Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu to stand as Independent in Seanad elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Danzy wrote: »
    She knows she won't get elected, it's purely to foster division in her own party and damage them in the public eye.

Job done.
    good the greens deserve it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

Sounds like she is using her position and current notoriety to position herself for an NGO ceo job .

Averil Power is a noted example of someone who did this previously and is now ceo of the Irish cancer society. A good chess player is Hazel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

In the interview with CB today, she mentioned the achivements of Rachel Blackmore, which is ironic as the Greens are against horse racing as a sport, Chu will grasp at any straw, to try to validate her position, she is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

In the interview with CB today, she mentioned the achivements of Rachel Blackmore, which is ironic as the Greens are against horse racing as a sport, Chu will grasp at any straw, to try to validate her position, she is pathetic.

But manure is great for salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sounds like she is using her position and current notoriety to position herself for an NGO ceo job .

Averil Power is a noted example of someone who did this previously and is now ceo of the Irish cancer society. A good chess player is Hazel.

She's currently in the process of licking up to journalists on twitter so they write nice things about her in future and raise her profile more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Just listened to the CB show, I have to say I do quite like Claire, one of few RTE employees I can say that about.

It's probably not my place to say as a white Irish man (ie everything wrong with the country, apparently) but is this "you can't be what you can't see" mantra that she keeps repeating not inherently an exercise in self - misogyny?

Does a woman need to see a fellow woman succeed at something to believe she herself can do it? I think that's a very backwards view to hold of women. I would have far higher expectations of women than that, and as a self proclaimed feminist I'd have thought our Lord Mayor of Dublin would too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Does a woman need to see a fellow woman succeed at something to believe she herself can do it? I think that's a very backwards view to hold of women. I would have far higher expectations of women than that, and as a self proclaimed feminist I'd have thought our Lord Mayor of Dublin would too.

I suppose we all become what we see. Few men become nurses because we see it as a woman's job, the same goes for Doctors, women may have though it the past it was a man's job, though that is slowly going the other way, IMO.

Teachers are mainly women.
    Drivers (buses, taxis, lorries etc) are generally men.
    Builders
    Secretaries mainly women

The issue is that many of the lower down male jobs are not wanted by women.

The lowest grade civil servants are mainly men (porters, service officers)
    Women take up the vast majority of CO and EO positions
    HEO we get 50:50
    and then it becomes more male dominated but with a push towards women.

Yet the same push for men in female positions is not happening.

I'd love to know the office staff ratio of Dublin Bus V Bus Driver's ratios.

However, I'd question the idea that when politicians ask young people if they ever considered becoming a politician that many say yes instantly.

I'd even go as far as to say that no non-white or female young person, when asked said "well I haven't but I really feel that it is dominated by white men!".

It is strange in a country that has had a mixed race Taoiseach that people would consider this and in the last 30 years has had women visable in power from Presidents to Ministers to Tanaiste (but both those Marys have been cancel at this point).

Just listened to the CB show, I have to say I do quite like Claire, one of few RTE employees I can say that about.

It's probably not my place to say as a white Irish man (ie everything wrong with the country, apparently) but is this "you can't be what you can't see" mantra that she keeps repeating not inherently an exercise in self - misogyny?

Can't see, can't be is an excuse to be handed things they don't deserve.

"can't be a lady footballer if you don't get your matches put on RTE"

"can't be a woman pundit if you don't have a woman being a pundit on a mans sport"

"can't be a woman ceo if you don't give the woman the top job"

"can't be a woman radio presenter if you don't give the woman the presenting job"

"can't be a woman singer if you don't play womens songs on radio or give them slots on tv"

Society is filled with people being things they didn't see.

What woman did Katie Taylor see being a world champion boxer?
    What woman did Mary Robinson see being an Irish president?
    What woman did Racheal Blackmore see being a Grand National champion?
    What woman did Saoirse Ronan see becoming a major hollywood actress?
    What man did Leo Varadkar see become Taoiseach as the son of an immigrant?
    What man did Conor McGregor see become Irish UFC champion?

I could go on and on.

Elmo wrote: »
    I suppose we all become what we see. Few men become nurses because we see it as a woman's job, the same goes for Doctors, women may have though it the past it was a man's job, though that is slowly going the other way, IMO.

Teachers are mainly women.
    Drivers (buses, taxis, lorries etc) are generally men.
    Builders
    Secretaries mainly women

The issue is that many of the lower down male jobs are not wanted by women.

The lowest grade civil servants are mainly men (porters, service officers)
    Women take up the vast majority of CO and EO positions
    HEO we get 50:50
    and then it becomes more male dominated but with a push towards women.

Yet the same push for men in female positions is not happening.

I'd love to know the office staff ratio of Dublin Bus V Bus Driver's ratios.

However, I'd question the idea that when politicians ask young people if they ever considered becoming a politician that many say yes instantly.

I'd even go as far as to say that no non-white or female young person, when asked said "well I haven't but I really feel that it is dominated by white men!".

It is strange in a country that has had a mixed race Taoiseach that people would consider this and in the last 30 years has had women visable in power from Presidents to Ministers to Tanaiste (but both those Marys have been cancel at this point).

Or maybe womens personalities are just more inclined to choose a career in nursing?

Isn't it funny how Chu etc. is only supporting seeing women in these top job? i.e politicians, TV, music, sport etc.

I never hear her saying how we should have more female bin workers or labourers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Results for this were announced in the last few minutes.

Chu came stone dead last with 10 votes.

Floating non-Government, non-SF votes primarily went to the Labour candidate who got 26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

L1011 wrote: »

Floating non-Government, non-SF votes primarily went to the Labour candidate who got 26.

It was obviously because she was of Chinese ethnic origin - she'll milk it for all it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thats a real pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm actually surprised considering the vast amount of airtime and exposure afforded to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It was obviously because she was of Chinese ethnic origin - she'll milk it for all it's worth.

Hazel is 100% going to blame this on racism/sexism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I'm actually surprised considering the vast amount of airtime and exposure afforded to her.

Me too. Arguably the most visible contender in the bunch. Guess it all didnt pay off.

It was always a slim chance. I presume the exposure was the main goal for all this.

It was always a slim chance. I presume the exposure was the main goal for all this.

I think shes over exposed. Theres a blurp on Radio Nova for an interview with herself on one of their shows and she discusses Top Gun..... she talks about "Top Gun being her favourite movie because its about togetherness"...... pull the other one. Id have more respect for her if she just said she likes fun, brainless action flicks.

She talks some waffle when its not about race or sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

So there we have it folks, the Lord Mayor's campaign comes to an end with an impressive 10 votes, being only 62.5% of the votes from members of her own party.

A campaign that was DOA from day one, stood less than zero chance of electoral success, caused a virtual civil war in her own party, and undermined the stability of the government in a time of unprecedented national crisis.

And for what gain exactly?

Well the Lord Mayor got a lot of favourable press and media exposure.

Truly a trail-blazer and a shining example to everyone on this island. Barriers have been smashed down and every child in this nation regardless of colour or creed can now proudly say, "I too can finish Paddy last in a Seanad by-election."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She was supposed to get 12, or that's what she was promised. The knives will be out for the other 2.

Doesn't matter. The whole thing was a profile raising exercise and it worked for her. She'll be down nearly €60,000 p.a. in wages in June and will be on the look out for a job. She'll get her NGO/Quango position with little trouble and that will keep the ball rolling financially for her.

She has dirtied her bib with some people in the Greens, but she's not in the party that long anyway so doubt it matters too much.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    She was supposed to get 12, or that's what she was promised. The knives will be out for the other 2.

Doesn't matter. The whole thing was a profile raising exercise and it worked for her. She'll be down nearly €60,000 p.a. in wages in June and will be on the look out for a job. She'll get her NGO/Quango position with little trouble and that will keep the ball rolling financially for her.

She has dirtied her bib with some people in the Greens, but she's not in the party that long anyway so doubt it matters too much.

Thats it, if I was CEO of the imigrant council of Ireland or similar id be worried, about to be replaced by hazel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ah no, I was rallying behind her...... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Del.Monte wrote: »

You reckon she is a sleeper agent for the PLA/CPC?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Oh Christ, We're in for it now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

You reckon she is a sleeper agent for the PLA/CPC?

I'd have more respect for her if she was.

In reality she is a small time politician who by virtue of her gender and ethnicity has realised that she can attribute all of her failures and criticism to racism and sexism, rather than having any responsibility herself. The media not only don't question this notion but enthusiastically promote it, because they hold a desire to import American style identity politics lock stock and barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hazel is 100% going to blame this on racism/sexism

Didn’t take long

“ People have asked, was it worth the fuss for coming last? Absolutely. We need to put women & minorities at the table. We need to show anyone can run for any election. We need every party to run candidates in future that want to contribute and that represents society. Thanks all x”

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Didn’t take long

“ People have asked, was it worth the fuss for coming last? Absolutely. We need to put women & minorities at the table. We need to show anyone can run for any election. We need every party to run candidates in future that want to contribute and that represents society. Thanks all x”

But we already knew anyone can run for election, she didnt need to tell us that.

Id rather elect the best candidate than elect someone on their gender or race.

All she proved is that anyone can run despite their level of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But we already knew anyone can run for election, she didnt need to tell us that.

Id rather elect the best candidate than elect someone on their gender or race.

All she proved is that anyone can run despite their level of ability.

Yep. She must have forgotten about out gay Taoiseach /tanasite son of an Indian immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Didn’t take long

The worst thing about these types is that the meat never matters. The fact that most Irish female politicians are just as bad as the men, never factors in. I don't give damn what race or gender is in power, once our political system is a good as it can be. As it stands our politics is a joke, and throwing lots of woke on top won't do anything but make the problems worse.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Santana Unimportant Cub

Get ready for her to pop up on rte/radio/podcasts/Twitter over the next 3 months blaming sexism/racism

Get ready for her to pop up on rte/radio/podcasts/Twitter over the next 3 months blaming sexism/racism

Yippee. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

Has she used her catchphrase yet of You can't be what you can't see.

Oh we see what you are all about Hazel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Her excuse sounds like something you'd see in the Onion; "Chu feels she has blazed a trail for women and minorities by proving that they too can finish dead last in an election"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

What the hell is she even talking about here? The Seanad is 40% women, how exactly are they not "at the table"?

"we need to show anyone can run for any election", how exactly is this not the case already? What are you fighting against?

Speaking of tables, if you're an ethnic minority as is Hazel, and all you're bringing to the table is "women and minorities", you really only have yourself (not racism, not sexism) to blame when you finish rock bottom in your Seanad byelection.

An absolutely bizarre, infantile take that I'd expect from a students union rep.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1384888169066291202?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Represents society???? I never heard of her before she became mayor....

I really think the people should choose who becomes mayor not these fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If she had point out that only the 200 member of the Oireachtas could vote in these bye-elections and that she was putting forward a reform policy for election to the Seanad, I might be with her. But to suggest that running for the Seanad on the grounds of diversity is just madness when 99.999999999% of the population have no vote in the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yet she came last, which is exactly where you would want her to come, I presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Interesting, in my opinion sportswomen and generally educated successful women, don’t want anything to do with the designer media “feminists”

For instance, Katie Taylor is a serious individual, nice, religious and hard working, I doubt she she would want to be patronised by the likes of wealthy failed female politicians and would be horrified if her male boxing contemporaries were victimised or held back because of her

I bet the likes of Chu, Ivan’s Bacik or Ciara Kelly even watch sport

They are patronising, nothing else

Represents society???? I never heard of her before she became mayor....

The only section of society Chu represents are NGO employees and the donnybrook set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Obviously sexist voting patterns account for her poor showing... thats why no women were elected.

Oh wait...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Didn’t take long

But she's Irish? She's not a minority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Yep. She must have forgotten about out gay Taoiseach /tanasite son of an Indian immigrant.

It looks like she also forgot about the female Lord Mayor with Asian parents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Having a quick look through her twitter, some amount of clowns 'congratulating' her on running.

Having a quick look through her twitter, some amount of clowns 'congratulating' her on running.

Twitter's full of clown who comment for the sake of it or just to make themselves look good.

'Aint I great, Im supporting a minority '

A poor excuse of a politician who happens to be a minority is still a pure excuse of a politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So they didn't Chu Chu Choose her then?

I'll get me coat...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a sad day for minorities.

Hazels everywhere are gutted.

As an aside... probably being a 'Senator' would seem to carry more weight abroad than TD title to people unfamiliar with how secondary our Senators are.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

nullzero wrote: »
    So they didn't Chu Chu Choose her then?

I'll get me coat...

Irish Simpsons fan page mods heads must be spinning

But she's Irish? She's not a minority

she's a minority when it suits her, depending on the situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She already knew she'd lose and had even said herself several times she'd lose.
    It wasn't a surprise by any means, for her or us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It really is pathetic. One would think she was a female candidate standing for election in a Muslim country.
    One of them lamenting the lack of females in politics despite 1 of the 2 new senators being female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

perhaps she just dosnt have the confidence to say "I'm Hazel and i'm running for election because i have drive and commitment to serve my constituency and here are my policies" and instead feels she needs the angle/gimmick of race and gender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement