Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

"Deputy leader Catherine Martin argued that the motion should not go ahead, as it would be divisive."

Martin is behind the initial divisiveness in my estimation.
    She's a definite Chuist or is it Chu is a Martinist. :)
    Anyhow, both are majorly responsible for the awful critical theory shoyte within that party.

The Parody party strikes again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Amirani wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's Martin, Duffy, Costello, Hourigan, O'Brien.

It was Catherine Martin, Vincent Martin, Frances Duffy, Patrick Costello and Neasa Hourigan

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I cant help but but think of Hazel in baggy jeans, and backwards baseball cap saying hello to her fellow young clubbers.

Yeah. It really is a case of ‘hello fellow teenagers’.

Like I said earlier, I used to see her around university. She’s a few years older than me. Whilst I didn’t know her personally, she definitely wasn’t the clubbing type.

I’m bemused by all the attention she’s receiving. From what I’ve heard, it’s totally at odds with her persona as a student, where she was a total non-entity.

She’s actually emblematic of how Irish society has evolved. Back in the early 00’s, her oppression narrative would have seen her dismissed as an insufferable whinge bag. These days, she is portrayed as an almost Joan-of-arc like figure fighting the patriarchy and other nebulous agents of oppression.

Truly the sign of a society that has lost its sense of ‘cop on’.

Annasopra wrote: »
    It was Catherine Martin, Vincent Martin, Frances Duffy, Patrick Costello and Neasa Hourigan

A very impartial little clique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

She's obsessed with herself.

• Advertisement

She's obsessed with herself.

She's not the only one..... :pac:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hamachi wrote: »
    KevRossi wrote: »
    She used to be a club DJ. How good of a DJ, how long she did it for, or how successful she was, I've no idea as I'm not into that kind of music.
    The mind boggles. I’m sure Tiesto was quaking in his boots.

Lads. I have to let you in on a secret. The bould Hazel was actually one half of Daft Punk. That is why she performed with the mask on her head - due to racism and sexism she had to hide her identity. Then she paid some French fella so that he would pretend it was him under the mask.

Linda Martin was the other half of the duo. But when she tried to reveal herself in order to go solo without the mask, the reaction to her performance quickly made her realise that all the talent was coming from Ms. Chu.

And as I am sure you are putting all the pieces together now, you will know that that is the real reason why "Daft Punk" announced their retirement last month. Hazel wants to concentrate on banging out tunes in da house (The Upper House to be exact)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This club dj story she has pulled out of wherever is laughable

Has anyone any proof of her DJing career?

Anything??

It’s hardly an attempt to make up a bullsh1t story to seem cool and slightly edgy is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anything??

It’s hardly an attempt to make up a bullsh1t story to seem cool and slightly edgy is it?

There is a lot of these fake tales going around. Someone says that they did something, or they identify with something or they had anxiety as a teen or they had someone jump over them or they had a relationship that was coercive!

If anyone can identify those last 3 :pac:

So IMO her fake DJing career isn't the worst of these types of lies that get into the press without question, it just completely stupid. If she said she used to do accounts for Daft Punk and advised them to retire I'd believe her.

I say lies I have no proof that these are things that happened or didn't happen but they possibly didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,757 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Anything??

I gave her the benefit of the doubt about her 'held up as a kid at knifepoint' story.... not this.

If she was a DJ she'd tell you about it constantly.

Again, I reckon the lady never scratched a deck in her life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Probably walked down the street with her phone on loud speaker, with girls just wanna have fun on loop....

She's not the only one..... :pac:

Disagree, you're not that bad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    "Deputy leader Catherine Martin argued that the motion should not go ahead, as it would be divisive."

Anyhow, both are majorly responsible for the awful critical theory shoyte within that party.

The greens seem to be split between actual greens and wokes. The actual greens seem to have the numbers. Just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Whatever about Hazel Chu's past as a DJ, I would be interested in knowing whether she has ever been a member of any environmental organisation in Ireland or the UK - apart from the Green Party?

The choice is enormous, I've been a member of a fair share of them over the years but I would be willing to bet that herself, Catherine Martin and the appalling Neasa Hourigan haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I would've thought the Greens would have a conflict of interest policy and her husband would have not taken part in the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I would've thought the Greens would have a conflict of interest policy and her husband would have not taken part in the vote.

Sure Vincent Martin is Catherine Martins brother.

The Greens are a family affair.

Just heard a short clip of Hazel on yet another podcast...diversity, minority, diversity, minority.

She was talking about increasing division, how it's not just a minority anymore. She's one of the worst for it!

She claims people are creating petitions to remove her from her job and that it's because of her ethnicity.

Would she have dropped this?

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Just heard a short clip of Hazel on yet another podcast...diversity, minority, diversity, minority.

She was talking about increasing division, how it's not just a minority anymore. She's one of the worst for it!

Is there? Maybe in the states, but not here.

I dont believe there is an "us vs them" mentality. Most of the country are not buying what the tiny "Irish Freedom Party" is peddling. Most decent folk anyway

But sure, she will use it as her excuse to bang the drum.

She claims people are creating petitions to remove her from her job and that it's because of her ethnicity.

Dont most Politian suffer these petitions from wackos. Again its the IFP, a very very small minority of the country. She needs thicker skin and rise above it, not play the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Is there? Maybe in the states, but not here.

I dont believe there is an "us vs them" mentality. Most of the country are not buying what the tiny "Irish Freedom Party" is peddling. Most decent folk anyway

But sure, she will use it as her excuse to bang the drum.

Dont most Politian suffer these petitions from wackos. Again its the IFP, a very very small minority of the country. She needs thicker skin and rise above it, not play the victim.

"Most of the country are not buying what the tiny "Irish Freedom Party" is peddling" thats true but if one side can be fooled into believing that there is an Us vs Them by this whole amplification of the "rise of far right" nonsense then an Us vs Them sentiment will be created.

• Advertisement

WrenBoy wrote: »
    "Most of the country are not buying what the tiny "Irish Freedom Party" is peddling" thats true but if one side can be fooled into believing that there is an Us vs Them by this whole amplification of the "rise of far right" nonsense then an Us vs Them sentiment will be created.

Oh I agree, and the Likes of Chu will push it. Both sides as bad as eachother and give each side a chance to moan and feigh outrage.

Both sides best ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Oh I agree, and the Likes of Chu will push it. Both sides as bad as eachother and give each side a chance to moan and feigh outrage.

Both sides best ignored.

Both sides need each other. It's a weird symbiotic relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭blackwhite

But a leadership election immediately after negotiating a PfG is in no way divisive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

FFS how the fook do those clowns get elected ?

Has anyone ever heard of a political party in this part of the world tolerate a prominent member running against them and yet remaining in the party, oh and even worse remaining in a position of power in the party.

Total fruitcakes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

jmayo wrote: »
    FFS how the fook do those clowns get elected ?

Has anyone ever heard of a political party in this part of the world tolerate a prominent member running against them and yet remaining in the party, oh and even worse remaining in a position of power in the party.

Total fruitcakes.

This is what annoys me about the Irish. They sit on social media all day crying about Trump, Boris and any other western politicians who are trendy to hate, yet they should be looking closer to home. Irish politics is chock full of some of the biggest clowns you'll come across, who are objectively terrible at their jobs, yet they don't get a fraction of the attention that they deserve.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Irish politics is chock full of some of the biggest clowns you'll come across, who are objectively terrible at their jobs, yet they don't get a fraction of the attention that they deserve.

Some get far more attention than they deserve. Especially when they go looking for it.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Whatever about Hazel Chu's past as a DJ, I would be interested in knowing whether she has ever been a member of any environmental organisation in Ireland or the UK - apart from the Green Party?

The choice is enormous, I've been a member of a fair share of them over the years but I would be willing to bet that herself, Catherine Martin and the appalling Neasa Hourigan haven't.

Splitter

That Neasa Hourigan really is another that annoys me.

I remember during the election and a while after she was constantly making sure to be seen standing beside Ryan or Martin to make her look like she's really near the top.

Same thing coming out of the Dail, she HAS to be beside them.

I remember during the election and a while after she was constantly making sure to be seen standing beside Ryan or Martin to make her look like she's really near the top.

Its a double edged sword...Ryan does well, she appears to be doing well by association..... he does bad, shes just as bad as him.

I see nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement

The Irish Times has an article about the other candidates in this byelection

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hazel-chu-highest-profile-candidate-of-seven-in-seanad-byelection-1.4528558

Labour is running two candidates, one for each panel which just seems like an exercise in futility given how few seats they have in the Oireachtas. Soc Dems, Greens, Aontu, PBP, AAA etc aren't running any. SF isn't running a candidate but is supporting one of the independents which given they're planning on fielding a lot more candidates next GE, it seems like you'd want to try and get a new face a bit of press and some experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The Irish Times has an article about the other candidates in this byelection

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hazel-chu-highest-profile-candidate-of-seven-in-seanad-byelection-1.4528558

Labour is running two candidates, one for each panel which just seems like an exercise in futility given how few seats they have in the Oireachtas. Soc Dems, Greens, Aontu, PBP, AAA etc aren't running any. SF isn't running a candidate but is supporting one of the independents which given they're planning on fielding a lot more candidates next GE, it seems like you'd want to try and get a new face a bit of press and some experience.

She has to have a PR firm at this craic , its a story about all the candidates but winds up talking about her.

Ive also noticed that pieces that look like pr spots / publicity only ever feature headshots of hazel, only media outlets running stories she doesnt like ever run full pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Doughnuting.

It's been going on in irish politics since Adam was a lad.

One of the seats left vacant is due to covid payments given to a SF members consistency office in the north which they returned and they asked her to resign. Clearly they've decided not to contest the bye-elections. I would have thought that they might have come to an agreement with LP and SD to asking them to run a candidate in both elections with LP votes going to SD on in election and SD votes going to LP in the other election, with both getting full support of Sinn Féin and more than likely the smaller parties and some independents and perhaps support from The Greens. (No reason for The Greens not to go against the coalition parties in these bye-elections).

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/electoralProcess/electionResults/seanad/2021/2021-03-30_seanad-bye-elections-2021-list-of-candidates_en.pdf

Agri

Maria Byrne (FG)
    Angela Feeney (LP)
    Ian Marshall (Independent Unionist)

Industry
    Ciarán Ahern (LP)
    Hazel Chu (Independent Green)
    Gerry Horkan (FF)
    Billy Lawless (Independent)

Does she actually have a chance?

GP - 16
    SF - 41
    SD - 6
    PBP/SOL - 5

Plus second preferences from LP bring her to 79

FF 57
    FG 50
    ???

Elmo wrote: »
    One of the seats left vacant is due to covid payments given to a SF members consistency office in the north which they returned and they asked her to resign. Clearly they've decided not to contest the bye-elections. I would have thought that they might have come to an agreement with LP and SD to asking them to run a candidate in both elections with LP votes going to SD on in election and SD votes going to LP in the other election, with both getting full support of Sinn Féin and more than likely the smaller parties and some independents and perhaps support from The Greens. (No reason for The Greens not to go against the coalition parties in these bye-elections).

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/electoralProcess/electionResults/seanad/2021/2021-03-30_seanad-bye-elections-2021-list-of-candidates_en.pdf

Agri

Maria Byrne (FG)
    Angela Feeney (LP)
    Ian Marshall (Independent Unionist)

Industry
    Ciarán Ahern (LP)
    Hazel Chu (Independent Green)
    Gerry Horkan (FF)
    Billy Lawless (Independent)

Does she actually have a chance?

GP - 16
    SF - 41
    SD - 6
    PBP/SOL - 5

Plus second preferences from LP bring her to 79

FF 57
    FG 50
    ???

You havent accounted for 36 Independent votes

I would not assume at all that she would get all those 68 First preferences you listed above
    A a number of greens wont vote number 1 for her
    B some SF may not vote for her - they could vote Billy Lawless or even possibly Gerry Horkan or at a stretch Ciaran Ahern
    C Soc Dems will probably vote for her but you never know a few might vote Labour
    D PBP/Solidarity - I dunno they could asbstain because none of the candidates are left enough

She has a VERY very very slim outside chance if the FF/FG alliance doesnt hold up. Lawless used to be in FG and this might open it up a bit if the FG/FF pact doesnt hold up. In reality what will probably happen is

Horkan 112 (game over on 1st count, no second count - will get a few independent votes)
    Ahern 11
    Lawless (about 40ish votes)
    Chu (about 40ish votes)

If all 211 vote - the quota is 106. FF/FG and a good few Independents and greens should easily see Horkan win a quota and elected on the 1st count.

Terry Pratchet

You havent accounted for 36 Independent votes

How many of these votes might she get 18? There are plenty of identity independents would would really have very little choice and just one Female candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

boardise wrote: »
    What a shame we didnt get rid of that silly Senate when there was a golden chance some years back.

Which begs the question, if it such a waste then why was it there in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

She has to have a PR firm at this craic , its a story about all the candidates but winds up talking about her.

Ive also noticed that pieces that look like pr spots / publicity only ever feature headshots of hazel, only media outlets running stories she doesnt like ever run full pictures

Fairly sad if she needs a PR firm - she spent 5-6 years as Diageo's head of communications. She's gone from shelf promotion to self promotion.

I heard an ad on the radio today, advertising some podcast and Hazel made an appearance.

Talking about her favourite film (I think it was anyways), Hazel opted for Top Gun because "it's about planes and how people come together"

Even when talking about a film she likes she has to put in some woke rubbish and take all the fun away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I heard an ad on the radio today, advertising some podcast and Hazel made an appearance.

Talking about her favourite film (I think it was anyways), Hazel opted for Top Gun because "it's about planes and how people come together"

Even when talking about a film she likes she has to put in some woke rubbish and take all the fun away.

That’s all she’s got. Nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Which begs the question, if it such a waste then why was it there in the first place?

Apparently it was for reassurance to protestants with focus for those in the north. In the south protestant representatives would struggle to get elected.

A half assed unneeded safeguard is what I'm trying to say.

• Advertisement

How many of these votes might she get 18? There are plenty of identity independents would would really have very little choice and just one Female candidate.

I had a look through the list of 36. Honestly probably only 10-12. More likely 10.

She doesnt have a chance at a seat.

Terry Pratchet

In fairness to Hazel Chu her CV seems fairly good and it doesn't seem as if she has inflated any more that the DJing, other politicians/personality often seem to add fiction to their CV.

In fairness to Hazel Chu her CV seems fairly good and it doesn't seem as if she has inflated any more that the DJing, other politicians/personality often seem to add fiction to their CV.

Don't care how her CV is. She's self-obsessed and trying to create issues that - while there - are in no way as bad as she makes out.

A lot of people ask why contest an election I have no hope of winning. Firstly-I can apply my vast experience in entertainment, trade & multinationals to help Irish industry get back up

Hazel poses the question why she is contesting an election she has no hope of winning and then talks about her credentials. Doesn't really answer why she's contesting an election she has no hope of winning.

But even if she had a chance....how on earth does a senator have any influence in trade, entertainment or multinationals?? Senators are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t trust her an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Hazel poses the question why she is contesting an election she has no hope of winning and then talks about her credentials. Doesn't really answer why she's contesting an election she has no hope of winning.

But even if she had a chance....how on earth does a senator have any influence in trade, entertainment or multinationals?? Senators are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Its for her daughter apparently, bollox
    self serving looking to get on a cushy well paid no work gravy train

A senator doesn’t; she’s well aware of that. The only things that interest Hazel are the salary and securing a platform that will enable her to continue spouting her nonsense ad infinitium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Her argument is that she's trail blazing for the younger generation female minorities. She doesn't need to win, just to be seen on the ticket would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Irish Times all over her again.
    She must be their Poster Girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She's high profile and she gets the clicks. Ti's all about the clicks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement