Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

And for that reason, I wouldnt click on her or anything I dont wnat to know, as it gives them credence in that I belive it is measured to determine interest or viewership.
    So good or bad, if it sells papers they will print her bile (or anyone like that more or less has nothing meaningful to contribute).
    Sow division, sells papers online or otherwise (potential ad revenue)
    Plaster her mug all over it so.

Thats my impression of things, if Im wrong tell me so,

I dont even want to reply in here generally to stuff I dont agree with or disagree with substantially, but I think its important to weigh in with opinions/views etc otherwise her acolytes might make people believe no one is against her (not for race or the like) but because you are reasonably allowed dislike or disagree with someone without race/gender/privilege being thrown back in your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Elmo wrote: »
    In fairness to Hazel Chu her CV seems fairly good and it doesn't seem as if she has inflated any more that the DJing, other politicians/personality often seem to add fiction to their CV.

What are her policies and goals? From the majority of her appearances and the discourse about her in the media, it seems as if she wants people to vote for her because she is Chinese-Irish and a woman.

I remember an interview she gave prior to the presidential election in which she was full of hysterics and hyperbole on societal issues. I don't think a hollow person on the woke spectrum counts as having a 'good CV'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Akesh wrote: »
    What are her policies and goals? From the majority of her appearances and the discourse about her in the media, it seems as if she wants people to vote for her because she is Chinese-Irish and a woman.

I remember an interview she gave prior to the presidential election in which she was full of hysterics and hyperbole on societal issues. I don't think a hollow person on the woke spectrum counts as having a 'good CV'.

I should say I often don't trust attention seekers when they talk about their past achievements, for example I'd be the first to question the whole DJing career, however looking at Hazel Chu's work experience and when she was in the news prior to entering politics it all ads up, there are other politicians/well known people that would have no problem announcing they had been a consultant Ted Turner when its likely they never met the man.

I am not giving her a vote, I don't have a Seanad vote, I am just a poor white boy without a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Why is she always trying to make everything into a race or gender issue? All she does is try to sow divide and then gain from the fall out. Really beginning to despise her attitude.

Remember when she went straight to condemning the male teachers of that secondary school in Carlow before she even bothered to check if the claim was unfounded (as it turns out is was). Then, she immediately made the George Nchenko shooting into a race issue, helping to fuel the pretty horrible behaviour that ensued.

Seeing a pattern in her behaviour.

Take away her ethnicity, her gender and she would be left with no talking points or policies. Everything is racial or an ism with her. Horrid way to live ones life.

And of course she’s married to a white dude. These woke warriors tend to be shacked up with an evil white man. It’s like a fetish. Spend your working life decrying white males yet end up marrying one. AOC in NY is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Which begs the question, if it such a waste then why was it there in the first place?

Thats a very good question, there has been no reform of it at all since the vote, its a cushy job for life for the university crowd and a 70 k next best option for TDs the electorate rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Santana Unimportant Cub

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1378836586578726913

Amazed she hasnt deleted this yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Reading through this thread and it’s the first I heard of the bould Hazels DJ career. She could say mass.
    And that’s the depressing part, the justification that it’s OK to be discriminatory. Last I checked it was a group of Irish lads who held a knife to my throat when they burgled my home when I was just 11 years of age after scoping out the Chinese takeaway (ours) in the area and figured we’d be an easy target.

It was a group of Irish locals who whacked an ashtray across my mum’s head when they refused to pay after a meal.

It was Irish boys who hurled insults and abuse at my brother and landed him in Tallaght emergency department.

But I don’t hate Irish people.

I am Irish.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/hazel-chu-election-peter-casey-ireland-4313302-Nov2018/

Has she ever mentioned the time she was kidnapped with a knife to her throat when she was eleven again in the media? Considering her past tales, I’d take that with a huge pinch of salt.
    Her parents were forced to sell a chip van they had worked and saved up for, because of harassment. Ms Chu's mother had an ashtray thrown over her head in a restaurant she owned in Clondalkin. She herself was "jumped on" in her teen years. However, it was an incident involving her brother which "spurred" her on the most.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30943430.html

She omits it here and I do believe her mam may have had an ashtray thrown at her, unfortunately. She ran a very nice restaurant in Clondalkin village so the family being kidnapped after finishing work would have been major news. Being from the area, it’s strange I never heard anything about it.

I must have been on my holliers in Trabolgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

See there know she is using post natal depression to push her agenda....

So we need a list, race, Irish whites are racist, she is Chinese, mother to a girl whom she is doing all this for..... Add more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

So we need a list, race, Irish whites are racist, she is Chinese, mother to a girl whom she is doing all this for..... Add more....

Suicide.

This pr stunt last week.

https://twitter.com/LordMayorDublin/status/1377201877419499521

And this week she says, she wanted to throw herself in front of a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The 1916 Rising.

https://twitter.com/LordMayorDublin/status/1377563456400994304

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1377598657386721283

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1378695345467752448

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's like she just read a wikipedia page on 1916...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Almost every Twitter post I've ever read that was written by an actual person (rather than a business etc) I've found to be nothing more than transparent "look at me!" attention-seeking shyte.

It's platforms like Twitter and Facebook that are responsible for giving people like Hazel a means to air nonsense that otherwise would have been restricted to the likes of the National Enquirer or The Sun etc.

Seems that the party have backed down and decided to review their internal procedures instead, given the very public row over this.
    The Green Party’s national executive has thrown out a motion calling on Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand aside as party chair during her Seanad by-election campaign.

The executive has instead voted unanimously to commission a review into its procedures for selecting Seanad by-election candidates following a damaging row in the party over Ms Chu’s decision to run in the by-election.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/greens-drop-call-for-party-chair-hazel-chu-to-stand-aside-during-seanad-by-election-40298008.html

Onto more important things I guess.... From the front page of today's Sunday Indo:
    The Green Party wants an increase of nearly €50 in the core social welfare payments including jobseeker and illness benefits. Community Development Minister Joe O'Brien said the €203 base social welfare rate needs to increase to €250 over the next two to three years in order to meet a government target of reducing the consistent poverty rate to 2pc.

That's nice! I don't disagree that the dole is very hard to survive on for most and that the whole thing needs reform , but a blanket increase for all seems like a lazy vote grabbing attempt, and will do nothing to address the abusers of the system.
    How are they going to pay for this? What's to stop the cost of things like rent, essential items etc just increasing accordingly for all - welfare recipients or not?

O'Brien himself is another one who seems more interested in ideology and virtue signalling than reality. More detail a few pages on:
    His first job was in a centre for early school-leavers where he got an insight into "the crappy deals people get in life just by virtue of where they're born”. He set up a pilot scheme for asylum seekers to sit their Junior Certificate which, he says, made him aware of the issues facing young people in direct provision.

He later studied a masters in ethnic and racial studies in Trinity, where he met his wife. To fund that, he worked in homeless services in Dublin, before he started working for Crosscare, the social support agency for the Dublin archdiocese. In 2014 he turned whistleblower, exposing how thousands of people, mainly migrants, were being excluded from homelessness figures.

Through his work he found himself increasingly unimpressed by politicians, and came to the conclusion he could do a better job. He observed how former Green Party leader Trevor Sargent was able to plot a reasonably successful political career. "I saw a guy who's low-key, not bombastic, and I kind of went: 'Maybe I could try it, dip the toe in the water at least.'”

After two failed election campaigns in the 2014 locals and 2016 general, he was elected to Fingal Co Council in 2019 and took a Dáil seat in Dublin Fingal in a by-election that November. Re-elected in the February 2020 election, he made headlines in June of last year when he claimed that some TDs, whom he did not name, used racism to get elected to the Dáil.

"Racism is used to order society — it's a play on power that goes back centuries, and it's embedded in Irish society as well,” he says now.

"Look at the situation of Travellers. That hasn't persisted for generations without there being a very latent embedded level of racism in all of us, realistically speaking.”

Racism and victims everywhere - but only if you're a minority or asylum seeker of course! And the rest of us, sure we're all closet racists.

Ironically though, despite all the above he's not worried about evictions being back on the cards for some with the removal of the 5km rule :
    From tomorrow the lifting of the 5km travel limit means the blanket ban on evictions reimposed since last December will be no more, but O'Brien says he is happy to allow this as homelessness NGOs are now "more prepared”.

Ah that's grand so :rolleyes:

How on earth anyone can think this crowd of dangerous ideologues are fit for Government is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lol they must be getting nervous the SocDems were going to out woke them so had to come up with a few ideas of their own.

Lol they must be getting nervous the SocDems were going to out woke them so had to come up with a few ideas of their own.

The danger though is that unlike the SocDems, this shower are actually in a position to push through their nonsense into law and are already doing so at the moment.

• Advertisement

We probably need a dedicated Greens thread, but O'Brien on Newstalk just now talking about his dole increase proposal.

Was asked some basic questions around the impact of this on competitiveness, potentially disincentivising people from taking up low paid work, how it would be funded and he had no answers.

The sooner the Greens are relegated back to the sidelines the better for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We probably need a dedicated Greens thread, but O'Brien on Newstalk just now talking about his dole increase proposal.

Was asked some basic questions around the impact of this on competitiveness, potentially disincentivising people from taking up low paid work, how it would be funded and he had no answers.

The sooner the Greens are relegated back to the sidelines the better for all of us.
    Of course he had no answers. The €50 a week pay rise for people on the dole is just a cynical ploy to buy votes. With this Green move, the social welfare voting block is now inundated with political parties dedicated to serve them. Wonder about the people who are genuinely interested in environmental and sustainable polices, but who do not support the Green's focus on the liberal left agenda e.g. substantial dole increase, free homes within 4 months for all asylum seekers prior to asylum adjudication etc. Who can they vote for now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, was listening to that. Wasnt very well thought out it seems.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The race for most dislikeable Green is really hotting up.

I didnt think many could top O Gorman and his disdain for the childcare industry

The race for most dislikeable Green is really hotting up.

I didnt think many could top O Gorman and his disdain for the childcare industry

Indeed, that's bad enough but his disdain for the Irish in general via his "free houses for anyone who rocks up and shouts asylum" plan is something far more dangerous.

This crowd got 7% of the vote of those who bothered to turn out last year. They have no mandate to be pushing such far-reaching ideology-driven policies on the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Like most "woke" Far Left parties, it's tax the working to pay for the bone idle.

They are great at coming up with a Scrounger's Charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Indeed, that's bad enough but his disdain for the Irish in general via his "free houses for anyone who rocks up and shouts asylum" plan is something far more dangerous.

This crowd got 7% of the vote of those who bothered to turn out last year. They have no mandate to be pushing such far-reaching ideology-driven policies on the rest of us.

Ireland's ideological narrowness with be our death. Politics doesn't function properly at all when there's no genuine counter ideologies in the mix, as it results in no elected politicians calling out insane policies, they simply pass without any dissent. We're one of the few nations in Europe without a system of genuine ideological diversity. Nearly every other country has a genuine right and left to balance each other out.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Hazel will be on Claire Byrne radio show in a few minutes if you fancy some Monday morning bull****. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

€50 more reason not to work. Great.

Claire asks: Why enter an election you admit you have no chance of winning

Hazel's response: No men on the ballot, needed a woman on the ballot and diversity. Can't be what you can't see, references Rachel Blackmore, Linda Doyle and Irish womens rugby team.

Who did Rachel Blackmore see winning the Grand National as a woman? Surely if can't see, can't be is true, Rachel Blackmore can't be grand national winner because she never saw a woman doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Chu is some waffler - speaks at the speed of light while saying fck all.

PS Catherine Martin is deputy leader of a party who just went into Govt and then she challenged the leader.
    So yeah, she was scrutinised but NOT beacuse she was a woman, ya dope.
    (Her big point about women picked on by being questioned at all was the example above)
    I mean, Hazel's definitely a politician but not a groundbreaker or even a politician of any minimal use at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Chu is currently on with Claire Byrne. Embarrassing stuff

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Hazel will be on Claire Byrne radio show in a few minutes if you fancy some Monday morning bull****. :)

She’s spreading verbal diarrhoea at record speed

Chu saying the pandemic affected women worse.

Imagine a man saying something that affected the whole country and saying men had it worse how that would be viewed.

Men die way more at the workplace than women...nothing is made of it.

She’s planning on “rolling out” a youth initiative in the dying weeks of her Lord Mayorship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Why this woman gets so much attention in the media is beyond me. She says absolutely nothing of substance and offers nothing to voters beyond “I’m a minority and I’m a woman, vote for me”.

She’s planning on “rolling out” a youth initiative in the dying weeks of her Lord Mayorship

She saw how much praise TLLS got for the charity stuff and she wants to be looked back on in the future as having set this up.

She saw how much praise TLLS got for the charity stuff and she wants to be looked back on in the future as having set this up.

Yep. Blatant publicity stunt

Shelga wrote: »
    Why this woman gets so much attention in the media is beyond me. She says absolutely nothing of substance and offers nothing to voters beyond “I’m a minority and I’m a woman, vote for me”.

That was my take from the interview with Claire Byrne: talking loud and saying absolutely nothing. "We need to encourage more women and minorities blah blah blah". Hardly more substantive than hair salon gossip. I hear one must collect a dozen milk tokens to head the vacancy for lord mayor in June.

I've gone from admiration for Hazel Chu a couple of years ago, to an absolute dislike for her. She uses every populist issue to get attention for her agenda. Listening to her waffling on CB this morning makes me wonder how she gets so much support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It annoys me that wafflers like this are allowed to go unchallenged so much.

Admittedly CB said at one point that a man would get same attack if he challenged the leader, but we need more difficult questions more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

Probably off topic but......

Will politicians in this country not be happy until every single person is better off out of work than in FFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Claire asks: Why enter an election you admit you have no chance of winning

Hazel's response: No men on the ballot, needed a woman on the ballot and diversity. Can't be what you can't see, references Rachel Blackmore, Linda Doyle and Irish womens rugby team.

Who did Rachel Blackmore see winning the Grand National as a woman? Surely if can't see, can't be is true, Rachel Blackmore can't be grand national winner because she never saw a woman doing it.

Rachel Blackmore hates her gender being brought up. She prefers to be seen as a great jockey, than a great "female" jockey.

CarProblem wrote: »
    Probably off topic but......

Will politicians in this country not be happy until every single person is better off out of work than in FFS?

Surely gradually lowering the dole should incentivize people to go out and work, and increasing it will have the opposite effect?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely gradually lowering the dole should incentivize people to go out and work, and increasing it will have the opposite effect?

That's my point - budget after budget the "break even point" between going out to work or not is getting higher and higher. Two budgets from the so called fiscally conservative FG where the dole was raised by more than tax was cut for someone on the median wage

This madness (tbh I think there's zero chance of the country affording it) is more of the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The holy Joe wing of the Green party will destroy it.

This is a real circus act by Chu.

NIMAN wrote: »

Increasing dole/min wage just increases the gap you fall if you ever fall in hard times, find yourself homeless etc.

If dole goes up to 250 then people who currently work for 250 won't go out to work, so they have to up their wages. This will then have a domino affect up the ladder and wages rise. Wages rise = prices rise

But politicians play the optics. "hey, he wants to give me 50 euro a week extra, think of how much better that would be!"

And the dole is not 203, you get a load more benefits too. For example, fuel allowance...you get an average of 15 euro a week

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If welfare was so generous that it disincentivised people to work, then we wouldn't have been at full employment, which we were at pre-COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If welfare was so generous that it disincentivised people to work, then we wouldn't have been at full employment, which we were at pre-COVID

Are you seriously trying to pretend that social welfare in this country isn't too generous? There's many people who live comfortable lives on social welfare in Ireland, which shouldn't be the case.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to pretend that social welfare in this country isn't too generous? There's many people who live comfortable lives on social welfare in Ireland, which shouldn't be the case.

Or that there are a lot of lower paid jobs that Irish people refuse to do (e.g. Keelings fruit pickers, meat factories, cleaning jobs etc etc)

I remember a few years ago on here or the Property Pin a few people took the Pepsi challenge on what they'd be entitled to if unemployed and the gross salary that would be required to make it worthwhile for someone their shoes to work, the figures were startling. I remember someone in the ERSI caused uproar by also factoring in the costs of going to work (commuting, work clothes, lunches etc)

• Advertisement

The only people who deserve more welfare are people looking after kids with Autism ect. Kids that need full attention from a parent probably for the rest of the kids life.

Regarding long term welfare recipients, half of them you wouldn't hire let's be honest. Some are travellers, some are addict's. The problem is this lifestyle is acceptable to many people and they will never change unless they have different options, ie work for €350 after tax or get €250 a week for nothing.

Just listening to Chu its on again on rte news now. Waffle waffle waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Thank God!

I will never vote green again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

She knows she won't get elected, it's purely to foster division in her own party and damage them in the public eye.

Job done.

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    The only people who deserve more welfare are people looking after kids with Autism ect. Kids that need full attention from a parent probably for the rest of the kids life.

Regarding long term welfare recipients, half of them you wouldn't hire let's be honest. Some are travellers, some are addict's. The problem is this lifestyle is acceptable to many people and they will never change unless they have different options, ie work for €350 after tax or get €250 a week for nothing.

Bottom line is that someone happily sitting on the dole should never be better off than someone who is making the effort to go out and work.

But needn't worry, Leo is going to look after those of us who get up early in the morning!

As for this €50 dole increase, will never happen. This guy is simply being populist.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement