Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Ironically the South Korea government approved the rapid antigen tests, they may not have the data that NPHET do on its limitations.

Ireland is using lockdown as its primary measure to control Covid, that’s not going to change

It’s the government who made that choice not NEPHT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Actually just thinking ‘Does Kerry even have a case in hospital?’ They average 4 cases a day....I’m surprised more politicians haven’t kicked up a fuss from Kerry....Kind of crazy they are on same lockdown as Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Actually just thinking ‘Does Kerry even have a case in hospital?’ They average 4 cases a day....I’m surprised more politicians haven’t kicked up a fuss from Kerry....Kind of crazy they are on same lockdown as Dublin....

Seems like Dublin needs to stay in Level 5 while the rest of the country get less restrictions.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Seems like Dublin needs to stay in Level 5 while the rest of the country get less restrictions.

The main goal of politicians is to be re elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Not quite saying that but should possibly be looked at....Other places have higher infection rates than Dublin...

• Advertisement

You really have no idea what you are talking about.
    I know at least 5 people who caught Covid, had symptoms and isolated for 10-14 days as told but more than a month after recovery were still testing positive on a PCR test.

This is why Antigen tests should be used in such circumstances.

5 people it was six yesterday, it’s also the first time you mention antigen tests. Make up your mind cause I think you really don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The problem is that PCR tests catch past infections. I already know of at least 6 people who have had covid and test positive on PCR up to 3 months after they have recovered. That's also why people are now considered negative automatically after 10 days (Previously they were continually tested until negative or 'recovered').

That's why The HSPC denotify any 'case' where they were already positive in the previous 6 months.

These test centres are in many case catching people who had covid weeks or months ago.

There are so many errors in that piece. It's no wonder people are confused being misled by random pieces filled with errors. They are not considered negative after 10 days, indeed it's considered vital that a 10 day test is carried out. They are not catching cases from up to 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭prunudo

Joking aside, Offaly could also do with longer restrictions, their 14day /100k average seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Knine wrote: »
    I have the new variant, 4 tested & 4 positive. One does not even live with us! He tested negative on Sunday but positive on Wednesday. You will need a second test!

They are getting another test on Tuesday . How did you find out you had the new variant . Our text never went into that detail

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

So, the phases for April. These lightening of restrictions don't make fúck all difference to most people (with all due respect to people in sports etc.)

549057.png

For most people, where is the payback in April?

Oh, and in case we thought there might be hope on the horizon:

549058.png

"Dangerously high....next few months". FFS. That sounds worse than ever.

Even the opening of golf on the 26th is heavily restricted. Guidelines issued by sport Ireland have only approved casual golf. Golfers cant play competitions. I didnt realise covid was so clever it can spot the difference between a competitive golfer and a casual golfer.

For the benefit of non golfers theres no major difference between casual and competitive golf.

The majority of golf clubs have online booking, online payment systems, online score imput systems through phone apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

It is great news. Slightly up this morning (242) but we’ll see fewer discharges now till Tuesday I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Bottom line is logic no longer supports your defence of lockdown to prevent lockdown.
    I think the purpose of "lockdown" is to reduce cases/hospitalizations/deaths etc., as opposed to preventing lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    It is great news. Slightly up this morning (242) but we’ll see fewer discharges now till Tuesday I imagine.
    Don't worry, from now until Tuesday they'll be able to report "hospital cases rise" every day.

They may even report it every morning and evening, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

RGS wrote: »
    Even the opening of golf on the 26th is heavily restricted. Guidelines issued by sport Ireland have only approved casual golf. Golfers cant play competitions. I didnt realise covid was so clever it can spot the difference between a competitive golfer and a casual golfer.

For the benefit of non golfers theres no major difference between casual and competitive golf.

The majority of golf clubs have online booking, online payment systems, online score imput systems through phone apps.

There is no difference between competitive and casual golf in terms of the risk involved. As you rightly pointed all bookings and score entry is online in virtually all clubs now.
    The only reason why golf is not allowed is for the political optics. Golf, as everyone knows, is played only by well-heeled middle-class people and as such cannot be allowed while sports played by the lower classes are banned.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There is no difference between competitive and casual golf in terms of the risk involved. As you rightly pointed all bookings and score entry is online in virtually all clubs now.
    The only reason why golf is not allowed is for the political optics. Golf, as everyone knows, is played only by well-heeled middle-class people and as such cannot be allowed while sports played by the lower classes are banned.:rolleyes:

I am not quite sure it is the case with golf. Lots of golf societies from all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

This is the same we know best, we can control the virus with rules mindset as the €9 meal, 5km travel etc. Golf now is higher risk if it’s in a competition. You couldn’t parody this lunacy. Meanwhile people meet in large groups outside (rightly so) antigen tests are ignored as a fast tool, contact tracing still doesn’t operate as needed and our media plus opposition support the clowns in charge. What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

I am not quite sure it is the case with golf. Lots of golf societies from all walks of life.

Well that's the difference between perception and reality. There would be absolute outrage by the PbP types if golf courses were allowed open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I had a dream last night that 4 million J&J doses arrived in Ireland. All around the country people watched the news of the plane full of vaccines arrive. And most of us cried with happiness. Waking up this morning was painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I also regularly have vaccine dreams now, it's pathetic.

Do ye think we'll hit 5000 deaths before we're all vaccinated?

Has the pain we all endured this year been worth it for that? 5000 people dying in a population of 5m instead of possibly x4 that number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Has the pain we all endured this year been worth it for that? 5000 people dying in a population of 5m instead of possibly x4 that number?

I think that is a positive way of looking at things. The restrictions have saved 15 - 20k lives. I think that is also a realistic figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

If we had never had any restrictions at all the number of deaths would have been much worse. In April 2020 and January 2021 we had about 1,500 excess deaths per month despite being in level 5 lockdown the whole time. I think we’d have hit 5k deaths per month pretty quickly last spring and we could still be at that level today if left unchecked.

I suspect we’d have gone over 100k deaths from Covid without any restrictions with many more getting seriously ill. So in the end we can see that all the lockdowns have been very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

4 x the number of deaths?

Very questionable tbh, certainly with the population demographics in Ireland

Knowing we implemented a plethora of different restrictions which one was the most effective at preventing deaths?

Closing gyms and swimming pools?

The 5km limit

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

4 x the number of deaths?

Very questionable tbh, certainly with the population demographics in Ireland

Knowing we implemented a plethora of different restrictions which one was the most effective at preventing deaths?

Closing gyms and swimming pools?

The 5km limit

If you don’t understand at this stage why the 5km limit was brought in then you never will.

Faugheen wrote: »
    If you don’t understand at this stage why the 5km limit was brought in then you never will.

Believe me, I’ll never understand it.

There is no logic behind why Irish people needed to be contained within 5km of their homes for 5 of the last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

People who actually follow the rules are the fools of the hour. Pity them.

I used to be quite irritated by the complete and flagrant disregard for the rules that I saw all the time - e.g. joggers spitting on the pavement, groups of lads buying slabs of cans, out-of-county number plates on the road etc. However, eventually I came to realise that I was the fool. You will never convince people to sacrifice their happiness for an indefinite length of time. Even Leo had to have his cans in the park last summer.

All of us have developed coping strategies, and almost all of our coping strategies involve breaking the rules - going for a swim on a beach just outside the 5km, meeting group of friends for coffee, maybe (shock/horror) going inside someone else's home. If you're an introvert, like me, who just goes for a run within 5km every few days - and is perfectly happy to supplement this with the odd video call, good for you. For once in your life, you - like me - are what society demands as the norm. Most of the time, you, like me, are anti-social weirdos. Take the opportunity to be smug, it will not last.

The problem is that from the beginning there was no enforcement, and once the virus was brought under control there was no real attempt to keep it under control. So we are now looking at continuing as we are until the end of this year. What gives?

At some stage, perhaps once all of the over 70s are vaccinated, someone has to say "enough" with the restrictions. By that stage, hopefully, the virus will be as bad as the flu for most of the population and catching it and getting sick is an unfortunate occurence. By that stage, hopefully, we can reopen society and the economy. But this is a political decision, which is not based on hard science, because the virus will keep mutating and eventually the vaccines that we currently have will be less effective against it. People will start dying again, and the politician who says "enough" will get vilified.

Anyone who is honest about affairs will accept that it is unlikely that we will vaccinate enough people to satisfy that test. So reopening the economy in June is what makes the most sense - the Over 70s, or most of them, will have more protection. The Healthcare Workers have protection. The rest of us can get on with our lives, mutation shmutation, who will dare stop us? The government? Hah!

I wish it were the case that between now and June we could implement a hard lockdown and drive the virus numbers back into the nether, and then with a mixture of mask wearing on public transport and strict travel bans and quarantine open society safely. However, for ideological reasons the government will not do that, and even if they would people wouldn't believe it possible. So I'm afraid, we're stuck with a recurring cycle of sh1t3.

But onwards we must march. Try and find reasons to be cheerful every day and hold onto them - you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think that is a positive way of looking at things. The restrictions have saved 15 - 20k lives. I think that is also a realistic figure.

Brazil, a country with a complete lunatic in charge who couldn't care less about covid has a death rate around 1.5 times that of Ireland.

What is the reasoning behind thinking we'd have 4 times our death rate without restrictions?

Brazil, a country with a complete lunatic in charge who couldn't care less about covid has a death rate around 1.5 times that of Ireland.

What is the reasoning behind thinking we'd have 4 times our death rate without restrictions?

A simple calculation if you don’t sh1t you burst.

Believe me, I’ll never understand it.

There is no logic behind why Irish people needed to be contained within 5km of their homes for 5 of the last 6 months

There absolutely is logic behind it. It has been explained dozens upon dozens of times.

The likes of you then come in here and peddle nonsense like you are now, acting like it has never been explained

You say there is no logic behind it but that would require to really think about it in the first place.

The funny thing is the answer is actually in your post I’m quoting now but you either can’t see it or you are just ignoring it.

EDIT: the length of time I agree with you, for what it’s worth. It could have been lifted in February.

Faugheen wrote: »
    There absolutely is logic behind it. It has been explained dozens upon dozens of times.

The likes of you then come in here and peddle nonsense like you are now, acting like it has never been explained

You say there is no logic behind it but that would require to really think about it in the first place.

The funny thing is the answer is actually in your post I’m quoting now but you either can’t see it or you are just ignoring it.

EDIT: the length of time I agree with you, for what it’s worth. It could have been lifted in February.

Your not the only person to do this recently but I’m perplexed at why this happens.

Your arguing back and forth and then admit you agree it’s not needed.

• Advertisement

Your not the only person to do this recently but I’m perplexed at why this happens.

Your arguing back and forth and then admit you agree it’s not needed.

No. I said it wasn’t needed for as long as it was.

Your initial post stated it wasn’t needed at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement