be treated, I assure you.

Anyway, I got on great in college and am very happy now. I didn't turn into a socialist. I do still get angry at how I was treated, but I write it off to mostly dumb, childish behaviour, and cowardice with, granted, some genuinely horrible sorts amongst the bullies. I accept that people change as they mature and I think the bullies carry some guilt with them, which is no source of pleasure to me - I'd be happy to meet and talk about it with them. I would find it hard to forgive them but it would be good way to try to reconcile.

Again, your theory is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

She's on Newstalk with Andrea Gilligan busy saying I did this, I did that aren't I wonderful - they should give her another year. :rolleyes:

And she's staying with the Greens for the forseeable future and she wants to recruit more people from ethnic minorities to stand for the Greens - how about trying to get people with a commitment to environmental issues as opposed to social engineering into the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

She's on Newstalk with Andrea Gilligan busy saying I did this, I did that aren't I wonderful - they should give her another year. :rolleyes:

Was she asked about the tweet regarding the teachers in Carlow?

Shes so great she should get both parachutes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I think your theory is rubbish.

I was bullied in secondary school, called "loser" and treated like an outcast. I had no friends at all. I'm genuinely wondering what an "outcast type" is in your head? Did you just keep your head down and thank your lucky stars the kids so labelled were getting the grief from the bullies or were you one of the bullies? Those kids were just trying to avoid contact with their peers because they were frightened of how they'd be treated, I assure you.

Anyway, I got on great in college and am very happy now. I didn't turn into a socialist. I do still get angry at how I was treated, but I write it off to mostly dumb, childish behaviour, and cowardice with, granted, some genuinely horrible sorts amongst the bullies. I accept that people change as they mature and I think the bullies carry some guilt with them, which is no source of pleasure to me - I'd be happy to meet and talk about it with them. I would find it hard to forgive them but it would be good way to try to reconcile.

Again, your theory is rubbish.

I'm sorry to hear you were bullied. Good for you, you're not angry at life and realise kids can just be a**holes.

I did preface my theory by saying it was anecdotal, but where do you suggest the origins of the likes of Hazel's seeming hatred of Ireland comes from?

She has done rather well for herself in life but is still of the view that this is an oppressive, racist, sexist country. Those things exist here, for sure, but not to the extent that she would have you believe.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement