Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

is_that_so wrote: »

It mirrors research out of the UK that I have heard Whitty talk about. That once people in front line professions jave been taken out as have been vaccinated (and they will still have priority in the schedule) the remainder are at no additional risk, and age rather than occupation becomes the primary risk factor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Yeah, the Orwellian circle jerking among some in here is the saddest thing I've seen. It's the main reason I'm looking forward to things opening up again, so they can look back and see how thick they were.

The signal to noise ratio in the thread and the forum generally was getting too high, so I decided it wasn't really worth the close attention any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What’s all this about varadkar and Coveney blocking eu countries from being included on the quarantine list??

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Eod100 wrote: »

Interesting, I thought they wouldn't even have been able to board the aircraft in the first place without evidence of the negative PCR test - perhaps policies vary from airline to airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

h2005 wrote: »
    What is it though? I’m not questioning anyone’s qualifications. I’d like to see what the decision is based on though.

In simple terms what Karina Butler said that the highest risk of dying from Covid is age not occupation
    So they chose the highest risk of dying groups based on age not occupation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What’s all this about varadkar and Coveney blocking eu countries from being included on the quarantine list??
    Legal issues - mainly freedom of movement. I think there's also a sense of the DoH (and Donnelly) doing a solo run on this.

AxleAddict wrote: »
    Interesting, I thought they wouldn't even have been able to board the aircraft in the first place without evidence of the negative PCR test - perhaps policies vary from airline to airline.

They could have had negative but with Dubai had to do mhq anyway which they were refusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I walked out of the room and waited and came back in and RTÉ were doing a depressing tour of the European continent. Can they stop for even a day ?

Remember the outcry because we had figures on Christmas Day, so many people giving out because they wanted to spend the day without hearing about the figures. They just wanted one day...........to spend with family, with granny and not think about Covid, silly old George Lee, sure he only talking rubbish and as for Nphet, did you know they inflate figures to scare us and they are all dictators and want to rule us and couldn't give a toss whether you get Covid or not. They just doing it because they want to be on the telly. Ah Im going to turn the TV off, enough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

AxleAddict wrote: »

They may well have had negative tests, but the UAE is on the Category 2 list, i.e. off to the hotel you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Qrt wrote: »
    They may well have had negative tests, but the UAE is on the Category 2 list, i.e. off to the hotel you go.

Wonder when they’ll be removed from list. Good progress on vaccine rollout there. Cases are still high but I would expect them to reduce over next few weeks. Not sure if we were told what metric is needed for a country to come off list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Wonder when they’ll be removed from list. Good progress on vaccine rollout there. Cases are still high but I would suspect them to reduce over next few weeks. Not sure if we were told what metric is needed for a country to come off list

If Boris decided it’s off the list for the UK it’s likely going to be off the list for Ireland

If Boris decided it’s off the list for the UK it’s likely going to be off the list for Ireland

And it looks like that is based on vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

is_that_so wrote: »
    Legal issues - mainly freedom of movement. I think there's also a sense of the DoH (and Donnelly) doing a solo run on this.

aka bullshyte, Germany had no problems closing its borders. Is Austria some sort of lesser EU country that can be quarantined without the same legal issues? If they don't quarantine France with its caseload, variant profile and numbers traveling here. How could anybody argue there is any merit quarantining people from anywhere. Israel is on the list ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m not in favour if these walk in centres. I think it’s a ploy by NPHET to keep case numbers high

While this post might outwardly seem to have a fair bit of “tin hat” to it, the fact is that Ireland has jumped from under 100k tests per week to 125k tests per week with the absolute number of positive tests remaining static. Whether that is a deliberate strategy or not, it does point to a level of incompatibility within the data where absolute numbers are used as the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pair of idiots.

Dochas Centre versus Crowne Plaza; I know which I would pick!

Marcusm wrote: »
    While this post might outwardly seem to have a fair bit of “tin hat” to it, the fact is that Ireland has jumped from under 100k tests per week to 125k tests per week with the absolute number of positive tests remaining static. Whether that is a deliberate strategy or not, it does point to a level of incompatibility within the data where absolute numbers are used as the headline.

Exactly.

We’ve increased the amount of tests carried out dramatically and are now using the extra cases found as evidence of a possible “4th wave”.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Not a 'trained journalist? What an odd thing to say, most of the great journalists were never 'trained' as such

Not qualified then, how's that?
    Are you calling George Lee a great journalist? Is that what's happening here?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,698 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

seamus wrote: »
    Stink of entitlement off this pair.

Its just a pity theres nowhere to deport them to... but who else would them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seamus wrote: »
    Stink of entitlement off this pair.

Perhaps but that legislation is going to be challenged at some point.

Exactly.

We’ve increased the amount of tests carried out dramatically and are now using the extra cases found as evidence of a possible “4th wave”.

But why isn't there anyone in NPHET who sees that that's what happening?

And people are surprised that millions of people around the world are thinking x y and z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I walked out of the room and waited and came back in and RTÉ were doing a depressing tour of the European continent. Can they stop for even a day ?
    Time to turn it off.

Catching asymptomatic cases breaks chains of transmission though. The people they infect could well have symptoms and test positive after. Its a sensible strategy and gives more accurate of how many cases are in community.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Statistics is a science but the use of statistics is an art. You have to look very closely at the way words are used in the presentation of data. Absolute numbers and percentages are frequently interchanged. Anecdotes and scientifically proven facts are also mixed together in order to get a message across.
    Maybe it is justified to play around with data if the right message gets across in the end.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Statistics is a science but the use of statistics is an art. You have to look very closely at the way words are used in the presentation of data. Absolute numbers and percentages are frequently interchanged. Anecdotes and scientifically proven facts are also mixed together in order to get a message across.
    Maybe it is justified to play around with data if the right message gets across in the end.

It’s getting to the stage where only those who don’t need to repeatedly hear the message are the only ones listening, and it’s causing them unnecessary worry and lack of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Exactly.

If that is intentionally being done then that game will only work for the short term. As levels of infection drop the amount of tests required to keep positive numbers high would be unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Eod100 wrote: »
    Catching asymptomatic cases breaks chains of transmission though. The people they infect could well have symptoms and test positive after. Its a sensible strategy and gives more accurate of how many cases are in community.

No no, it's NPHET and the HSE wanting to increase case loads because you know, it makes it look like they're doing their job well. It's similar to a butcher spreading ecoli throughout their food, it makes no sense but some people here just can't accept that things are as they are, theres always some mad theory from someone.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    No no, it's NPHET and the HSE wanting to increase case loads (not possible, if they exist

It’s evidence that NPHET and HSE are given unlimited resources to assist with the narrow remit they were given which was to only concern themselves with Covid.

I’d prefer it they allocated extra resources, resources which were never available before for some reason, to cancer detection and other health issues.

Might help deal with the catastrophe coming down the tracks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement