Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

And what is that in your opinion?

They have a clear agenda about Schools and cannot be trusted with their advice their. I think they have shown a lack of empathy for people in general now. People in this field I don't think really understand how much people have suffered during this. In general I thought they were during a good job until the wave around Christmas but the messaging since the New Year has been very poor and pretty strange. Like they are trying to play games with the public at press conferences.

In general I trusted NPHET's advice before this It's been very disappointing in the last few months. Anyway hopefully people society can return to near normaily sometime in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Re read your post you’ve confused yourself.

Not confused at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Golfman64 wrote: »
    We must be careful not to oversell the impact of vaccines
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/we-must-be-careful-not-to-oversell-the-impact-of-vaccines-1.4527275

Wow, just wow. What a terrible piece written by a member of NPHET. As I’ve said before, they should now be disbanded and refreshed with a mixed group covering all areas of society from health to the economy. In their current guise, they have failed time and again to come up with any solution beyond a hard lockdown and despite having over a year to do so they can offer very little as an alternate solution. They are also wildly out of touch with reality and have completely ‘lost the room’.

Taking some specific examples from this article;

She say that vaccines will not make the pandemic end - well actually recent data out of Israel, UK and US suggest that they all provide almost 100% protection against hospitalisation and death for all known variants. Technically the pandemic may not end but life can go back to normal - she infers that it can’t.

She suggests that there is very little evidence on the effects of transmission by the vaccine. In fact there is significant and growing evidence to suggest they prevent transmission.

She uses Chile as an example of a country with allegedly 50% of the pop vaccinated where they had to introduce more restrictions. Talk about picking the narrative to suit your argument. The UK, Israel and the US have all been able to significantly reduce restrictions at a similar progress of vaccination.

She applauds our evidence based approach to easing restrictions - is she referring to the non existent evidence that golf and tennis cause Covid to spread, the non existent evidence that being one of the only countries in the world to close construction prevents spread, the non existent evidence that click/collect services create spread. Perhaps someone should also give them some actual evidence of the positive effects these types of things will have on people’s well being, the economy and overall buy in to other restrictions!

She tells us that we need to be smart and creative over the next few months - hahaha, NPHET would’nt know smart or creative if it jumped up and slapped them in the face - they have failed to apply any smart thinking or creative solutions to our problems for over a year now!!

Of course, she uses her platform for a pop at international travel. As a paid public servant, economic matters are of no concern to her!

She signs off with ‘it’s not rocket science’ - what a condescending finish as if we should all be able to do it all the time - site don’t worry about the monumental affects on people’s livelihoods, the fact that many people have lost their jobs, their careers and will suffer longer than most other European countries because of the advice of an incompetent and dysfunctional NPHET combined with a spineless government.

We will be in this mess for longer than we need to, with a higher debt than is necessary with a significantly damaged international reputation for business and tourism if we don’t do something now to change course.

Dont forget "82% of the public agree with or think restrictions should be stricter" , "most people are still following the rules and soon in future you can meet 1 other person outside " - what horse****e!

Looking at any public park or coffee dock indicates they have long since lost the public support.

FF have 11% support and 70% of people think they are doing a bad job according to the latest red C poll.

This is nonsense propaganda, have we no independent media left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

wadacrack wrote: »
    They have a clear agenda about Schools and cannot be trusted with their advice their. I think they have shown a lack of empathy for people in general now. People in this field I don't think really understand how much people have suffered during this. In general I thought they were during a good job until the wave around Christmas but the messaging since the New Year has been very poor and pretty strange. Like they are trying to play games with the public at press conferences.

In general I trusted NPHET's advice before this It's been very disappointing in the last few months. Anyway hopefully people society can return to near normaily sometime in the summer.

If there's an agenda about schools it's coming from government rather than NPHET. I think NPHET are conservative and cautious to a fault, but I don't think there's anything more sinister than that going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

jackboy wrote: »
    Their agenda now is to keep Covid infection rates down by any means, regardless of the economic or other health costs. Spreading fear that the vaccines don’t work is part of this. They frequently make statements that they know are untrue. This is hardly a surprise to anyone at this stage.

That makes no sense in relation to your post as quoted earlier. What agenda pertained to the stance on masks last year? If you mean doing what they were tasked to do, then what did you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Not confused at all.

Ok
    Their agenda now is to keep Covid infection rates down by any means,

If they want to keep infection Down as you say wouldn’t
    Spreading fear that the vaccines don’t work,
    only put people off taking vaccines and therefore increase infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Will we find out how many are vaccinated on Thursday today or will we have to wait until Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/we-must-be-careful-not-to-oversell-the-impact-of-vaccines-1.4527275

She say that vaccines will not make the pandemic end
    Although vaccines ultimately offer a potential exit strategy from the pandemic, this must be done gradually to mitigate large-scale public health consequences.

That is not somebody saying vaccines won't end the pandemic. Vaccines aren't a silver bullet. They may become it but the evidence isn't quite there yet. She acknowledged there was there preliminary data suggesting they halted transmission you reflected this as her saying there was very little evidence of vaccines blocking transmission.

Doesn't seem likely you are fairly reflecting this person's positions.

Ok

The elderly have mostly being vaccinated. We have been told that everything we are doing is to save granny. That doesn’t apply anymore.

It will be ages before most people are vaccinated. Now that granny is safe they are trying to stop people getting back to normal. Vaccines are now just a tool to fight covid and will not end the pandemic and may be useless against variants.

They want is to simultaneously continue to get vaccinated while at the same time continue with the restrictions for the rest of the summer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The elderly have mostly being vaccinated. We have been told that everything we are doing is to save granny. That doesn’t apply anymore.
    What are you defining as "elderly", and how many of them have been vaccinated?

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    What are you defining as "elderly", and how many of them have been vaccinated?

Over 70’s. Most have had a shot or will very soon.

Not confused at all.

Ok

It will be ages before most people are vaccinated. Now that granny is safe they are trying to stop people getting back to normal. Vaccines are now just a tool to fight covid and will not end the pandemic and may be useless against variants.

They want is to simultaneously continue to get vaccinated while at the same time continue with the restrictions for the rest of the summer at least.

Yes and ease them off as more and more are vaccinated. I said to you re read your last post have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

via The Irish Times

Wow, just wow. What a terrible piece written by a member of NPHET. As I’ve said before, they should now be disbanded and refreshed with a mixed group covering all areas of society from health to the economy. In their current guise, they have failed time and again to come up with any solution beyond a hard lockdown and despite having over a year to do so they can offer very little as an alternate solution. They are also wildly out of touch with reality and have completely ‘lost the room’.

Taking some specific examples from this article;

She say that vaccines will not make the pandemic end - well actually recent data out of Israel, UK and US suggest that they all provide almost 100% protection against hospitalisation and death for all known variants. Technically the pandemic may not end but life can go back to normal - she infers that it can’t.

She suggests that there is very little evidence on the effects of transmission by the vaccine. In fact there is significant and growing evidence to suggest they prevent transmission.

She uses Chile as an example of a country with allegedly 50% of the pop vaccinated where they had to introduce more restrictions. Talk about picking the narrative to suit your argument. The UK, Israel and the US have all been able to significantly reduce restrictions at a similar progress of vaccination.

She applauds our evidence based approach to easing restrictions - is she referring to the non existent evidence that golf and tennis cause Covid to spread, the non existent evidence that being one of the only countries in the world to close construction prevents spread, the non existent evidence that click/collect services create spread. Perhaps someone should also give them some actual evidence of the positive effects these types of things will have on people’s well being, the economy and overall buy in to other restrictions!

She tells us that we need to be smart and creative over the next few months - hahaha, NPHET would’nt know smart or creative if it jumped up and slapped them in the face - they have failed to apply any smart thinking or creative solutions to our problems for over a year now!!

Of course, she uses her platform for a pop at international travel. As a paid public servant, economic matters are of no concern to her!

She signs off with ‘it’s not rocket science’ - what a condescending finish as if we should all be able to do it all the time - site don’t worry about the monumental affects on people’s livelihoods, the fact that many people have lost their jobs, their careers and will suffer longer than most other European countries because of the advice of an incompetent and dysfunctional NPHET combined with a spineless government.

We will be in this mess for longer than we need to, with a higher debt than is necessary with a significantly damaged international reputation for business and tourism if we don’t do something now to change course.
    Absolutely slanders vaccination as a solution and then speculates that poor uptake in the population might delay our country's exit from lockdown. You couldn't make it up.

Yes and ease them off as more and more are vaccinated. I said to you re read your last post have you?

Yes, not sure what you are on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I can't see any evidence of them being willing to ease restrictions as more people are vaccinated.

Oh except two fully vaccinated people can meet indoors now.

Why not 30??!

Yes, not sure what you are on about.

You have now flip flopped on your previous post about NEPHT

And my question to you was

and then you go off on a tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

At least, according to todays opinion poll in the independent, people are shifting away from support of government and NPHET.

Finally. Its been an obvious shambles to some of us for a long time now.

You have now flip flopped on your previous post about NEPHT

And my question to you was

and then you go off on a tangent

Not really, I am talking about NPHET statements.

Masks don’t work then masks must be compulsory.

Vaccines will end the pandemic then vaccines won’t end the pandemic.

That’s not what you said beforehand
    Their agenda now is to keep Covid infection rates down by any means, regardless of the economic or other health costs. Spreading fear that the vaccines don’t work is part of this. They frequently make statements that they know are untrue. This is hardly a surprise to anyone at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

NPHET loved themselves for long enough, they got to guide a country and everybody believed in them.

Now they becoming despised and a year later they still cling to 2 or 3 press conferences a week.

• Advertisement

That’s not what you said beforehand

Interesting. You find what I am saying confusing and contradictory but not so with NPHET. They are obviously better at this than me. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Over 70’s. Most have had a shot or will very soon.
    And by mid-May they'll all be fully vaxxed, right? So you think people should adhere to restrictions until then?

Ficheall wrote: »
    And by mid-May they'll all be fully vaxxed, right? So you think people should adhere to restrictions until then?

After a year the restrictions that don’t have a significant impact on the virus spread should be dropped. Mostly the outdoor stuff along with some other nonsense restrictions.

Interesting. You find what I am saying confusing and contradictory but not so with NPHET. They are obviously better at this than me. ðŸ˜

You found your own statement confusing and tried to dig your way up, a school boy error.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It will be ages before most people are vaccinated. Now that granny is safe they are trying to stop people getting back to normal. Vaccines are now just a tool to
    t.

I am being very pedantic here but there are still large amounts of grannies not vaccinated . A granny can be 50 years old and many in their early 60's too .We have a bit to go before granny is vaccinated .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

jackboy wrote:
    Interesting. You find what I am saying confusing and contradictory but not so with NPHET. They are obviously better at this than me. ðŸ˜
    NPHET are scientists and medical professionals whose job is to study data and make math based recommendations.

They don't rule the country, the government do that.

Any issues you have with lockdowns, masks etc. should be directed at the decision makers not advisers.

Remember on a couple of occasions when Varadkar and Martin ignored the advice from NPHET and how bad things got?

You found your own statement confusing and tried to dig your way up, a school boy error.
    😂. I won’t even point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

If there's an agenda about schools it's coming from government rather than NPHET. I think NPHET are conservative and cautious to a fault, but I don't think there's anything more sinister than that going on.

Listen to the press conferences. They are not transparent at all about transmission particularly Nolan. Playdates are empathized alot despite no evidence of them. This current variant behaves much differently in kids . Most countries recognize this but not Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

They never said that masks didn't work. In the early days they said that the data about their ineffectiveness was inconclusive .... and it was at the time. Many of the world health agencies faced the same issue and adopted the same approach.

They also never said that vaccines will end the pandemic - they are an aid in the overall effort to reduce disease transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't like the mixed messages being given out at present.

The gov adverts are talking about how good the roll out is going and brighter days ahead.

Yet some woman from nphet yesterday was talking about 2 new strains and how we are on the verge of a potential new wave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement