Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

It’s evidence that NPHET and HSE are given unlimited resources to assist with the narrow remit they were given which was to only concern themselves with Covid.

I’d prefer it they allocated extra resources, resources which were never available before for some reason, to cancer detection and other health issues.

Might help deal with the catastrophe coming down the tracks

That's a different issue altogether though, we're talking about someone saying NPHET want to increase case numbers through increased testing as part of some sinister scheme.

What you're talking about is a tragedy and just another victim of this pandemic, as well as our **** health service, not NPHET.

Increased testing is a great thing and how we get back to normal, it's the plan other than lockdown that people have been asking for but are now turning their nose up to because they're not anti lockdown, they're anti establishment.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Increased testing is a great thing and how we get back to normal, it's the plan other than lockdown that people have been asking for but are now turning their nose up to because they're not anti lockdown, they're anti establishment.

Increased testing is a double-edged sword.

Yes, greater monitoring of the situation but also identification of cases which may not otherwise have been found - meaning higher case numbers reported daily, and then that figure being used as evidence of a new wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Someone on an Irish times facebook article on testing reckons the guys in NPHET are personally benefitting from testing.:)

As much as I’m not a fan of lockdowns and so on or even NPHET, I had a serious laugh at one of the lads I work with! He’s 100% sure for every death announced thy hospital or care home gets €15,000, that’s why there’s so many deaths announced!! I actually laughed in his face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭blowitupref

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not a big decrease but still a decrease

8 further deaths RIP 591 new confirmed cases

A decrease from 12,906 more tests carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That's a different issue altogether though, we're talking about someone saying NPHET want to increase case numbers through increased testing as part of some sinister scheme.

What you're talking about is a tragedy and just another victim of this pandemic, as well as our **** health service, not NPHET.

It’s a victim of the response to Covid, not the virus itself.

Can you explain how increased testing will allow us get back to normal, knowing what we know about the ultra conservativeness seen in Ireland?

I’ve not seen much signs of science or data involved in Ireland’s approach, or does Ireland have data on rapid antigen tests or risks related to construction that the rest of the globe doesn’t?

• Advertisement

Yes, greater monitoring of the situation but also identification of cases which may not otherwise have been found - meaning higher case numbers reported daily, and then that figure being used as evidence of a new wave.

Where are you getting that from though? What evidence do you have, other than a few people on an internet forum, that NPHET might be using this increased testing as a way of falsifying a fourth wave, and why would they even want to do that in the first place? Are they not human beings also sharing this little island with the rest of us, do you not think they also want to continue being human beings, within a free society? Think about it logically, take a step back and look at the entire situation before jumping to these mad conclusions.

Increased testing is not a double edged sword, we need to know as much about the situation as we can, data is king in the fight against this and is how we return to normal. This is how other countries have gone relatively unscathed.

Can you at least tell me if you have a genuine reason to believe NPHET are trying to orchestrate a fourth wave, with some evidence?

It’s a victim of the response to Covid, not the virus itself.

Can you explain how increased testing will allow us get back to normal, knowing what we know about the ultra conservativeness seen in Ireland?

I’ve not seen much signs of science or data involved in Ireland’s approach, or does Ireland have data on rapid antigen tests or risks related to construction that the rest of the globe doesn’t?

It's a victim of the pandemic.

Increased testing allows for a wider picture, giving us a more accurate mortality rate, which will definitely be revised down again when cases increase against deaths.

I can't speak to decisions to close construction but echoing my point above, would a better understanding and more data not lead to them opening that sector up as opposed to the opposite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

So what amount of deaths do people feel is acceptable for us to open up? If we went zero covid we wouldn't have to have this conversation

we had not many deaths from covid last year really, i would take up to 1500 deaths from it a year as accepteable , most definitley.

I can't speak to decisions to close construction but echoing my point above, would a better understanding and more data not lead to them opening that sector up as opposed to the opposite?

Logically it should

I’ve seen no logic used in Ireland so far

Dickie10 wrote: »
    we had not many deaths from covid last year really, i would take up to 1500 deaths from it a year as accepteable , most definitley.

We take 30,000 deaths a year as acceptable most years

• Advertisement

Logically it should

I’ve seen no logic used in Ireland so far

So what's your solution, dwell on poor practice in the past and let it taint good practice going forward? In what way is that constructive and what does it achieve? It's complaining for the sake of complaining.

So what's your solution, dwell on poor practice in the past and let it taint good practice going forward? In what way is that constructive and what does it achieve? It's complaining for the sake of complaining.

No, I’d immediately like to start following data and science that happens to take into account a plethora of issues, economic & health, and act accordingly.

Right now we are acting on a belief that if we allow inter county travel or sports the hospitals won’t cope

No, I’d immediately like to start following data and science that happens to take into account a plethora of issues, economic & health, and act accordingly.

Right now we are acting on a belief that if we allow inter county travel or sports the hospitals won’t cope

I'm not really seeing how that relates to the increased testing we're seeing, do you think that's a good or bad thing or what? I'm confused because that's the point where you came in.

I'm not really seeing how that relates to the increased testing we're seeing, do you think that's a good or bad thing or what? I'm confused because that's the point where you came in.

Apologies, got sidetracked.

Extra testing is a total waste of time and limited resources, IMO.

We have 20,000 vaccines going in per day.

Case numbers are fast becoming irrelevant, and likely already are.

Apologies, got sidetracked.

Extra testing is a total waste of time and limited resources, IMO.

We have 20,000 vaccines going in per day.

Case numbers are fast becoming irrelevant, and likely already are.

That's fair enough, your opinion is your opinion.

I think that a perfect scenario is where we vaccinate everyone and increase testing at the same time, allowing us to accurately measure the vaccine efficacy internally, as well as be on the look out for any possible surges that could arise, there's still a lot of unknowns with the vaccine and the impact of mutation.

It's all well and good when the vaccine takes hold, bringing us all back to normal, I cannot wait for the day. This board will get very quiet.. but it will only be when we miss an opportunity to stomp out an unsuspecting surge that the crowd will come pouring back on here to shake fists at the government who didn't prepare, so this is the preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

is_that_so wrote: »
    It also suggests this is a valuable new tool. Rapid testing needs a role as well.

Pity the country is 12 months behind the rest of the world with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

How much does a pcr test cost, out of interest?

There was an episode of the simpsons were there was an asteroid coming to hit the town. everyone was in a panic but in the end the thing burned up in the atmosphere. Just then one of the crowd/mob shouted out “ let’s go burn the observatory so this never happens again”

Pity the country is 12 months behind the rest of the world with it though.

Name 10 countries that were mass testing for Covid -19 12 months ago. It should be easy if the rest of the world was at it.

Another example of complaining for the sake of complaining. A positive action in place and people still complain, it's gas.

mollser wrote: »
    How much does a pcr test cost, out of interest?

The cheapest commercially available I can see is €99. Say there a hefty 100% mark up on that, is it right that the state could procure a pcr test for€50 each?

So at 20k tests we're spending €1m a day on the pcr testing, more likely 4m and given hse procurement expertise probably 6m.

How are no journalists questioning focking anything is beyond me

• Advertisement

The cheapest commercially available I can see is €99. Say there a hefty 100% mark up on that, is it right that the state could procure a pcr test for€50 each?

So at 20k tests we're spending €1m a day on the pcr testing, more likely 4m and given hse procurement expertise probably 6m.

Do you think we should scrap testing because it costs the state money? What's your solution..

That’s a pitence compared to the money the OPW waste.

Do you think we should scrap testing because it costs the state money? What's your solution..

I'll just add it on to the 1 billion per month on pup etc. No probs value for money :)

I'll just add it on to the 1 billion per month on pup etc. No probs value for money :)

All I'm hearing is the usual complaint about government spending given without any real understanding of the implications if this spending didn't occur. But sure, cut all testing and let us run blind, that won't cost more in the long run will it?

Yeah or maybe divert focus to vaccinations. Not so long ago we were all mocking the north for their 20%+ positivity rate.

They focused on vaccinations, as are we, but we're also ramping up testing on a remarkable scale. Flush them out I say. The cost be dammed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE Operations report

232 in hospital, down from 255 last night

60 in ICU , down from 61. Unfortunately 2 deaths in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

HSE 8pm Report:

Hospital: 232 (-23)
    ICU: 60 (-1)
    2 Deaths in ICU

This time last week:
    Hospital: 304
    ICU: 66

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wolf359f wrote: »
    HSE 8pm Report:

Hospital: 232 (-23)
    ICU: 60 (-1)
    2 Deaths in ICU

This time last week:
    Hospital: 304
    ICU: 66

Good progress on the hospital front this week. Things slowed down for a week there but good progress again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Genuine question here. Why are they setting up these random test centres and encouraging people without symptoms to go get tests?

Has this been happening all through the pandemic? If not, why now?

I know it’s done in areas where there are high incidence rates but I can’t understand it to be honest. I feel like they’re trying to root out as many cases as possible, and I’m not a conspiracy nut either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Good progress on the hospital front this week. Things slowed down for a week there but good progress again this week.

You can clearly see about 10 days ago, the hospital figures where staying high, hence the talk of a surge etc... seems to have just been a week like that and then it's back to decent drops. Bank holiday's certainly don't help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement