Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Apparently the new variant is up to 90% more transmissible
    According to George

I've never heard that high a figure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We already have seen a massive decrease over the last month.

We’re in a better position than we realise

Hospital patients reduced by nearly half in a month.
    From 494 down to 255. Bloody good drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

.42. wrote: »
    The teacher’s unions are going nuts with the changes of vaccine priorities. :pac:

Funny how being promised something as part of an agreement and said promise then getting reneged a few short months later causes problems isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,479 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    According to George

This is getting so frustrating

No wonder people are fed up of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

According to George

I heard him on the radio today and it dawned on me that he really does not understand what is going on or have a good handle on the intricacies of the pandemic. He is a bit bit like a parrot just repeating inanities. Like his general reporting and his political career he seems self obsessed, unaware and a little stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Funny how being promised something as part of an agreement and said promise then getting reneged a few short months later causes problems isn't it.
    The deal has been superseded by newer scientific advice and we are following the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

According to George

I walked out of the room and waited and came back in and RTÉ were doing a depressing tour of the European continent. Can they stop for even a day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Yeah it's a big ploy by NPHET to keep us all inside because that makes loads of sense, they're mad to have the case numbers increase, sure why not..

Or.. maybe we're finally on a road to better testing, tracing and surge control, meaning no more lockdowns and better understanding of the virus.

But yeah, it's a big mysterious plot by NPHET, even though other countries successfully containing this virus have been doing it for the guts of a year.

People are all mad to get out of lockdown and then they're mad at measures that help us out of lockdown, it's hilariously sad.

How will higher case numbers get Ireland out of lockdown?

Knowing it’s case numbers that are a metric used to justify lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

According to George

I'm in a house of 6 . Me and my daughter have it . Rest of the house came back negative today .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

According to George

That's because he just made it up :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

According to George

Blatant lies like that will just piss people off even more than they are already.

I can see a lot of parallels between George's performance as a journalist and as a politician, in the sense that he's completely ****ing useless at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Normal One wrote: »
    That's because he just made it up :p

There was actually a UK study that put it as between 40% to 90% more transmissible.

George likes the extremes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Case rate per capita in Northern Ireland is now 46% below the south’s case rate per capita:

https://mobile.twitter.com/illustratethis/status/1378007490013622276

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

According to George

George was saying on the news at one that “they “ estimate that if we relax restrictions we’ll be looking at 2500 cases a day by July

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

I heard him on the radio today and it dawned on me that he really does not understand what is going on or have a good handle on the intricacies of the pandemic. He is a bit bit like a parrot just repeating inanities. Like his general reporting and his political career he seems self obsessed, unaware and a little stupid.

He's got a masters in economics or something. He's not a trained journalist and has no experience in either science or the environment - his two portfolios in the RTE Newsroom. So what you say is perfectly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Case rate per capita in Northern Ireland is now 46% below the south’s case rate per capita:

https://mobile.twitter.com/illustratethis/status/1378007490013622276

Shows the impact of the vaccine.

I posted on the vaccine thread yesterday how case numbers in the over 60s are really starting to decrease significantly now. As of yesterday over 60s were responsible for less than 9% of new cases in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

is_that_so wrote: »
    The deal has been superseded by newer scientific advice and we are following the science.

What scientific evidence? Tomas Ryan is of the opinion it’s a political rather than scientific decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

According to George

Which variant is he on about, still just the good old B117?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He's got a masters in economics or something. He's not a trained journalist and has no experience in either science or the environment - his two portfolios in the RTE Newsroom. So what you say is perfectly true.

Not a 'trained journalist? What an odd thing to say, most of the great journalists were never 'trained' as such

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Shows the impact of the vaccine.

I posted on the vaccine thread yesterday how case numbers in the over 60s are really starting to decrease significantly now. As of yesterday over 60s were responsible for less than 9% of new cases in NI.

Our politicians here are still dragging their feet to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm in a house of 6 . Me and my daughter have it . Rest of the house came back negative today .

I have the new variant, 4 tested & 4 positive. One does not even live with us! He tested negative on Sunday but positive on Wednesday. You will need a second test!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

• Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Good to hear but the further tests will be the real decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

George was saying on the news at one that “they “ estimate that if we relax restrictions we’ll be looking at 2500 cases a day by July

Desperately irresponsible journalist. We need light at the end of the tunnel. Let's open up. The positive cases are affecting more and more those that will have a mild illness or none at all.

h2005 wrote: »
    What scientific evidence? Tomas Ryan is of the opinion it’s a political rather than scientific decision.
    It came from Professor Karina Butler and her team. Pretty sure she's qualified. There are a number of countries already doing that so we have data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

A political decision? Well, it's definitely not that. Who could think that de-prioritising teachers would play well politically?

I'm actually quite proud of our politicians for following the scientific advice on this one. The easy thing to do politically would be to leave the cohorts as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Tomas has had his time in the sun and made the most of it but it's time now for him to go back to whatever he was at before this all kicked off. We'll give him another run out if things don't work out with the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

is_that_so wrote: »
    It came from Professor Karina Butler and her team. Pretty sure she's qualified. There are a number of countries already doing that so we have data.

What is it though? I’m not questioning anyone’s qualifications. I’d like to see what the decision is based on though.

• Advertisement

What is it though? I’m not questioning anyone’s qualifications. I’d like to see what the decision is based on though.

She's talked about it quite a few times.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/age-the-defining-factor-in-covid-19-risk-not-profession-1.4525022

HSE mention it too.
    Our priority is to protect the people who are most likely to have a poor outcome or die if they get COVID-19.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout/rollout.html#later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement