Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best video/meeting client for poor Internet?

Options
  • 24-03-2021 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

My wife has a business where, since covid, she's been meeting with clients online. She pays for zoom and its largely been fine. She's found though that some clients with poor/dodgy connection struggle with zoom. My sister doesn't have great Internet and she mentioned that she can't do video calls using zoom, but is able (on the same network connection) to use Microsoft teams and Google meet.

I was wondering, does anyone have experience or knowledge of which client is the best to use for poor/limited networks? I did some googling, but I can only seem to find comparisons for mobile apps like WhatsApp versus facetime...

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The issue is sending video, not receiving it. Most home connections have a high download speed and low upload speed, which means someone using such a connection would have no problem watching the others in a call, but will struggle to send its own video to the meeting.
    If your wife can conduct her business without seeing the customer, she could ask them to turn off their video. She can still be seen, she can present (sharing her screen), and she can listen to the customer without seeing him/her. And this will likely work with any provider.

Minimum bandwidth requirements for 1-to-1 calls, according to their own specs:
    Zoom: 2 Mbps
    MS Teams: starting at 500kbps (for low size video) up to 1.5Mbps (for HD quality)
    Google Meet: 3.2Mbps to send video (upload) and 2.6Mbps to receive video (download speed)
    Webex: 2Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

JoyPad wrote: »
    The issue is sending video, not receiving it. Most home connections have a high download speed and low upload speed, which means someone using such a connection would have no problem watching the others in a call, but will struggle to send its own video to the meeting.
    If your wife can conduct her business without seeing the customer, she could ask them to turn off their video. She can still be seen, she can present (sharing her screen), and she can listen to the customer without seeing him/her. And this will likely work with any provider.

Minimum bandwidth requirements for 1-to-1 calls, according to their own specs:
    Zoom: 2 Mbps
    MS Teams: starting at 500kbps (for low size video) up to 1.5Mbps (for HD quality)
    Google Meet: 3.2Mbps to send video (upload) and 2.6Mbps to receive video (download speed)
    Webex: 2Mbps

Thanks for that. My wife's work is dependent on her being able to see the client's video feed, so it does get tricky. Interesting that MS Teams has such lower requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dulpit wrote: »
    Thanks for that. My wife's work is dependent on her being able to see the client's video feed, so it does get tricky. Interesting that MS Teams has such lower requirements.

It will look like a potato though!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is she on a small ISP? This could be the ability for the platform to scale down rates or it could be peering with Oracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ED E wrote: »
    Is she on a small ISP? This could be the ability for the platform to scale down rates or it could be peering with Oracle.

No, there's no issue on our end (gigabit, Vodafone/Siro). Its just some of her clients will have good reception, some will look like they're hotpsotting on a Nokia 5110.

• Advertisement
Advertisement