Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

FFVII wrote: »
    Was it not?

I lost interest around the time it was ok for texas folk to fly here with they were the hot spot of the world. I see the US should be on quarantine list this week but still no.

Nothing changed a year later.

All that you have posted have absolutely nothing to do with with how deaths by notified diseases are recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I live in your universe , here in south Dublin and I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone without a mask in shops

I work in a retail environment in North Dublin and about 15% of our customers refuse to wear masks on any given day. We're "not allowed" request them to wear one, so they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    I work in a retail environment in North Dublin and about 15% of our customers refuse to wear masks on any given day. We're "not allowed" request them to wear one, so they won't.

Eejits . I guess even a pandemic wont make them any less of an eejit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm in North Dublin and rarely see anyone in a shop without a mask

That said, I'm rarely in the shop, maybe once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

FFVII wrote: »
    Im serious. Were they RTAs that test positive at the hospital and then die from there injuries?

Is this still the way?

I don't follow it anymore.

No, you're not serious.
    Died of what?
    Less waste of plastic for nothing?

There's more; need I go on?

You know rightly what you're doing,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

I don't know if I live in a parallel universe but the last time I saw someone in a shop without a face covering was last summer.

Hahaha. Good one.

Its kind of baffling to me that there's people trying to insist they've seen 100% compliance since last summer.

I don't suppose it matters really.

We must just live in a parrallel universe...

Eejits . I guess even a pandemic wont make them any less of an eejit

It's the lack of any enforcement really.
    I don't think any of the shops are checked by Guards so it's just not enforced.
    If they were refused service because they weren't wearing a mask then it would be different.

Thats not what's happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Its still mandatory for masks to be worn in retail settings sounds like your managers want a quiet life and not to be enforcing the law by asking staff or doing it themselves to ask people to wear masks which is bollocks.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html#
    By law, you must wear a face coverings in:

Shops, including pharmacies
    Shopping centres
    Libraries
    Cinemas and cinema complexes
    Theatres
    Concert halls
    Bingo halls
    Museums
    Nail salons, hair salons and barbers
    Tattoo and piercing parlours
    Travel agents and tour operators
    Laundries and dry cleaners
    Bookmakers
    Banks, credit unions and post offices

It is also mandatory for retail staff to wear a face covering unless there is a partition or they take all reasonable steps to keep a 2-metre distance from others.

You may be asked to remove your face covering to verify your age or identity to staff.

Fine and penalties
    If you do not wear a face covering (or ignore a request to wear one) without a reasonable excuse, you can be fined €80. You must pay this fine within 28 days.

If you do not pay your fine within 28 days, you will be summonsed to court where you may get:

A fine of up to €1,000
    Up to one months' imprisonment
    Both a fine and imprisonment
    You could be fined more or sent to prison for longer, if it is your second or subsequent offence.

Wearing a visor does not satisfy the legal requirement to wear a face covering as it does not cover your nose and mouth.

Public health laws on face coverings are in place until 9 June 2021.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Its kind of baffling to me that there's people trying to insist they've seen 100% compliance since last summer.

I don't suppose it matters really.

We must just live in a parrallel universe...

Why in God's name would I lie? I repeat that I, personally, have not seen anyone in a shop not wearing a mask since last Summer. I go into a shop perhaps twice a week, so not that often. Usually it's my local spar but once a fortnight it's a supermarket.

This will be hard to understand for some of you, but the fact that I have seen 100% compliance where I go doesn't mean that your experiences to the contrary are false. I don't disbelieve you, would might do me the courtesy of not doing likewise.

I should add that my area has had v low covid figures throughout the last year save a brief (big) spike at Christmas. Perhaps, you know, the facts are related - compliance with health advice makes you more likely to be healthy shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

shinzon wrote: »
    Its still mandatory for masks to be worn in retail settings sounds like your managers want a quiet life and not to be enforcing the law by ask
    Shin

The sorts that wander into Spar without a mask up aren't the sorts a young lad or girl on minimum wage is paid to tackle... Enforcement of the law is the job of the Gardai...

Tenz.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

cheezums wrote: »
    ****ing hell. that's quite a bit worse than golfgate. this is gonna blow up.

Don't care how petty this is, he should get the book thrown at him and resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Quite frankly the emerging more powerful variants which seem less responsive to current vaccines are causing me concern. I hate to think about it, but I believe it will a couple of years before we are back to near normal, as vaccines and vaccination system are tweaked. I imagine foreign travel and indoor pubs are something which will be last to return to default.

List them! And which vaccines are they less responsive to? And by what measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The sorts that wander into Spar without a mask up aren't the sorts a young lad or girl on minimum wage is paid to tackle... Enforcement of the law is the job of the Gardai...

Tenz.

Way to miss the second bit of my sentence
    by asking staff or doing it themselves to ask people to wear masks which is bollocks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shin

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Tenz.

I think that's what people don't understand.
    Maybe because they don't personally see it.
    (Which must be nice.)

That's really my point is that people think we are in some strict lockdown with strict rules etc when the reality is that many, many, people are completely just living like normal.

The truth is that there is very little enforcement actually going on.

I mean, this is how it went over the winter.
    We went into Level 4 lockdown but it wasn't actually enforced so we then got to go to Level 5.

Open up for Xmas with no real enforcement of the looser restrictions so it's back into Level 5 for 90 days but it isn't enforced so we need to keep businesses closed because people who don't give a damn about those businesses anyway are allowed to do whatever so cases stay up.

Its still mandatory for masks to be worn in retail settings sounds like your managers want a quiet life and not to be enforcing the law by asking staff or doing it themselves to ask people to wear masks which is bollocks.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html#

Shin

Don't really blame them to be honest. It's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I know. I know it's a legal requirement. We've been told not to enforce it, because "some people can't wear them, you can't discriminate."

Ultimately though some people will not wear them, no matter what we say or do. I'm not paid enough to argue the toss with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have County by County figures been released today?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

wadacrack wrote: »
    Have County by County figures been released today?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I live in your universe , here in south Dublin and I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone without a mask in shops

So, I brought my 80yr old mother to Helix today for first jab. I stopped off in Nans Supervalu in Ballymun to get something. 2 young lads wandering around without a mask. 3 different Supervalu staff working in the aisles with masks completely under the nose. I have sympathy for them, it's likely a pain in the árse with them on all day, but it's not acceptable.

In my own local supervalu yesterday saw someone without a mask too (another young fellah). I have rarely seen older shoppers without masks i.e. over mid-twenties.

• Advertisement

So, I brought my 80yr old mother to Helix today for first jab. I stopped off in Nans Supervalu in Ballymun to get something. 2 young lads wandering around without a mask. 3 different Supervalu staff working in the aisles with masks completely under the nose. I have sympathy for them, it's likely a pain in the árse with them on all day, but it's not acceptable.

In my own local supervalu yesterday saw someone without a mask too (another young fellah). I have rarely seen older shoppers without masks i.e. over mid-twenties.

I'd say inhaling your own C02 for an 8 hour shift would be exceptionally unpleasant and hardly good for anyone's health.

This evening I was taking a walk around my estate which is mixed apartments and houses and is quite upmarket. I passed by as a 60 something year old well-dressed man was taking in orders of delicious smelling restaurant food which, due to the sheer quantity, were being delivered in an estate car as well as a motorcycle. There must have been enough food for 20 people in that delivery, and I was assuming he was from the very large penthouse apartment with its own roof garden. Easter celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Why is it not acceptable?

This evening I was taking a walk around my estate which is mixed apartments and houses and is quite upmarket. I passed by as a 60 something year old well-dressed man was taking in orders of delicious smelling restaurant food which, due to the sheer quantity, were being delivered in an estate car as well as a motorcycle. There must have been enough food for 20 people in that delivery, and I was assuming he was from the very large penthouse apartment with its own roof garden. Easter celebrations.

Seriously, an estate ar would bring enough for 100 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

UK reporting 10 deaths today. Down from 58 last Saturday.

Hopefully we get drops like that in 2/3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭prunudo

jhegarty wrote: »
    UK reporting 10 deaths today. Down from 58 last Saturday.

Hopefully we get drops like that in 2/3 months.

Hopefully in 2/3 months, days of having no covid deaths being announced will be the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd say inhaling your own C02 for an 8 hour shift would be exceptionally unpleasant and hardly good for anyone's health.

Pure bull. Breathing in CO2 will lower your oxygen levels. I wear a mask over my mouth and nose for 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week and my oxygen has never dropped below 99% which is a normal level.

Why is it not acceptable?

Look it up.

lawred2 wrote: »

Yeah, wouldn't like it myself. But are you suggesting that shop workers don't wear masks so?

• Advertisement

Look it up.

Why? You are making the claim, back it up yourself.

People on minimum wage dealing with other people's obnoxious sh1t for 8 hours wear a mask slightly wrong.

Don't see anything unacceptable about it myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement