Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build/ Upgrade (keeping my GPU)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CPU is fine, as you'll be bottlenecked at 4K (I've a 3600X on Adverts if you're interested)

Motherboard is OK but MSI B550-A Pro is same price on AmazonDE and better (internal USB-C & more fan headers, newer chipset).

Get 3600 MHz CL16 RAM for same price.

Good price on that Samsung 980, though tbh most games still don't care about SATA vs M.2.

Nice find on the PSU.

Main issue is you're on the Amazon UK store so you might get hit by double tax (not sure on that one TBH).

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I've Crucial Ballistix RGB ram, it's out of stock everywhere at the moment but it's due in stock on amazon de in mid April (part number BL2K8G36C16U4BL). It is 3600 CL16 , most other 3600 RGB ram are CL18.

There are a couple of Crucial RGB rams at 3600 CL18, if you get the Crucial RGB ram be sure to get the Ryzen optimised version with part number CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18. The other variant CMW16GX4M2D3600C18.

No double tax on ordering from the UK but I'd a quick look and price wise after the irish vat and import fees are added at checkout on amazon UK ordering all components from Amazon.de and paying a delivery fee of €25 euro might be a better option.

Nothing stopping you getting some items on amazon uk with free shipping and others on amazon de with a shipping fee. The €25 shipping I quoted above was assuming you get a PC case on amazon de, if you got a case elsewhere it would drop shipping to around €10. I prefer the selection of cases and psu on amazon de. I'm a fan a be-quiet cases and psu.

I'd personally have no problem with a B45O motherboard over a B550 if the price was right. Most B450 will support the lastest ryzen (Ryzen 5 5600x etc )after a bios update and the pci-e generation upgrade on the b550 boards doesn't make much difference in real world activity. I'd be looking at connectivity on the boards wifi, M.2 slots etc.

I'd also have no problem getting a second hand ryzen 3 series cpu if the price was right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah, I'll definitely use variants of amazon uk/ Germany etc to get the best price.

and thanks for cpu offer KIKI, but I'm still not 100% on the actual timeframe for this purchase yet.

Am I making the right call, in general re: Ryzen 5 3600? For example is the Ryzen 7 3700x worth 100 quid more?

When I bought my current pc 7-8 years ago the i5 4670k was THE chip to get for a gaming pc. This time around I'm not so sure on what the standout options are, if any.

For gaming: 5600X > 10600K > 3600

But at resolutions higher than 1440p it generally doesn't matter, as you're going to be GPU bottlenecked unless you turn settings way down (and even then, you need a very high-end GPU to see the difference).

Only reason I'm selling the 3600X & keeping the 5600X is because I do want the better performance in emulators (due to the lower latency from single-CCD design).

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

Quick question.

Will a new build such as this one work on a 4k tv without drivers etc? ie will I be able to get to the BIOS and then install windows?

I don't have a pc monitor anymore, just my 4k hisense tv

• Advertisement

I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The 3600 is cheaper here (still Amazon)

Advertisement