Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

In 2 months the vulnerable and vulnerable age groups will be vaccinated.

I think once that happens, people will feel they've done all they can and a return to a new normal will happen.

Once we have the 60+ done and vulnerable groups, the fear factor will end.

Once your older family members and vulnerable are done, we will no longer feel that fear.

Think it is correct to hold firm for 6-8 weeks but after that, the restrictions must not be dragged out.

We need to all buy in for this period knowing once June arrives we are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I think once that happens, people will feel they've done all they can and a return to a new normal will happen.

Once your older family members and vulnerable are done, we will no longer feel that fear.

Think it is correct to hold firm for 6-8 weeks but after that, the restrictions must not be dragged out.

We're gonna see some lovely numbers mid-month onwards I'd say.. can feel it in my waters haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Seen as it’s the first time I’ve heard this I’ll buy in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

People who actually follow the rules are the fools of the hour. Pity them.

I used to be quite irritated by the complete and flagrant disregard for the rules that I saw all the time - e.g. joggers spitting on the pavement, groups of lads buying slabs of cans, out-of-county number plates on the road etc. However, eventually I came to realise that I was the fool. You will never convince people to sacrifice their happiness for an indefinite length of time. Even Leo had to have his cans in the park last summer.

All of us have developed coping strategies, and almost all of our coping strategies involve breaking the rules - going for a swim on a beach just outside the 5km, meeting group of friends for coffee, maybe (shock/horror) going inside someone else's home. If you're an introvert, like me, who just goes for a run within 5km every few days - and is perfectly happy to supplement this with the odd video call, good for you. For once in your life, you - like me - are what society demands as the norm. Most of the time, you, like me, are anti-social weirdos. Take the opportunity to be smug, it will not last.

The problem is that from the beginning there was no enforcement, and once the virus was brought under control there was no real attempt to keep it under control. So we are now looking at continuing as we are until the end of this year. What gives?

At some stage, perhaps once all of the over 70s are vaccinated, someone has to say "enough" with the restrictions. By that stage, hopefully, the virus will be as bad as the flu for most of the population and catching it and getting sick is an unfortunate occurence. By that stage, hopefully, we can reopen society and the economy. But this is a political decision, which is not based on hard science, because the virus will keep mutating and eventually the vaccines that we currently have will be less effective against it. People will start dying again, and the politician who says "enough" will get vilified.

Anyone who is honest about affairs will accept that it is unlikely that we will vaccinate enough people to satisfy that test. So reopening the economy in June is what makes the most sense - the Over 70s, or most of them, will have more protection. The Healthcare Workers have protection. The rest of us can get on with our lives, mutation shmutation, who will dare stop us? The government? Hah!

I wish it were the case that between now and June we could implement a hard lockdown and drive the virus numbers back into the nether, and then with a mixture of mask wearing on public transport and strict travel bans and quarantine open society safely. However, for ideological reasons the government will not do that, and even if they would people wouldn't believe it possible. So I'm afraid, we're stuck with a recurring cycle of sh1t3.

But onwards we must march. Try and find reasons to be cheerful every day and hold onto them - you'll need it.

I do wonder how much the crowd who work from home in their cushy office jobs and drive to the supermarket once or twice a week actually understand how little enforcement is actually going on out there. Especially in Dublin.

Our refrigerator stopped working at the end of February and while we waited for a replacement I had to go to the local Spar to get stuff almost every day. Every single time I went into that shop there were people inside without masks on. Not just once or twice. Every time. No enforcement at all.

That's one example that is undoubtedly being repeated all over the country.

Does anyone think that these folks who can't even be bothered to wear a mask for 5 minutes going into a shop are making sure they don't visit other people's homes etc? We are kidding ourselves on.

The only people really affected by the lockdown are those who had to take a financial hit due to losing good jobs or not being able to find new jobs. There are many thousands out there who just do not care and are not bothered in the slightest by restrictions.

As you say, it's the fools who are obeying the rules that are suffering the most.

Basically the only area where restrictions have been enforced is hospitality and retail with business being forced to close. That's it. Everything else has been allowed to carry on with it being up to the individual to take responsibility for themselves.

You can only laugh as you walk up Grafton Street to Stephen's Green where people are all heading out to meet friends in the park and have a few drinks. A queues for essential ice cream and fast food stretching down the street past business that have been forcibly closed for months.

Mobs of 20 to 30 kids going around on bikes, throwing stuff at some people and hurling racist abuse at others when they have nothing left to throw. Not a Guard in sight, of course.

Protest the lockdown and you'll get their full attention, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Yea most can agree that this is the most sensible approach. But I do think a 4th wave is more likely. hopefully just a surge in cases without as many hospitalizations and deaths as before

• Advertisement

Marie Favrier out pumping the fear of variants on radio today I see.

Saying it could totally undo the work on the vacinne.

It is worrying a person with these outrageous views is on NPHET. This is what we are up against.

At least Ronan Glynn has some nuance, some of the others on it are extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I’d be happy enough with that too but come start of June I’d want to be at level 3 at least....I’ll base this on them hitting or getting close to vaccine numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A gradual return.

The idea that everything can return immediately to normal has been debunked by experience in other countries, particularly Israel and Chile.

Even with the highly vulnerable vaccinated, the disease hospitalises and kills enough of the "non vulnerable" that restrictions have to continue.

Looking at Israel, I'd say we will start limited reopening (e.g. outdoor food) at about 50% vaccinated, but it will take more than that for a wider reopening. Thankfully at that stage we should be receiving over a million doses a month, so it'll be down to encouraging people to get vaccinated as to how quickly we can reach that point.

It is worrying a person with these outrageous views is on NPHET. This is what we are up against.

And some claim NPHET are only concerned with science and data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

If they really gave a sh!t about that they would be vaccinating whole regions at a go instead of this piddly mishmash of the whole country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Exactly, they don't waste time scaremongering. Already questioning the effectiveness of the vaccination campaign they championed.
    More lockdown fodder for storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

hmmm wrote: »
    Thankfully at that stage we should be receiving over a million doses a month, so it'll be down to encouraging people to get vaccinated as to how quickly we can reach that point.

And we do have a general national psyche which means most people will take the the vaccine. Even those who are a little nervous of taking a new vaccine will ultimately take it. Couple that with the emerging studies of vaccine efficacy and safety on children we will hopefully be in a position to start vaccinating younger teens, then children as, or not too long after, all adults have been offered the vaccine. It will hopefully mean that we have enough of the entire population vaccinated to achieve significant herd immunity before too long. Those who don't get vaccinated right away when offered it, may well choose to if they need it for travel and/or mass gatherings in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Her interview is headline news today. Back to square one no less.... apparently....

Nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

hmmm wrote: »
    A gradual return.

The idea that everything can return immediately to normal has been debunked by experience in other countries, particularly Israel and Chile.

Even with the highly vulnerable vaccinated, the disease hospitalises and kills enough of the "non vulnerable" that restrictions have to continue.

Looking at Israel, I'd say we will start limited reopening (e.g. outdoor food) at about 50% vaccinated, but it will take more than that for a wider reopening. Thankfully at that stage we should be receiving over a million doses a month, so it'll be down to encouraging people to get vaccinated as to how quickly we can reach that point.

I'd be looking at the UK more than anywhere else, if they are fully open and no restrctions in middle of June we won't be far behind.

It also needs to be remembered there was high prevelance of the virus when their vaccination program ramped up.

If we reopen (reasonably unrestricted) with ~50% vaccinated and low prevelance, during the summer, I cant see the virus gaining a foothold.

At moment it's about 1 in a 1000 people a day testing positive, if it goes to 1 in 5000, and 50% vaccinated, the rest will be vaccinated long before covid gets going.

Quite frankly the emerging more powerful variants which seem less responsive to current vaccines are causing me concern. I hate to think about it, but I believe it will a couple of years before we are back to near normal, as vaccines and vaccination system are tweaked. I imagine foreign travel and indoor pubs are something which will be last to return to default.

Quite frankly the emerging more powerful variants which seem less responsive to current vaccines are causing me concern. I hate to think about it, but I believe it will a couple of years before we are back to near normal, as vaccines and vaccination system are tweaked. I imagine foreign travel and indoor pubs are something which will be last to return to default.

I could have missed this but listening to Luke O Neill and other sources there is no evidence that any variant is less responsive to vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

What variants are currently not responsive to vaccines?

I agree with your last sentence but the first part is a non issue. Any vaccination is a good vaccination and currently, all variants are grand vaccine wise. Over time if and only if one of them becomes particularly problematic, the vaccines will be tweaked to suit, and the mRNA tech will make this super simple. They're also developing a variant proof vaccine too which is going through trials currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

See a story going around but Martin breaking restrictions to have an indoor event back in December honouring his father. Video of him joking about social distancing and telling someone to take off their mask.

Another golfgate maybe.

titan18 wrote: »
    See a story going around but Martin breaking restrictions to have an indoor event back in December honouring his father. Video of him joking about social distancing and telling someone to take off their mask.

Another golfgate maybe.

Complete over blown story but people desperate to knock him. Pretty sad to see the same people trying to bring down certain people. Pathetic really.

I am no big fan of MM but this story is one of the most pathetic i have seen and illustrates how ridiculous things have went in this country.

All funded by Paddy Cosgrave probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

This entire covid thing is a complete pisstake at this stage.

The economy needs to crack on and young peoples mental health needs to come into consideration moreso than it already is.

Ring fence the at risk and vulnerable. The world needs to get on with things now. It’s abit much at this stage

TheDoctor wrote: »
    What variants are currently not responsive to vaccines?

I can’t believe someone from NPHET is implying this utter nonsense.

People’s confidence in vaccines and wellbeing is being destroyed by these absolute cretins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Complete over blown story but people desperate to knock him. Pretty sad to see the same people trying to bring down certain people. Pathetic really.

I am no big fan of MM but this story is one of the most pathetic i have seen and illustrates how ridiculous things have went in this country.

Rubbish, the instructions/restrictions at the time were for no indoor meetings. He broke the rules to attend a hardly essential indoor meeting, he is in trouble.

I can’t believe someone from NPHET is implying this utter nonsense.

People’s confidence in vaccines and wellbeing is being destroyed by these absolute cretins

Yep. She needs to be reeled in, told to shut up and stop sowing fear and doubt in these vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf we couldn't do the same thing at the time and he decided he could. He should be leading by example rather than flouting the rules like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

FFVII wrote: »

Honouring his father. Lovely... While some large families has to choose who attends their family member's funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

I do wonder how much the crowd who work from home in their cushy office jobs and drive to the supermarket once or twice a week actually understand how little enforcement is actually going on out there. Especially in Dublin.

You're damn right. The longer level 5 has dragged on, the more people are ignoring it. I'm a fool keeping to the rules, but then I'm pretty introverted anyway with older parents that I visit.

Kids have ignored it totally for months - they're hanging out in my local park groups of 50 and 60. With parents driving in to pick them up! Right now there's an organised adult football match going on in the same park with a large number of the cars' plates being out of county (not sure why that is). I mean people don't turn up in county colours just by chance.

The 5 km thing is right out the window - there's droves of people driving out to Howth, Malahide and Portmarnock given the weather in the last week. Traffic is mental (ie: back to normal!).

And I'm in an area where almost everyone wears a mask, in the local Dunnes at least. In the local Spar, it's not too bad - I asked the guy behind the counter and he says people without masks usually mumble some sort of stupid excuse, he doesn't even listen any more.

And I'm living in an area which is probably a bit more complaint, law wise. God knows what's going on in other areas.

People are getting all shouty about the Beacon and other incidents; meanwhile the Irish Times points out that there's a massive mismatch between the HSE's 220,000 vaccinated "front line" workers and the number of people who are actually front line workers. That means that while the red tops are screaming about private schools and a few 10s of doses, there could be tens of thousands of people who've skipped the queue.

I feel like a twat even typing any of this. It's just complaining into a void :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf we couldn't do the same thing at the time and he decided he could. He should be leading by example rather than flouting the rules like that.

Micheál breaks the rules and it's 'overblown'.

People meet up outside or break the 5km and they're scum of the earth causing our restrictions to be extended.

To be honest I don't think what Martin did is a big deal at all, but the difference in the reaction to it compared to anyone else breaking the rules is interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement