Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Total hospital number 8am Monday 331
    Total hospital number 8pm Friday 232

Drop of 99 (30%) so far this week.

Lowest number in hospital at 8pm daily since 19th December (202)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,480 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Total hospital number 8am Monday 331
    Total hospital number 8pm Friday 232

Drop of 99 (30%) so far this week.

Lowest number in hospital at 8pm daily since 19th December (202)

Very good news but sadly the media will portray it a different way and try spin it instil fear so we won't slip up for the easter holidays

terrible way of living atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Rte still have it that the hospitals are under "severe pressure"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Genuine question here. Why are they setting up these random test centres and encouraging people without symptoms to go get tests?

Has this been happening all through the pandemic? If not, why now?

I know it’s done in areas where there are high incidence rates but I can’t understand it to be honest. I feel like they’re trying to root out as many cases as possible, and I’m not a conspiracy nut either.

We didn't have the capacity to do this at the beginning of this pandemic, the manufacturers just couldn't dish out enough testing kits for the global demand. If that wasn't an issue, we would have been doing this long ago.

If done correctly, it can give us close to a live picture of spread and can let us see the vaccine work in real time, see where it fails, see when surges occur unexpectedly.

The more information we have, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Eod100 wrote: »
    Catching asymptomatic cases breaks chains of transmission though. The people they infect could well have symptoms and test positive after. Its a sensible strategy and gives more accurate of how many cases are in community.

Fauci thinks otherwise

https://twitter.com/scrahallia/status/1378081715684573189

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Genuine question here. Why are they setting up these random test centres and encouraging people without symptoms to go get tests?

I know it’s done in areas where there are high incidence rates but I can’t understand it to be honest. I feel like they’re trying to root out as many cases as possible, and I’m not a conspiracy nut either.

It should have been done a long time ago. It wasn't for whatever reason. But it is now. And the more cases you discover, the more you can advise people to isolate. Not everyone will comply, but a fair amount will. And we know there is a decent number of people out there with it that never even feel remotely sick or ill. So if you can get some of these people that have it and didn't know due to being asymptomatic to isolate and cut down contacts, you are reducing the opportunities for them to transmit it. With vaccines we're on the final stretch, but to put us in the best circumstances for vaccines to really show how effective they are. We need cases and transmission to drop.

These test centers are just another tool to try get us out of this mess. And well overdue in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

First word out of his mouth: Historically.
    This Covid seems like a different respiratory virus compared to what came before it. The twitter quote completely taking it out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Wolf359f wrote: »
    This Covid seems like a different respiratory virus compared to what came before it. The twitter quote completely taking it out of context.

Well it did come from a page called "concerned citizen" that has a skull and bones flag beside the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Full on rave with about 200 teenagers in terenure, going on hours no Garda in sight

Wolf359f wrote: »

He was speaking in relation to covid.
    These asymptomatic test centres are like speed traps on the N11. Shooting fish in a barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Heard an interview with a HSE spokesperson on rte drivetime earlier this week.
    The walk-in test centres are being setup on a trial basis in areas of high incidence.
    The idea is to make it as easy as possible to get tested, for people without any symptoms, and so prevent further spread.
    Its following best practice in other countries.
    I'm surprised at the positivity rates of around 1.5% so far reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

coastwatch wrote: »
    The walk-in test centres are being setup on a trial basis in areas of high incidence.
    The idea is to make it as easy as possible to get tested, for people without any symptoms, and so prevent further spread.

They are very selective in what science they follow from other countries

mollser wrote: »
    Rte still have it that the hospitals are under "severe pressure"!

With 232 hospital cases across the 29 centres, that gives an average of 8 people per hospital.

The Mater has the highest today with 26.

On 17th January we had 1982 hospital cases across the 29 centres, that gives an average of 68 people per hospital.

CUH had the highest with 162.

As of today we are 88% down from this peak.

As of today we still have 100% of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

theballz wrote: »
    Full on rave with about 200 teenagers in terenure, going on hours no Garda in sight

Local myself, where abouts it it?

Beverly Hills, California

coastwatch wrote: »

The problem is that PCR tests catch past infections. I already know of at least 6 people who have had covid and test positive on PCR up to 3 months after they have recovered. That's also why people are now considered negative automatically after 10 days (Previously they were continually tested until negative or 'recovered').

That's why The HSPC denotify any 'case' where they were already positive in the previous 6 months.

These test centres are in many case catching people who had covid weeks or months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

As of today we still have 100% of restrictions

I think we can all cope a bit longer, I can't wait to stumble out of the pub again but I'll hold out a bit longer if it means not having to deal with Level 5 after May.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well it did come from a page called "concerned citizen" that has a skull and bones flag beside the name.

So that's not Fauci saying those words?

He was speaking in relation to covid.
    These asymptomatic test centres are like speed traps on the N11. Shooting fish in a barrel.

He prefaces his entire statement with 'historically', I'd also be curious when he made that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very good news but sadly the media will portray it a different way and try spin it instil fear so we won't slip up for the easter holidays

terrible way of living atm

they were "worried" and it was worrying on the news earleir alright, they said 10 people had been admitted in last 24 hours

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    I think we can all cope a bit longer, I can't wait to stumble out of the pub again but I'll hold out a bit longer if it means not having to deal with Level 5 after May.

Pubs opening is a long long time off, that’s a minor issue in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 15,449 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The problem is that PCR tests catch past infections. I already know of at least 6 people who have had covid and test positive on PCR up to 3 months after they have recovered. That's also why people are now considered negative automatically after 10 days (Previously they were continually tested until negative or 'recovered').

That's why The HSPC denotify any 'case' where they were already positive in the previous 6 months.

These test centres are in many case catching people who had covid weeks or months ago.

This is just not true. The conspiracy around these popup test centers are getting tiresome.

549052.JPG

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/symptom-free-walk-in-covid19-testing.html

copeyhagen wrote: »
    they were "worried" and it was worrying on the news earleir alright, they said 10 people had been admitted in last 24 hours

Did they comment that 30 people were discharged?

That's not true at all. I could be pre-symptomatic and test positive and still have symptoms 10 days after that. I've never heard this new policy where people are assumed negative after 10 days.

HPSC will not consider a second positive as a new case, simply because it's not a new case, it's an existing case. It's the same policy from day 1. Plenty of people test positive on day 0 and positive on day 10, they don't get get announced as 2 new cases and then later de-notifed. The swabs are checked and no extra case would be notified to the HPSC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Local myself, where abouts it it?

Bushy

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

With 232 hospital cases across the 29 centres, that gives an average of 8 people per hospital.

The Mater has the highest today with 26.

On 17th January we had 1982 hospital cases across the 29 centres, that gives an average of 68 people per hospital.

CUH had the highest with 162.

And today there is 4 in CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

theballz wrote: »
    Bushy

Not worth the energy, they're essentially in the school setting they'll soon find themselves in but outdoors. Who are we to tell 16-19 year olds to give up the best years of their lives.

Beverly Hills, California

Just is just not true. The conspiracy around these popup test centers are getting tiresome.

549052.JPG

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/symptom-free-walk-in-covid19-testing.html

You don't seem to understand what I am saying at all.
    They are advising not to be tested if you had tested positive in the previous six months because you can still show positive from that infection up to 6 months later.

People who are asymptomatic may be PCR positive now or have been covid positive (bit not tested) in the previous 6 months.

PCR testes in such circumstances are not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

You don't seem to understand what I am saying at all.
    They are advising not to be tested if you had tested positive in the previous six months because you can still show positive from that infection up to 6 months later.

People who are asymptomatic may be PCR positive now or have been covid positive (bit not tested) in the previous 6 months.

PCR testes in such circumstances are not fit for purpose.

There was an episode of the simpsons.....

• Advertisement

There was an episode of the simpsons.....

You really have no idea what you are talking about.
    I know at least 5 people who caught Covid, had symptoms and isolated for 10-14 days as told but more than a month after recovery were still testing positive on a PCR test.

This is why Antigen tests should be used in such circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement