Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

My mother (80) having vaccination tomorrow (about bleedin time). Lives on southside not far from Aviva, but has to go to DCU Helix. Can't understand why they would not be able to accomodate people in their own side of the city.

Truly woeful.

It's now April and all the over 80s still haven't been vaccinated. FFS.
    I thought you were going to say she lives down some inaccessible boreen somewhere. But no. Near the Aviva no less.

A pity she's not friends with someone in the Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Lots of things that come into play here.

One of them, IMO, is the vilification of young people sitting outdoors in a park enjoying themselves. There's nowhere else to go for them but inside, which is a much, much more dangerous activity.

Yes, would agree with you. They encourage people to avoid being castigated for sitting outside having a few scoops. Instead, into a crowded house. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Truly woeful.

It's now April and all the over 80s still haven't been vaccinated. FFS.
    I thought you were going to say she lives down some inaccessible boreen somewhere. But no. Near the Aviva no less.

A pity she's not friends with someone in the Beacon.
    Over 80s are Pfizer. It's doing second shots as well off Q1 deliveries so has to be managed for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yes, would agree with you. They encourage people to avoid being castigated for sitting outside having a few scoops. Instead, into a crowded house. Crazy.

But how do we know they were definitely going to a crowded house?

And your original post seemed to state that they will definitely all get covid if they do go to a house-party.

I find myself not caring one iota what other people are up to with themselves at this stage, within reason of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Leinster game tonight Vs Toulon off now too, cos of positive test in French camp. Damn you covid, damn you. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I wouldn't care less if they were all heading off to a field to drink them, but it's more likely that they were all heading to houses for a shin dig. Unfortunately that slows things down for everyone else hoping to get out of this shítfest.

Judging from the state of the parks and open green areas around Rathfarnham village of late, I imagine there's a strong possibility that they were drinking outside. Which is good of course (as you say, less chance of slowing things down for the rest of us) I just wish people would pick up after themselves.

But the pub was doing a roaring trade. €5.50 for Guinness in a milkshake container wouldn't be to my liking but I guess many Guinness drinkers prefer that to the cans. (Heineken was €6, I'd be just getting bottles in the local supermarket myself).

And on off-licence on the same street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Totally disgusted, eldest has a cough since yesterday, kept her in her room and this morn had a temp. Rang doc and was told she has a "virus that is going around" but not covid and prescribed a mild steroid AND ANTIBIOTICS!!!!

Antibiotics don’t work on viruses! I wonder how long it’ll be before a series antibiotics resistant yoke appears.

Movie title Planet of the apes the rise of MRSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Totally disgusted, eldest has a cough since yesterday, kept her in her room and this morn had a temp. Rang doc and was told she has a "virus that is going around" but not covid and prescribed a mild steroid AND ANTIBIOTICS!!!!

images.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Very large amount of people last night coming from one of the pubs in Rathfarnham Village with takeaway Guinness. Groups of 5-6 blokes, and groups of women all carrying holders with 4 pints in them in plastic glasses (yuk).

I wouldn't care less if they were all heading off to a field to drink them, but it's more likely that they were all heading to houses for a shin dig. Unfortunately that slows things down for everyone else hoping to get out of this shítfest. But the pub was doing a roaring trade. €5.50 for Guinness in a milkshake container wouldn't be to my liking but I guess many Guinness drinkers prefer that to the cans. (Heineken was €6, I'd be just getting bottles in the local supermarket myself).

I thought takeaway pints wasn't allowed :confused:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

They are but you can't drink them within 100 meters of the pub afaik

• Advertisement

discouraged. And as Edz87 says, not within 100 metres for consumption.
    Judging from the state of the parks and open green areas around Rathfarnham village of late, I imagine there's a strong possibility that they were drinking outside. Which is good of course (as you say, less chance of slowing things down for the rest of us) I just wish people would pick up after themselves.

And on off-licence on the same street!

Yeah probably a bit of both. Most of the older people I saw (around 8pm last night) didn't look like they were looking for a field. But there are definitely groups of younger lads drinking in the green areas, especially behind the church on main street. The green hill area behind main street was littered with chinese take away cartons, beer cans etc. presumably from a party the night before. I'd love to see those fúckers caught and given a hiding, the state of the place they left it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

107 cases in Northern Ireland today... 0.88% positivity rate, case rate of 45 per 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Except that all the people it was found in where dead and they showed up as clear on a pcr test when they were alive.

Have you a source for that please? I don't see anything online about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

It's a bit complex, they're basically operating as off licenses. Once you are more than 100 meters from their propriety you're not their problem anymore (which is fair enough, if you ask me). Some are "pretend off licenses" more than others (for example Brewdog pour into cans and then seal them).
    Depending on which city you live drinking in public it's not allowed, but that's for the gards to enforce. The pubs are selling them with a "only drink them at your place wink wink". I don't really see the difference with off licenses outside of them being more expansive and having a better Guinness.

Martin said "forget about takeaway pints" in January, and pretty much all pubs closed down at the time, but no legislation was brought forward to ban takeaway pints (probably because it would be a political minefield, and also because... cans) so a lot started to open back thanks to the nice weather on the week leading to paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I'd love to see those fúckers caught and given a hiding, the state of the place they left it in.

Yeah, that spot, Bushy, and the green area behind Rathfarnham Shopping Centre are a disgrace at the moment. There's even burnt out areas where they've lit fires.

If only there was a Garda station nearby ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Almost identical to last week, marginally lower.

Probably in for another fuzzy few days, data-wise. Thursday will be the new Wednesday next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

kenmc wrote: »
    Leinster game tonight Vs Toulon off now too, cos of positive test in French camp. Damn you covid, damn you. :(

The French must be running around licking each other the whole time. Honestly, their sports teams have been terrible. If it's indicative of general approach in France then it's easy to see why they've had such problems.

Gallic shrugging their way through the pandemic doesn't get them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

My mother (80) having vaccination tomorrow (about bleedin time). Lives on southside not far from Aviva, but has to go to DCU Helix. Can't understand why they would not be able to accomodate people in their own side of the city.
    Ahh thanks, hadn't realised that it was specifically nominated as only centre for that. Pity they couldn't have had southside/northside process.

Jesus, the horror of having to go to the Northside, eh? Just outrageous what they make good people do nowadays, isn't it?

Journalism these days.

Indo - "More than 500 healthcare staff fail to show for jab after appointments duplicated" - the implication though that 500 HCW's just didn't bother. Of course they weren't going to show up if they already had appointments. How is that 'failing to show up".

Irish Times: "Nphet confirms 761 new cases as health expert warns of very ‘transmissible’ virus" - "Of the 761 cases, the highest total since March 21st...." But no mention of backlog, again, implication being that we are rapidly rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seamus wrote: »
    Almost identical to last week, marginally lower.

Probably in for another fuzzy few days, data-wise. Thursday will be the new Wednesday next week.

Yes last Friday 7 fewer positive swabs from 362 fewer tests carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

km79 wrote: »
    LOL a virus going around
    Called
    COVID19
    And then to prescribe antibiotics .

I’d be insisting on a test and then changing GPs

Good luck with that. We moved 2 and a half years ago and have never been able to get on the books of any local GP as theyre all full. Have to go back where we used to live to see a GP. No idea what immigrants or people who move across the country do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Anybody got the official source for cases in NI re: cases and positivity rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    107 cases in Northern Ireland today... 0.88% positivity rate, case rate of 45 per 100,000.

Where do these figures come from?
    There testing has always been extremely low and the case rate looks to be per 7 days not 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Its hard to believe we blamed the north as our bad neighbours for so long.

Over the next few weeks/months, it'll be us who will be viewed as the annoying, unvaccinated neighbours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I thought we couldn't meet with others even outdoors?

https://twitter.com/ronan_glynn/status/1378001147651256327?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

The teacher’s unions are going nuts with the changes of vaccine priorities. :pac:

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Maybe he has finally realised that everyone is meeting up anyway, so he might as well advise them appropriately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Of course you can. But it's limited.
    You can meet with one other household outside your home for exercise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement