Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyway her big trip up is actually the event organized in Stephen's Green for the press to announce her candidacy. As a Dublin City Councilor and Mayor she should have known the rules around this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I get the impression she isn't receiving the universal approval she expected, especially from the media, so is resorting to damage limitation of "Oh I know I don't have a chance", "It's for my daughter" etc.

She knew from Day 1 that she wasn't going to get elected, it's a profile raising exercise. I mentioned before how she doesn't stand much chance of getting a GP seat in most of Dublin as they are held by established people and there's no constituency that will support 2 seats.

Which means she's either aiming for a Seanad seat (University Panel) at the next election, or she'll jump ship to the SD's, or her husband will make stand aside so that she can run in Dublin South Central (unlikely). Jumping to the SD's means she's in a very crowded constituency, so IMO she'll look for a Seanad seat in 2025, (probably earlier).

Which means she'll probably hit one of the two University Panels next time out and try to get a job for life as a Senator, waiting until the day she can get a decent shot at a Dail seat.

I don't see any other reason why she's running. It's worked either way, she's got the column inches and a number of interviews on radio and TV, so for that reason alone it's been a success for her.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    She should immediately resign as Lord Mayor. She cannot possibly give the important position as first citizen and Chair of Dublin City Council her full attention while campaigning for an election.

Deputy Lord Mayor Mary Callaghan should see out the remainder of the term as Lord Mayor until it ends in June.

I've no doubt you'll be calling on every other politician who seeks election to a different post, or any other public servant seeking election to resign immediately for the exact same reasons. I've also no doubt that you've been consistent about this in the past.

I don't have much time for Hazel Chu, I can't see what she's done over the past 9 months as Mayor that makes her stand out in a very positive way, but the amount of people calling for her to resign while she canvasses for the Seanad is a bit bizarre.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Which means she's either aiming for a Seanad seat (University Panel) at the next election, or she'll jump ship to the SD's, or her husband will make stand aside so that she can run in Dublin South Central (unlikely). Jumping to the SD's means she's in a very crowded constituency, so IMO she'll look for a Seanad seat in 2025, (probably earlier).

I don't see her moving to the SDs, she is a green and I'd say she will always be a green, she is their Chair and has shown her loyalty IMO. There are others in The Green Party that I thought might join the SDs but they seem to be creating a new party call Green Left.

I also thought the SDs would move on Green Party members to join SGDP Social & Green Democratic Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I've no doubt you'll be calling on every other politician who seeks election to a different post, or any other public servant seeking election to resign immediately for the exact same reasons. I've also no doubt that you've been consistent about this in the past.

I don't have much time for Hazel Chu, I can't see what she's done over the past 9 months as Mayor that makes her stand out in a very positive way, but the amount of people calling for her to resign while she canvasses for the Seanad is a bit bizarre.

She should have resigned after calling the Gards racist a few mins after the George incident.

Just politics IMO. In away I can see their point, it is not as if they are asking her to resign from the council. But agree if pervious mayor's have run in other elections as Mayor of Dublin then I see no reason for her to resign while she "campaigns".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

She knew from Day 1 that she wasn't going to get elected, it's a profile raising exercise. I mentioned before how she doesn't stand much chance of getting a GP seat in most of Dublin as they are held by established people and there's no constituency that will support 2 seats.

Which means she'll probably hit one of the two University Panels next time out and try to get a job for life as a Senator, waiting until the day she can get a decent shot at a Dail seat.

I don't see any other reason why she's running. It's worked either way, she's got the column inches and a number of interviews on radio and TV, so for that reason alone it's been a success for her.

I think she's Machiavellian enough to do all this.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To the detriment of her party.

Which is, IMO, unforgivable.

She should have resigned after calling the Gards racist a few mins after the George incident.

Agreed. And she could have done a lot more; like going out to Blanch with some of the other self styled black leaders like Ebun Joseph, and tried to appeal for calm and speak to the people out there. Might not be her juridstiction, but it is part of the wider city.

Her actions alone around the George Nkencho killings convinced me she isn't fit as a leader.
    awec wrote: »
    To the detriment of her party.

Which is, IMO, unforgivable.

True, but party politics is full of self serving ego's who have their own interests at heart. GP is no different.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Agreed. And she could have done a lot more; like going out to Blanch with some of the other self styled black leaders like Ebun Joseph, and tried to appeal for calm and speak to the people out there. Might not be her juridstiction, but it is part of the wider city.

Her actions alone around the George Nkencho killings convinced me she isn't fit as a leader.

True, but party politics is full of self serving ego's who have their own interests at heart. GP is no different.

It is but I am not sure any other party would tolerate a member going on a solo run that was so obviously embarrassing to the party, all because the party didn't agree to give her what she wanted.

Hazel Chu was happy to make her party a laughing stock in exchange for some personal PR gained by running in an election that she knows she has no hope of winning.

It is genuinely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If she’d fûck her own party and colleagues under the bus in this manner .. you can imagine what she’ll do to the electorate if we ever have the misfortune to have her represent us in Dáil Éireann...

Let’s have long memories about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

I think her best bet by a country mile is to build up her public profile by any means necessary before the next election and try and get in on the NUI Seanad panel.

As has already been pointed out, there just isn't a constituency in Dublin for her to move into. Even if her fiancé steps aside (which I think is unlikely), his is probably the most precarious of all their Dublin seats. He got elected in a constituency where SF got more than two quotas and where FG and FF finished second and third on first preferences but fell away. I don't think luck will be on their side there again.

If she defects to the SocDems or Left-Greens, her best bet is to try and take out Minister Ryan in Dublin Bay South. I can't see that working out at all well for her.

If she runs in the NUI panel, she realistically only has to beat Senator Higgins (Mullen and McDowell are unbeatable electorally on that panel, love them or loath them).

The Lord Mayor has been in politics a wet weekend and already has more media coverage than AMH has had in her entire political career. If I was the Lord Mayor's political advisor, I would be telling her to position herself as the left-liberal candidate on that panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

PunkIPA wrote: »
    I think her best bet by a country mile is to build up her public profile by any means necessary before the next election and try and get in on the NUI Seanad panel.

As has already been pointed out, there just isn't a constituency in Dublin for her to move into. Even if her fiancé steps aside (which I think is unlikely), his is probably the most precarious of all their Dublin seats. He got elected in a constituency where SF got more than two quotas and where FG and FF finished second and third on first preferences but fell away. I don't think luck will be on their side there again.

If she defects to the SocDems or Left-Greens, her best bet is to try and take out Minister Ryan in Dublin Bay South. I can't see that working out at all well for her.

If she runs in the NUI panel, she realistically only has to beat Senator Higgins (Mullen and McDowell are unbeatable electorally on that panel, love them or loath them).

The Lord Mayor has been in politics a wet weekend and already has more media coverage than AMH has had in her entire political career. If I was the Lord Mayor's political advisor, I would be telling her to position herself as the left-liberal candidate on that panel.

She could stand in Trinity either and would be an attractive option for her especially if Norris doesn't run again.

She could stand in Trinity either and would be an attractive option for her especially if Norris doesn't run again.

She's not a graduate, as far as I understand.

This read like a Babylon Bee tweet. The picture makes it.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1375175992206065669

Its really hard to have respect for people when they claim to be doing things like this out of nobility. I would reckon shes gearing up to run in the European Parliament elections and is looking for a more national profile. I in no way think this is to benefit anyone but Chu herself

Her three and a half year old is very demanding if being a councillor, chairperson of a party and currently lord mayor is not enough representation for her

• Advertisement

PunkIPA wrote: »
    She's not a graduate, as far as I understand.

You don't need to be

"To put yourself forward as a candidate for the Seanad in the university constituency, you must be nominated by 2 registered electors for a university. Eight other registered electors for the university concerned must assent to your nomination. You do not have to be a graduate of the university concerned or be connected to it in any way. "
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/houses_of_the_oireachtas/the_seanad.html#le810f

You don't need to be

"To put yourself forward as a candidate for the Seanad in the university constituency, you must be nominated by 2 registered electors for a university. Eight other registered electors for the university concerned must assent to your nomination. You do not have to be a graduate of the university concerned or be connected to it in any way. "
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/houses_of_the_oireachtas/the_seanad.html#le810f

Wow, I presumed if you couldn't vote you couldn't stand. Thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m no fan of Eamonn Ryan....he’s a dreamer and spoofer with little regard for reality....but I feel sorry for him having to deal with the lunatic fringe of his Party led by the passionless and featureless Catherine Martin and her sycophantic followers who are totally divorced from reality and have absolutely no clue about how Parliamentary democracy actually works.

I wonder about Chu’s Seanad candidacy. From what I know about her she’s not someone I would have lumped in with the lunatic fringe so it’d be interesting to know if she’s little more than a stalking horse or fodder for those within the Party determined to shaft Ryan and crown Martin as the new leader.

Either way it’s a somewhat interesting diversion from the usual COVID ****e in the media.....

Very true.

Catherine Martin is on “the week in politics” at the moment.

A dour, relentlessly severe, gloomy person who seems to revel in nasty arguments with journalists.

I suspect if she does shaft Ryan and get into the big chair she will prove FAR less popular with the electorate than Eamon Ryan or indeed Sargent in his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very true.

A dour, relentlessly severe, gloomy person who seems to revel in nasty arguments with journalists.

I suspect if she does shaft Ryan and get the big job she will prove FAR less popular with the electorate than Eamon Ryan or indeed Sargent in his time.

That is unfortunately the type of person the Greens attract. Dour, know-all people who shout their point of view and refuse to listen to and often cut off anyone who might have or want to express an alternative view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

She's from Monaghan. They tend to be straight talking women from that part of the country and as a veteran teacher, she's probably intolerant of fools. Can you tell I'm married to a teacher from Monaghan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Stovepipe wrote: »
    She's from Monaghan. They tend to be straight talking women from that part of the country and as a veteran teacher, she's probably intolerant of fools. Can you tell I'm married to a teacher from Monaghan?

a Monaghan woman ( or man ) couldnt lie straight in bed

Ah, here. Ref!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

That is unfortunately the type of person the Greens attract. Dour, know-all people who shout their point of view and refuse to listen to and often cut off anyone who might have or want to express an alternative view.

Yes, and the Continuity Green Party intend to 'Be slightly obnoxious' and 'De-emphasise politeness' as a strategic matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

growleaves wrote: »
    Yes, and the Continuity Green Party intend to 'Be slightly obnoxious' and 'De-emphasise politeness' as a strategic matter!

Politeness is a western colonial construct, created by capitalists to stop the proletariat from rising. It's nothing but a tool of our oppressors, that must be dismantled.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would you feel sorry for Eamon Ryan?

His total lack of strong leadership is the very reason there has grown a lunatic left fringe in the Greens.

Its this kind of leadership by consensus, like the co-leader nonsense of the SDs, that destroys a party as any kind of impactful force.

Enda Kenny appeared a mild mannered sap to many, but in fact he was grafting away rebuilding the Party in his likeness. And when the pretenders came out into the light, he stomped on them like grapes. Charlie Haughey too would piss himself laughing at what passes for party leadership in this Country these days, not just from Ryan I might add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is absolutely fantastic news. As soon as the Greens haemorrhage enough of their TDs away from coalition consensus, the coalition will no longer have a majority in the Dáil. I believe that half of the Green TDs voted in favour of her endorsement, thus going against the party leadership - that's enough to cost the government its majority if every one of them was to lose the party whip.

Happy days ahead for those who want to see an end to this shambolic government.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Why would you feel sorry for Eamon Ryan?

His total lack of strong leadership is the very reason there has grown a lunatic left fringe in the Greens.

Its this kind of leadership by consensus, like the co-leader nonsense of the SDs, that destroys a party as any kind of impactful force.

Enda Kenny appeared a mild mannered sap to many, but in fact he was grafting away rebuilding the Party in his likeness. And when the pretenders came out into the light, he stomped on them like grapes. Charlie Haughey too would piss himself laughing at what passes for party leadership in this Country these days, not just from Ryan I might add.

in fairness to Eamon Ryan , were he to show some decisive leadership , he would be accused of displaying " toxic masculinity " and Green party types dont like that kind of thing at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

She also made very unsavoury remarks about teachers in a secondery school. And as with her comments about the garda never bothered to apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very true.

I suspect if she does shaft Ryan and get the big job she will prove FAR less popular with the electorate than Eamon Ryan or indeed Sargent in his time.

I actually liked Trevor Sargent. Pity he went off and found God.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I had a lot for time for Sargent. His book is worth a read if you ever have the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Eamonn Ryan seems to be someone who genuinely believes in environmentalism, is a bit scatter brained, essentially harmless but not power hungry or careerist in nature. The same cannot be said about the sharks circling him.

i met him once , thoroughly decent man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Eamonn Ryan seems to be someone who genuinely believes in environmentalism, is a bit scatter brained, essentially harmless but not power hungry or careerist in nature. The same cannot be said about the sharks circling him.

thats it. I don't agree with the guys approach but all his work is fairly benign and he does believe he's helping. its a pity that the green bandwagon has led his party to accumulate so many careerist me fein'ers in the last few years. The party is home to so many who'd throw their own granny in the sea to get another headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

thats it. I don't agree with the guys approach but all his work is fairly benign and he does believe he's helping. its a pity that the green bandwagon has led his party to accumulate so many careerist me fein'ers in the last few years. The party is home to so many who'd throw their own granny in the sea to get another headline.

Kinda like the Soc Dems, those two parties are more alike than either of them would want to admit to and are fighting for the same voters as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Eamon Ryan would make a fine backbencher or even spokesman on a specific ministerial portfolio, for a party like the Greens. He's just 100% not cut out for leadership material. At all. And his lack of leadership charisma is one (not all, but certainly one) of the factors which is costing the Greens so dearly in terms of public support.

Eamon Ryan would make a fine backbencher or even spokesman on a specific ministerial portfolio, for a party like the Greens. He's just 100% not cut out for leadership material. At all. And his lack of leadership charisma is one (not all, but certainly one) of the factors which is costing the Greens so dearly in terms of public support.

He damn near singlehandedly resurrected the Green Party after their disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And they want to replace him with Martin who has all the charisma of a soggy paper towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Happy days ahead for those who want to see an end to this shambolic government.

I can't wait for this shambolic government to be replaced by another one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread needs to get back on topic please, discuss Hazel Chu's plan to stand in the Seanad election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Trevor Sergent was an utterly credible politician.

He is the only politician in recent times that resigned speedily as a point of principle when he was seen to do something wrong.

Ms. Chu is in the Irish Times comic this weekend, touting her philosophy,which appears to me to come down to "it's all Whitey's fault" and that we are all born with inherent racism, except persons of colour/Asians. This is not so and I speak from experience. Now,I think the Catholic Church had already cornered the market on Original Sin, but apparently not. The Irish Times even put this philosophy into a handy box so you can cut it out and keep it on your fridge door or the back of your jacks door,as appropriate. I think I will fail to elect here to whatever sinecure she is craving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All she has is the race ticket and her 3 year old child.
    Awful person. How did she get to be Lord Mayor?

Catherine Martin reading from a prepared statement to answer questions on TWIP. Even when Aine Lawlor was asking direct questions she continued with her prepared statement.

It is strange to think that the Irish Times are really pushing for her entry to the seanad, what happens if she doesn't get elected, is it down to the small electoral base (Senators and TDs) or because she is Asian and a woman?

The two bye-elections are inherently anti-democratic and this will be overshadowed by identity politics!

I have as much change of getting elected by not running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

He damn near singlehandedly resurrected the Green Party after their disaster

50 billion euro is the figure he gave to retrofit houses. And only private houses at that. Public housing , schools et etc on top of that also

He said it without blinking. Absolutely bonkers and a liability to have as a minister of multiple departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/emma-dabiri-and-hazel-chu-this-is-a-real-important-moment-in-ireland-1.4514803?mode=amp&fbclid=IwAR1EgPMfCddxImSb1sGbcOb4nOSYYV901bqcqBgJuygt31jPPeo26twnGpQ

Professional race baiters Hazel Chu and Emma Dabiri join forces with professional man hater Una Mullally to have a conversation about “what white people can do next” in todays extra anti white racist times article.

Comes to the usual expected conclusions
    Interrogate capitalism
    “Exploitation and inequality are the operating logic of capitalism, in such an environment not only will racism flourish, it will remain a prerequisite.”
    Redistribute resources
    Vote for representatives committed to tackling inequality. Redistributing resources may depend on your personal and professional environment, such as mentorship.

The usual TLDR : “The only solution to racism is socialism”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All she has is the race ticket and her 3 year old child.
    Awful person. How did she get to be Lord Mayor?

Something I wondered myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/emma-dabiri-and-hazel-chu-this-is-a-real-important-moment-in-ireland-1.4514803?mode=amp&fbclid=IwAR1EgPMfCddxImSb1sGbcOb4nOSYYV901bqcqBgJuygt31jPPeo26twnGpQ

Professional race baiters Hazel Chu and Emma Dabiri join forces with professional man hater Una Mullally to have a conversation about “what white people can do next” in todays extra anti white racist times article.

Comes to the usual expected conclusions

The usual TLDR : “The only solution to racism is socialism”

As Yuri Bezmenov explained, these Useful Idiots will be the first up against the wall if a Socialist/Communist regime ever did take charge.

“He was executed by a new Marxist who was more Marxist than this Marxist.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Trevor Sergent was an utterly credible politician.

He is the only politician in recent times that resigned speedily as a point of principle when he was seen to do something wrong.

I used to vote for him.
    Actually berated him in a conversation we had - for being so noble to the point of being overly pious - in resigning as the incident related to trying his best for a constituent. He said he was wrong and felt it was best.
    A man of integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I never used twitter up until a year ago and I always thought Twitter wasn't the real world, how it's just an online bubble with no effect on the real world.

But then I started seeing Chu and the likes of O'Riordan. It's clear their whole politicial view and opinion is based off what their twitter followers want.

Chu literally never gets off twitter. The second a new story breaks, she's straight onto twitter. Like when Michael Belfield died and she just said "RIP to the homeless man who died"...she wouldn't even wait for a name.

She jumps the gun on every single story. She jumped the gun on George Nkencho. She jumped the gun on the Shelbourne monuments and she jumped the gun on the Carlow school teachers.

She is constantly tweeting things that are not so thinly veiled attempts at trying to make everything think she's mad busy and hard working.

"Thanks to @PatrickCostello for the 6am coffee while I'm on a meeting"

"It's 1am and I think this little spider is telling me to stop working!"

She is trying to make her family into some kind of celeb family too. "Mini Mayor" constantly photographed and put up for the world to see aswell.

It's ironic that she's constantly saying how her kid has a right not to be racially abused etc. when she's constantly putting up pictures online of the kid. Does her kid not have a right to privacy too?

paw patrol wrote: »
    I used to vote for him.
    Actually berated him in a conversation we had - for being so noble to the point of being overly pious - in resigning as the incident related to trying his best for a constituent. He said he was wrong and felt it was best.
    A man of integrity.

He would have got back in 2011 had the constituency lines not changed, IMO. Well liked in the constituency. That was purely Willie O'Dea playing politics.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement