Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

User1998 wrote: »
    Right. So masks are for protecting others. So person A wears one to protect person B. And person B wears one to protect person A.

Its bullsh*t. Your only saying that because the idea was pushed in the media. You wear PPE to protect yourself not others around you. If someone is worried about catching covid then they should wear a mask and social distance. Simple as

Lol, iv already have covid so I’m ok Jack , to hell with everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Re the mask discussion, before masks were mandated youd look like a weirdo wearing one. Now if you don’t wear one your selfish and scum of the earth? The funny thing is that if the government told us tomorrow that masks were no longer required then the majority of people would stop wearing one. Honestly who even wears a masks for protection now? Very few I’d imagine

And not to mention the fact that most people are wearing those cloth masks that barely offer any amount of protection. People only wear them now because it’s against the rules not to and they don’t want to be the odd one out.

I try my best not to wear one but if a shop worker asks me to put one on then I will and won’t kick up a fuss. The only reason I’l wear one is to show respect to the retail workers. I’ve had covid already and it poses no threat to me so I have no reason to wear one. If covid poses a threat to you well then wear a medical grade face mask and stay 2 metres away from me. Not a poxy cloth yoke with flowers on it that your touching every ten seconds

You'd be showing even more respect if you didn't force them to have to ask you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Re the mask discussion, before masks were mandated youd look like a weirdo wearing one. Now if you don’t wear one your selfish and scum of the earth? The funny thing is that if the government told us tomorrow that masks were no longer required then the majority of people would stop wearing one. Honestly who even wears a masks for protection now? Very few I’d imagine

And not to mention the fact that most people are wearing those cloth masks that barely offer any amount of protection. People only wear them now because it’s against the rules not to and they don’t want to be the odd one out.

I try my best not to wear one but if a shop worker asks me to put one on then I will and won’t kick up a fuss. The only reason I’l wear one is to show respect to the retail workers. I’ve had covid already and it poses no threat to me so I have no reason to wear one. If covid poses a threat to you well then wear a medical grade face mask and stay 2 metres away from me. Not a poxy cloth yoke with flowers on it that your touching every ten seconds
    I'm sure you probably know that you can catch the virus more than once?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When the smoking ban in pubs came in place, did you try your best to ignore it, but decided to not to it out if respect of the staff? If second hand smoking poses a threat to you in indoor places, stay away from me, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I wonder what people think of the "conspiracy theorists" from early in the pandemic?

These "nutjobs" told us the emphasis would change from case numbers to variants, which it now has. It's no longer about preventing an over surge in the health system.

• Advertisement

Masks are over rated.

They obviously don't do much to prevent the spread of the virus yet people act like it's the best thing they can do.

People putting it in their twitter names to let people know how woke they are. Michael "wear a mask" Murphy etc.

It's funny, instead of saying "avoid people as much as you can" they just tell people to wear masks. Popping into the shop for a red bull? Wear a mask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I wonder what people think of the "conspiracy theorists" from early in the pandemic?

These "nutjobs" told us the emphasis would change from case numbers to variants, which it now has. It's no longer about preventing an over surge in the health system.

It depends on what basis they'd be saying that. Once variants was known about there has always been a worry about them, rightly or wrongly based on evidence that fluctuates. I'm pretty sure they weren't called 'nutjobs' on just a tame statement like that, undoubtedly there was a lot more stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

have HSE social workers got a jab yet?

I am aware of a TUSLA employee who is classified as a social worker, yes, they have received the first dose.

This employee visits schools, and maybe houses, but is not a healthcare worker, in the sense that they do not meet sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Masks are over rated.

They obviously don't do much to prevent the spread of the virus

What's this based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pussyhands wrote:
    Masks are over rated.

They obviously don't do much to prevent the spread of the virus yet people act like it's the best thing they can do.

People putting it in their twitter names to let people know how woke they are. Michael "wear a mask" Murphy etc.

It's funny, instead of saying "avoid people as much as you can" they just tell people to wear masks. Popping into the shop for a red bull? Wear a mask!!
    Have you honestly not seen any of the videos testing out masks versus no masks?
    At this stage after so long to have the opinion that masks aren't important it's like you'd want to be deliberately avoiding educating yourself on the best practices during this pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

How early in the pandemic. The earlier it was said the more hard it is to appreciate there was any actual genuine reasoning behind the statements tbh. I think some of those people made big claims based on very little fact. Broken clocks are right twice a day.. How could anyone possibly have predicted with confidence that concern would become more centred on variants than the existing disease?

eagle eye wrote: »
    At this stage after so long to have the opinion that masks aren't important it's like you'd want to be deliberately avoiding educating yourself on the best practices during this pandemic.

There was more cases in February with masks than their was in March 2020 without them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

There’s kitchen porters in there who have gotten jabs

It’s a disgrace really, all done 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

I wonder if they all get paid the same, or does it depend on the rota.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bennyl10 wrote: »
    There’s kitchen porters in there who have gotten jabs

It’s a disgrace really, all done 2 weeks ago

If they're a section 38/39 charity then it's perfectly allowed to have gotten a vaccine under the healthcare worker rollout.

Telling employees of a section 38/39 charity to classify themselves as healthcare workers isn't falsifying anything.

Clarification from either charity or daily mail would be welcome on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

If they're a section 38/39 charity then it's perfectly allowed to have gotten a vaccine under the healthcare worker rollout.

Telling employees of a section 38/39 charity to classify themselves as healthcare workers isn't falsifying anything.

Clarification from either charity or daily mail would be welcome on the issue.
    the ‘don’t tell anyone yeve for the vaccine’ (which staff were told) is very telling

You’d struggle to justify this as essential when charities nationwide haven’t been vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pussyhands wrote:
    There was more cases in February with masks than their was in March 2020 without them...
    And you've no idea how that happened? Pointless talking to you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

eagle eye wrote: »

Masks are a nonsense. Like telling people to wear them outdoors. People think they are a magic shield so don't bother standing back from people.

Nobody wears a mask at a house party or in a direct provision centre.

Masks didn't stop meat factory outbreaks.

Masks are not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You wear PPE to protect yourself not others around you.
    Even if you're a covid denier/whatever, this is just wrong for PPE in general.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Masks are over rated.

Masks are a nonsense. Like telling people to wear them outdoors. People think they are a magic shield so don't bother standing back from people.

Nobody wears a mask at a house party or in a direct provision centre.

Masks didn't stop meat factory outbreaks.

Masks are not the answer.

Mod:

There is a masks thread for this discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ficheall wrote: »
    Even if you're a covid denier/whatever, this is just wrong for PPE in general.

It's not actually. You wear PPE to protect yourself, first and foremost. However, that is only one part of a safe work environment. A more important part is carrying out a Risk Assessment of the task you'll be carrying out. This is what really protects you and others around you while working. In fact, someone wearing PPE and not carrying out a proper risk assessment will be more dangerous to work around as it can give them a false sense of security.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That’s because of the testing regime in Ireland at that time it was Neolithic.

JRant wrote: »
    It's not actually. You wear PPE to protect yourself, first and foremost. However, that is only one part of a safe work environment. A more important part is carrying out a Risk Assessment of the task you'll be carrying out. This is what really protects you and others around you while working. In fact, someone wearing PPE and not carrying out a proper risk assessment will be more dangerous to work around as it can give them a false sense of security.
    First and foremost, sure, but it also provides some protection for others in many medical settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

We must be careful not to oversell the impact of vaccines
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/we-must-be-careful-not-to-oversell-the-impact-of-vaccines-1.4527275

Wow, just wow. What a terrible piece written by a member of NPHET. As I’ve said before, they should now be disbanded and refreshed with a mixed group covering all areas of society from health to the economy. In their current guise, they have failed time and again to come up with any solution beyond a hard lockdown and despite having over a year to do so they can offer very little as an alternate solution. They are also wildly out of touch with reality and have completely ‘lost the room’.

Taking some specific examples from this article;

She say that vaccines will not make the pandemic end - well actually recent data out of Israel, UK and US suggest that they all provide almost 100% protection against hospitalisation and death for all known variants. Technically the pandemic may not end but life can go back to normal - she infers that it can’t.

She suggests that there is very little evidence on the effects of transmission by the vaccine. In fact there is significant and growing evidence to suggest they prevent transmission.

She uses Chile as an example of a country with allegedly 50% of the pop vaccinated where they had to introduce more restrictions. Talk about picking the narrative to suit your argument. The UK, Israel and the US have all been able to significantly reduce restrictions at a similar progress of vaccination.

She applauds our evidence based approach to easing restrictions - is she referring to the non existent evidence that golf and tennis cause Covid to spread, the non existent evidence that being one of the only countries in the world to close construction prevents spread, the non existent evidence that click/collect services create spread. Perhaps someone should also give them some actual evidence of the positive effects these types of things will have on people’s well being, the economy and overall buy in to other restrictions!

She tells us that we need to be smart and creative over the next few months - hahaha, NPHET would’nt know smart or creative if it jumped up and slapped them in the face - they have failed to apply any smart thinking or creative solutions to our problems for over a year now!!

Of course, she uses her platform for a pop at international travel. As a paid public servant, economic matters are of no concern to her!

She signs off with ‘it’s not rocket science’ - what a condescending finish as if we should all be able to do it all the time - site don’t worry about the monumental affects on people’s livelihoods, the fact that many people have lost their jobs, their careers and will suffer longer than most other European countries because of the advice of an incompetent and dysfunctional NPHET combined with a spineless government.

We will be in this mess for longer than we need to, with a higher debt than is necessary with a significantly damaged international reputation for business and tourism if we don’t do something now to change course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Golfman64 wrote: »
    We must be careful not to oversell the impact of vaccines
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/we-must-be-careful-not-to-oversell-the-impact-of-vaccines-1.4527275

Wow, just wow. What a terrible piece written by a member of NPHET. As I’ve said before, they should now be disbanded and refreshed with a mixed group covering all areas of society from health to the economy. In their current guise, they have failed time and again to come up with any solution beyond a hard lockdown and despite having over a year to do so they can offer very little as an alternate solution. They are also wildly out of touch with reality and have completely ‘lost the room’.

Taking some specific examples from this article;

She say that vaccines will not make the pandemic end - well actually recent data out of Israel, UK and US suggest that they all provide almost 100% protection against hospitalisation and death for all known variants. Technically the pandemic may not end but life can go back to normal - she infers that it can’t.

She suggests that there is very little evidence on the effects of transmission by the vaccine. In fact there is significant and growing evidence to suggest they prevent transmission.

She uses Chile as an example of a country with allegedly 50% of the pop vaccinated where they had to introduce more restrictions. Talk about picking the narrative to suit your argument. The UK, Israel and the US have all been able to significantly reduce restrictions at a similar progress of vaccination.

She applauds our evidence based approach to easing restrictions - is she referring to the non existent evidence that golf and tennis cause Covid to spread, the non existent evidence that being one of the only countries in the world to close construction prevents spread, the non existent evidence that click/collect services create spread. Perhaps someone should also give them some actual evidence of the positive effects these types of things will have on people’s well being, the economy and overall buy in to other restrictions!

She tells us that we need to be smart and creative over the next few months - hahaha, NPHET would’nt know smart or creative if it jumped up and slapped them in the face - they have failed to apply and smart thinking or creative solutions to our problems for over a year now!!

Of course, she uses her platform for a pop at international travel. As a paid public servant, economic matters are of no concern to her!

She signs off with ‘it’s not rocket science’ - what a condescending finish as if we should all be able to do it all the time - site don’t worry about the monumental affects on people’s livelihoods, the fact that many people have lost their jobs, their careers and will suffer longer than most other European countries because of the advice of an incompetent and dysfunctional NPHET combined with a spineless government.

We will be in this mess for longer than we need to, with a higher debt than is necessary with a significantly damaged international reputation for business and tourism if we don’t do something now to change course.

Tony Houlihan was trying to persuade us this time last year that masks didn’t work and were in fact dangerous. NPHET have an agenda.

jackboy wrote: »
    Tony Houlihan was trying to persuade us this time last year that masks didn’t work and were in fact dangerous. NPHET have an agenda.

And what is that in your opinion?

Trying to ensure there were supplies available for medical staff, who needed them the most, since people panicked and bought up ****loads of toilet paper, and food that they eventually ended up throwing out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

At the risk of dragging the thread into the territory of the Masks Thread, what on earth do you think NPHET's agenda is exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

And what is that in your opinion?

Their agenda now is to keep Covid infection rates down by any means, regardless of the economic or other health costs. Spreading fear that the vaccines don’t work is part of this. They frequently make statements that they know are untrue. This is hardly a surprise to anyone at this stage.

• Advertisement

Their agenda now is to keep Covid infection rates down by any means, regardless of the economic or other health costs. Spreading fear that the vaccines don’t work is part of this. They frequently make statements that they know are untrue. This is hardly a surprise to anyone at this stage.

Re read your post you’ve confused yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement