Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process in Opening a Bank account with BOI

Options
  • 24-03-2021 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,
    Anybody aware of the below.

Please check and provide your reply.

"
    In general, if any employer registered(having an account) with any leading banks,
    So, any of the employees of that employer deputed to Ireland,
    the bank will open a current account for the new-comer without additional address proof.
    Because of the good relationship with the bank and the employer, the employee got the account quickly.

If we are approaching the bank without any valid employer referral letter,
    the bank will ask for a valid address proof which we can't get thru in a month's time.

But, In my case, even I am producing my employer referral letter, work permit copy, passport copy as well as my deputation letter, but still, the bank refused to start opening the account for me. At the same time, Once I approached the other banks, they are pretty much clear that 'your employer not registered with us. so, please submit the valid address proof to start the account.'

So, I was thinking, what's the point in making a referral letter to the bank, whose fault, is it employer, or, bank, or the person who approaches the bank like me without the revenue letter on the prescribed revenue letterhead...

I am seeking a perfect reply at this forum as It will be much clear for anyone approaching the BOI branch for any such requests.
    "

Regards,
    Kannan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've moved this from Consumer as its extremely specific and would need BOI guidance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

kannan81 wrote: »
    Hi All,

"
    In general, if any employer registered(having an account) with any leading banks,
    the bank will open a current account for the new-comer without additional address proof.
    Because of the good relationship with the bank and the employer, the employee got the account quickly.

the bank will ask for a valid address proof which we can't get thru in a month's time.

But, In my case, even I am producing my employer referral letter, work permit copy, passport copy as well as my deputation letter, but still, the bank refused to start opening the account for me. At the same time, Once I approached the other banks, they are pretty much clear that 'your employer not registered with us. so, please submit the valid address proof to start the account.'

So, I was thinking, what's the point in making a referral letter to the bank, whose fault, is it employer, or, bank, or the person who approaches the bank like me without the revenue letter on the prescribed revenue letterhead...

I am seeking a perfect reply at this forum as It will be much clear for anyone approaching the BOI branch for any such requests.
    "

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Hi Kannan

Thanks for the query. 

Are you looking to apply for a bank account with us and having difficulties without the proof of address request? 

In some cases, we can accept letter from employer as proof of address although the employer must be on our list of 'approved companies' to allow us to accept this. 

Hoping the above helps 

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kannan81

Hi All,

"

"

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Hi Kannan

Thanks for the query. 

Are you looking to apply for a bank account with us and having difficulties without the proof of address request? 

In some cases, we can accept letter from employer as proof of address although the employer must be on our list of 'approved companies' to allow us to accept this. 

Hoping the above helps 

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison
    Hi Alison,
    Thanks for your reply.

From the reply, I understood, though the employer is registered with BOI, they should be on the 'approved companies' list. So that, if they are giving such 'employer letter' to their employees, they can approach the bank with that letter, it will be considered as a valid address proof and then, will start the new account.

Does my understanding correct? Because, if it is clear, I would recommend my employer to get the 'approved' status from BOI to make the process easy. I am trying to make the process clean and will be much helpful to any new-comer to the country for work-purpose and make their life easy in terms of banking. 
    Hope you know that, if the bank account sorted out, the remaining things will be much easier in Ireland, in specific.

Regards,
    Kannan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi All,

"

"

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Hi Kannan

Thanks for the query. 

Hoping the above helps 

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison
    Hi Alison,
    Thanks for your reply.

From the reply, I understood, though the employer is registered with BOI, they should be on the 'approved companies' list. So that, if they are giving such 'employer letter' to their employees, they can approach the bank with that letter, it will be considered as a valid address proof and then, will start the new account.

Does my understanding correct? Because, if it is clear, I would recommend my employer to get the 'approved' status from BOI to make the process easy. I am trying to make the process clean and will be much helpful to any new-comer to the country for work-purpose and make their life easy in terms of banking. 
    Hope you know that, if the bank account sorted out, the remaining things will be much easier in Ireland, in specific.

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Yes that's right Kannan, along with the employer letter, your employer would need to be on the list of approved companies for us to accept the employers letter proof of address. 

Many thanks,
    Alison

Hi All,

"

"

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Hi Kannan

Thanks for the query. 

Hoping the above helps 

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison

Many thanks
    Alison
    Hi Alison,
    Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Yes that's right Kannan, along with the employer letter, your employer would need to be on the list of approved companies for us to accept the employers letter proof of address. 

Many thanks,
    Alison

Thanks, Alison for clarifying it. I hope, that approved companies are more sensitive info that can't be shared at this forum and I am fine with this.
    I am pretty clear now. 
    Let me advise my employer to get into approved status or move their account with the bank as they feel they can get the approved status.
    So that, in the future, the process of starting any account with BOI would be more helpful.

Thanks Once again!

• Advertisement

Hi Alison,
    It would be helpful if any other best practices available for opening the account with BOI either thru the employer or in-person.

Regards,
    Kannan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Alison,
    It would be helpful if any other best practices available for opening the account with BOI either thru the employer or in-person.

Regards,
    Kannan.
    Morning Kannan,

Thanks for getting back to us here. We have an online account opening video here to help with making an application for a personal current account.

Hope this helps.

Tara

Advertisement